Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 12: 8/7/2013

Hello backer friends! Back again with another Project Update! This friday will mark the end of another 3 week production sprint. We're a bit ahead on this one, so I figured I'd go ahead and fill you in early!

The goal of the sprint was to take a new girl world area to alpha. And we totes did! That leaves two more girl world areas to take to alpha before the entire first act is at Alpha! We're targeting mid-September for that, which is suuuuper soon and very exciting! Not only that but after this sprint, we now have at least first pass art finished on all Act 1 characters and environments! That means we're totally ready to roll into scripting up these final areas.

This sprint also saw our first recording sessions for professional VO. I don't think it's possible for me to state how excited the team is about all the great voice work we've got in the game. Those audio files are being edited now and many of them have already found their way into the game!

The VO also forced a bunch of important audio work. We now have a system in our debug build that allows us to see what sounds are currently playing to help with debugging. We also are now able to duck audio files when necessary which has made the audio team quite happy indeed.

And because I know you're dying to hear-documentary update! The 2PP guys have a rough cut of the next episode now and are just doing final edits now before they ship off to the audio guys. So it's coming! Maybe a couple weeks? Paul can speak to that in the doc thread. The episode has a bit of scheduling and release plan info, but focuses mostly on Peter McConnell's music and early VO casting meetings.

Last but not least, we're getting plans in place to come hang out with you at PAX! We'll be doing a combined MASSIVE CHALICE/Broken Age panel and will also be doing another fan meetup. Details coming soon. Hopefully we'll see some of you there!

Wait, am I reading and understanding this right? According to your post, there are just two areas left, both belong to the girl, and then Act I is in Alpha? So the boy just has 1 area the whole first Act? Or did you mean the girl only has two areas left for Act 1 but the boy's remains unannounced?

Hooray, I had so much fun at the PAX fan meetup last year! I hope this year it will still be during the weekend and not on Monday... because I will not be there on Monday.

Hooray, I had so much fun at the PAX fan meetup last year! I hope this year it will still be during the weekend and not on Monday... because I will not be there on Monday.

You're in luck! It's Sunday night.

Wait, am I reading and understanding this right? According to your post, there are just two areas left, both belong to the girl, and then Act I is in Alpha? So the boy just has 1 area the whole first Act? Or did you mean the girl only has two areas left for Act 1 but the boy's remains unannounced?
Act 1 is boy and girl i'm reading this and means the entire boy area already is in alpha.

Act 1 is boy and girl i'm reading this and means the entire boy area already is in alpha.

Yes, I think I remember something about boy act 1 being in alpha as a milestone recently.

Can't wait to find out more about the voices!

The Voices (2014)

Crime | Drama | Horror - 2014 (USA)

Not yet released

A disturbed factory worker who hears advice from his pet dog and cat is implicated in the accidental death of his co-worker.

Source: imdb

Looking forward to it! I know (as a developer myself) how it can feel great to be ahead of schedule even for just one sprint. Keep it up!

Audio ducking is when the volume drops. For example when the music volume drops low so it doesn't drowned out the dialog.

Yippee!

Can't wait to see Mr. McConnell's work from a new perspective! ^_^

Glad to hear the girl part is coming along nicely and ahead of schedule. Hopefully the voice over parts of the episode won't give too much away, other than the actual process and a bit of the cast. :D

I wish I could be there at PAX and catch you guys. Kinda makes me sad that I live so far away. Now if only I could hitchhike across the Atlantic... Is there such a thing as "plane surfing"? Hmm... maybe I could swim across... or burrow a tunnel under the Earth. Oh, I know - I'll just teleport! That way I won't have to deal with airline security!

I just joined the forum/backer and this is my first update since. I'm just so excited about this project and wanted to spread my love... um, without the cooties, of course! Also, I wanted to thank y'all from the bottom of my heart. Seriously. This whole adventure so far has been such a huge inspiration to me and has helped motivate me to do equally cool things in life. The optimism is simply infectious... er, I mean it's spreading... um, well, you know what I mean!

Keep up the good work <3

Aw man super late reply 8(

Thanks for the update Greg! Again, I can't wait for the episode and am super glad things are moving along. Wish there were more conventions and gatherings over here in the West o' Australia though. Perth gets so little love.

Thanks for the update Greg! Again, I can't wait for the episode and am super glad things are moving along. Wish there were more conventions and gatherings over here in the West o' Australia though. Perth gets so little love.

If we could get enough people interested, I'd be happy to head over to Perth for a DF fan meetup :D

Looking forward to the voices of Broken Age... I can tell that you've got a great track record with delivering excellent top-tier casts!

What famous VAs will we recognize in this game?

Can't wait for the next update! ^_^

Yes, I think I remember something about boy act 1 being in alpha as a milestone recently.

I rewatched an earlier episode and I think I heard Tim say that the Spaceship has 16 puzzles, while the Cloud Colony only has 4 (I think I got that right). So, if that's the case, then I can see why it took so long to complete the Spaceship and why they're breezing through the rest of the areas now.

I rewatched an earlier episode and I think I heard Tim say that the Spaceship has 16 puzzles, while the Cloud Colony only has 4 (I think I got that right). So, if that's the case, then I can see why it took so long to complete the Spaceship and why they're breezing through the rest of the areas now.

I'd think that's because Spaceship is going to be the whole of Boy Act 1, at least, and is made up of many locations, while the Cloud Colony is just a part of Girl Act 1 and only has a few.

If we could get enough people interested, I'd be happy to head over to Perth for a DF fan meetup :D

Well we are the most isolated Capital city in the world hehe.

Thanks for the update Greg, I wait with bated breath....or was that baited? Meh, either way works for me ;-)

Wow. It got quiet around here. But I hope I'm not the only one who's eager to take Greg literally (and completely ignore the word "maybe" - and that question mark) and expect the next episode in two days...

Wow. It got quiet around here. But I hope I'm not the only one who's eager to take Greg literally (and completely ignore the word "maybe" - and that question mark) and expect the next episode in two days...

I hope you are :b

Don't expect anything, just be happy when it arrives :)

It's with the audio guys now! Shooting for next week.

It's with the audio guys now! Shooting for next week.

Woo! Thanks for the update ^_^

Sign in to follow this