Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The_Mad_Pirate

SCUMM is "One of the Greatest Game Engines ever Made" according to media

Wow, that was a great read. It makes me wonder what would've been had SCUMM gone largely ignored. Would adventure games have continued to exist in some form, or would they have evaporated earlier? Maybe the genre would've evolved into something else. It also makes me wonder if SCUMM limited creativity somewhat due to convenience. Every adventure game had to be confined to the same core play style. Not trashing it, I loved those games, but it's definitely interesting to consider.

Valve's Source still wins out IMO, but I'm not doubting the importance of SCUMM, it was a nifty little engine it seems. Nice read.

Great read. Thank you for posting.

One of my favorite aspects of SCUMM was iMuse.

Great article, thanks. Beside of what you could read in the media i had no idea what SCUMM was about those days but i always liked the acronym. It certainly was ahead of its time but you shouldn't compare it to the complexity and possibilities of todays' more general purpose game engines (although some could benefit from less features and more focus). One aspect that sometimes became obvious about SCUMM driven games was the performance. They were kind of slow compared to games which were written for/optimised for specific platforms.

Sign in to follow this