Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kacy

Kacy Doodles Fanart

Hello Double Fine Action Forums! My name is Kacy and my first post is an art post.

You guys who've ever played Psychonauts--you ever get that craving, every so often, to replay the game and also devour all content related to it? This happens to me once every couple of years but this time I couldn't play the game, because I'm waiting to introduce it to my roommates when they get back in January. So to soothe the pains of my withdrawal, I doodled Raz a whole bunch.

Floaty Raz

floatyraz_zpsc11188c6.png

Water-phobic Raz

razbeachtime_zpse41e8778.png

And lots of Raz in little outfits inspired by some of the minds from the game that someday I might finish but today is not that day.

sketches_raz_zps76cbc621.jpg

Hope you guys like. c:

Oh man, haha, I didn't even think that folks from here might see this on tumblr first! Thanks a bunch man, glad you like them. c: Raz always seems to be one of the more fun and fluid to pose!

Aww, thanks man! ;u; My art blog is kacydoodles.tumblr.com.

Here's some sketches that aren't on there because they're OLD but, ah well, I still like them alright.

psychonautsold_zps81ac28a9.jpg

I didn't start out with the intention that Raz would end up so SASSY but, well. The kid took it and ran with it.

And thanks man! c: It's SO HARD for me to pick favorites in this game but Coach is definitely up there. I tend to have more fun messing around with his character than, say, Sasha or Milla, whom I generally leave as they are. Though I couldn't say why.

Maybe it's the bunnies.

Here's some other stuff that's floating around tumblr somewhere or another. This time it's Grim Fandango, which is ANOTHER one of those all-time-favorites that has Tim's name attached to it.

grimfandangirls2_zpsa36c0c52.png

manny_zps53157dcb.jpg

gf_zps0021c458.jpg

Awww, what!! ;o; You've seen these too?? I thought your username was familiar but I couldn't be sure... Anyway, thank you!!

I am officially following you now on Tumblr. Username's the same as on here.

I love the ponies you drew on your blog, and your Grim Fandango art is rad. I hope I can play it someday...

I saw! :D Thanks so much, man!!

Grim Fandango is SO good. There were a number of copies being sold on Amazon when I went looking for it--the real difficulty is getting it to run on a modern PC. I had to have a friend help me out, though I'm sure lots of people on here or on the Grim Fandango fansite would be able to offer a hand if you have trouble. It's worth it, imo. The writing is fantastic.

I saw! :D Thanks so much, man!!

Grim Fandango is SO good. There were a number of copies being sold on Amazon when I went looking for it--the real difficulty is getting it to run on a modern PC. I had to have a friend help me out, though I'm sure lots of people on here or on the Grim Fandango fansite would be able to offer a hand if you have trouble. It's worth it, imo. The writing is fantastic.

I own a Mac, though. I don't know if it was ever ported. There's also a money issue-- I don't really have spending money right now. I will make sure to ask the users here or on the fansite, just in case. I'm admittedly ashamed that I missed that whole era of gaming, and I want to make up for it.

No problem! Maybe we can collab on an art thing at some point?

I own a Mac, though. I don’t know if it was ever ported. There’s also a money issue—I don’t really have spending money right now. I will make sure to ask the users here or on the fansite, just in case. I’m admittedly ashamed that I missed that whole era of gaming, and I want to make up for it.

Man, I feel ya. :c I missed that era too and it can feel like a real bummer sometimes. But it made finally knuckling down and getting a copy of Grim Fandango all the more exciting! I'd wanted it for years.

I don't know what the whole situation would be with a Mac though, because it has to run in Windows 95/98 compatibility. I haven't heard of a port either, but MAYBE somebody's figured something out. I got all my info from grimfandango.net. Good luck!!

Maybe we can collab on an art thing at some point?

Sure man! :D That sounds super fun! Just PM me if you wanna set something up or if you need my Skype or anything! I'm gonna be moving this weekend so that'll be busy but after that I should be good any time!

Awsome art. It's always nice to see yet another talented artist appear in the fan art section of DFAF.

I've played Grim Fandango on my Windows 7, 64 bit using the Grim Fandango Launcher, so it's definitely playable on modern systems. I didn't encounter any game breaking bugs, but I do remember having some minor issues with a conveyor belt. For cross platform support there's also Residual VM, which lists GF as 85% completed. I seem to recall reading that it's possible to play through the game without issues, but I'm not 100% certain.

The real problem is acquiring a copy of the game. I got mine off eBay for about $30 including shipping, but naturally the availability and price will vary.

Aww, thanks Flesk! c: You guys make me feel super flattered, I'm happy to keep posting.

See, for me it was the opposite! I didn't have as much trouble tracking down a copy! Granted, it DID become more difficult to find one at a reasonable price, but on Amazon I found someone not only selling a good copy of the game itself, but they had the original box it came in as well as the soundtrack! It was a sweet deal. But getting the thing to run properly on Windows Vista turned into a headache for a while, haha. Lucky for me I had someone more tech-savvy on hand, got it running like new after only a couple hours of struggle. That launcher is definitely a must-have though, makes the whole thing so much smoother.

I've been wanting to sketch some doodles of Whispering Rock kids doing normal camp things, like roasting marshmallows or swimming in the lake. I'm just posting because I've actually having trouble thinking up ideas! So if you guys have prompts or something you'd like to see, lemme know. c: I'll post sketches sometime next week after I've moved into my new house.

Wiping the dust off of THIS thing, weh. Somehow the month of September completely ran away from me and, with a daze, I've arrived a month LATE with sketches. Tsk, tsk! Ah, well.

bobbyandchloe_zps6af0b5b2.jpg

This first one is for you, Kirby! Chloe does her best to give an astrology lesson and Bobby scrunches his little blue face up in attempts to understand. At least he's trying. He doesn't get all that science junk but he digs the constellation stories.

lakefun_zpsca5bcb59.jpg

Raz tries to brush off the whole "water phobia/gypsy curse thing" but, well. Kids are cruel.

marshmellers2_zpscdcb141c.png

CASE IN POINT. Razputin, not only has EVERY KID AT CAMP thought of that trick, but Phoebe finally agreed to you helping her think of a new band name and you are being SERIOUSLY insensitive to her issues.

sashaandmorry_zps0110880a.jpg

AND THIS TIME, NOT CAMPERS! Agent Nein and Coach at some pre-Psychonauts point in their lives, Sasha on smoke break from his factory job and Morry, well. I've kicked around a headcanon that working at your terrifying father's stupid gross butcher shop WOULD give someone weird meat-filled dreams. Though there's really nothing to confirm or deny it, and it seems almost too miserable to be true.

I'm pretty sure though that as soon as Sasha showed up on the scene to help out at camp, Morry took it as a very personal threat from higher-ups. THEY'RE TRYING TO REPLACE ME. WITH THIS TALL GUY. Cue an painfully firm handshake that extends for an awkward length of time.

And, bonus: Raz and Dipper from Gravity Falls. I don't tend for cross-overs but, man. This one tickles me. They're discussing Gideon's weird psychic bolo-tie.

razanddipper_zps99534f50.jpg

Aww, thanks man!! c: That's just about one of the nicest things I could hear!

I forgot to mention in the last post--I'm still up for camper requests, if anyone's got an idea (and doesn't mind the potential wait.)

Fantastic fan art, Kacy! I especially love the Raz + Dipper crossover!

Thanks Acefox! :D I'm glad you like it! Mystery Kids is probably my favorite cross-over.

How about psychic archery? Not sure what that entails but it could be interesting to see what you can come up with.

I think the Marksmanship/Psi-Blast badge is the closest equivalent in OFFICIAL training, but I think I might be able to come up with something closer to a bow-and-arrow style! P:

You're really great at facial expressions, Kacy. The look on Raz' face in the water is perfect. I love the finished marshmallow drawing as well.

Awww, thanks Flesk!! Expressions are one of the most fun parts of drawing but sometimes super difficult to get them just right. So I'm glad you like mine!

I can imagine. Do you draw them from scratch or do you draw them off real facial expressions?

In general, the expressions I draw come from inside my head! But the mental catalog of what expressions look like comes from a combination of watching human faces, studying how other people exaggerate them, and from that choosing how I'm going to portray them. But it's not so complicated when I'm drawing, a lot of it's a subconscious sort of thing.

It's sort of like learning a language: you learn what the words mean and how to arrange them, but you also listen to other people speaking to teach you how to get your point across, you pick up slang here and there, and the more you do it, the more intuitive it becomes. Now that I think of it though, I ought to draw more real-life human faces, because they're really fun.

That makes sense. I'm not an artist, so I don't take much notice of expressions myself, other than the initial processing. I can imagine that someone who spends a large amount of time working with them would though.

Sign in to follow this