Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 10: Part One of Something Great

Finally, it's here!

Hopefully the delay was worth it, because this extra-meaty episode (gross) contains some of the most significant developments about Broken Age to date.

In fact, Tim explained the latest news himself. You should read that now if you haven't, then come back and watch the episode.

All caught up? Okay, good! Here we go!

[vimeo]69527676[/vimeo]

The game is looking fantastic, way better than I thought it would and that's without ever doubting you Double Fine boys and girls. Seeing everything coming together, particularly with the animations and lighting coming it, it's blowing me away! I can't wait to play it!

About that. I'm making a promise to you now that I will not play it until both parts are out and I can play it as you originally intended. I'm obviously a backer so it makes no difference money-wise, but hopefully some people who have not yet paid for a copy of the game will do so and hold off playing till April. I can already see I'm going to buy Broken Age again when it comes out on PS3, that artwork deserves to be seen on the best screen possible!

As one who is in it primarily for the documentary and only secondarily for the game, my worry is that DF might not be willing or able to continue to produce such compelling coverage of game development in their studio. I, for one, hope that this turns out to be a bump in the road and a learning experience for the future that leads to true mastery of this style of open development.

Since I have easily got my money's worth so far, I've chipped in a little more in anticipation of more episodes of the documentary. Likewise my hopes for a similar level of quality coverage on Massive Chalice made funding that project an easy decision (even though I think the non-HD documentary is actually free IIRC) - heck I've already enjoyed the boardgaming stream enough to justify the pledge.

I'm not super worried about either the prospect of a content cut or a pre-release being made available.

Cutting content is painful, but when done with care it can improve the quality of the end result. I hope this is the case here - that they are able to cut the least awesome bits and just have the most awesome remain (I understand it's not necessarily as simple as that though).

As a backer, I can pretend the pre-release doesn't exist and happily collect the game when it arrives. The only concern is the longer-term effect on the company - I hope that the game's quality will lead to sales that mean the studio can call this project a success, and that as a result DF can continue to produce further projects in a similar style, taking the wisdom they have gained into the next project.

Good luck guys and gals. I find myself unexpectedly invested your work and that is a rare and beautiful thing (for me).

Every time I see backers saying they'll just wait for the full game release to play, I think, "What about the Beta? You guys aren't all-in and going to help find & fix any bugs before the public gets to see the game?" It may just be me, but I love working through Beta versions of games, documenting every little glitch, knowing I'll see a more refined product at launch.

Whether it's the full game or not, I'll be there during any Betas DF opens to us.

DOn't know why it took this long for me to notice, but Justin Bailey? Is there a Metroid connection?

Every time I see backers saying they'll just wait for the full game release to play, I think, "What about the Beta? You guys aren't all-in and going to help find & fix any bugs before the public gets to see the game?" It may just be me, but I love working through Beta versions of games, documenting every little glitch, knowing I'll see a more refined product at launch.

Whether it's the full game or not, I'll be there during any Betas DF opens to us.

Problem with adventure games the first time is the best because of the story you know allot of it already after first playthrough.

I'm with you, looking forward to the beta.

Great episode. I really feels like the 2PP and Double Fine teams are putting all their heart in the game. Totally worth waiting a couple more months

I just couldn't NOT do this. I have no idea if anybody else has already done so. Enjoy.

n0Pe6x4.gif

an Adventure Time handshake. nice!

as to the game and update, it's all amazing. super. DF keep doing what you're doing and spend my backer contribution however the hell you want.

You had me at "like Empire Strikes Back"

Not part one and two but episode 4, 5, ... 6? Don't care about waiting, more content in a compelling story is better than less. So please no cutting unless it really did not add anything!

I just wanted to let you guys know I'm more than fine with the game being broken into two parts if it means more money for the project. Keep up the good work, the game is looking great!

MORE POSITIVE FEEDBACK COMING YOUR WAY!

I want to further encourage you guys and just say that I'm annoyed with how people online are talking about "another kickstarter game that's failing to deliver." You already have delivered! Yeah, I hope to play an awesome game someday, but seriously, the story REQUIRES conflict. And the development of this game is the story I'm interested in.

I'm actually glad everything didn't just go smoothly and on schedule. That would have been disappointing (not that I'm wishing hard times on DF or anything).

One of the main things I've learned from DF over the last few months is that limitations are an important part of life. You have to have a goal and you have to work towards that goal no matter how realistic ( http://www.fluentin3months.com/possible/ ). It's what drives us in this life. It's why death is such an important part of life. There is an end to all things and we want to accomplish something great in the time that we've got. How do we do it? Do we go for the Gold or settle for something less? BAM! You've got a purpose for living :)

OK, I digress... sorry :) I'm really looking forward to watching everything progress and haven't lost an ounce of excitement over this game (actually my excitement has only grown). My Adventure Backer t-shirt is the favorite shirt I own.

The only thing I'm not really happy about is the lack of Ron Gilbert in the project, I would have liked better if Tim was sharing his ideas and making puzzles with him (no offense for the other designer they hired, I don't know anything about him... sidequest time? =) )

Loved Tim looking like a straight up badass at the end there, driving off into the darkness with his shades on.

Awesome episode as always and I am totally for the idea of cutting the game in half. This whole time I've been watching the documentaries I've just been wanting to get my hands on the game so having the ability to do that sounds awesome. I personally look at it like episodic content, similar to the way halo 4 had weekly releases of their spartan ops or similar to an expansion pack for any computer game. Getting a glimpse of the game, ending in a big cliff hangar, would increase my anticipation and excitement about the project and really have me looking forward to the next half.

The games looking great as always and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

The only thing I'm not really happy about is the lack of Ron Gilbert in the project, I would have liked better if Tim was sharing his ideas and making puzzles with him (no offense for the other designer they hired, I don't know anything about him... sidequest time? =) )

Or maybe Massive Chalice Kickstarter-update time! ;-) 2PP did a sidequest-like

with John during the campaign. You should also check out the three part interview with Brad. Some very interesting stuff on Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Iron Brigade (and Brad's personal life) in that one. 2PP really knows how to tell these stories well.

I think it's safe to say that Broken Age is very much Tim's project. It would be great to see him design some puzzles together with Ron, but I don't think you would notice the difference in the end. John was only on the project for a week, acting more like "an external brain for Tim". He also worked on Levi's Black Lake during Amnesia Fortnight by the way.

I just couldn't NOT do this. I have no idea if anybody else has already done so. Enjoy.

n0Pe6x4.gif

an Adventure Time handshake. nice!

Double Fine Adventure Time!

This needs to happen.

I'm a fairly early backer and I'll be honest: At first, when I read about this on a different site (with a slightly misleading headline), I was pretty pissed.

After reading the details and thinking about it, though, I'm completely fine with this idea of getting the first half out there as fast as possible to make some money and deliver the second half a bit later. I trust you guys at DoubleFine thought about this long and hard and if you say this has the best chance to deliver the game you envisioned and I want to play: Go for it!

What I've seen from the game so far looks completely awesome, so I really don't want you to cut out anything you'd deem important or fun. The only thing I'd ask is: Please ship the physical copy only when the second half is done and include it in there. I really wouldn't want "half a game" in that box.

Hehe, best thing is to read comments here, by actual backers, and on various sites, where people claim to be backers, but somehow can't answer when you ask them something from the documentary. Again, as a backer (well, a late one:) I fully support this decision (and yes, I am aware that my support, or disapproval means nothing, but you know how good it is to feel important and 'part of this closed and special community', when in reality, you are not=). As a Project Manager I see this documentary as an awesome learning material (I don't do any software dev project lately), and analyze where did the project went 'wrong way', how would I have avoided it (I know I most probably would't, but you point that out, oh imaginary reader and voice in my head, it's my fantasy, and here, in my head, I'm an uber PM:). And honestly, I can't understand the whole uproar, how many projects, of this complexity and this many hours, do go under-budget, and/or under-schedule? And fixed price projects are the worst ones, as you have to have godly pm powers to mitigate everything well in advance to deliver in time. And I don't think that anyone could mitigate Tim's chaotic (in a good way:) creative nature=)

Just one key question - does the extended schedule means extended documentary? If yes - that's abso-f*-kin-lutley awesome. If no - then I would like to make an official complaint, and .. oh, who am I kidding, if this thing stopped today, I would say I have got more from my money than I ever anticipated, and that is just from documentary, as countless people said here - the game was my only reason for backing, and now it's an uber-awesome bonus. Thanks for doing an awesome job, for showing the insides of game dev, for those of us, who always dreamed of working in it, but never had (nor most probably will:) a chance!

I just bought stacking and the cave from the app store, also a coffee mug and a shirt from the double fine store, i know it's not much but i just hope every tiny bit of money can help get this project done. I really want this game to be made as it was originally envisioned by Tim without having to cut because of budget reasons, and I am definitely willing to wait as long as it takes. Maybe i'm too much of a fanboy here, but double fine has always delivered more than excellent quality products and, to me, the trust this team has gained over the years through their sheer creativity, beauty and fun justifies my full support. So, if I am willing to spend 60 bucks on other "normal" games and wait years for the next Wes Anderson film, I am definitely up for a small wait to get a whole new adventure game from my favourite game creator.

I'm a fairly early backer and I'll be honest: At first, when I read about this on a different site (with a slightly misleading headline), I was pretty pissed.

After reading the details and thinking about it, though, I'm completely fine with this idea of getting the first half out there as fast as possible to make some money and deliver the second half a bit later. I trust you guys at DoubleFine thought about this long and hard and if you say this has the best chance to deliver the game you envisioned and I want to play: Go for it!

What I've seen from the game so far looks completely awesome, so I really don't want you to cut out anything you'd deem important or fun. The only thing I'd ask is: Please ship the physical copy only when the second half is done and include it in there. I really wouldn't want "half a game" in that box.

Heh heh, this was the LAST, BEST excuse I needed to spend more money on Double Fine. I finally purchased that wicked Eddie Riggs statue (with a couple other BL items), and I'm im-patiently waiting for it to arrive.

It'll, be the crown for my brutal legend themed bar (a small one to fit the space) in my man-cave! I'll have to post some photos in the BL forums once I get some small updates finished.

I'm really enjoying the documentaries! They are way more detailed than what I thought they would be when I signed up as a backer. Great work on those and on the game!

I just was wondering, why are there no episode notes this time? I really enjoyed reading the notes as I watched each episode in the past.

I just was wondering, why are there no episode notes this time? I really enjoyed reading the notes as I watched each episode in the past.

Here's all the episode notes you need:

@10:40 Lydia talks about how she is snazzing up the game though the careful application of ambient fx. (I like her smile. I work with a whole lot of Fx folks here in my place of work and I am always in awe of the things they do. They don't smile as much tho... )

@16:29 The contents of Tim's METAL music folder is laid bare. (Judas Priest. YAY!)

@38:20 Music swells, Tim (driving his over-budget-but-newly-fixed-and-tuned classic car) exits garage and poignant travelling clip begins as credits roll.

n0Pe6x4.gif

That was one of the funniest parts of the video. Tim cracks me up. I'm glad that 2PP put that in there.

Really late in chiming in, but I'm all for the decision. It had to be done for scheduling and to fit within budget. It's just a fact of life. Anyone who's ever worked on a big project is familiar with it. And in a way, it's actually a good sign. Tim said himself in the video he likes big games. That DF needs to release the full product later just means that it's that much more full of content.

Also, I plan to take my time with this adventure game to capture all the detail in it, so I don't mind that it's broken up at all. Seriously, I have more games now in my queue than I could ever hope to finish in a lifetime- what's 3 additional months?

At the end of the last episode, I want to see Tim get in his car, say his praises, and drive into the sunset as the credits roll and reflections of past episodes shine and glisten in the sunlight. All to inspirational techno music.

so i made a thing...

YqBzEem.png

quite a thing, indeed.

I also felt I should express my support for the decision - how I see this is Tim actually scraping every single possible resource together to maximize the scope of the project and optimize the quality of the deliverable.

As you learn at any basic project management course, the variables you manage are scope of the project, the time and the resources. If you want to move one variable, the other(s) have to give. So Tim has already managed to almost double the budget of a fixed-budget project. Not to mention huge kudos to Justin Bailey, who has been able to execute a couple of amazing financial magic tricks (Brütal Legend on Steam, Humble Bundle etc.) in order to achieve this. My hat is off to you, Sirs!

Hello all. I was a backer way back in the beginning. I haven't been able to watch any videos because of the vimeo / private issues. This video doesn't even play for me. Is there any way to get them to play?

I can sign in to vimeo and this site (obviously), but still haven't seen any vids.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Make sure you do not have a plug-in for your browser that blockers referrers. Privacy add-ons could be preventing you from watching it.

If you are running Firefox, check this setting too. Type about:config into the location bar, continue past the warning, then search for "referer" (yes, spelled that way). Change network.http.sendRefererHeader to 2 if it is not already. Restart Firefox and come back here, it should play. You can set network.http.sendRefererHeader back to whatever when you are done, but will have to set it back to 2 again to watch future videos. DF sends a referral string to Vimeo for access by people from this forum or the Kickstarter page.

I watched this episode a bunch of times now, which should be a sign that I really love it. It might just be the best episode so far. On the one hand we get to see the game in a stage where parts of it are already of release quality, so we see the promise and the potential, on the other hand there's the drama of getting the potential realized. This episode is well crafted, the way you montage certain scenes seemlessly is wonderful, like when Justin Bailey mentions examples of how he got more money for the project and you cut to scenes that go into more detail about that and then cut back again. You do the same at the beginning of the episode when there's talk about how Tim fared with hosting the GDC awards and how the Broken Age trailer went down.

Overall fantastic job, the episode has a really good flow, some great scenes, and I guess it's somewhat fitting that the episode with the most downbeat moment comes after an optimistic one.

Hello all. I was a backer way back in the beginning. I haven't been able to watch any videos because of the vimeo / private issues. This video doesn't even play for me. Is there any way to get them to play?

I can sign in to vimeo and this site (obviously), but still haven't seen any vids.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Make sure you do not have a plug-in for your browser that blockers referrers. Privacy add-ons could be preventing you from watching it.

If you are running Firefox, check this setting too. Type about:config into the location bar,

and if that doesn't work type in about:robots

Won't help at all really, but it might lighten the mood.

Sign in to follow this