Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DVersion

Play Act1 or wait until Act2 comes out?

Wait until both Acts come out before playing or play Act1 ASAP?  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Wait until both Acts come out before playing or play Act1 ASAP?

• Wait until the full game comes out
    • Play Act 1 when it comes out then wait for act 2

I personally am going to try and wait until the full game comes out as I cannot stand cliffhangers, however curiosity and the need to avoid spoilers may get the best of me.

I'm gonna try to wait for the full game to come out just so I can keep the whole story in my head. I'd hate to forget some plot point or running gag while waiting for the second half to come out.

I'm going to try my best to wait, but the gameplay they showed off in the latest episode of the documentary looks so amazing, I'm not sure I will be able to resist.

I'm up for punishing suspense. Play first, suspense later.

Game of Thrones, when is your next season!?

I’ll be playing Act 1 as soon as I can, ideally I’d like to wait but... Spoilers happen...

You see the thing about spoilers is that people have this uncanny ability to reveal them offtopic and off sentence, like prime sized mines ready to blow in your face when you least expect it.

DF has hold back revealing a lot of the game to us due to spoilers, I’m not gonna risk having Act 1 spoiled in the interim between Act 2 coming out, and you can bet people are going to be talking about the cliffhanger ending all over the place.

I'll wait for the finished game.

I haven't played a single video game where i did enjoy the waiting between the episodes. It always was a less satisfying experience than a full game could have been. Only a few games are able to deal with the episodic format in reasonable way content wise and in a acceptable way release cycle wise.

It's the same like with episodes of a tv serie, best you wait until a full season is available instead of watching just one episode each week. A movie also can offer a different kind of story than a tv serie. For most content i'm more a film than a tv guy but that's a different story.

I mistakenly voted "Play Act 1 when it comes out then wait for act 2". My real answer is "play whatever is made available on Android." Since I assume that Android will only see the full game release, that's most likely what I'll play.

(Unless of course Kainy gets its act together, but I tried playing The Cave through it on my Nexus 7 the other day and it just wasn't fun.)

I will most likely go the impatient route and play Act I as soon as possible. Once Act II is released, I'll play that. At that point, I will then replay the the game in its entirety for the complete experience.

I think I will wait for the whole thing to be released before I jump in. I'm patient and I think I'd like to have the whole experience all at once. It's kind of a neat idea to give people an option as to how they would like to play things however.

I'm used to waiting in between releases of things I like. Who hasn't done so before? Just play Act 1.

That's the one thing that bothers me about the new release schedule: I'll have to play Act 1 when it's out to avoid spoilerage. I don't think I'll be able to keep myself away from the comments in the meantime. Not a fan of cliffhangers, they make me so impatient. It's the worst with Doctor Who.

Got to play Act 1, the world will be a-buzz with spoilers.

Plus there is a fantastic sense of fun when you've got cliff-hanger and everybody is making wild guesses about what will happen next. Playing through The Walking Dead series as it was released was a hell-a-lot more fun visiting forums and having people guess who the stranger was and who would die, rather than just playing it straight through and getting all the answers given to you in one lump.

Did anyone ever figure out if backers are going to have to pay for Act 1? I'll most likely play if, if it's "free" - but I'll probably just wait for the whole thing - rather than buy it twice. I'm POOR! :)

Did anyone ever figure out if backers are going to have to pay for Act 1? I'll most likely play if, if it's "free" - but I'll probably just wait for the whole thing - rather than buy it twice. I'm POOR! :)
Tim said in his post that backers still get the game for free. Even the beta access is still happening.

I know for a fact that I will have to play the first half of the game when it comes out.

I will probably restart the game just before the second half is due to be released so that I can experience continuity.

That is depending on that I think the game will be worthwhile enough to do so(which I think it will)

No pressure!

I'm going to wait. Who wants to play half a damn game ? I always wait for an entire telltale season to get released before purchasing it. Often times cheaper that way, too. Also, who is to say the 2nd half of the game will even get made ? If I'm not mistaken, it all hinges on the sales of the first half.

They might put the development of Act 2 on hold until they got enough money from other projects to continue. That's probably the worst that could happen. I wonder what that would mean for the documentary, though. Ah, hypothetical questions...

I'm going to wait. Who wants to play half a damn game ? I always wait for an entire telltale season to get released before purchasing it. Often times cheaper that way, too. Also, who is to say the 2nd half of the game will even get made ? If I'm not mistaken, it all hinges on the sales of the first half.

You are mistaken, the game will still be finished but it'll probably damage Double Fine financially.

I'd like to say that I'll be able to wait for the whole thing before playing Act I. But I know I won't. So, yeah, play Act I in Jan I guess.

I'll wait for act 2 to be released, then play act 2 first, wait for 3 months and play act 1.

This way it'll be like a prequel.

I think waiting for the full game is much more rewarding. Also breaking it up this way makes it feel somewhat like an episodic release. I'm very leery of those types of games because I think there's always the risk of it becoming a Half-Life 2 episode 3 situation. That's not to say that I think the second half will get delayed indefinitely. I trust Doublefine will get the job done. But there's still that potential which might seem more real in the minds of other people.

Dreamfall is also an apt comparison. Still wish someone would have told me beforehand, before I bought it, that Dreamfall tells only half the story...

Dreamfall is also an apt comparison. Still wish someone would have told me beforehand, before I bought it, that Dreamfall tells only half the story...

Funny thing. I was just thinking of Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Sure I was disappointed of the lack of an ending, but still I felt, I got a great game with Dreamfall. The following years I hoped for at third chapter, and behold! In the end it came: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey?ref=search

So what would half a year of waiting matter compaired to this?

Sign in to follow this