Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 10: Part One of Something Great

I feel like people aren't getting that this kind of stuff happens all the time, we just normally don't get to see it. Publishers have budgets and dates, but stuff happens and it isn't always possible. And with publishers, that can either mean more money/time, or it can mean cancellation.

With this project, it's not in the hands of publishers. And as much as the backers of this project would like to consider themselves publishers, they aren't. They had the choice of lopping off half the game, or splitting it into episodes, or they even could have just cancelled it and given you nothing. I think, of the available options, we are getting the best one.

Tim is so such a perplexing character - his process is to fly towards the sun until his wings start to burn. As a employee of an indie creative company not in the games field that seems downright irresponsible to me and truthfully I think that a company should understand budgeting and time management so these kind of problems, that really could destroy a whole company, don't have to be solved with somewhat muddled messaging about a game being split in two - on the other hand the man is responsible for some of the greatest experiences with games of my childhood and adult life and the game looks fucking beautiful... and it's only with this ambition can truly great things be realized. I'm torn but either way I really commend the DF and two player team for putting this together: It feels real, stressful, insightful and really one of the only serialized pieces of content that I truly buy into... DFA is my Mad Men.

Tim is so such a perplexing character - his process is to fly towards the sun until his wings start to burn. As a employee of an indie creative company not in the games field that seems downright irresponsible to me and truthfully I think that a company should understand budgeting and time management so these kind of problems, that really could destroy a whole company, don't have to be solved with somewhat muddled messaging about a game being split in two

Unfortunately, in today's world, the developer makes the game, and the publisher does budgeting and management. The purpose of the Kickstarter was to do it differently. And yes, maybe Tim got a bit carried away with the scope of the game and thought too big, but after being caged by publishers for so long, who wouldn't want to spread their wings and fly a little bit?

Hmmm…ok. Nice episode…but…

Why am I feeling a little torn, a teeny bit duped and quite frustrated? No, I’m not a publisher, but I do work in the games industry, in development so I totally understand the situation. I’m also a designer / writer / creative type person and if I wasn’t working on an awesome game right now, I would offer up my services for free.

What I’m struggling with is this… You asked for around $400k initially. If you had only raised that much what would’ve happened? But you got over 3 million dollars. 3 million dollars. Sorry, I thought it was worth repeating. You’ve been making games for years – you know how much stuff costs and so do some of us (your backers). I think, this is why I feel the way I do.

The work you guys do is awesome and you have a lot of respect out here, but I feel you might be skating on thin ice. Tim, stop spending piles of money on fancy cars, sit down and the write the damn script and design. It was a great analogy, but possibly the wrong message. Can you see what we’re seeing here?

If you walked into a store and bought a muffin, paid the full amount, but they sliced it in half before handing it to you, surely you’d question that, right? However, if the muffin was whole, a little smaller, tasted really awesome, maybe with lemon drizzle in the center, soft, warm sponge…sorry…sorry I digress, where was I…oh yeah…I wouldn’t question it. I’d go back the next day and buy another. You’ve basically told me I’m only going to get half of what I paid for and the other half several months later. I’m not sure how the second half will taste a few months down the line.

You guys should perhaps listen to Greg (go Greg…yay!). I seem to remember he flagged scheduling issues a few episodes ago too?

Anyway…let me have part 1. It really does look great so far and I’m sure it’ll be awesome (btw – I’m expecting to play this first half on my iPad – not PC / steam). And I’m perfectly happy to buy part 2 if part 1 has Lemon Drizzle in the middle ;)

Good luck guys. Don’t stand still...keep skating.

You claim to be a writer, but you apparently aren't a good listener. The initial vision of the game was much smaller. It was because of the massive amount of money they got that decided to go bigger.

And Tim can do whatever he wants with his money. Regardless of what you might have going on in your head, Double Fine has been around for years and has more project than just this one. He is not only getting paid for the work he is doing now, but the work he did in the past.

And maybe you somehow missed it, but did you see the pages and pages of dialogue that he has? And that it isn't just in paragraphs but set up to go directly into the game? Did you also miss the part where he said that design is 100% done?

And you muffin analogy doesn't fit. In a store, the muffin is already made. The work has been done. If you tried to buy it and they cut it in half, that wouldn't make any sense. But this was something backed via kickstarter. We backed knowing full well that we could potentially not get anything other than a documentary showing Double Fine's complete failure. But we aren't. We've gotten a fantastic view behind the scenes, and we are also getting a game (that looks great at this point). But because the scope of the game is so much greater than what was originally planned, we are getting Act I while they finish Act 2. You know, sort of like that Walking Dead game that was absolutely fantastic.

You’re absolutely right. I’m completely torn between the creative genius of Tim and DF, and the business / management side of it, I see the struggles daily. So seeing it here, with such a wealth of experience, is really teeth grindingly frustrating. It is a stressful business to be in, you have to let the creative juices flow, and unless you’re in it, it’s really difficult to comprehend and get the balance right. I also commend 2PP for the episodes too as they’re really insightful and very unique … we’ve never seen game dev splayed out like this before. The game looks awesome. I follow with bated breath and look forward to the offerings. (Oh and I have nothing going on in my head regarding Tim’s money – bit weird ).

The more important question is:

Was this information known before the Massive Chalice kickstarter?

If so, then this is incredibly disappointing.

To raise $1m for a new project when it’s clear Double Fine couldn’t deliver a game for $3.7m (plus a $1m from Brutal on PC, plus a $1m from Humble Bundle - I’ve lost count) is playing dirty.

I’m calling shenanigans.

Honestly - I don’t know if I would have backed Massive Chalice if I’d known this information three weeks ago.

I’m not upset by the delay of the game. And I’m certainly not unhappy with the documentary. Heck - I’m thrilled. It’s probably more valuable than the end product.

This is a black eye for Double Fine who repeatedly have shown they can’t deliver a project within a certain budget and timeframe.

Extremely sad. Please continuing doing the best work you can do, because you owe 90,000 fans a lot.

The more important question is:

Was this information known before the Massive Chalice kickstarter?

If so, then this is incredibly disappointing.

To raise $1m for a new project when it’s clear Double Fine couldn’t deliver a game for $3.7m (plus a $1m from Brutal on PC, plus a $1m from Humble Bundle - I’ve lost count) is playing dirty.

I’m calling shenanigans.

Honestly - I don’t know if I would have backed Massive Chalice if I’d known this information three weeks ago.

I’m not upset by the delay of the game. And I’m certainly not unhappy with the documentary. Heck - I’m thrilled. It’s probably more valuable than the end product.

This is a black eye for Double Fine who repeatedly have shown they can’t deliver a project within a certain budget and timeframe.

Extremely sad. Please continuing doing the best work you can do, because you owe 90,000 fans a lot.

You can't really compare the two based on initial budget. For starters, DFA's funding also included paying the 2PP guys for the documentaries. They were originally going to receive 1/4 of the money, who knows what it turned into after the Kickstarter blew up.

Second, they basically started from scratch on DFA. They had no engine, no tools, no workflow, nothing. The first several months were spent simply getting the tech to power the game working. Massive Chalice uses Buddha, which most everyone at Double Fine is intimately familiar with. They can literally just start making assets and start plugging them in. Want a good example of what can be accomplished when they know the engine inside and out, and have only content to worry about? Autonomous. And that only took two weeks.

Any chance of a Sidequest featuring Tim's 'Cuda with its natural soundtrack? :)

This is great news!! It must mean even more episodes of the documentary series, right? I backed this project primarily for the documentary series (which has been superb so far) and secondarily for a tiny retro adventure game. A game of the kind that as often frustrated me as much as entertained me back in the day. To comment on the muffin analogy, it feels more like I ordered a cupcake made for tomorrow, was upgraded to a sheet cake for next week, then told that I could have half a sheet cake in three days and the rest in six. I'm happy. If anything, I'm feeling a little guilty that I didn't pledge more money.

Well worth the wait as usual.

We are seeing the sausage get made. I feel like I've learned a hell of a lot about game development.

this game is going to be so amazing

Dear Double Fine:

Please release this episode free to the public right now. This will convince more people to back the game, a LOT. Use this attention for something positive, and hit them upside the head with this amazing documentary episode that shows the game off great! :D I've mentioned this episode to friends a few times already about how good the game looks in this episode.

Dear Double Fine:

Please release this episode free to the public right now. This will convince more people to back the game, a LOT. Use this attention for something positive, and hit them upside the head with this amazing documentary episode that shows the game off great! :D I've mentioned this episode to friends a few times already about how good the game looks in this episode.

This is an interesting, but conflicting idea. This stuff was supposed to be for backers only. And just because some people decided to take advantage and post it on the outside to try and boost their ad revenue, I don't know if it's right for DF to release it to appease the non-backers.

Besides, while this episode does paint a really good picture of the decision, you have to see the previous episodes to understand how we got where we are. I don't think releasing a single episode would really help explain it all.

I already feel like I've got my money's worth from these documentaries alone. The game will be a bonus.

I already feel like I've got my money's worth from these documentaries alone. The game will be a bonus.

That's exactly how I feel. Originally, I only backed for the game, and had no interest in the documentary. But once I watched it, it's been completely worth it. The game is just the cherry on top

Dear Double Fine:

At this point, they really just need to release an official statement with more context. This was meant for us, the backers, who have watched the documentaries and know (mostly) what's going on. A lot of people are taking it as a kickstarter failure which is terrible because it definitely is not. Hopefully Tim and the crew will get something out there soon to temper the steel a bit.

I am wondering if it would be at all possible to get the rights of your previous games from LucasArts (now Disney?) and port them onto Steam...

The reason is because I never got a chance to play Grim Fandango and the game is really old and won't work properly on my computer. I would definitely pay $$$ for Grim Fandango on Steam if you could perhaps just port the games (no need to re-do graphics and that, just make it compatible with XP/Vista/7/8 as well as Mac/Linux)

Or maybe even a Tim Schafer/Lucasarts bundle that includes...

-Grim Fandango

-Full Throttle

-Monkey Island 1 and 2 (and maybe 3?)

-Maniac Mansion

I would buy that (especially Grim Fandango) but I understand if you can't...I'm sure the rights would be hard to obtain now thanks to the Lucasarts buyout by Disney.

Hooooray!!

Has Tim lost weight? He looks great!

He has! He's been on a juice diet.

I was initially a little frustrated by this news, but reading what's going down more in depth, I think everything's going to be fine. I'm incredibly relieved that everyone who paid for the game won't have to pay again for the second part, and January 2014 is a lot sooner than I expected. That'll be a most excellent early birthday present! I don't mind only getting the first part for now. Hopefully the sales of Psychonauts and Brütal Legend'll go up a lot thanks to those Steam Trading Cards.

I'm glad I saved my artwork of Vela and Shae (sp?) as a PDF. Should I update the drawing I did with their names?

I love that Tim has a 'Metal Blade Records' folder on in his METAL folder :D

kTScFSa.png?1

DF Guys, can I share this image? Like tweet it to Metal Blade or something? If that's spoiling anything I won't, but I think it would be cool :P

Dear Double Fine:

At this point, they really just need to release an official statement with more context. This was meant for us, the backers, who have watched the documentaries and know (mostly) what's going on. A lot of people are taking it as a kickstarter failure which is terrible because it definitely is not. Hopefully Tim and the crew will get something out there soon to temper the steel a bit.

Tim's Cuda. Thats all the context you need. That analogy, and hearing the mechanic saying basically the exact same thing but in the context of fixing a car. That was so perfect. Gonna be way better than expected, but also its gonna cost twice as much as expected :D

Dear Double Fine:

Tim's Cuda. Thats all the context you need. That analogy, and hearing the mechanic saying basically the exact same thing but in the context of fixing a car. That was so perfect. Gonna be way better than expected, but also its gonna cost twice as much as expected :D

I'm more than okay with that, as long as we get that final product.

How disappointing. A game that got 9 times the original budget can't even meet the budget and hasn't met its deadlines. To finish the game they need nearly 18 times the original proposed budget. You would think this is government work.

Explains why this episode was delayed too, so they could get the Massive Chalice money in before they displayed their inability to actually deliver on what was proposed with 9 times the original budget.

I vote for you to ditch the pre-release thing.

I mean "Broken Age, part 1" as a stand alone game for $[insert sensible price point here] makes sense to me... and then lather "Broken Age, part 2" as a stand alone game for $[re-insert sensible price point here]. I think that would work well with platforms like Steam and the AppStore, where it’s easier to have people committed to $15-ish games than a $30-ish game (on top of delivering 1 half of the game now and a promise of the second half coming later).

But maybe it’s bad that people would be able to play part 2 before part 1, I don’t know... But you could always have a "full version" Broken Age at the time of the release of part 2 for the brick-and-mortar shops (is the game going to be sold at brick and mortars?) and others places...

And in that train of thought – Quick question, isn’t april too close to january? I mean marketing-wise, wouldn’t it be better december for part one, and then mid-may for part two?

My 2-cents worth of opinion :¬À

How disappointing. A game that got 9 times the original budget can't even meet the budget and hasn't met its deadlines. To finish the game they need nearly 18 times the original proposed budget. You would think this is government work.

Explains why this episode was delayed too, so they could get the Massive Chalice money in before they displayed their inability to actually deliver on what was proposed with 9 times the original budget.

You know there is more to it than that, the world just isnt like binary system either 0 or 1.

They didn exactly give us the original game now did they ?.

They didn just give us a 5man project for an old pixel style scumm engine adventure game.

So yeah it might not be perfect. But i suggest people instead of being so negative, read into about what kickstarter is about, its not just a fancy preorder system.

Its an investment, you take a risk, to support someone.

Infact i think people should stop being negative and actually be happy that Double Fine are this honest.

Its not like companies who uses publishers always gets games done on time, in fact i would bet my money that more often than not all games dont get finished on time. because its not like making a cake. imagine all the different aspects that has to come together to make a game, then a great game.

Some people really lack the ability to see stuff objectivly from other peoples viewpoint.

Not to mention this is not only the first major kickstarter, its THEIR first project like this, so i suggest people cut them some slack.

Ill bet my money, they have learned a lot of lessons for the Massive chalise kickstarter. Thats how life is, you learn from your mistakes. If you cant accept anyone making mistakes, we would never make any progress. because it would be you either do this perfect or you dont do it at all. what a wonderful world that would be.

And not to mention at the end of the day, i think it would actual be easier to have to deal with a publisher, compared to 90.000 backers, which you cant ever never in a million years please everyone no matter what they do.

They wont be the first and they wont be the last kickstarter to run into this, infact some kickstarter will fail where you lose all your money, thats just the nature of it, it will happen sooner or later. But these are the risks that im personally willing to take, in the hopes of getting some great games.

Because im so tired of modern big companies boring games dumbed down to sell the most copies. I would rather risk 50-100-200$ on something like this.

A company being very open and honest goes a long way with me, you cant put a price on that imo.

Thanks for the episode, 2PP and DF!

Look forward to Part 1 and Parts 2.

Smiles

Not judging, and I want this to be the best game possible ever.

But food for thought:

A small budget game, “Machinarium” was developed over a period of three years by Amanita Design with a budget of 1,000 dollars.
In the end, the game (Superbrothers S&S EP) ended up costing "around $200,000" over the course of 18 months.

To me it's more worrying for any projects beyond Broken Age; if they all end up costing several millions.

Hey everyone, first post here.

Episode was great, and I really do hope that the final game will be available in it's whole instead of buying it in two separate parts.

Nope, the link above the video explains that. Part 2 shows up as a free update.

Another fantastic episode. I think I can see why it wouldn't have been wise to release this during the Massive Chalice campaign (which is why it's a good idea to not jump to conclusions), and it was best to have all this content come at once.

My favourite part is somebody saying "Greg is my Iron Giant" as the camera pans across the office :D

I personally think you guys made the right decision in the situation you were faced with. It'll work out great, I promise! :)

Sign in to follow this