Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

The Wolf Among Us

It looks like its going to be a fun game, I like the concept of it too.

Not really. From what I've seen Fables is a very noir-ish series about fairy tale creatures living in a real world setting. It takes what could be a cheesy idea and makes it pretty cool.

Looks pretty interesting. Telltale seems to have found a winning formula and niche for story-driven games.

I like the art style here. Never read the comic it's based on, but Telltale earned enough of my respect with The Walking Dead to make me want to give it a try.

A videogame based on Fables is a great idea. Unfortunately it's one of the many graphic novel series that I've started and didn't really want to spend the money to get the entire series. But it is a great story. Very well executed, and the characters are translated very well from the stories they originate from into more believable and darker scenarios while maintaining their original traits.

There really isn't a whole lot of action in the first book though, I wonder if the game will cover more than just the first volume.

The art style looks cool. Telltale lost enough of my respect with BttF that I need to at least see what the gameplay is like before buying it. Might pick it up at a sale at some point.

To be fair, I only finished the first episode despite buying the whole season. The only decent puzzles in that episode was in the tutorial, but they were spoiled by a tutorial you couldn't turn off. I think TTG would have avoided a lot of backlash by communicating that this was the game made for Dave Grossman's mother-in-law in advance. TTG has become notoriously bad at communication as of late. Remember the licence to make a King's Quest game that they lost, but didn't bother informing anyone about until a year after the fact? I'm just butthurt by their marketing strategy I guess, and it's gonna take a lot of convincing to make me want to play one of their games again.

So I just played this. I digged it. It's the Gameplay from the Walking Dead, unsurprisingly, but it has a strong and different personality. Curious to see where it will go from here.

I find myself interested, but I probably won't buy it until I'm not angry anymore. And until I hear some reviews.

I'll buy it as soon as they pay me to play it.

I'm about halfway through it ATM. It's well made for what it is, and the story's definitely interesting, but I don't really enjoy the gameplay style, which is a bit of a letdown even though I knew it'd be like this. given the direction TTG's been taking. The branching story's nice and the different choices are interesting, but not enough to really grip me.

So in short - I think I'd personally enjoy this better as a movie. Take that as you will.

I bought it in order for having enough time to inspect the areas regarding the art especially the colours. It's kind of disappointing when thinking about that i always was interested in gfx which also look different than the gfx you normally where used to from the more typical computer games. You know, something where the in game gfx actually are looking like the cover art, especially when it's about comics, but now as we're a lot closer to that, the game design isn't what you once were hoping for anymore. An adventure where you need a little bit of your brain as well would be nice. TWOU at least offers a fresh style to look at.

Anyway, it's nice that they were listening to the feedback and are now offering a Steam key too, although they make it sound like that it's more kind of a bonus, at least for now, instead of being part of a standard offer and i still would like to see Steam keys for all the games i had bought via their site throughout the years.

If i find some time i'll watch a playthrough today and afterwards walk through the areas i'm interested in the most, well, once a Mac version will be available. Btw. 512 MB of gfx mem for the Mac platform is rather sportive.

What i found strange was that they didn't offer you a preview of the offer in the store which you needed to confirm. This page where all the data you've entered is summed up in order to check if everything is alright before you hit the confirm button. No idea if this was a mistake or that's the way it's supposed to be.

I'm pretty impressed by the First episode and I really enjoyed it.

It is better than TWD in almost every way as, the QTEs have more meaning and interactivity within them to make them something more than 'spam X than Y and if you fail you die' attitude of TWD, being a detective finding clues makes it feel more like an Adventure game and it is satisfying interrogating people with found items and I prefer the characters, art style, setting, impact of choices to TWD as well.

Also I liked that Prince Lawrence had Midtown Cowboys on his TV...

It is big improvement over TWD but there are only around 2 sections that feel like an Adventure game which mostly consist of looking around and finding and linking items...

And yes they do seem to be promoting the wreck that was the Forums...

Still a pretty strong start

Anyway, it's nice that they were listening to the feedback and are now offering a Steam key too, although they make it sound like that it's more kind of a bonus
It IS a bonus. Of sorts.

Basically it's an apology to people suffering from launch woes (since the Steam version went live ages before their own did, and there was the whole "accidentally let a unplayable build go live for 10 minutes" debacle...).

The reason they're not advertising it in the store is because... well, it's not the standard deal. You're not supposed to be getting both versions, just the TTG one.

@Darth Marsden

I know, but as i wrote i think they should add them generally, just like you're used to from the Humble Bundles. Do you know what kind of Mac issues they ran into more precisely?

Well someone on the Steam community wanted the bonus DVD weeks ago and I flat out told him he should preorder at TTG because the chance of them messing up and handing out Steam keys is very high.

Seems I was right.

Right about the handing out Steam keys you were. But they didn't mess up this time. They're just dealing with a crowd which can't STAND getting a game some mere hours later than anyone else. Throwing Steam keys at Telltale Store customers and money at Valve, that threatens the TTG store and sends the wrong message. The TTG Store version was up at the end of the Californian day, big whoop. Not worth a single one of those torches and pitchforks. In my humble opinion.

The Mac version - they did announce it with the PC/Windows version, and that probably is the actual mess up here. I believe they didn't finish programming the Mac version on time and that's that. It's probably out even before the PSN NA version, and definitely before the PS3 version hits Europe... :(

As for my TWaU review, I've written some lengthy thoughts elsewhere (in German), but here's a TL;DR. Great job on the story, seriously. They don't make the comic more intellectual than it actually is, a pitfall they certainly stepped into for The Walking Dead. Exposition is approached slowly - when they focus on a single character, they really like to introduce him/her properly, while the vast lore of the comics is teased through some kind of Fables encyclopedia.

The choice mechanics work so much better in the Fables setting: In the Walking Dead, every single decision had to be life or death and suggested that everything, absolutely everything depended on this one choice. The player necessarily saw through that utter sleight of hand immediately, because the consequences could not come close to the expectations the choices created in the player. Not so with TWaU. Smaller decisions mean more visible consequences, a far better balance. Also, they don't blow the "here comes a choice!" fanfare quite as hard as in TWD, meaning that the choices are more seamlessly interwoven with the story. Slowly building relationships with characters makes much more sense in TWaU than in the zombie apocalypse too, as they don't kill off those characters at a rate of half a dozen an episode...

QTEs are getting more complex, which I thought I'd like, but alas, it reminds me far too much of Jurassic Park.

I don't have that much to add to what y'all said about the level of interactivity experienced. I'm old school, and following in the footsteps of an investigator without actually doing the investigation myself, that's a wasted game design opportunity to me. And whereas The Walking Dead seemed visibly designed to not contain puzzles, The Wolf among Us appeared to me as if puzzles that definitely were there in the design stage were later cut out to better serve the TWD demographic. I don't think this is the game as originally conceived by Mike Stemmle two years ago. Especially in "Faith"'s library research scene, which I did like a lot otherwise, this lack of brain work was experienced as a definite void. That damn mirror was THERE for a proper rhyme puzzle. Those tarot cards were THERE for a bit of puzzeley teasing of the future. All those books were THERE for more than a simple 'click on the right character/symbol' kind of brain teaser. Those are not just opportunities for good puzzles, at least some of these things just plain have to be leftovers of what they originally wanted to do in the game.

Well someone on the Steam community wanted the bonus DVD weeks ago and I flat out told him he should preorder at TTG because the chance of them messing up and handing out Steam keys is very high.

Seems I was right.

Right about the handing out Steam keys you were. But they didn't mess up this time. They're just dealing with a crowd which can't STAND getting a game some mere hours later than anyone else. Throwing Steam keys at Telltale Store customers and money at Valve, that threatens the TTG store and sends the wrong message. In my humble opinion.

I know. That's what frustrates me about this. Aside from the accidental 10-minute early build cock-up, TTG has done no wrong, and they've still ended up giving out Steam keys just to shut everyone up.

It's shocking both how entitled people have become in this day and age, and just how poorly planned this launch was. If Telltale had just released the game themselves the day BEFORE it came out on Steam, there'd have been no problems whatsoever (aside from the servers being busy, of course), but nooo...

As for my thoughts on the game... I stand by what I said at the top of this page. As is, it works far better as a movie. If there'd been actual puzzles - as you suggest, there was plenty of opportunity for them - this would have been so much more enjoyable for me. But hey ho, whatever. We have what we have.

Oh, and having to replay the ENTIRE final chapter just to get that last entry in the Book of Fables / achievement was bulls**t, if only because I had to make myself do something I did NOT want to do just to get it.

I would NEVER have chosen to rip the guys arm off otherwise.

SO glad you could quit to the main menu as soon as the entry popped up and quit/reload before the choice saves.

Oh, and having to replay the ENTIRE final chapter just to get that last entry in the Book of Fables / achievement was bulls**t, if only because I had to make myself do something I did NOT want to do just to get it.

I would NEVER have chosen to rip the guys arm off otherwise.

SO glad you could quit to the main menu as soon as the entry popped up and quit/reload before the choice saves.

What the fuck is an achievement? ;)

(Seriously, I'm really glad the TTG store version of the game mostly left people alone with this kind of sorry ass instant gratification mechanism. I never clicked on the menu entry once.)

Ah, but it's not just achievements... you have the Book of Fables as well, glaring at you, half empty because you didn't get all the entries...

How will you sleep at night?

If you want to feel sad about missed opportunities in adventures then you just need to remember Brubaker's statement regarding the originally designed part of Brink in The DIG.

Ah, but it's not just achievements... you have the Book of Fables as well, glaring at you, half empty because you didn't get all the entries...

If I can rule out anything as the cause for my absurd cases of insomnia, it's the half empty 'Book of Fables'. ;)

If I can rule out anything as the cause for my absurd cases of insomnia, it's the half empty 'Book of Fables'. ;)

You MONSTER.

The one good thing that achievements do (if they're done right) is that they get you to do things that you wouldn't do in normal gameplay. The last entry in the episode 1 portion of the Book of Fables is quite gruesome.

Sign in to follow this