Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

Why do good Hardy Boys games not exist?

There's an abundance of Nancy Drew games; someone make some good, mature, Hardy Boys games damnit! I freaking loved those books a few years back!

Or someone make Hardy Boys mods of the Nancy Drew games. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much the same book series, only aimed at different genders. I used to love and read loads of those Hardy Boys books myself when I was a kid. That was more than a few years back though, and to be honest the books are extremely formulaic.

The formulaic structure to the books is probably why I liked them, I could figure out what was going to happen which was fun.

And I think the ND games are pretty much un-modifiable unfortunately.

Google tells me that both series were created by a dude called Edward Stratemeyer. So you're right, flesk.

I didn't realize both book series were so old. According to Wikipedia Hardy Boys was first published in 1927 and Nancy Drew in 1930. Edward Stratemeyer died in 1930, so he would never get to see the franchises becoming such huge successes or get to play The Curse of Blackmoor Manor. He probably didn't even own a computer with hard drive space.

Has there not been any Hardy Boy games at all? Whenever I got to Target I see lots of hidden object or murder mystery type games on the PC shelf. People must still be into that genre and buy boxed retail copies because there is always stock coming in for them. I thought I heard about a Nancy Drew game that came out not too long ago that actually turned out to be pretty decent.

Yeah the Nancy Drew games are great, but the Hardy Boys games (there's 3 in existence) suck badly. One's a crappy hidden object game, a third person collect-everything-you-see adventure and a DS game, which I can't actually say sucks because I don't have a DS.

Huh, seems odd that they wouldn't try to capitalize on the name and make some games. Was the Hardy Boy series just not as popular as Nancy Drew? It seems like those kind of novels go extremely well with that genre of gameplay.

That's what I thought too it's practically free money! I don't see why no one's jumping to the opportunity. A few of the Nancy Drew games had the Hardy Boys in it. One if I recall even had them playable for a period of time, which was good.

Co-op could even work now that I think about it.

Isn't Nancy Drew like a kid? That's pretty messed up that she can be killed in some gruesome ways in that game.

I always thought Harries the Spy was a misleading title. What kind of spy can a little kid be? Unless she's globe trotting with James Bond or working undercover in some foreign nation, she's not really much of a spy is she?

So she really does spy on people? But what kind of juicy info is she going to find spying on people in her neighborhood? Maybe they should re-boot the franchise for the modern world and make it all dark and gritty. Maybe her dad works in the NSA and she uses his tech to spy. Until she finds out her dad is really like some murdering psychopath. And her best friend who claims to want to blow things up ends up being her only ally. With zombies. I'd read something like that. Let's start our own mystery novel series.

Dude, if you can't see how Harriet the Spy riding a T-Rex into battle isn't true to the source material, then I don't know what to say to you.

Oh, the Game Overs get so much better with later installments. Why? Because the game snarks at you.

Get hit by a falling urn in The Phantom of Venice:

The Good News: Margherita never really liked that urn. The Bad News: You're still suffering from amnesia and have no idea who Margherita is.

Drop off the cliffs in The Haunting of Castle Malloy:

The Good News: Your lamp magically turned into a parasail and you floated down to the rocks below. The Bad News: Just kidding. It turned into an anvil made by ACME. Beep-beep!

Get mauled by a robotic cat in Shadow at the Water's Edge:

The News: You were mauled by a robotic cat. The Cable News Headline: Cat-astrophe! Could your toys be plotting against you?

Be drowned by a supposed ghost in the same game:

The Good News: You'll be forever remembered... The Bad News: ...as the inquisitive ghost who says "It's loooooooooocked."

And there are multiple lines for every Game Over. They're all golden.

I think that Harriet going on Time Traveling adventures and dealing with hard drug useage is quite true to the source material.Even though I've never read any of the books. I just feel that in my gut, Harriet would have wanted it this way. Why what kind of butchering have they done to the franchise so far?

lol, all those game overs sound like gold. Again it seems a bit morbid for them to deal with the deaths of a young child in a mystery game. But I suppose that's rather progressive of them in some ways. They are breaking down videogame conventions and opening new possibilities in accepted game deaths.

Oh, the Game Overs get so much better with later installments. Why? Because the game snarks at you.

Get hit by a falling urn in The Phantom of Venice:

The Good News: Margherita never really liked that urn. The Bad News: You're still suffering from amnesia and have no idea who Margherita is.

Drop off the cliffs in The Haunting of Castle Malloy:

The Good News: Your lamp magically turned into a parasail and you floated down to the rocks below. The Bad News: Just kidding. It turned into an anvil made by ACME. Beep-beep!

Get mauled by a robotic cat in Shadow at the Water's Edge:

The News: You were mauled by a robotic cat. The Cable News Headline: Cat-astrophe! Could your toys be plotting against you?

Be drowned by a supposed ghost in the same game:

The Good News: You'll be forever remembered... The Bad News: ...as the inquisitive ghost who says "It's loooooooooocked."

And there are multiple lines for every Game Over. They're all golden.

Reminds me of all those snarky death scenes in Space Quest or King's Quest. I've been watching LP's of both series, and they're still hysterical.

I kind of want video games based on Kate Beaton's interpretations of Nancy Drew book covers.

I'm mildly disappointed that no one commented on my WWE game video.

I've never watched wrestling, I dunno how much help I'd be.

It was a lame joke anyway. I was just referencing the fact that there was a tag team called the Hardy Boys back in the good old days when Kane wore a mask and didn't talk, and Mick Foley was the greatest wrestler in the world. That last one is still true, I guess.

Sign in to follow this