Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Admiral S4iNT

Iron Brigade Xbox ONE remake?

Will you guys remake Iron Brigade for Xbox ONE i am so eager to know since they made big improvements for the Xbox ONE and with the new Xbox 360 i'm wondering are you guys planning on it.?

You could have posted this question in the other thread you created about future DLC, since it's technically a related question.

As for an Xbox One version... well, I'd never say never but I guess the answer is likely to be a resounding, "No".

Microsoft owns the Iron Brigade IP and they seem determined to not let DF do anything with it, even if it's as relatively simple as fixing a longstanding bug in the PC version.

But if DF managed to get the IP back from Microsoft... it's still unlikely. Tim said on his Twitter that DF will release their games on whatever platforms allow for indie self-publishing, and considering the timing of that tweet, which was shortly after the Xbox One reveal, it was likely a roundabout way of saying that you probably won't see DF's self-published games on the Xbox One unless Microsoft changes their policies.

I swear i've heard they've changed there polices.

The only policy change I've heard of was removing the patching fee for 360 games (and they didn't even say whether that extended to the Xbox One or not). As far as I know, there's been no word on them changing their policies towards indie self-publishing.

The only policy change I've heard of was removing the patching fee for 360 games (and they didn't even say whether that extended to the Xbox One or not). As far as I know, there's been no word on them changing their policies towards indie self-publishing.

If you watched E3 you'll know they've changed alot with there polices. Before assuming something please sir read about it.

If you watched E3 you'll know they've changed alot with there polices. Before assuming something please sir read about it.

That's ma'am to you and that goes doubly for you when you go all out on someone with that tone. Changing a lot is not the same as changing everything. There was no word on Microsoft changing their policies regarding self-publishing during E3. It's only during the last couple of weeks that there's circulated some rumors about a policy change in media, but there's been nothing concrete yet.

This article about Lorne Lanning (creator of the Oddworld series) voicing his displeasure with Microsoft's policies towards indies was published just yesterday. Within the article, you can find this:

"The problem Microsoft is presenting is this. For an indie to get published on XBLA, it needs a publishing partner as self-releasing on Live is prohibited. This partner may be Microsoft itself, the most prominent example of this type of deal being Minecraft. This means the indie has to give up a revenue share to get onto XBLA, whether it’s to Microsoft or a third-party like Warner, the publisher of Supergiant’s Bastion.

In the last generation Microsoft held plenty of cards, but Xbox 360 released in 2005 and the world has changed. The truth Microsoft must now confront is that it is wrong to force publishing deals on independent developers when faced with enormously popular self-publishing platforms such as Steam and the App Store. Sony clearly understands it can never be prudish on the subject of self-publication again. This isn’t even an ethical issue: financially, larger indies like JAW and Supergiant simply don’t need Xbox any more. Millions of sales are possible through other platforms, and as a result Microsoft appears to be both draconian and out of touch. For a tech company, especially one in a market as fast-moving as video games, that’s unacceptable."

Microsoft may have made some changes, but indie self-publishing was not among them. There were rumors of them announcing self-publishing at the recent Build conference, but the only thing that really effected indies that came out of that was the removal of the patching fee on the 360.

I never said there was no chance, I just said it was unlikely. It'd be a big port job since the 360 and One have totally different hardware (in fact, considering the type of hardware the One uses, I imagine that it might be easier to base it on the PC version of IB if this was to happen), and Microsoft owns the IP, so they call all the shots.

In related news, this article that broke just earlier today seems to imply that Microsoft has finally realized just how archaic and harmful to indies their publishing policies were.

let's clear up the confusion...

from PC MAG

By Stephanie Mlot July 24, 2013 06:33pm EST

About a month after dropping the always-on Internet requirement for its Xbox One console, Microsoft will embrace another change: allowing independent studios to distribute games without a publishing partner.

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator," Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten said in a statement. "That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox Live.

"This means self-publishing," he said. "This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox Live. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at Gamescom in August."

Do you realize that July 24 was yesterday and that Syd beat you to presenting these news? You were still wrong about Microsoft presenting policy changes on indie self publishing during E3 and at the time you posted your claims there had only recently surfaced rumours about this. Note rumours. Nothing official. The official statement came only yesterday after a week and a half of rumours circulating.

It's good that you've cleared up the confusion, but you were the only one confused in the first place.

Topics can get so...off topic. DF would be better off making a watered-down step-child of IB on the OUYA than get shackled to MS again. Thats just my opinion, anyways. Theres too many crazy rumors about the xbox one....like all the online gaming rights and game registering and bla bla bla....all that stuff makes me never wanna get it. I don't have the console, so I don't actually know, technically. Not having any money is also a big factor.

Sign in to follow this