Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Ys 1's Final Boss IS AN ***HOLE (spoilers)

I've decided to tackle the Ys series of RPGs and just finished the first game on normal mode. The final boss battle is one of the shortest and fastest final boss battles in all of RPG history, but it is also STUPIDLY STUPIDLY HARD. It's seriously one of those situations where you just have to fling yourself at it over and over again, die a bunch of times, and eventually you finally win through a combination of skill and a sheer luck.

Look at this bastard! This video is "normal" mode. There is also "hard" and "nightmare". Especially watch for the INSTANT kills.

He throws endless exploding fireballs at you that deal you damage if they or their schrapnel hit you. He deals you damage if HE touches you and you aren't moving into him in an equal/opposite direction (i.e. if he hits you from the back, sides, or when you're standing still).

And the worst part is he randomly removes floor tiles, and if you happen to be standing on the one he removes at the moment he removes it, you just die. INSTANTLY. (That's how the guy keeps dying in the above video). And even if you don't die, he can remove all the tiles around you and just fireball your trapped ass to death.

It must have taken me 20 tries. I don't even want to think about nightmare mode. NO. No. That is not a mode I am interested in. Mostly because I don't like to cry.

after watching that video, i think i'm ok with skipping this game. i probably wouldn't even take it for free, since it would just sit there in my steam library, taunting me while i look at it and think "ehhhhhhhhhhh" to myself

It was actually pretty good. The only gripes I had with it were

1. Sudden gigantic difficulty spike of final boss is frustrating.

2. There is another boss, Vagullion (the "bat boss"), that isn't as hard as the final boss, but is also pretty frustrating in is own way.

All other bosses are just fine.

3. In the final dungeon, you have to climb up 25 floors of monsters and labyrinths, and when you reach the final boss door on the 25th floor, you can't go into it for some reason. It turns out you have to backtrack all the way back down to floor 11 and talk to an NPC you passed earlier, then go all the way back up. This is the epitome of stereotypical RPG time-wasting bullshit. It was the only thing in the game that made me genuinely upset.

But other than those three strikes, I had a great time with it and have already started Ys II.

Steam price is $15 for Ys1/Ys2 bundle, but I think that's a little steep. On sale for $5 or less, though, is a decent buy.