Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oliverjudge

Anyone else use the docu-series as motivation?

So recently I had been in a creative slump and I started to watch the series from the beginning again and it really motivated me to just get out there and make something. The dynamic of the Double Fine team is something that I really admire and the little insight is really interesting to see how cool people make great things.

Anyone else had a similar experience with this project?

yes, totally. it got me motivated to work on game design. I got rpg maker and made a birthday surprise game for a friend of mine... she was in tears of joy walking around as herself, going on a little adventure interacting with pets and other real-life family and friends I re-created in the virtual world. I'm now learning ruby to extend the engine more (wow, I love ruby, super easy), and getting back into music and art creation for a slightly bigger next project

anyways, yea, a big thanks to this whole process, it has been a huge inspiration for me ^_^

Me too, when I hear all the discussion going on in those vids it kinda gives me a nudge to go back to my own stuff and keep working away.

Yeah, but I find that it's in an oddly social way. Like remember when Tim said that when they first started work on Brutal Legend that he thought to himself, "I hope that it's the kind of game that Jack Black would like"? It motivates me in that sort of way.

I mean, I've always liked Double Fine's work and been inspired by it in the sense that I would love to create art that is equally as good, writing that is equally as good, music that is equally as good, gameplay that is equally as good, anything equally as good. I've always liked the company's work and wanted to mimic it. In theory, the documentary was going to be about the game making process, so it would IN A SENSE show me some helpful tips for how I might do that.

But what actually happened was the documentary turned out to be about people. Whereas before Double Fine just had one face---a Tim Schafer face---Double Fine increasingly has all kinds of faces. While I don't KNOW know anyone who works at Double Fine, I at least know their faces, their personalities. I have some hints about what awes them, what makes them laugh, what kinds of games they love.

And so before where I would have thought, "I want to make a game that is like a Double Fine game"...

Now it's more like, "I hope this sequence would make Brad do the Brad smile." Or "I hope this joke would make Tim laugh." Or "I hope Jane would appreciate how I included a cat in this part." Actually, Dave just mentioned the same thing in the most recent sidequest---the way that he and Ray are always competing in the sense that they are always working hard to try and make something that will impress the other one. And what better kind of competition is there? That must be the happiest kind of competition there is. Everybody wins.

It's no longer a thing where I want to be as good as some game. It's now a thing where it feels like I want to make something that another person would like. It must be like how they felt in the old days when people still made christmas presents for each other? You know? Something like that.

I'm becoming reasonably confident in my abilities as a designer, for me what I need is the motivation to keep on going with a project when I know it'll take a long time because I have to fit it between work, my social life, making sure I remember to get a little exercise, some down-time and the fact I have a lot of interests competing for my attention.

Watching the documentary is motivating, but in the same way as above - I want to make something that people I like would enjoy, and I like the people at Double Fine and their approach. It's certainly made me go back to some of my adventure game ideas, start fleshing them out, and so I have one in pre-production now along side my definitely not adventure game that's in alpha and creeping towards beta. But my main motivator is working with a collaborator who is under similar constraints, and while we might not make the most efficient team, we remember to keep it enjoyable even over the course of a long time.

Yea, you hear alot from designers "I want to make a game that I enjoy to play" but the approach "I want to make a game my good friend would enjoy to play" can be more motivating, especially to the perfectionists among us, because even if it's not perfect and you can always see things that you'd like to improve or change, knowing that someone else you appreciate appreciates it for what it is is certainly something you can take pride in.

That being said, I tried hard to make a game my cat liked but she was never fully satisfied. She did like some of the music I made though (venetian snare-ish), so that's a start ^_^

I love both film and games so it has encouraged me in both aspects. Indirectly it motivated me by introducing me to Marius (the animatics intern, I think that's his name) who has inspired through his and his friend's 1GAM exploits.

The doc itself has been incredible, every new episode renews my faith in video games as a medium and makes me want to design a little bit more of my hobby game every time.

The doc also has the interesting side effect of making me unnaturally extroverted within the hours post-viewing, which is rather odd.

my hobby game

It's a Hardy Boys 3D platformer inspired by Psychonauts, am I right?

I walk out of every episode inspired, sometimes on multiple levels. It's absolutely one of the highlights of the month.

I work with (or around) these guys and gals every day - and I'm still super jazzed and inspired after watching each episode. It's really neat to see stuff like the music or foley recording happening - things I don't get to be part of. It's a monthly kick-in-the-pants to step it up and get better at stuff.

Also, the episodes themselves are a hugely inspiring piece of creative work. The actual filming, editing, music. It's pretty inspiring seeing how the 2PP guys take what we see as mundane everyday work stuff, and somehow turn it into a compelling story. It's also mostly invisible to us viewers - you don't get to the end of an episode and think "wow, the jump cuts in this were really well executed".

This project amongst others is one of my motivations I've been using to learn programming. Working mostly with Python right now.

Yes, absolutely!

The entire thing is motivational and inspirational to me. The discussions and snippets of work and sidequests and pretty much everything are really great to see. Honestly I don't know what exactly it is about the documentary that makes me want to get up and make stuff but it's simply amazing. I already had a ton of respect for Double Fine, but watching the documentary I'm finding them to be quite inspiring as well.

I also really enjoy the work by 2PP! I briefly pursued video editing at one point in my life, and even though I'm not really doing that anymore I still have a great appreciation for it and I love how the episodes are put together.

Definitely. I've garnered quite a few new writing/brainstorming/critical thinking techniques from watching them. I almost never want this game to come out so the documentaries keep going. Almost.

Yeah this series inspires the shit out of me. I've been working through college and internships for the past four years as a 3D Character and Technical Artist and just hearing that opening music with the two player productions intro always made me want to go out there and make my next best piece of work. Having been at work on games on a college level, the insight into the profession pipeline would always show me new ways of working that would help me to guide my team through the upcoming weeks or go back and rework some features of our game that weren't working. Watching this series and seeing Tim Shafer at work, with his writing exercises, character development and overall vision for his games, was always awe inspiring, he became like an idol to me. Through all of this I just grew a real love for Double Fine to the point where I am now trying to get a job there (I just recently sent a message to Tim and am eagerly waiting a reply!).

Aside from my love for Double I think that 2PP has been doing a great job with this documentary. Easily the best documentary I've ever seen.

Sign in to follow this