Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 11: 7/19/13

Hello again backer friends! Tis I, Gregory Rice, here again to update you on all our grand adventures! So so much crazy awesome stuff has happened recently that I'm not sure quite where to start. How about with the not-so-awesome stuff? Remember all those silly articles that came out a few weeks ago about our release plan? I'm sure you forgot because they were so silly, but we have not! We're currently working on setting up an interview so that we can clear things up a bit and get back to focusing on the game. We'll make sure to loop you in when that happens, but thanks again for all the awesome support!

Speaking of focusing on the game, it's been pretty hard not to with all the awesome stuff that happened this sprint. As was the goal, Vella's Village and Maidens Feast that we started the project with way back when are now playable at an Alpha level. So now we've got the opening sequences to Alpha for both characters! Not only that but we've implemented the character switching tech, so it's much more easy to test out the beginning of the game and see how it feels. We also got a lot more of the new UI art in the game and Oliver implemented some awesome new tech that will allow us to have cloud save across all our supported platforms. All of this goes a long way towards making it feel more like a real game!

Casting is now complete for the majority of the game and I must say we are EXTREMELY excited about the folks we were able to secure. We can't say quite yet who we've got, but we really look forward to letting you all know! Tim spent the sprint crunching on a tooooooooon of new dialog and that's all wrapped now. He headed out for LA just today for the first recording sessions that start tomorrow!

The whole 2PP crew was here this week and wrapped shooting for the next episode, so they're going into full on edit mode for that now. Well, right after their vacation down in Hollywood. ;)

Monday marks the start of a new sprint aimed at one of the later areas of Vella's first act. By the end of the sprint we should also have the entire first act written, which will be very exciting indeed!

Things really are looking great and everyone is super stoked on the game right now. So, on to the next sprint!

Awesome news, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the next episode, I'm curious if and how they'll handle the stupid press controversy...

Hello Gregory, sound amazing and im really exicted about the progress of the game..

but im a Kraut so im allways looking at the bad thing first ... will the cloudsaving be optional? Like, click here for lokal saving and there for "da" cloud?

I would hate to depend on a (bad) internet conenction to start my game from the last savepoint.

Im in germany, Ms. Merkel thinks that the internet is kind of a new thing which isnt very important (stoneage lady)

I presume that cloudsaving in this context means that the local save files are synchronized with a server, so that you can download them later on on another device. That's in addition to the game saving locally in the first place and not what EA tried to pass off as a great feature with SimCity, that you're only ably to save in the cloud. That would be nuts.

Things like "implementing awesome new cloud saving" are why this game's production is so off-schedule. Make a good game, for Christ's sake! You got 3 million dollars, which is 10 times what you asked for. How are you so overbudget?

Cut the fat or find a manager who knows how to manage a project.

Hello Gregory, sound amazing and im really exicted about the progress of the game..

but im a Kraut so im allways looking at the bad thing first ... will the cloudsaving be optional? Like, click here for lokal saving and there for "da" cloud?

I would hate to depend on a (bad) internet conenction to start my game from the last savepoint.

Im in germany, Ms. Merkel thinks that the internet is kind of a new thing which isnt very important (stoneage lady)

Fear not, there are local saves and the cloud stuff is optional!

Things like "implementing awesome new cloud saving" are why this game's production is so off-schedule. Make a good game, for Christ's sake! You got 3 million dollars, which is 10 times what you asked for. How are you so overbudget?

Yeah, let the programmer sit on his ass with nothing to do while the rest of the team still has content to produce for the game. That sounds much more reasonable. You sure sound like a know-it-all. Maybe the more top priority features got already implemented? It's not like all team members would finish their top priorities at the same time.

@FAAF

Dude, she knows exactly what the internet is for but she wants to get reelected and utalises her standard tactics when problems are showing up. Instead of solving problems and confronting the persons who are involved, she's playing for time (holidays, short term memories, ...), saying something non-binding, pretending that we're all a little bit dumb (including herself) and trying to act likeable by telling people what they want to hear. She never was and will be a politician who forms the future of our country, she just tries to pretend to administer the status quo as good as possible. Wrong underperforming person sadly in a important position.

jYc1rxb.gif

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

up-carl-fredricksen-costume-pixar-d.jpg

qBkSPSz.jpg

Hf2aCJw.jpg

Lol! I think Clint Eastwood wins for hard looks! I don't envy being at the receiving end of that one ;-)

image.jpg

image.jpg.5da03d131c8cc6d0ce99423de91643

Would it be possible to have more programming updates?, I'm missing them, it was quite interesting to learn about the "heart" of the game.

I hope we can get some of the recording bloopers in the game. Remember The Longest Journey? The out-takes available after completing the game were pure comedy.

[...] Oliver implemented some awesome new tech that will allow us to have cloud save across all our supported platforms.

I thought the NSA does this for free these days.

Would it be possible to have more programming updates?, I'm missing them, it was quite interesting to learn about the "heart" of the game.

We've got another update from Oliver this coming week, another one where he goes into what causes various bugs that have cropped up (and been fixed) on the game.

We've got another update from Oliver this coming week, another one where he goes into what causes various bugs that have cropped up (and been fixed) on the game.

That sounds great Chris, thanks for the answer :)

We have separate systems and gameplay programming teams each with their own schedules and priorities. And let's try to tone down the negativity in here okay?

You must be new here.

And let's try to tone down the negativity in here okay?

I'll take that as a request for all of us. I totally posted a Sam Jackson that accidentally turned into a troll-feeding thread derail, when instead I should have been heeding the advice of our good friend MJ.

Sorry about that!

Hi Greg,

Great to hear all the cool stuff going on, looking forward to episode 11. You mentioned the character switching tech, I presume that means we can switch between Shay and Vella at any time during the game? Or do you have to complete one section with one character before switching to the other and completing their part?

Hi Greg,

Great to hear all the cool stuff going on, looking forward to episode 11. You mentioned the character switching tech, I presume that means we can switch between Shay and Vella at any time during the game? Or do you have to complete one section with one character before switching to the other and completing their part?

For now you can switch at any time Day of the Tentacle Style. Now that it's in we can playtest and see how it feels!

Sign in to follow this