Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
meisjoe

Has Tim Schafer lost his mojo

Has Tim Schafer lost his mojo?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Has Tim Schafer lost his mojo?

• Yes, beardless Tim makes me sad.
    • Yes, I lean toward the alien doppelganger theory.
    • No way, bro. Tim’s beard is still alive in a jar - and is providing him with daily mojo!
    • No way, bro! All of Tim's mojo is contained in his hair-do!

Did Tim Schafer lose his mojo - after shaving off his beard? Are we absolutely sure that Tim Schafer hasn't been replaced by a race of Alien that is unable to produce a convincing beard!?

Tim made Grim Fandango and Psychonauts when he was mostly lacking in facial hair, so I don't think the beard was his source.

Until the day he shaves his head but still continues to make great games, I'll assume that his hair is the source of his mojo.

No, every time someone posts a message on this forum Schafer sucks a little bit of creativity from that person. So in essence... ummm... arrggg... Tim beard... good

His mojo comes from that juice he makes.

See, I'm uncertain. I think it might be more a mojo supplement - to offset his sudden beardlessness.

His mojo comes from that juice he makes.

See, I'm uncertain. I think it might be more a mojo supplement - to offset his sudden beardlessness.

Maybe the secret ingredient to the juice is hairs from the beard he shaved off?

It's the circle of mojo.

I for one don't believe that he shaved it and any evidence to the contrary is an elaborate coverup.

I think that Tim's Beard removed itself from Tim's face to go on a quest at the order of Tim.

I'm sure Tim's Beard is out there somewhere, slaying demons of unimaginable horror, bedding with warrior women, and defeating evil wizards and necromancers bent on destroying this realm.

And one day Tim's Beard will return in triumph and honour. There will be songs, dancing and plenty of ale at the ready, with many tales for Tim's Beard to tell of the adventures.

I for one don't believe that he shaved it and any evidence to the contrary is an elaborate coverup.

I think that Tim's Beard removed itself from Tim's face to go on a quest at the order of Tim.

I'm sure Tim's Beard is out there somewhere, slaying demons of unimaginable horror, bedding with warrior women, and defeating evil wizards and necromancers bent on destroying this realm.

And one day Tim's Beard will return in triumph and honour. There will be songs, dancing and plenty of ale at the ready, with many tales for Tim's Beard to tell of the adventures.

It may be a bit naive - but I prefer to believe that you are correct. That The Beard is indeed having many grand adventures, and will one day return to Tim's face.

I heard from unnamed sources that Tim gets his mojo from all hairy regions on his body. Think about that for a while.

Smiles

After the last documentary episode, perhaps the soul patch is a source of mojo?

He appears to be moving back to the classic Schafer look of the 1990s. Read all about it in my new magazine, Schafer Quarterly.

It may be a bit naive - but I prefer to believe that you are correct. That The Beard is indeed having many grand adventures, and will one day return to Tim's face.

It's an action beard!

I'm pretty sure he stated that his mojo is in his Back Hair ;-)

So all is good I guess...

But seriously, he kinda does look like he is falling apart, I think Ron Gilbert secretly tore his soul out of his body by telling him his company ruined The cave just like hothead games ruined Deathspank, and if it wasn't for them the industry and fans would king him the grumpiest gamer of all and then he would reveal the secret of monkey island and all time and space would cease to exist as we know it, we would enter the "Gilbert Age". Sidenote, the "Broken Age" is really a jab at Ron Gilbert.

So, Ron slammed the door in Tim's face and said he's going to go kill himself by making iphone games and not share any of his game creating genius that he stole from all the young minds at Lucasfilm games with a special machine he had there.

No but really in all seriousness, why is Ron Gilbert so bored with modern games? Why did he leave doublefine and not want anything to do with Project Reds or BA as its called?

Two words, the, "Gilbert Age"

But seriously, he kinda does look like he is falling apart, I think Ron Gilbert secretly tore his soul out of his body by telling him his company ruined The cave just like hothead games ruined Deathspank, and if it wasn't for them the industry and fans would king him the grumpiest gamer of all and then he would reveal the secret of monkey island and all time and space would cease to exist as we know it, we would enter the "Gilbert Age". Sidenote, the "Broken Age" is really a jab at Ron Gilbert.

So, Ron slammed the door in Tim's face and said he's going to go kill himself by making iphone games and not share any of his game creating genius that he stole from all the young minds at Lucasfilm games with a special machine he had there.

No but really in all seriousness, why is Ron Gilbert so bored with modern games? Why did he leave doublefine and not want anything to do with Project Reds or BA as its called?

Can you please link me to where Ron said DF ruined The Cave?

Did Tim Schafer lose his mojo - after shaving off his beard? Are we absolutely sure that Tim Schafer hasn't been replaced by a race of Alien that is unable to produce a convincing beard!?

I actually lean toward the current Tim being the real Tim and having killed his doppleganger in an epic duel to the death. As Gene Roddenberry has taught us, alien dopplegangers are not only adept at growing facial hair, but quite fond of it.

Spock.jpg

Some of that sounds like sarcasm, and some of that sounds like things certain people would genuinely accuse DF of, so I'm not sure what to think of this post. If the entire post was sarcasm, then I applaud you for being so stealthy.

But just to be on the safe side, last I heard, Ron was happy with how The Cave turned out, and he left DF because he wanted to work on his own games that he owned. He didn't want to work on someone else's game (which is likely what would have happened if he stayed at DF) and he wants to own the rights to the games he creates.

Honestly, it was heavily coated with sarcasm, but the foundation of it was truth. Just like we will probably never know the true secret of monkey island, we will never know the true reason Ron left doublefine.

I was really excited at the beginning of kickstarter when it looked like Ron and Tim were back together in action and going to be working on the adventure game. Also Ron said he was working on the cave and another adventure like game, I think, or maybe it was just the cave, but it seemed like he was optimistic about his career in adventure games and doublefine.

But then, the cave came out, and gaming customers didn't quite get it, and it felt like we were getting none of Ron's input on Broken Age, it kinda felt like he didn't like the game, or there was no room in it or the company for him, it was the Tim show and Ron is grumpy and needs it to be the Ron show, which he deserves.

It just seems like Tim and Ron could single-handedly or double single-handedly, bring back adventure games. I was hoping a second kickstarter would be Ron's new game, instead of Massive Chalice, but obviously, I backed that game too, so I'm not complaining.

I guess I'm just hoping Ron or Tim reads this, and sheds some light and what went wrong, and why one of the best teams in adventure games history could not work under the same roof on new games, adventure games or any type. I mean if you think about it, the only games they worked on together were like 20 years ago. It's really strange to me that they didn't work one a new game. Some of my favorite games of all time were games they both worked on.

I personally think Ron is used to leading the show, and it felt awkward to try and work on a game when Tim is running the show, I think Tim needed to take the back seat and let Ron run a crew and really put effort in helping him, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and Ron had a lot of great input in double fine projects and it just made sense for him to leave. I just don't get it, I wish Tim or Ron would really clear it up. I mean why doesn't Ron want to make adventure games? The game pretty much invented them, maybe not invented, but surely, he was one of the designers that helped innovate them, probably more than any other single person.

Sorry about this rant, I really hope Tim and or Ron read this, they probably won't see please feel free to comment or pick apart anything I said, I'm really interested in what other people think, but please, base your opinion on some facts or basis in the history of double fine, Tim and Ron.

Kotaku has a nice article about the stories inside the game. I don't think there are really any spoilers, but read at your own risk of course. But it sounds like this guy digs Tim's mojo: http://kotaku.com/i-wish-all-video-games-had-premises-this-good-1304356071

Also,

I guess I'm just hoping Ron or Tim reads this, and sheds some light and what went wrong, and why one of the best teams in adventure games history could not work under the same roof on new games, adventure games or any type. I mean if you think about it, the only games they worked on together were like 20 years ago. It's really strange to me that they didn't work one a new game. Some of my favorite games of all time were games they both worked on.

I don't think anything went wrong. Sometimes it is just nice to work on your own ideas. And to own your own ideas. Life is all about gatherings and partings. :-)

Smiles

@oughtobe

Ron gave his input (as seen in the documentary), the many negative comments Ron had at the time on Broken Age are there to improve the game. It's quite understandable that at the early stage of development there would be many things to improve and he did take the time in order to give relevant feedback. He also promised to give feedback at a more mature stage and of course it just shows his point of view. If there were any problem between the two it's not reflected in any way here or actually anywhere I could see. I've only seen positive reactions from both Ron and DF staff.

Also what Smiles wrote is very true.

Sign in to follow this