Sign in to follow this  
taumel

.:. science fiction: films/series, books

I'm surprised you enjoyed episode 6 more than 5. I always thought episode 5 was on of the most original time travel stories I've ever seen. I've always thought the acting in the series was pretty great. The early episodes just didn't give the actors much range. The series plotline gets crazy later on. Involving bizarre stuff like neural clones and wormhole knowledge locked in a character's head. In season three, they even have a character get cloned and instead of the normal TV cliche of the clone getting killed off or something by the end of the episode, they actually keep both clones around for a good long while. The whole show is really strange. The first season shows glimpses of it, but the longer the show goes, the stranger it becomes.

Hmm, i guess i mixed up the episodes: 6 is "Thank God It's Friday, Again" but "Back and Back and Back to the Future" is 5 instead of 3, at least here, so i guess we agree on 5. Ka D’Argo gets most on my nerves.

Btw. if you want to read a good book about time travelling, i recommend David Gerrold's "The man who folded himself".

@El_Diablo

David Lynch's Dune is a fantastic movie but it can help to understand the film, depending on which version you've seen (normal, special, extended), if you've read the books before. The series don't even come close to his film. Already the intro with the princess Irulan is so beautiful and awesome (i mean that's a princess), the Guild Navigator convinces as a true alien, the cast,

, ...

I really like Dune, but more in the sense that I like cult movies like the Russ Meyer movies and Plan 9. Yes, it has some good acting and music, but overall it reeks of bad book adaptation. And I don't mind at all because it's got so much charm and atmosphere.

Lynch's Dune isn't a 1:1 conversion but it's a great movie and that's quite more important.

And look at this princess! Even two different eyes. I had sleepless nights because of her. :o)

1:1 conversion are seldom very good though, since books and movies are such different formats. One of the things that are very silly in the movie is the way thoughts are conveyed with voice over while the character is looking very thoughtful. Direct adaptation only works with very action oriented books with little to no inner monolog.

I really like the film. Did i mention the princess already? I remember before we went into the cinema it was a weird day already, weird lighting and it was snowing dense thick flakes. I read many SF books already, so i was quite prepared but the movie impressed me as a film. It was weird, it was brutal, it was beautiful and had something special, the imagery, ... it was such a difference to the Star Wars and Star Trek movies those days in a number of aspects. After the film the weather had changed completely, the sun was shining, the clouds were completely gone, it was like you were in another world.

A few sounds by Toto aren't this wisely chosen, some efx weren't top notch anymore or just different and the film was too short. Someone who hasn't read the books could have a hard time to understand the story, at least back in those days. Anyway the film is great and you can still watch it from time to time. There are a number of different versions available but as far as i know a final cut by Lynch himself is still missing.

Pacific Rim was disappointing, not worth the entrance fee. I haven't seen a convincing giant monster film since Jurassic Park. Dunno, there were quite some good movies within the last year (Looper, The Dark Knight Rises, Red Lights, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Argo, In the House, Django Unchained, The Hunt, Kon-Tiki, ...) but this one was plain stupid.

Thinking of efx, the quality of comic film adaptions is decreasing significantly. First they were embarrassing, then films like Raimi's Spiderman put them on a whole new level and they even did Watchmen in a convincing way but the latest productions like The Avengers, Captain America, The Green Lantern, Iron Man 3, the Amazing Spiderman or the antic Man of Steel are all a lot worse relative to what they've done before. The characters and stories are getting more and more stupid and the efx are getting more and more (advanced) without a reasonable sense so that you can still connect to the film/the characters in the movies.

The Word's end looks absolutely awesome, currently holds a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Aha, compared to this one The Watch looks like a film for intellectuals.

Aha, compared to this one The Watch looks like a film for intellectuals.

I can't tell whether you're insulting The World's End or not.

Can you insult a movie at all?

Anyway what i was trying to say is that it looks awful (from the description and the trailer).

It looks damn good to me, can't really go wring with Edgar Wright I've found. (And Pegg+Frost) So I'm with Leroy on this one, sorry tamuel.

The other end of the world movie, This is the End, the one with all the famous actors playing themselves, now I'm a bit wary of that one. Not sure what to make of the trailer.

I don't think our tastes agree very much at all, taumel.
I agree, his dislike of Babylon 5, preference of the 80s Dune over the mini series (I agree about the spacing guild members though, much better in the film), and After Earth, 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Indiana Jones 4, Superman Returns, Fantastic 4 2, 2003 hulk, seriously? fucking, 2003 hulk? on a "good" Sci-Fi list.

Well I actually did enjoy Superman Returns. I think that movie gets too much hate. It has it's problems, but it's still a decent movie.

I think changing superman's only major weakness into a mild inconvenience just made me kinda bored with it. I am pretty biased in that Superman is my least favorite super hero ever.

Watched a few more episodes of Farscape, mainly whilst doing some other stuff as well. It's a balancing act, generally it's just not written good enough and some characters are simply annoying, it's this dull bland Syfy style and some of the episodes are plain stupid (s1e12, s2e02, ...) but every now and then the series also has its moments (s1e16, s2e03, ...). I enjoy the tension between Aeryn and John but i fear that they will drag this on in the typical TV series manner.

Entirely stoked to see The World's End. Edgar Wright's interview on Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (or as all the cool kids are calling it, RHLSTP) got me all riled up for it.

Also, I'd recommend Black Mirror. It's an anthology series, but most episodes set in a terrifying version of the not-too-distant-future. Think a modern Twilight Zone, but funnier.

I'm excited for The World's End as well. I loved Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, so I'm pretty sure that I'm going to love this film as well.

The second half of season 4 was entertaining (i mostly skipped through the first half) and added it to the list for the good moments. It's kind of annoying that the fifth season got cancelled because after watching four seasons you also want to come this to an reasonable end but it's nice that they at least were able to produce some sort of end via The Peacekeeper Wars. The german translation wasn't always this convincing, at some point i switched to the original.

No idea if the film will be good (considering the book it's based on as well as the cast you can have your doubts) but i like the mood of the site: http://beyondapollo.com/ If just the rotations would be longer.

Riddick 3

With beer many things are enjoyable. Let's hope it will make enough money for a better fourth part.

Elysium

I can't drink this much.

Next SF rendezvous will be with Gravity.

Hmm, when i was a kid i enjoyed the movie, although i instantly hated the theme song, dunno.

I've been watching Battlestar Galactica

The overall plot advances too slow, with every episode feeling like a standalone episode. and every swearword has been replaced by "frak" I can't hear it anymore.

I wasn't a fan of BSG. It was worth watching so I can make Cylon jokes now, but the overall narrative I just didn't find engaging.

It needed more humor to be a Sci-fi show I could relate to. And less military. The only Sci-fi show that really pulled off the military angle for me was Stargate. And that was because half the people involved were scientists and the rest were hilarious. And there was lots of overlap between the two camps.

It's a mix of some good, soso and bad episodes, stereotypical and idiotic stuff here, enjoyable and thrilling scenes there, ... It's not great from a-z but you also might want to set it into relation to other sf series, which often are worse, and/or the original movies, which were just horrible. I'm not aware of any more recent great sf series apart from maybe the short experiment Ijon Tichy Raumpilot. There is a reason why people are still watching Star Trek TOS.