Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bazzal

Idea for the beginning-of-game story...

[read the thread title; pitch in]

The demons have grown too strong and spread too far. After years of internal conflict between the human realms (Game of Thrones style), they decide to join forces against the demon corruption. They vote on resurrecting the "Laste Emperor of the Entyre Worlde of Olde" that once unified the realm (like their world's Alexander the Great, but less of a douche-bag). They use the magic of their newly forged ancient magical Massive Challice (which was split as broken relics between the Families) to resurrect him and bind him with it.

Here comes a cool scene of the first heros of your game pledging their lives and their childrens' lives to you for the generations to come, until you rid the realm of the demons. Now they wait for you to start the long-breathed fight to restore the realm. This scene is done with the in-game tactical engine (to see your heroes as they appear in battle, and for later surprises).

The Immortal Ruler's UI is brought up. This is where your aide explains what's up and shows you around - let the tutorials begin!

Whoops! No time for slow tuts! The Middle Grounds where the resurrection and hero pledging ceremony took place is being attacked by demons! Use your new heros to defeat them. (This is the tactical tutorial.) This is also a good way to get to know your first line up of heros. You win the fight, but the Middle Grounds are destroyed.

Now that the crisis is handled but the Middle Grounds destroyed, you must choose a new capital and arrange the first heroic couplings. (This is the strategic tutorial.) By now you have a sense of your heros and who you might want to retire to keep-duty.

Thoughts?

Just a short note, but it sounds vaguely reminiscent of the beginning of Actraiser on the old SNES... which I LOVED.

Way more games should do the "my lord" mortals-bowing-meekly-at-your-newly-resurrected-throne schtick. Well meaning divine ruler, now taking applications. Line for the Audience hall begins at the left folks.

It's not a bad suggestion. From watching the stream updates I believe they haven't pinned down the lore for Massive Chalice yet. I had my own idea for how I thought the game should start out, but I'm afraid that if Double Fine actually read it and used parts of it that it would end up spoiling the beginning for others that had read it on the forums.

I know I could just try and PM it to John, Chris, or Brad but those guys have to be really busy now and I don't want to randomly bombard them with a page or two of storyline ideas when they could be doing something more important. I'm confident they will come up with an awesome beginning for the game and lore back-story without my input. I might post my idea on here later down the road and it had a tutorial option like yours, which will likely be needed. I am open to private messaging it to other forum members for some input if anyone is interested.

785612610.jpg?1372469062

Sign in to follow this