Sign in to follow this  
taumel

.:. science fiction: films/series, books

I consider Stargate to be a great series, Firefly, and also Dollhouse, if we want something more recent.

None of them? Wow.

Personally, my favorite of them (shockingly) is Dollhouse. Because the science fiction presented in that one was something I could relate to and also actually feasible. Which is both awesome and scary at the same time. But yeah, I know people who are working on programming reactions into animals and stuff. Also, the humor of the show was spot on for me.

You know, I gave Dollhouse the old college try. I really wanted to like it since I loved Firefly. I watched all the way through it, but the protagonist just did nothing for me. For me she really lacked depth, and there just wasn't enough story to the supporting characters (except towards the end, and by then, too late!) to really make me like the show.

Also, it totally pissed me off that the "tracking chip" in her neck was basically some components cut from a reel still in their packaging

(not really spoilery at all, but tagging it anyway, since I can't remember if that's a revelation).

Similarly I really couldn't care less about the two main characters in warehouse 13, but I LOVE the supporting characters. So I've binged my way through what's available of that on netflix.

See, to me Dollhouse wasn't about Echo. She's there for the story to have something to follow, but the story is really about the side characters who make everything work. The entire show is an analogy for how the film industry works. You've got the Actives, who are basically the actors, subject to the will of the clients (the general population) and created by the writer (the programmer). The best ones are the ones that go outside their programming and give the clients what they need instead of what they paid for. You've got the director (Adele) the agents (the handlers) and then the big TV network at the top that doesn't care about any of the people, the good, the art... just about the finished product and the profits (Rossum) and that is what ultimately brings the entire thing down.

Really, every bit of dialogue really seemed aimed at this sort of idea, with the veneer of science fiction on top. The more I think about it, the more I think it might have been the point for Echo to not be all that interesting, because the most popular actors are seldom the most interesting ones to watch on screen. The writer character, Topher, is by far the most interesting of all of them because all the ideas come from him. Given how much Joss Whedon put into the Writer's Strike, I could definitely see him as using this show (which happened afterwards) as a platform to get the subtle message across that the writers are what make things happen.

I dunno. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But the fact that the show was structured in such a way as to allow me to read this much into it makes it a good show, in my opinion. Because if it gives you something to talk about, it can't be bad.

I got the actor/ active connection, but the story didn't say anything particularly compelling to me. Preferences are going to differ, I'm glad you could enjoy it, but I really didn't.

Amy Acker was really good in it, though.

Man, I watched Pitch Black all the way through for the first time, and man it has a great set of characters. And even better....it's an R rated action adventure that is minimal on gore, and isn't afraid to kill off even MAIN CHARACTERS and let NON MAINS SURVIVE. It's really not a typical movie.

Pitch Black came as a pleasant surprise, maybe the Alien Breed of films (Amiga user will get this one).

We watched Gravity today.

A great space intimate play. The first time the 3d made sense to me in a movie too. Only a few annoying logic holes and at least it isn't corny all the time. Thrilling almost from the beginning to the end. It’s even fun to talk about the movie afterwards. If you ever wanted to be in space, feel like an astronaut, this movie is for you. The intro instantly reminded me of The DIG. :o)

Wow, go watch it!

Does anybody have any netflix recommendations? When I watch fantasy/scifi the setting is really important to me, and I'm not really into people from 'our world' just getting transported into another time/place/world. I know that sounds like weird criteria but I just find that the more things in a movie that remind me of the world we live in the less immersive the movie is.

I'll add everything that gets recommended to my queue, though I can't guarantee that I'll get back to you in a timely manner. :P

There was some confusion about The Last Days on Mars. No, it's not a great movie but the first 20 minutes or so and the very end are enjoyable and looking good. The rest of the film is quite horrible, maybe on pair with all the other awful stuff like Thor 2 (the only reason to watch it might be Loki) or Ender's Game. It's the film industry's own secret why so many less convincing SF stories make it into the cinema whilst the gems remain untouched.

I think so. Although it's our time and the technology is available already (actually Space Shuttle's are outdated since more than two years, but they look cool and maybe are easier to connect to for ordinary people). The SF aspect comes in with that Joe Normal isn't able to visit space yet and so you're experiencing an unknown environment like you otherwise can't. On a critical note you might want to add that a character like Bullock's scientist would probably never had a chance in a space program plus a couple of rather unrealistic things she later on does or which happen to her, so there is some sort of fiction involved.

Actually it's embarrassing, the USA was a space flight nation for many years (due to the cold war) but somehow priorities changed and stuff like the NSA got more important than the NASA. Well, the best you probably could hope for (or fear) is what corporations will come up with.

I think so. Although it's our time and the technology is available already (actually Space Shuttle's are outdated since more than two years, but they look cool and maybe are easier to connect to for ordinary people). The SF aspect comes in with that Joe Normal isn't able to visit space yet and so you're experiencing an unknown environment like you otherwise can't. On a critical note you might want to add that a character like Bullock's scientist would probably never had a chance in a space program plus a couple of rather unrealistic things she later on does or which happen to her, so there is some sort of fiction involved.

Actually it's embarrassing, the USA was a space flight nation for many years (due to the cold war) but somehow priorities changed and stuff like the NSA got more important than the NASA. Well, the best you probably could hope for (or fear) is what corporations will come up with.

I'm still on the fence with this one, on one hand yeah there are a lot of fantastical elements to it, but on the other hand something like that IS possible. Highly unlikely but possible.

Hey, no new sf movies (Europa Report wasn't good) but some very cool space music:

Dunno, Bowie always brings me back to Smith, just perfect, especially at 1:20. She's (the whole band) fantastic live.

Due to the two more space heavier projects in Amnesia Fortnight (hey, one is still alive), i've added a few sf books to the list too, well, until the 8k border hit me. Maybe you can find something interesting in there, german titles only (too lazy looking up the english ones, there's Google).