Sign in to follow this  
Atkinson_2pp

Sidequest: "Look, the Clocks..."

Hang onto your hats Adventure fans! This Sidequest is a long one!

We sat down with Animator on Broken Age, Dave Gardner, and with his exuberant energy and great stories we couldn’t help but give you nearly an hour worth of quality non-stop chatter from him! Enjoy!

A long list of Episode notes will follow!

[vimeo]72861477[/vimeo]

Episode Notes:

1:07 - Pong Home Machine

1:16 - Mattel Electronics Intellivision

1:52 -

[Wiki]

2:14 - Sega Genesis (Kinda weird I think this is the first time that Genesis has come up in the SQ Interviews)

2:19 - LA Times article about the Wizardrome! Sadly we couldn’t find any pictures, only their old logo that we put in the interview.

2:46 - Neo Geo

2:51 -

3:08 -

There is also another ad that I found for this series,

3:12 - Super Mario Nintendo 64 Ad

4:10 - Japanimation Even Wikipedia redirects Japanimation to Anime!

4:15 - 8 Man After

4:25 - John Woo’s Hard Boiled Classic Chinese action movie! Let’s see if Dave will suggest some more to check out!

5:23 - Lionel Trains

6:28 - GI Joe Defiant Space Vehicle on GI Joe collector’s site Original retail: $99.99 in 1987, adjusted for inflation puts it at $207.76 in 2013. [GI Joe on Wikipedia]

6:53 - GI Joe Aircraft Carrier on same site Original retail: $89.99, adjusted for inflation: $196.22. Mint in Box can be up to $1400 [source]

8:22 - Whip Rush Genesis

8:24 - Hellfire Genesis

10:18 - Super Star Wars

10:50 - Final Fantasy II It was known as Final Fantasy II in North America but in Japan it was actually Final Fantasy IV.

15:01 - Homer Goes to College

15:27 - Bryce 3D Modelling program

15:39 - Razmig Mavlian This footage of Raz is from 2PP’s Amnesia Fortnight Coverage where Raz worked on Hack ‘n Slash.

15:55 - Dave Gardner “adding funnies” for you, the viewer.

16:37 - Academy of Art [Wiki]

16:45 - SGI Computers

19:00 - The 2007 national average salary for an entry-level animator ranges from $47,041 $61,391

19:43 - SCEA

20:26 - Rise to Honor

21:41 - San Francisco Metreon That building is such a big deal it even has it’s own wikipedia page!

22:40 - Nihilistic Software Since Dave worked for them, they changed their name to nStigate Games. Their most recent game is “Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified” for the Playstation Vita.

22:45 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

23:03 - Starcraft: Ghost

23:57 - Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects

24:13 - Power Stone

25:50 - Conan the Barbarian series

25:58 - Conan (video game)

27:58 - Gamespot [Wiki]

28:34 - Gamespot review of Conan (XBOX 360)

28:39 - Metacritic review

30:20 - Elliott Roberts is another Animator working on Broken Age, you’ve probably seen him in the documentary series.

35:30 - Tasha Harris. She currently works at Pixar as their Lead Franchise Artist!

36:09 - Castlevania

36:47 - Ghosts ‘n Goblins Oh that wacky Arthur...

37:30 - Mother 3

38:01 - Mode 7 explained on its Wikipedia page

38:03 - Chrono Trigger

38:07 - Illusions of Gaia

48:48 - Independence Day

49:00 - Remember to send your metaphor tips and suggestions to Dave on Twitter, @IruinedYourDay.

Sweetness! Talk about perfect timing for logging in to check DFA forums! :D

Holy cow it's long!

Wow a 50 minute sidequest! I'll watch this first thing in the morning. :)

Yay, they kept it long!

Hellfire! It's the new hot expletive, courtesy of David Gardner.

Hmm, sounds like I need to pick up and play a bit of my Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects for Gamecube I have laying about. Totally loved that game!

And wow, Ryan Davis totally dug Conan on PS3, that's awesome! I'd love to pick that up someday to check it out.

I totally LOL'd at the Independence Day scene cut-in during David's metaphor. Great video editing, haha.

Can't wait for Broken Age, see you on the other side!

That was amazing... like. ;)

I can really appreciate the ginormous effort you all put into Broken Age. When it ships, it will be a day to remember, and many, many days thereafter. Being a part of the project and having the pleasure of listening to all the stories is so gratifying. Thank You!

Wow, talk about crazy energy :) If I spoke for 50mins like Dave, I'd need a bed to lie down. Awesome!

Great, I just had to check the forum at 1:30 AM before going to sleep. This is pretty exciting, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Woah! When did Dave get a haircut?!?! Are we sure this is the REAL Dave?

Tell us something about Dave that a Cylon Dave could not possibly know!

Talk about uncanny timing. Decided to poke my head in and caught a fresh Sidequest right off the grill! Love these. =)

Japanimation? I wonder if that expression ever got here to Europe. Although I had barely started school when I started watching Animes in the late 80's/early 90's so my English were nonexistent at the time. Don't think I even knew that I was watching something from Japan back then. I still love Cobra, even got them on DVD now.

Dave is one who said, "Adventure games are not dead!!!" in the pitch video, right?

He cut his hair!

That was interesting. Sounds like Dave really had a love for games, toys, and animation in his blood.

The Independence Day line and cut to made me laugh. Great work as always, 2PP.

Smiles

I, like, like this.

It's also neat to see how different everyone's background is, yet how their passion puts them along a similar path.

Awesome sidequest. Dave is really energetic and those metaphors were great.

Dave is one who said, "Adventure games are not dead!!!" in the pitch video, right?

He cut his hair!

That's correct. I think they made a point of him having cut his hair briefly in a previous documentary episode, but I don't remember which one.

This might be my favourite sidequest, although it's one of the ones that I relate to the least. As someone who never owned a gaming console as a kid (other than a computer loaded with QBasic and that gorilla banana flinging game that came with it), Dave's childhood indulgences are mildly mind-blowing to me. But it's cool to see that instead of turning into a chubby, greedy, cartoonish villain (e.g. Dudley from Harry Potter), he comes across as the polar opposite of that -- a wiry, energetic, entertaining dude who's unusually passionate about work.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for metaphorical ticking clocks in the background when I get around to playing Broken Age.

And wow, Ryan Davis totally dug Conan on PS3, that's awesome! I'd love to pick that up someday to check it out.

Ryan Davis! Thanks!! It was killing me trying to remember his name!! ugh I felt terrible just forgetting his name, after having been so previously excited! It was so rad to be in that group of 3, I was like, dafuq?

You guys are great! Its so long, cus I have a tendency to ramble, in one long incredible sentence moving from topic to topic.

And yea! I did cut my hair! please dont judge me too harshly, but I went and saw that Gatsby movie and then proceeded to the nearest barber and said, 'DO WHAT YOU DO, QUICKLY!'

You guys are great! Its so long, cus I have a tendency to ramble, in one long incredible sentence moving from topic to topic.

You're like Vernon Tripe when he's had way too much candy and mountain dew.

BOO! Huh-ha-ha-ha!

BOO! Huh-ha-ha-ha!

Haha, nice. The ghost story is probably my favorite Vernon monologue.

Watched this in bed with my girlfriend, she fell asleep on my chest mumbling "he's nice to listen to".

I agree, that was one of my favourite of the videos from 2pp. A sidequest worthy of being episode 11.

Also, for a while, I thought Dave Gardner and Levi Ryken were the same person.

Also, for a while, I thought Dave Gardner and Levi Ryken were the same person.

I thought The same thing :-o

Anyway, last minutes of the interview are really touching.

Watched this in bed with my girlfriend, she fell asleep on my chest mumbling "he's nice to listen to".

I agree, that was one of my favourite of the videos from 2pp. A sidequest worthy of being episode 11.

Yet another woman enraptured by Dave's intoxicating charisma.

FACT: Dave does not own a bed. Every night he creates a nest by talking a bunch of women to sleep and heaping their unconscious bodies into a pile, which becomes his "Dave nest". He then stands on hands and knees atop the pile, crawls in a circle three times, and then curls up atop his woman pile, and sleeps.

Sign in to follow this