Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

GfWL is going down, developers are getting rid of GfWL in existing games, what about Iron Brigade

#1 - No games are getting released with GfWL anymore.

#2 - Microsoft has confirmed they're closing the GfWL Marketplace

#3 - GfWL titles like Bioshock 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City are being updated like crazy now, in what seems like preparation for getting rid of GfWL

#4 - The developers of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, a Microsoft published title, have confirmed that they're getting rid of GfWL.

So......Iron Brigade?

I have the game installed but haven't played it because I didn't want to bother setting up a GFWL account. I'd definitely hop in if we can play it without it.

Double Fine can certainly ask them about it, but in the end it's all up to Microsoft. They own the IP, so they call all the shots.

I'd love to see GFWL removed from IB. The stutter bug basically renders the game unplayable, and through my own experiences I have plenty of reason to believe that it's caused by the presence of GFWL.

The part that scares me a bit from Microsoft's announcement is when they say "Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace."

That would basically mean that if the PC version of Iron Brigade doesn't get updated to remove the GFWL backed, it could not be sold anywere anymore.

A removing of gfwl would be quiet awesome. We managed to assemble a brigade of 4 people

the other day and went for Settlement survival. It was one rough journey. We made it in the

50s, but we had good connections. We already collapsed before wave 10 before.

Double Fine can certainly ask them about it, but in the end it's all up to Microsoft. They own the IP, so they call all the shots.

I think it's the exact same situation with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, that is having GfWL removed.

I absolutely must know this as well, judging from what I have heard there's a high chance they can remove gfwl. Rumors say lots of other devs are doing it.

I expect a constant influx of players should gfwl be dropped, we already got some semi regular games running again.

And there are some old fellows, some I played with together a year ago the last time, who are dropping by to ask me

how the state of the game is. There is interest and always love, of course love, as this is a game about love, from

random strangers I encounter, to aid in a mission or two. The timing would be terrific. Live, IB, live!

I think it's the exact same situation with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, that is having GfWL removed.

Oh, nice. I've tried playing through the game twice and both times I ran into a problem with my save file getting corrupted.

Anyway. I hope Double Fine are able to convert Iron Brigade to Steamworks at some point. If I'm remembering right, GFWL is the cause of that "scrap bug" that makes the multiplayer currently unplayable.

And it would be fun to earn all of the achievements again!

So it appears that it's been confirmed that GFWL will be totally shut down, online services and all, in July 2014.

Edit: That support page was deleted, so it was either false or leaked information Microsoft didn't want out yet. My money's on 'leak'.

Behold, for the day has come at long last!

Finally, after an eternity incarcerated in darkness, the almighty hand of the community broke free of the chains, grabbed the jailer, the evil demon terrorizing innocent players for so many years with endless suffering, which the demon tried to disguise by hiding it behind shiny words like "service" and "support", and threw this rotten pile of SH** back into the burning flames of hell which once barfed it upon the peaceful world!!!

And in the end, there was justice and peace on earth below!!!

AMEN!!!

(with tears in the eyes) I can't believe, that it's finally over!!!

This news will fill the ranks of the Brigade overnight!

So, back to business! Somebody down to waste some tubes?

Mr Schafers answer on twitter when I asked what will happen with Iron Brigade: "Not clear yet! Trying to find out right now."

This post is taken from Neogaf, about the future of Iron Brigade. The only sources I have for it the post there, so it's no confirmation, but if true, we can expect all our Steam bought copies of the game to stop working in about a years time.

Multiple people, myself included, contacted Double Fine about Iron Brigade. The response has been categorically that it's Microsoft's game, the ball is in Microsoft's court, and it's up to MS to initiate the patch-out process or pay them to.

Post #59 here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658977&page=2

I don't expect Microsoft to do any such thing.

And since the neogaf thread is about GfWL starting to be removed from Steam, it wouldn't suprise me if Iron Brigade is to be removed also.

I don't blame Double Fine for this, but it does says a lot about what you can expect from Microsoft in terms of how they will treat your purchases. Stuff like this makes the XBOX One a non-option for me, and I really hope that Double Fine doesn't get tempted to do any more deals with MS if (more likely when) they start to moneyhat devs, like Sony are doing now.

I recall Tim talking on Twitter a few months back about how poorly Microsoft treated them in regards to Iron Brigade (apparently Microsoft promised better support and advertising for IB in return for the IP, and didn't deliver at all). Just from how angry he seemed at Microsoft from the tone of his tweets, he didn't sound too keen on working closely with them again.

DF is also supposedly now more careful about what sort of publishing deals they agree to as well. They won't work with a publisher unless the terms are favorable.

DF is also supposedly now more careful about what sort of publishing deals they agree to as well. They won't work with a publisher unless the terms are favorable.

I hope they stick to that. Iron Brigade was test I did, after previously having completely refused to even consider buying anything with GfWL, and this shows that I was right in doing so. I'm lucky with having just one title that will stop functioning, but there are people on Neogaf that sits with 20 or so titles that they don't know what will hapen with.

I dont blame DF for anything though, since I knew even before purchasing the game that GfWL wasn't their choice. The only thing that dissapoints me a bit is their silence regarding the future of the title here on the forums. Not only this thread, but in others too.

I hope they stick to that. Iron Brigade was test I did, after previously having completely refused to even consider buying anything with GfWL, and this shows that I was right in doing so. I'm lucky with having just one title that will stop functioning, but there are people on Neogaf that sits with 20 or so titles that they don't know what will hapen with.

I dont blame DF for anything though, since I knew even before purchasing the game that GfWL wasn't their choice. The only thing that dissapoints me a bit is their silence regarding the future of the title here on the forums. Not only this thread, but in others too.

Haha, I'm one of them. I probably have a couple dozen GFWL games on Steam and thankfully I've fully played all of them but there are a few I'd hate to lose access to, with Iron Brigade being the main one. Still, I bought each one knowing that I'd probably lose access to it (actually, I do that with every game on Steam) so I'm not surprised by any of this.

Well the silence on DF's part is probably because they eother don't know what's going to happen yet or Microsoft isn't letting them talk about what's going to happen yet. DF's been so open with Broken Age and Massive Chalice that it's easy to forget that they have to go through a publisher before announcing anything on most of their other games.

So when GFWL goes down, and its not all transferred to Steam, does this mean I cant play the game at all, or just the mp?

A removing of gfwl would be quiet awesome. We managed to assemble a brigade of 4 people

the other day and went for Settlement survival. It was one rough journey. We made it in the

50s, but we had good connections. We already collapsed before wave 10 before.

I think I was one of the people with you in that game. Thanks for helping me get the final achievement I needed. :)

At this stage, I'm just glad I was able to get all the XBL achievements unlocked. I hope DF can sort something out and get Steamworks support into IB PC. It would be such a shame for the game to just disappear as it's so awesome.

Tim said on Twitter that patching GFWL out of IB is a very active topic at DF right now.

Still, like Leroy said, it ultimately depends on Microsoft giving them the green light to do so. We probably won't hear much aside from some variation "We're looking into it" until they get a definite answer from Microsoft.

Well the silence on DF's part is probably because they eother don't know what's going to happen yet or Microsoft isn't letting them talk about what's going to happen yet. DF's been so open with Broken Age and Massive Chalice that it's easy to forget that they have to go through a publisher before announcing anything on most of their other games.

Despite that, one would still hope that they would acknowledge peoples concerns with their purchased products on the forums or on their blog a bit more.

I was just reading about this on GAF. Curious indeed. I don't really play Iron Brigade much anymore, but I still have a few GFWL titles that I would like to be kept supported. It sure doesn't instill much faith in Microsoft's online vision when you see them unceremoniously pulling the plug on GFWL and giving MS Points an expiration date.

Yeah, nothing bad could have happened if MS went through with their plans to make the XBone an all out DRM machine.

Well, I'm still severely addicted. And I need my fix. I can't guarantee what I'll be doing without.

And thank you steam for rubbing me my 300 Iron Brigade hours in my face. I'm just glad

nobody counted my game boy minutes, don't mention the Atari 2600 and C-64. Oh man.

Anyways, I encountered another madman, which is good in a way, but sad for my mental health

I guess. But that's a small price to pay for stopping the endless monovision horde. So, against

the stutter lag and the nay sayers we're going for the 100 waves on survival. Maybe an

autonomous brain region has taken it on itself to adapt to it and when it'll once be fixed,

I'll be feeling like someone took all the framerates, put them in gattling gun and keeps

firing them at me. Yeah, it's slow day here and I had way too much coffee.

As most of you know, Mark of the Ninja is in the current Humble Indie Bundle. Thankfully it's not ridden with the horrible GfWL. It is however also published by Microsoft, and still received the DRM-free, cross-platform treatment.

I know this is a long shot, but wouldn't it be awesome if one of the bonus games next week turns out to be a DRM-free version of Iron Brigade with additional Mac and Linux versions?

This would be something deserving of the expression 'awesome'.

Also, as I have been playing Iron Brigade regulary again over the last weeks, I have been contacted

by people I have met since the PC release and there's so much positivity over the game and still

even meet people that are getting fresh into the meat of it, enjoying the game despite the

stutter. And there are so many willing to return. There's so much potential. And love.

And craziness, oh have I met wonderful folks in the trenches. I'll take a long shot anytime.

We need an update about this. Both Batman games are now free from GFWL as well as Bioshock 2.

This needs to continue.

So because of the GFWL shut down, that also means servers for games are getting shut down, so even games like Age of Empires Online are going to close.

This probably means that Iron Brigade servers will close too so no more multiplayer.