Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Dandy

Worst case scenario?

What happens if when the first part of the game comes out on Steam, not enough people buy it to fund development on the 2nd part?

Worst case scenario?

The failure to get the second half of the game funded forces them to use their own cash starting a chain reaction that ultimately leads to the closure of Double Fine.

President Obama is backing Broken Age and its delay makes him have a really crappy day leading to him insulting a foreign dignitary. One thing leads to another and Tim Schafer causes World War III.

In the worst case scenario the gates of hell open and all of humanity get’s sucked in and spends the rest of eternity in perpetual torment.

Oh you mean about this project, and without any hypothetical metaphysical elements thrown in?

Well in that case, the worst case scenario would be DF failing to even finish Act 1 on budget or on time and Steam Early access never happens so it can fund Act 2, instead we either get a desperate release of whatever they managed to finish, or nothing at all, while the company files for bankruptcy, while the gates of Oblivion open all over the place and we are faced with the wrath of Mehrunes Dagon, while Patrick Stewart narrates everything.

Sorry got carried away again...

Worst case scenario is that I get distracted by the next episode of the documentary and my burrito gets cold.

(That, or the perpetual torment thing Arenegeth posited, but, y'know - "six of one, half dozen of the other...")

Tim cuts himself shaving, and it permanently effects the growth of his beard.

Double Fine will either pull in funds from other sources -- Tim Schafer's own money, a publisher, Angel Investments, sales from other games -- or indefinitely put the rest of the game on hold.

The worst thing that can happen is we find out Santa Claus doesn't exist for real...

Don't worry. That'll never happen... right?

What happens if when the first part of the game comes out on Steam, not enough people buy it to fund development on the 2nd part?

As I understand it, part 2 is not depedent on any kind of sales success from the Early Access version, but everything gained from it will be used for the rest of the game.

I must say that I don't follow their logic completely, when they first we're talking about mid 2015, and then with this method lands on May 2014 for the full game. I would like someone from DF to clarify that part a bit.

But as long as the studio exists, they will make the game somehow, that I think everyone can be confident about.

As I understand it, part 2 is not depedent on any kind of sales success from the Early Access version, but everything gained from it will be used for the rest of the game.

I must say that I don't follow their logic completely, when they first we're talking about mid 2015, and then with this method lands on May 2014 for the full game. I would like someone from DF to clarify that part a bit.

But as long as the studio exists, they will make the game somehow, that I think everyone can be confident about.

I'm guessing that with the current budget they can keep just enough people on the project to work on the game for a projected 2015 release.

I must say that I don't follow their logic completely, when they first we're talking about mid 2015, and then with this method lands on May 2014 for the full game.

2015 was for the full game without cutting anything. 2014 is after cutting stuff. If they stayed on budget it would have meant cutting too much.

President Obama is backing Broken Age and its delay makes him have a really crappy day leading to him insulting a foreign dignitary. One thing leads to another and Tim Schafer causes World War III.

/Thanks Obama.

Worst case scenario? Don Mattrick takes over Double Fine...and well, you know the rest.

they start working on the multiplayer and forget to make the single player any good. and i get sacked and can't buy a new benq monitor or decent internet to compete against the internet. stupid multiplayer.

They add QTEs, XP for headshots, a focus mode and timed parkour sequences. Oh wait... wrong game.

Disappointing colour palette choice for Broken Age I think, it looks too... fun.

May I suggest this beautiful colour scheme, more fitting with the times:

P53m72a.png

Disappointing colour palette choice for Broken Age I think, it looks too... fun.

P53m72a.png

That's actually a really good colour scheme, with that I'm seeing the inside of a molten lava volcano, fire and brimstone. Unfortunately you didn't include any blues so we'll have to forgo the neon blue ghost pirates ;-)

P53m72a.png

That's actually a really good colour scheme, with that I'm seeing the inside of a molten lava volcano, fire and brimstone. Unfortunately you didn't include any blues so we'll have to forgo the neon blue ghost pirates ;-)

qJkNgyu.jpg

I'm not seein' it.

As for blue ghost pirates...

BLpKQrf.png

P53m72a.png

qJkNgyu.jpg

I'm not seein' it.

BLpKQrf.png

Lol, too literal, but check it ;-)

I can't upload a photo for some reason so please press the link:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/09/rps-at-e3-returns-to-monkey-island/

All your colours are in that comparison pic :-)

P53m72a.png

qJkNgyu.jpg

I'm not seein' it.

BLpKQrf.png

Lol, too literal, but check it ;-)

I can't upload a photo for some reason so please press the link:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/09/rps-at-e3-returns-to-monkey-island/

All your colours are in that comparison pic :-)

Mmmm... delicious colours there. I am quite the unintentional artistic genius it seems.

You win. ;)

I don't think Double Fine would have gone into this decision if they weren't very sure they could get part 2 done this way. I think part of the tactic is to buy them some extra time so that some of the other funding sources Double Fine will start making money from from current projects can start to contribute. I think the worst case scenario is that all of those things massively flop and part 2 gets a release in a significantly cut down way, but more likely they would find some other way before it came to that.

Worst case scenario, at the moment that Broken age is finally released you are awoken by shock therapy to discover that you are in a mental ward and suffer from a delusion, Broken age never existed, it was just a metaphor that you constructed in your delusion to represent your broken reality.

Sign in to follow this