Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pedijan

Just tipped 50$ to Double Fine. Don't be cheap. Buy your hot date some flowers and candy!

Hi all.

I just wondered, why the tipping jar is so empty? I did pay 15$ for a small game and will get a fully fledged adventure game, old school? I paid more for Grim Fandango, so I'll pay more for this one. If you'd been expecting an ugly chick for a blind date, you'll be going empty handed. But if you found out, that she was going to be hot, you'd be running for some flowers and candy ... please don't think of Tim while picturing this.

If this project is even only paying for itself, I guess DF is going to do another adventure, which will be cheaper to produce, because of the "lessons learned" and the reuse of tech. Please people, tip some more to get this thing over the hill. Don't waste 60$ on "Call of Honor VIII" or "Medal for Duty - War in Albania". Here is the tipping jar:

http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

BTW: People who paid 15$ or 30$ were responsible for roughly 1.5 Million Dollars of the total KS money. If all of them increase their cheap-ass investment to 60$, it would amount to 2,8 Million additional Dollars.

I was thinking of buying the prerelease from steam when that becomes available.

If all of them increase their cheap-ass investment

That's a pretty arrogant judgment on people who might not have the same disposable cash or financial situation that you do.

I'll consider it when the game is out IF it is good. I suspect it will be but I'm not throwing more money at a suspicion.

@Action Newbie: I was joking. Still I think whoever spent money on a video game in general can't be in a situation that bad, that 15$ was a possibility, but increasing to 30$ must be taken from their college funds. You don't have to be in a different financial situation to do 30$ instead of 15$ for a game (although you are right, 60$ might be a bit hefty).

One more thing: Of course I am a bit overexited, that I will be playing another adventure from the real people, so my judgement is a bit foggy. Although you can blame DF for not doing a small game, like they said in the Kickstarter, they didn't do it with bad intensions. Now it has happened and it is real and it can't be turned back.

Two options for everyone:

1. Feel offended that they didn't plan and do everything right at a complex creative process, which never, literally never, goes according to plan and demand stuff along the lines "You made this mess! Now fix it! I demand it!".

2. Face reality, be done with judgements and see what can be done about it (which happens almost everyday in an investor/company relation). I personally would love to be in a situation where I am legally obliged to take a big game from EA for 15$, but I don't feel good doing this with the DF guys.

P.S.: Don't be offended.

I also tipped a little yesterday, as I feel I came off relatively cheap with the 35$-Humble bundle for BA, BL, and AF (and all the other stuff I haven't tried yet).

Although I was a little bummed out that the counter doesn't update instantly, as I was trying to round out the number :P

I didn't find flowers and candy on the DF store, and I'm a little hesitant about starting a poll regarding how many people here are expecting a hot date.

@ET3D: Flowers and candy on the DF store. Hehe, good one! But talking about a tipping jar in an example of a hot date might take that example too far ;-)

About judging the game from what we've seen so far: I think the gamers have changed. Promoting games through trailers has become somewhat of an industrie itself (called the marketing industry). I must say I had many occurrences where the trailer got me all hyped-up and the game just disappointed me, because it played like an interactive trailer.

Adventure games on the other hand always got me hyped-up while playing it, while the previews looked not exciting to me. I saw Screenshots of Grim Fandango and didn't like the 3D style. I saw the preview of Full Throttle and thought the setting was weird. But they all went into my hall of fame. I am very confident, that when those Broken Age characters come to life through dialogs and jokes and the storytelling is good, this is when one can judge the game.

About my confidence: No adventure game from Tim disappointed me, ever. Never. Always new, always delivered. He never made any sequels and tried to relive past achievements. And the story to Broken Age was written quietly in his room, with no pressure from anyone. This will be good, man ;-)

I don't have any more money to spend on games this year. College, lack of a job, a parent that isn't exactly a fan of me any money at all on games. I would raise my donation if I could.

I did get a "yes" on the pink Whispering Rock t-shirt awhile back, so I'll wait until the revamped store is open, and see if I can get it.

@medacris: Don't worry. We've all been there. Let us oldtimers with fond memories of their childhoods handle the money throwing ;-) In fact, it wasn't all that easy for me, too, because I had to explain to my wife, why I was spending more money for the same thing without somebody forcing me. A concept she couldn't understand ;-) With parents, though, you can't do that.

@medacris: Don't worry. We've all been there. Let us oldtimers with fond memories of their childhoods handle the money throwing ;-) In fact, it wasn't all that easy for me, too, because I had to explain to my wife, why I was spending more money for the same thing without somebody forcing me. A concept she couldn't understand ;-) With parents, though, you can't do that.

To be fair, I'm not that young (I'm in college), but no, I admit I didn't grow up with point-and-click adventure games. I didn't know what they were until I was in middle school or so, and even now, I've only ever played part of one of the Telltale Sam and Max seasons. (Although I do really like those games.) It makes me feel kind of...bad, to not have all this background that many others do.

I think if something is consistently good, then you should feel justified throwing money at it, whatever it is. And I do feel relieved knowing that if I ever get married, my spouse will most likely be more lax than my parents are now.

Well if you'd like to donate some money to me I'll be more than happy to give back to DF. Until then, children like you who can spend their money on toys and games need to stop calling us adults who need to spend money on bills and gas "cheap"

If DF wants to keep sinking money into the black hole that Broken Age has become then fine, I feel I've gotten my money worth out of the documentary at least, but I'm not going to keep funding their habits.

We enormously appreciate what every backer has given us! But I would humbly request not trying to guilt-trip your fellow backers into giving more. If individuals would like to chip in a bit more, that's amazing and we are very gratified, but we aren't demanding more, so hopefully nobody gets the impression we are.

We enormously appreciate what every backer has given us! But I would humbly request not trying to guilt-trip your fellow backers into giving more. If individuals would like to chip in a bit more, that's amazing and we are very gratified, but we aren't demanding more, so hopefully nobody gets the impression we are.

I almost feel this should be stickied. One of the things I dislike most about Kickstarter is the way it can make spending money into a competition. You can buy your hot date flowers and candy, but you can't buy Double Fine love. Though hypothetically, if we could buy Double Fine's love, I would like to note the above-average** size of my pledge -- if you know what I mean.

**may not actually be above average (unless you consider an "extended" pledge to Double Fine that includes my MASSIVE CHALICE contribution -- if you know what I mean)

Hi all. No guilt-tripping intended from my side. The situation is as follows: Paid 15$ for a small game. You guys decided to make a normal-sized game, so those people who paid 15$ should never be forced to pay more. We're on the same page.

I just upped my 15$ to 65$ because I feel it's worth it. I don't buy many games (last one was Portal 2), so this decision was easy and maybe not comparable to people who need to be careful with their gaming budget. I am above 30 and have a job, so it was not a big deal for me. Just felt right, you know.

I just realized, that I was not aware of the tipping jar, until I searched for a way to up my money, so I thought I could point other people in the same situation as I am to this site. Finito. No guilt-tripping, no flame-war or anything intended.

Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle: those were the projects where I think Tim had the creative lead and they were all perfect. So if I saw another adventure on the store shelves I'd pay that amount to buy it. Also Euro/Dollar conversion rate is still advantageous for us germans (ha ha ... oh god, I hope this doesn't cause another flame war. I was just joking, really: http://xkcd.com/386/)

Aaahhrrg: Monkey Island was of course Ron Gilbert's baby. Tim wrote dialog for it. Please don't kill me internet! Please. I could edit my last post and right my wrongs, thank god.

Sign in to follow this