• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: Simon The Sorcerer

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: Simon The Sorcerer (starting 10th of August)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don't have the game or don't feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren’t so Frightening

Next Game: Kentucky Route Zero (Act 1)

250px-Simon_1_cover.jpg

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS

- 10th August, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 1st game session (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)

- 17th August, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 2nd game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)

- 24th August, 09:00PM UTC (click for your time zone): 3rd game session (Stream 3a, Stream 3b, Steam3c) and general discussion (log)

ABOUT THE GAME

Simon and his dog Chippy discover a chest containing a spellbook titled "Ye Olde Spellbooke" which pulls them into a fantasy world, setting them on a quest to rescue the wizard Calypso from the evil sorcerer Sordid.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE

- GOG (Windows, Mac)

- iTunes (iPhone, iPad)

Note for Linux and Mac users: This game can be played natively with ScummVM, and is listed as having 95% compatibility.

GAME CLUB INFO

- Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)

- Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you're not sure)

- @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)

- Game Club planning thread

Edited by Cheeseness
Fixed URLs after forum upgrade

I've actually only played this briefly a long time ago. But I'll be watching the stream tonight.

I'm going to be running it with a custom version of ScummVM that will let the game have subtitles as well as voice acting (normally, the subtitles are disabled in the talkie version). There's apparently no subtitles for Calypso's letter, and sometimes the speed the subtitles move may not quite match up with the speed of the voice acting, but it should work fine overall, though if some major problems pop up, I can easily disable the subtitles.

Fantastic choice - I hope to join. This is one of the games that has been on my "to play" list for a long, long time.

I'm going to be a little distracted this session (I'm at the of a 7 day game jam and it's super big crunch time at the moment). I've been interested to see this game for a long time though, so I'm a bit torn :D

We'll be live in a few minutes. Come join us!

Hope to make it next week- this is one of those games I've never gotten around to playing, but always wanted to.

I'm having to miss this out which is a shame as I love Simon! the woodworm are surely the best inventory item ever...:D

The second session will begin in less than 10 minutes. Come join us!

The final session begins in about 10 minutes!

Edit: Had some problems with ScummVM a few times there due to having to use an old version to force subtitles. Sorry about that!

Sream archive (Stream 3a, Stream 3b) and chat log from the final session are up, and here's a thread for the next game we'll be playing: Kentucky Route Zero, for which we should be able to wrangle some dev chat!

The original stuff I'd read about Simon's plot lead me to expect something mediocre and derivative, but it feels like this title stands happily on its own as an independent game (whilst still paying homage to some of the great classics), has some really nice art and aside from the odd jarring transition, has great music as well. I'm pretty keen to find out how the sequel stands up :D

Simon the Sorcerer 2 is a really solid adventure game as well. I think one's enjoyment of it mostly depends on how well they can tolerate Simon's new voice actor (most people don't seem too fond of the new voice) as well as the fact that his personality shifted from being snarky-but-still-likeable to arrogant and borderline-obnoxious.

Simon the Sorcerer 3D, however, is a total train-wreck.