Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bazzal

Making the demons different than humans using tims lapse!

I thought about the game being about time and stuff, and realized a cool visual way of portraying the demons as unreal and creepy things using time-lapse-like effects on them. This would make them:

1)Look very different than humans on the map

2)Look Creepy and incorporeal

3)Portray the element of time that's in the overall flavor of the game

On with the inspiring photos!

the attached pics are a good example of:

-demon attack animations

-demon bodies

-demon movement on map

Most time lapse visuals in games are used to portray fast movement, but if we didn't go for that trope we might be able to get across the feeling that these demons exist in a few time zones at once, or something. Plus slow movement is always creepy.

some more examples:

the-photos-are-then-developed-by-hand-onto-silver-gelatin-paper.jpg

marey_pole.jpg

some-of-the-couples-even-brought-in-their-children--notice-the-baby-sleeping-in-the-upper-left-corner.jpg

the-photos-are-then-developed-by-hand-on

marey_pole.jpg.145cfcff7fb85c71ae0205428

some-of-the-couples-even-brought-in-thei

This also leaves all the room for the sulfurous colors and whatnot...

some more...

the-room-is-lit-with-candles-so-that-the-movements-and-positions-of-the-couples-are-exposed-on-film.jpg

Foto+1.jpg

the-resulting-photographs-are-quite-ghostly-and-illustrate-how-intimate-sleeping-with-another-person-can-be.jpg

the-room-is-lit-with-candles-so-that-the

578d003954f05_Foto1.jpg.58a71526485c5ae3

the-resulting-photographs-are-quite-ghos

I think that's a pretty cool idea. Of course, you do have to consider that the demons will occupy an isometric battle map and most of the time will be standing idle, so the time lapse effect won't have much to offer there. You also have to consider that the characters on the battlemap are most likely going to be fairly small, so seeing time lapse in the finer details of their movement probably won't be possible.

You could probably really only effectively time lapse a movement across squares---about as interesting as time lapsing a falling object or a sliding chess piece----or an attack animation----which is only a couple of frames. A lot of times that enemy may only be moving a single square. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the time lapse effect to truly shine. Any ideas for how to squeeze more out of it?

I think that's a pretty cool idea. Of course, you do have to consider that the demons will occupy an isometric battle map and most of the time will be standing idle, so the time lapse effect won't have much to offer there. You also have to consider that the characters on the battlemap are most likely going to be fairly small, so seeing time lapse in the finer details of their movement probably won't be possible.

You could probably really only effectively time lapse a movement across squares---about as interesting as time lapsing a falling object or a sliding chess piece----or an attack animation----which is only a couple of frames. A lot of times that enemy may only be moving a single square. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the time lapse effect to truly shine. Any ideas for how to squeeze more out of it?

Well, having them be flimsy, thus having much negative space (like what they discussed on the humans) will help the faded times appear more clearly. Also having simple yet strange idle animation for the demons will help it be relevant for those stand still moments. They could have flailing appendages and tentacles that will be easier to spot from a pulled out isometric view as well.

They could always have this strange little dance they do when they attack, instead of just a straight forward jab. Anything strange we do to add to the effect will only differentiate them further from humans and traditional demons, which is a good thing :)

I wholeheartedly approve of the whole thing. They tripple forearm thing they had going already kind of looked like this, so I hope they attempt it. it just looks badass. also, I don't see why the effect could only be done while they're moving. They could have an unsettling idle animation, and have the effect look almost reversed when they attack: the after effect lands first, then the strike comes along getting dragged along the timelapse effect.

I can imagine the first image basically serving as a demon's upper body, thrashing around even when it's not doing anything. Could represent memories, and/or time compression, where you've got a bit of a ghost of christmas past present and future overlapping.

I wholeheartedly approve of the whole thing. They tripple forearm thing they had going already kind of looked like this, so I hope they attempt it. it just looks badass. also, I don't see why the effect could only be done while they're moving. They could have an unsettling idle animation, and have the effect look almost reversed when they attack: the after effect lands first, then the strike comes along getting dragged along the timelapse effect.

I can imagine the first image basically serving as a demon's upper body, thrashing around even when it's not doing anything. Could represent memories, and/or time compression, where you've got a bit of a ghost of christmas past present and future overlapping.

+1 all of that. :)

Appropriate idea the team won't implement until they've nailed down higher priority targets like incorporating transgender people into a feudal european setting.

Also, should've been posted in this thread

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9575/

the time [demons] will be standing idle,

Their default model stance and idle animations would render them as moving several places at once, like a demon from Jacob's Ladder, they would never resolve into a single still form, even in death flickering between phases.

I dunno. I still think the difficulty would be determined by the final size/proportions of the characters, which were being discussed in the last team stream, but weren't at all set in stone yet. This is a problem you run into with art. Like one of the most difficult things about pixel art is that a character like the original mario has to be really small, and all of his movements and limbs need to somehow be discernible despite his tiny size and two dimensional shape.

If you were playing---I dunno---Bioshock or Saints Row or something and you came across a character with solid red skin and wearing solid red clothes, his more detailed features would be harder to discern due to everything being red and running together, but you wouldn't really have any difficulty understanding his overall shape or his movements. But if you played a version of the original super mario brothers where EVERY one of Mario's pixels were red, he wouldn't even look like a person. He would look like just a red blob, jiggling incoherently as it moved around, mostly to the right. Mario didn't originally wear a hat and suspenders because his designer thought it would look good. He was given a hat and suspenders because that particular costume was really good at helping the human eye perceive him as a man and not just a jiggling pixel blob.

So if the character models turn out to be Final Fantasy Tactics size, you couldn't effectively use a time lapse effect on, say, the character's fingers. The character probably wouldn't even have fingers aside from *implied* fingers. And even if it DID have fingers, the movements and time lapses would be so miniscule that they wouldn't even really be discernible. So how do you use time lapse to create a creepy effect on a character that is Final Fantasy Tactics sized? I think Blood Bridle's idea of giving them an idle animation where they twerk all over the place is a pretty good one, but idle animations tend to be pretty conservative, and often for good reason. You don't want an idle animation to get TOO complex. And I'm not sure I would want the demons to twerk out non-stop, because all that constant shaking and jiggling around just turns them into a sentient motion blur instead of letting them have a defined shape. I think it would be much better if they had a normal idle animation and then they would occasionally experience a momentary flicker of time twerking, then fell back into the traditional idle.

I don't mean to rain on the parade when I question how this effect could be implemented, because I do sincerely love the idea, but I think the scale and proportions of the characters (emphasis on scale) will dramatically impact the ways you could use it and how it would look. I do like it, though, totally.

Sign in to follow this