Sign in to follow this  
nmalinoski

Dropchord playable today!

Uh, I dunno! I was focusing on looking for on-screen prompts, so I wasn't really processing the completion screens, and I don't know the music well enough to say which track I reached.

Also, while I have your attention, can you guys please set up a Bandcamp page so I can buy the soundtrack in FLAC? :]

Just got done playing a bit of Dropchord. I finished the verse of 'move fingers fast to spin' track (whatever number that is; 4/5 perhaps?) before losing. Bloody brilliant if I do say so myself although I have noticed that the Leap has trouble tracking multiple fingers. In the second track, where you need to have both hands, fingers spread above the device to then move multiple fingers into the circles, the Leap had trouble keeping track of each finger. It could very well be how the Leap is setup and I might need to play around with it some more.

Other than that, bloody good job on the game. Definitely going to play it later on tonight.

Just got done playing a bit of Dropchord. I finished the verse of 'move fingers fast to spin' track (whatever number that is; 4/5 perhaps?) before losing. Bloody brilliant if I do say so myself although I have noticed that the Leap has trouble tracking multiple fingers. In the second track, where you need to have both hands, fingers spread above the device to then move multiple fingers into the circles, the Leap had trouble keeping track of each finger. It could very well be how the Leap is setup and I might need to play around with it some more.

Other than that, bloody good job on the game. Definitely going to play it later on tonight.

I've heard that that can be an issue with lighting.

It's true, direct light on the Leap can cause jitter in the reported positions, but most of the time the Leap software is good about telling you if it's getting bad data. It may just be the position of your hands over the Leap when you're playing.

I've seen this issue happen and often times it fades as players get used to the device and the game. It's kinda like getting used to what parts of your living room the Kinect would detect you in.

Will my iPhone 4 be able to play the game, or does the game need to be run on the 5?

Will my iPhone 4 be able to play the game, or does the game need to be run on the 5?

Definitely works on the 4.

We added a "visual settings" menu option to the mobile versions so you can adjust it according to your phone's performance. This makes more sense with Android devices, but when that iPhone 6S comes out, there's a visual setting called "The Future" that's made specifically for it.

Awesome. I was afraid for a while that it would only run on the iPad, but figured that wouldn't be the case since it was going to be on Android devices. Looking forward to playing it next week.

To be fair, it did always say "iOS", so I took that to mean it be playable on either the iPhone or iPad. Which iOS devices does it support, Patrick?

I also watched some of the SlideToPlay stream earlier and it's looking very nice indeed. Curious to see the GC achievement list now. :)

To be fair, it did always say "iOS", so I took that to mean it be playable on either the iPhone or iPad. Which iOS devices does it support, Patrick?

I took it to mean that too, but I haven't seen this type of game on the iPhone, and thought it was possible that they might just put it on iPad since I assume it would be really hard to get it working the way they wanted on the smaller screen. Happy to hear I can play it soon.

It works on both iPhone and iPad.

I end up playing it with my thumbs on a phone, but by fingertips on the tablets. You can do full rotations of the beam if you play that way.

You'll see what I mean in exactly 1 week!

I get the impression the game might be better for an phone screen rather than a tablet. As you say, I'll find out in a week. I assume the iOS version has iCloud support (given that MMoJ does)?

It doesn't, but that's because there's not much to sync across devices.

Your high scores and achievements are stored in Game Center.

I should be getting my Leap tomorrow. Really excited to play this. :ahhh:

Also, while I have your attention, can you guys please set up a Bandcamp page so I can buy the soundtrack in FLAC? :]

I was just told the Bandcamp page will be live Monday. :)

I was just told the Bandcamp page will be live Monday. :)

Holy crap; I didn't think anyone listened when I suggested Bandcamp. If you guys aren't going to release physical CD versions, the Dropchord soundtrack via Bandcamp is an insta-buy for me.

Any plans to release other material, like the OSTs for Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, et al?

Any plans to release other material, like the OSTs for Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, et al?

Yup! Everything that's on iTunes at the moment will be on the Bandcamp page.

So I received my unit today and have been playing Dropchord for awhile. I'm really into it! I'm still getting use to the controls, in Dropchord and elsewhere with the Leap, but I'm doing better each time I go start a game.

Is it permanently free on Airspace? Once I installed the software I noticed it and a couple of other apps showed up automatically. I figured they were demos but I checked the store and Dropchord was listed as free.

Hooray! Grabbed the MMoJ soundtrack as it's the only one I was missing. :)

My Leap arrived this afternoon, so I've just gotten started with Dropchord. The core gameplay is a lot of fun so far, and the music in particular is really kickass.

I'm finding it a bit punishing at certain moments, particularly when the little hover-and-hold circles come into play. I'd love to see an easy mode added in where the hold duration and proximity were a little more forgiving. Additionally the tracking on the Leap can sometimes be a little goofy, for example when you're required to introduce extra fingers for the 3, 2, 1 bubbles or when one hand starts to get a little above the other.

Anyway, that's all nitpicky stuff right now, much of which will likely be improved by future Leap firmware. My top score is presently around 1.67 million, and I'll be heading back in for another shot once my fingers have had a rest!

I'd love to see an easy mode added in where the hold duration and proximity were a little more forgiving.

Good idea-- if it makes sense to release a patch for the game, we'll see what we can do about difficulty selections.

..for example when you're required to introduce extra fingers for the 3, 2, 1 bubbles or when one hand starts to get a little above the other.

For the pointing sections [with the bubbles], try extending all your fingers, spread wide. There's a tutorial image that shows a good hand position strategy, but it's subtle.

I keep struggling with those icons that need to be held until the circles disappear from around them. I can't keep my hands still enough all the time, haha. I feel like I'll probably do better in that area on the mobile version.

I'd love to see an easy mode added in where the hold duration and proximity were a little more forgiving.

Good idea-- if it makes sense to release a patch for the game, we'll see what we can do about difficulty selections.

That would be terrific. Pretty much everything else feels on-target in terms of difficulty IMO.

..for example when you're required to introduce extra fingers for the 3, 2, 1 bubbles or when one hand starts to get a little above the other.

For the pointing sections [with the bubbles], try extending all your fingers, spread wide. There's a tutorial image that shows a good hand position strategy, but it's subtle.

In the end I found a good method was to keep my index and middle fingers outstretched and fairly close to one another on both hands and then use the four available fingers to create the necessary combos (i.e. add the index finger from my right hand to the already on-target two fingers from my left hand to hit a 3-finger target bubble). There seemed to be less of an issue with the detection losing fingers that way.

I keep struggling with those icons that need to be held until the circles disappear from around them. I can't keep my hands still enough all the time, haha. I feel like I'll probably do better in that area on the mobile version.

That was my biggest problem too, especially when there's two on-screen and they're both moving in opposite directions!

I found a tactic worth trying out was to switch from fingers to a pair of chunky pens. I was able to grip the pens in a more stable fashion, and because they don't bend or shake slightly like my fingers I was able to become a little more accurate. Your mileage may vary.

New high score = 1.9 something million.

That was my biggest problem too, especially when there's two on-screen and they're both moving in opposite directions!

I found a tactic worth trying out was to switch from fingers to a pair of chunky pens. I was able to grip the pens in a more stable fashion, and because they don't bend or shake slightly like my fingers I was able to become a little more accurate. Your mileage may vary.

New high score = 1.9 something million.

Neat, I'll give that a try. Just from holding up my hands and pretending I've got pens in them I can already tell my hands are more steady.