Sign in to follow this  
PlexShaw

iOS/Android/Ouya Version + Soundtrack Out Now

I recognise that Dropchord has been designed primarily with the Leap Motion in mind and that, as a result, the PR for the game has focused on this as the release of the both that device and the game gets closer.

However, given that it does also say on the official site for the game that it is to be released on mobile (well, iOS), when can we expect to see the game come to other platforms? And is an Android version planned too?

Update

Launch trailer (which states it's coming to PC/Mac/iOS/Android/Ouya)

The Soundtrack is also now available from the usual online digital music distribution outlets (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon etc) - it's highly recommended if you're interested in this game. Thanks to PaulloDEC for the heads up.

I recognise that Dropchord has been designed primarily with the Leap Motion in mind and that, as a result, the PR for the game has focused on this as the release of the both that device and the game gets closer.

However, given that it does also say on the official site for the game that it is to be released on mobile (well, iOS), when can we expect to see the game come to other platforms? And is an Android version planned too?

If you believe the

it'll be coming to Mac, PC, iOS, Android and Ouya. Also, presumably a launch trailer means it can't be far away, which is nice.

Also also, the soundtrack is currently up on Google Play for those so inclined.

Yeah, I've just seen the updated trailer and was coming here to post that. :)

I actually asked Patrick on Twitter the other day when the iOS version (which is the one I'm mainly interested in) was coming out and he told me it would be next week (22nd was the quoted day), which is great news as far as I'm concerned.

Also just checked iTunes and the soundtrack is also available there too.

Bought the soundtrack! Some great music there.

I'm happy the mobile version will be available on the same day, and it's probably the one I'm going to go with, but I'm wondering if the Leap is the ideal way to play it. Tempted to order one.

I've had further clarification from Patrick about the release on iOS. It will actually be out on the 25th, as Thursday is the usual day for game releases on the App Store. I'll have to assume that the Android version will be at roughly the same time. Still, at least it's out next week on stores other than Airspace (no idea about the Ouya though).

Will the Ouya version support input from a Leap?

I can't say for certain but I'd imagine the answer to that is "No". So, I guess you either play it with the touchpad or the thumbsticks on the Ouya controller?

If it's the latter, then does that mean we'll also seeing Dropchord released on other PC game digital distribution platforms such as Steam? And will that version also work with the Leap Motion?

Bought the soundtrack!

"This is groovy as hell!"

Three thumbs up!

Don't know if this has been answered, but is the PC version also playable without the Leap Motion? I know it's designed for that thing, but I honestly can't justify buying one for just one game, even if it's Double Fine. Considering there's also an iOS version they did think of alternative control schemes, so hopefully it'll be playable with a mouse/gamepad too.

This is what I've asked above. It's not known at the moment whether the game will be available from places other than Air Space but if it was released on, say, Steam that would indicate that it's playable without using Leap Motion. Since it's coming to Ouya and the main control input for that is a regular gamepad, then I guess it may well be. It would seem a bit silly to restrict how it can be played on a PC/Mac.

Don't know if this has been answered, but is the PC version also playable without the Leap Motion?

My understanding is that the PC versions of Dropchord will only be sold via Leap's Airspace shop, so I would say no.

Also, does Double Fine have a Bandcamp page? I'd like to avoid using other digital distribution sites at all costs.

Yeah, Double Fine confirmed to me on Twitter that it's Air Space/Leap Motion only as far as PC/Mac goes, so I'll definitely be going for the iOS version on Thursday.

Just checked and they don't appear to have a Bandcamp page either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why they are doing so little promotion for this game? If not for PlexShaw hounding them for answers, I would have no idea it was even coming out soon. Not trying to be a dick.

Well, they took their sweet time about it but they finally officially announced stuff:

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/dropchord_now_available_for_leap_ios_android_ouya_coming_soon/

San Francisco—July 22, 2013—Double Fine Productions today announced Dropchord, its new music-driven score challenge game, is now available for the innovative Leap Motion Controller on Windows and Mac. It will be released for the OUYA game console on July 31, and iOS and Android mobile devices on August 1.

Dropchord features fast-paced and addictive gameplay with a focus on music and visual effects and was developed by key members of the team behind Double Fine’s acclaimed Xbox 360 title Kinect Party. The game financed in part by frequent Double Fine collaborator Dracogen, Inc.

“Truly, this is a cornucopia of devices and platforms. I actually didn’t even know they made this many ways to play video games!” admitted Double Fine president and CEO Tim Schafer.

“Well, I did,” said Dracogen founder Steven Dengler. “And I love them all.”

The Leap Motion Controller is the world’s most accurate 3D motion control device. It allows people to play Dropchord on their computer entirely by moving their hands and fingers in the air. OUYA is the first totally open video game console, allowing both developers and gamers a platform for creativity.

“That’s true, disembodied blog post narrator,” said Dengler. “I’m practicing playing the Leap version with my hands while I use each of my feet to manipulate the iOS and Android versions. Wait until you see how I’m managing the OUYA controller.”

“Gross,” replied Schafer.

Dropchord’s original soundtrack, contributed by a range of acclaimed musicians including Austin Wintory (Journey, Kinect Party), Sam Hulick (Mass Effect), and Brian Trifon (Assassin’s Creed II), is now available to purchase on iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play.

A single-track “Continuous Mix” of the soundtrack can also be streamed at Double Fine’s YouTube channel.

Looks like I'll have to wait another week for the iOS release. Looking forward to seeing the Game Center achievement list (which I was assured it has). Fingers crossed it won't derail my "Complete all Double Fine games on at least one platform in 2013" plan by being too difficult.

This is what I've asked above. It's not known at the moment whether the game will be available from places other than Air Space but if it was released on, say, Steam that would indicate that it's playable without using Leap Motion. Since it's coming to Ouya and the main control input for that is a regular gamepad, then I guess it may well be. It would seem a bit silly to restrict how it can be played on a PC/Mac.

Hey guys, just clearing this up a little! We're not planning on releasing a steam version at the moment... but we really want to! Unfortunately, the game focuses heavily on 2+ simultaneous analog inputs (2+ fingers for the LEAP version, 2+ touches for the mobile versions, or 2 analog sticks for a controller-based version like on Ouya). Unfortunately, the vast majority of our players (and we presume all steam players) only have 1 analog input hooked up to their PC: their mouse. If we did release it on steam it would probably require a controller, which is something we've been told would be SUPER UNWISE :(

Anyway, yeah, there's been a little bit of confusion with when and where this thing is coming out, but PlexShaw has been ON THE CASE in here. It turns out it can be tricky timing the release across 5 different storefronts! Expect us to talk about this thing a whole whole lot over the next week or so.

That said, each version of the game is balanced for its input device. Basically with something like the LEAP or dual analog controllers it's much easier for a player to make mistakes in a precision-based game like this. Not that the LEAP is imprecise at all, but that with both those input mechanisms you are essentially constantly guessing what your disconnected inputs will do on the screen. Meanwhile, touchscreens completely eliminate that problem, so hitting something is much more punishing. Oh and we hope you guys like the game!!!

Out of curiosity, is there a version you guys at Double Fine are partial to?

Hey guys! Ben told me I should be checking the Dropchord forums more! :)

To answer your question, LastWindow, no, I don't think there's a specific version I like more than the others.

I mean, the Leap version is awesome because you get to use the Leap and modern PCs allow us to push the visuals. And the iOS version is awesome because it has achievements and leaderboards. But the Android version is dear to me because I have an Android phone and if I want to show the game to someone, that's the version that's in my pocket. And then the Ouya version is cool because it's on your TV and you can hang out on your couch...

...you get the idea. :)

Hey guys, just clearing this up a little! We're not planning on releasing a steam version at the moment... but we really want to! Unfortunately, the game focuses heavily on 2+ simultaneous analog inputs (2+ fingers for the LEAP version, 2+ touches for the mobile versions, or 2 analog sticks for a controller-based version like on Ouya). Unfortunately, the vast majority of our players (and we presume all steam players) only have 1 analog input hooked up to their PC: their mouse. If we did release it on steam it would probably require a controller, which is something we've been told would be SUPER UNWISE :(

Yeah, I figured that might be the problem. I don't own any of the other platforms, so I'll just chip in and say you'd sell at least one copy of the Steam version if that ever becomes available. I don't know if there are any other Steam-games that require a controller so I don't know how something like that would be handled. Maybe a warning screen before you can buy the game? I'd guess there are a lot of pc-gamers with controllers these days, but who knows. Hope you guys will reconsider, good luck with all the releases :).

Picked up the game yesterday for iOS. I'm really enjoying it so far. I also convinced my girlfriend to download it, but she isn't able to enjoy it as much since her phone doesn't have sound after she dropped it in a cup of iced tea about two weeks after I bought it for her. Yeah. That really happened.

That's hilarious.

I've watched two friends, on separate occasions, drop their phone in the drink sitting on the table in front of them.

I picked up this game to continue my Double Fine weekend. Not knowing anything about it, I assumed it was natively designed for mobile phones. Please tell whoever worked on the control design that they did a good job, from my perspective!

(Sorry to hear about the nonconsentual electronics swimming lessons.)

Hey thanks! <3

Patrick worked very hard to get the mobile controls just right. We also tuned the games a little differently for Ouya vs. Leap vs. Mobile (since you have different capabilities and control response times!).