Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

Money troubles? Backer retaliation? HELL YEAH!!!

Now I can't speak for all the other backers, but...

THIS is why I backed. I wanted to see how the meat was made, where the egg came from...

and I've finally got it.

Money troubles and backers getting pissed off?

YES!! I LOVE IT!!!

I love the drama, we can finally see what it's like to make a REAL game. The REAL labor that goes into creating a masterpiece, there's no facade put up by Double Fine, they tell us the whole story. And it's one hell of a story.

Thanks for disclosing all the drama, it's exciting to see gamers find out that game development ain't just glitz and glamor and a walk in the park. I love the doc, I love the game and I love the hysteria all of the boards.

Thanks Double Fine and 2PP, this is the stuff I was waiting for, a pure undoctored documentary on the making of a small point-and-click adventure game.

I know it'll turn out great.

-Tim (Not Schafer, me)

EDIT-

DISCLAIMER: I don't think it's a good thing that DF is having problems, I just like that they are opaque about the situation and accept criticism, looking back I think that my post sounded mean and I'm sorry if I offended anyone at Double Fine. It's my twisted way of saying thanks for the transparency.

Yeah, from documentary perspective this is indeed a good thing. It would be pretty boring if everything would go frictionless.

Yeah, from documentary perspective this is indeed a good thing. It would be pretty boring if everything would go frictionless.

I heard in game design it never goes "frictionless". Well, if you think about it, probably no long project ever goes.

I'd rather have a good game that finished on time and budget than a soap opera. Maybe that's just me?

Well from what little Reality TV I have seen, people seem to LOVE drama. So perhaps they could shop this whole video series around to say Spike. Spike already does those videogame award shows, so it would be an extra perfect fit. Reality and Gaming. Get some Kardashians or something in there, have them yelling at Doublefine employees. Find a monkey and liquor him up, then set him loose in their offices. It's a sure fire win.

The Urban Tarzan TV show had a drunk Monkey with a gun, and that was TV GOLD -

http://youtu.be/oJ0KoSvJ4wc

Now imagine a show like that, but with a videogame angle. You can't go wrong. ;p

I suggested when the Kickstarter first started that an episode of the documentary be about solving a murder mystery at the DF offices. The question is just who to kill off. I say Lee Petty for that anal dildos joke.

True Story! Honestly, you can't buy better advertising in the indie space right now either. As backers we should figure out how to bottle this stuff and ride the soap opera waves of humanity all the way to Steam early access. Magic. Just pure magic!

O_o

I'm not entirely sure that the potential for this to be an amusing rising action to an underdog story is the appropriate focus at the moment. This is a real life morale hit for people currently in the process of busting their butts to bring us all the best adventure game they can while under budget. Hopefully there won't be much more drama to be seen.

But yeah, this sort of thing was always a possibility and it will show in the documentary, and that is kind of why I'm a bit shocked by the uproar myself. I guess at the end of it people will get to see just how expensive it is to make a quality game professionally and how the risk of going over budget was a definite possibility the moment they decided this was going to be something more spectacular than the content equivalent of a phone app.

To be far its not a completely true example of a game being made. that would be one that has a producer and tells them to scrap half the game and add whatever seems like a good sell at the time.

To be far its not a completely true example of a game being made. that would be one that has a producer and tells them to scrap half the game and add whatever seems like a good sell at the time.

Which they did with full throttle that's why the game was so short in the end they scrapped half the game because of time constraints.

Stupid. I never really cared about the documentary or the updates or any of that. I just wanted to play a new Tim Schafer game. I'm sure I'm not the only backer who feels this way. I guess I'm glad you're entertained, but I would rather get my game, and you can go back to watching Real Housewives.

Anyway, I'm not that angry about this. All this means to me is a longer wait.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I don't find it at all enjoyable. I'd rather be seeing meaningful progress being made on the game - rather than entire episodes devoted to budget issues.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I don't find it at all enjoyable. I'd rather be seeing meaningful progress being made on the game - rather than entire episodes devoted to budget issues.
The first half of the episode was entirely devoted to how far along the game has come. People seem to be forgetting that.

You think game development is all smiles and taps on the keyboard? This is your education sir. Money controls all.

There was never going to be any game without banging some heads against some budget issues. How those issues get resolved is irrelevant, it's still a major part of the process. No one pitched the Sesame Street Game Dev. Edition... They already made that game.

Tim said you'd get to see the process, warts and all. Here are your friggin' warts. You can whine and fret over it, or you can embrace and enjoy it. Your call.

The first half of the episode was entirely devoted to how far along the game has come. People seem to be forgetting that.

They might have showed stuff, but they didn't show it happening - or anything that went into making it happen.

You think game development is all smiles and taps on the keyboard? This is your education sir. Money controls all.

There was never going to be any game without banging some heads against some budget issues. How those issues get resolved is irrelevant, it's still a major part of the process. No one pitched the Sesame Street Game Dev. Edition... They already made that game.

Tim said you'd get to see the process, warts and all. Here are your friggin' warts. You can whine and fret over it, or you can embrace and enjoy it. Your call.

I never said money wasn't important in game development. I just said that I'm not interested in watching people talk about it for half an hour.

They might have showed stuff, but they didn't show it happening - or anything that went into making it happen.

So you didn't see the part about how they went about adding special effect and what still needed to be added and some other parts.

I think the doc strikes a good balance between overall progress and detailed insights. It's all about a 'fly on the wall' approach. I feel like I understand what they've done, what tasks have been accomplished, and what challenges have arisen with each episode. Not sure what else to expect.

I've edited my first post to add a disclaimer because I thought i sounded a bit mean.

Actually, what the Massive Chalice guys are doing right now is a lot more in depth than the Broken Age team. Which makes sense since they don't have to worry about spoilers Still, I would like to get more into what goes into the design decisions.

For people who want to watch very nitty gritty meetings and art streams, listen to Leroy Octopus's advice and check out the Massive Chalice bi weekly team streams in the future. It is totally open, so even if didn't back, come hang out or watch the archives. You'd be more informed about MC than even DFers do if you watch those! Probably not very dramatic though.

For people who want to watch very nitty gritty meetings and art streams, listen to Leroy Octopus's advice and check out the Massive Chalice bi weekly team streams in the future. It is totally open, so even if didn't back, come hang out or watch the archives. You'd be more informed about MC than even DFers do if you watch those! Probably not very dramatic though.

Not very dramatic?!?!

Let me sum up the art streams for everyone:

http://a.loudgif.com/12nlaH0

I'm not bothered by them taking an episodic like approach, Telltale is evidence of them doing it well. I am however worried about what will happen if it doesn't sell well and doesn't provide the boost needed to make the second part, exactly how well does this need to sell to cover that anyway?

I'd rather have a good game that finished on time and budget than a soap opera. Maybe that's just me?

- good game

- finished product

- on time

choose two!

(every project i've ever worked on or seen in my entire life)

Sign in to follow this