• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Atkinson_2pp

Sidequest: "Look, the Clocks..."

Watched this in bed with my girlfriend, she fell asleep on my chest mumbling "he's nice to listen to".

I agree, that was one of my favourite of the videos from 2pp. A sidequest worthy of being episode 11.

Dave Gardner: Love Guru?

The PlayStation Disc Swap technique to play Imports and Pirated games, haha, I think we all knew that one. ;)

You guys are great! Its so long, cus I have a tendency to ramble, in one long incredible sentence moving from topic to topic.
It's really

haha the hair cut got me off-guard , i was thinking hmm whos this? where is the "adventure games are not dead"

Once i noticed he said 'like' every two seconds i couldnt watch any more....sorry.

Watched this in bed with my girlfriend, she fell asleep on my chest mumbling "he's nice to listen to".

I agree, that was one of my favourite of the videos from 2pp. A sidequest worthy of being episode 11.

I'll give twelve, but eleven needs to continue ten.

It's funny you should mention that. I actually watched this with 4 girls falling asleep on my chest! I couldn't sleep though - this was a very entertaining sidequest!

hah! I was going through my archives to see if I could find some good whiteboard drawings from when we were desiging levels for the cave. I wanted to post a couple for ya'll to see, but instead I found this one first.

I was like, hey I don't recognize that shirt, hmm I don't have pens on my desk, and when did my arm get so harry?! oh wait.. Thats not me, that's a detail drawing of one of the puzzles I gave Levi!

So you guys are right, I guess we DO look the same!

mevi.jpg

mevi.jpg.79775956e3f6700a1eb37e626fb375c

[del]

[/del]

I don't know how I have managed to reply to other posters and have been trying unsuccessfully to delete them.

I loved this sidequest though.

I could easily have been the wife to his father.lol.

Great interview! I enjoyed it a lot.

As someone who never owned a gaming console as a kid (other than a computer loaded with QBasic and that gorilla banana flinging game that came with it), Dave's childhood indulgences are mildly mind-blowing to me.

Heh - me too. Modifying that Gorilla game to add a bouncing bananas mode was one of my earliest programming attempts. (Along with reading about games like DotT, imagining what it'd be like to play an adventure game and wanting to make one.)

hah! I was going through my archives to see if I could find some good whiteboard drawings from when we were desiging levels for the cave. I wanted to post a couple for ya'll to see, but instead I found this one first.

I was like, hey I don't recognize that shirt, hmm I don't have pens on my desk, and when did my arm get so harry?! oh wait.. Thats not me, that's a detail drawing of one of the puzzles I gave Levi!

So you guys are right, I guess we DO look the same!

Hmmm... how can you prove you are not the same person...?

The only definite proof I can think of is to have 2PP do Levi's sidequest and then we can compare.

I just bought Brutal Legend on the daily deal even though my PC cannot handle it. Going to throw that edit: AXE in the air SO many times. (on the ps3)

Multiple copies FTW.

EDIT: It works on my PC .

Dave: You grew up with quite an extensive console background. Were you a PC gamer in the 90's too? Just curious if/how adventure games played a part in your formative years.

Dave: You grew up with quite an extensive console background. Were you a PC gamer in the 90's too? Just curious if/how adventure games played a part in your formative years.

hah Honestly, until the mid 90s the computer was a pretty foreign object to me. My parents knew I wanted one, but they bought a Mac instead of a PC. And back then, there wasn't much you could play on a mac. Especially being born and bred by consoles!

My friend ( I even mention his name in there!) Troy! He was my PC friend, he would always load games up for me on his DOS computer, I would just shout, 'hey Troy? can we play dune 2? or Star command?'

Now, adventure games. Here is the big secret. I used to tease Tim and Ron insistently about adventure games. I wasn't really that into them when I was a kid! Too much walking. I would be like, 'UGH HOW DO I MAKE THIS GUY RUN!?' one time at lunch I swear I heard Tim say he was gonna stick a fork in my eye when I was making fun of adventure game mechanics. :P

I always felt like, console games were more straight forward, and as a kid, I couldn't really figure out what it was they wanted me to do in adventure games. I really got into the Dig. And Full throttle. Those were two adventure games I did play. Although with the Dig I really had to force myself to play through some of those mind numbing puzzles. It was like the adventure game version of Hellfire for me.

But there is hope for me yet! After specifically working on one with Ron and really learning the things the designers loved about them, their goals when they were making each one. I am flat out in LOVE with adventure games. Maybe its because I wasn't really privy to them before? Maybe its because they are such a great way to interact with characters and stories in games. I don't know! but I do love them.

So the secrets out! The adventure game fan, used to play Mario! I have thought about this so much since made that first Kicstarter video, 'oh man, they would string me up and burn me at the steak if they only knew!'.

whew, thanks for asking and letting me get that off my chest!!

PS ADVENTURE GAMES WILL NEVER DIE!!! EVER!

(oh yeah, and Doom made my head explode!)

Also, for a while, I thought Dave Gardner and Levi Ryken were the same person.

Haha! Me too.

ps Adventure games are dead.

I always felt like, console games were more straight forward, and as a kid, I couldn't really figure out what it was they wanted me to do in adventure games. I really got into the Dig. And Full throttle. Those were two adventure games I did play. Although with the Dig I really had to force myself to play through some of those mind numbing puzzles. It was like the adventure game version of Hellfire for me.

But there is hope for me yet! After specifically working on one with Ron and really learning the things the designers loved about them, their goals when they were making each one. I am flat out in LOVE with adventure games. Maybe its because I wasn't really privy to them before? Maybe its because they are such a great way to interact with characters and stories in games. I don't know! but I do love them.

That's not TOO weird, I suppose. You don't HAVE to "get" a work of art to enjoy it, but when you do develop a better understanding of it, it can really help you appreciate it more, and it allows you to enjoy it in a whole new way.

For example, I remember being a kid and watching my uncle Jason (the older-generation video game nerd in my family that I looked up to) play a lot of RPGs on console. But a lot of the RPGs he played were games like Earthbound and Breath of Fire where the battles were basically just motionless PICTURES of enemies and a lot of numbers and fast-moving text. I was SUPER intrigued by the games, but I did not understand them, and whenever I tried to figure one of them out, they just seemed confusing and weird. I had no idea about the history of the RPG form or anything like D&D etc, so there were just these tables of numbers that apparently meant something, but the game never explained it, and I was like WHAT IS THIS CRAP..?!?! I'm gonna go play Mario!

But THEN a certain Super Mario RPG came into my life. Super accessible to newbies to the genre and probably one of the all-time most fun RPGs ever. Square + Nintendo collab? COME ON. That's a recipe for video game crack. Anyway, after playing Mario RPG, I suddenly "got" the whole RPG thing, and now that I understood it, I had a craving for it. I wanted to try out more of them, see what they did differently, how each of them tried to put a unique spin on the RPG thing.

One thing is for sure, though. It doesn't help when people try to EXPLAIN a work of art to you. That's like when people explain the punchline of a joke. It explains it, but it doesn't do anything to help you appreciate it. It kinda does the opposite, in fact. You have to come to appreciate art on your own terms, I think.

So I dunno! I guess it just takes the right experience to come along and give you the "aha!" moment with the form. Sounds like The Cave was that moment for you and adventure games.

Great side quest.

I want to dust off the cartridges again...

"look, the clocks!" reminds me of when i first played virtua racing. OMG a 3d polygon racing car!!! :)

Wow - I'd like to see a drinking game where you take a drink every time Dave says "like". Most hardcore drinking game of all time. The Hellfire of drinking games!

Another great sidequest! I really enjoyed it. I Love the amount of detail that went into the story.

lol I'm just about to celebrate my 111th birthday!

Base 4 or base 5?

Really awesome sidequest! It's always great having a friend/coworker who you can have friendly competition with to keep pushing each other's work.

My Hellfire game was Sonic 2 for Game Gear (yeah!!). I finally beat it a few years later, but the first boss still gives me a heart attack from all the stress, haha.

Look! The Clocks! I loved your interview Dave! 2PP were right, I could just listen to you talk all day, it was very entertaining, I barely noticed the time.

A lot of what you said, about analysing computer games when you play them and pushing yourself creatively, resonated with me.

Great chat!

Cheers

P.S. By the way, they're called pendulums, those swaying things on the clocks :-)

P.S. By the way, they're called pendulums, those swaying things on the clocks :-)

I'm quite fond of the term clocksticles.

I'm quite fond of the term clocksticles.

Clocksticles works too :-)

Sign in to follow this