Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

The Wolf Among Us

VALVe ses no money from the keys. And that for several years now. Please stop spreading false information.

Sure, because Steam hosts games for free all the time. What is Valve, a charity? Would you tell me how that would pay off for their very VERY successful business?

Adding Steam Key support to the TTG store actually increases its attractiveness because the offers get more attractive (TTG key, common Steam key, option for the season DVD) whilst not hurting the Steam sales too much because usually the audience for such offers represents only a smaller percentage of the more typical Steam users, but for those who care it's a win.

@Darth Marsden

As for some info. I was less after insider info, although i would have read that as well, as more after some reasonable customer information which might be buried somewhere in the forum. Something like "Hey, we're sorry! We screwed this one up. The reasons are that we ... but we're working on the issues and expecting a release for you within the next three to seven days. We're aware that the game is offered for less already on the net and are also thinking about a compensation for you, stay tuned!

hey weenies this game wasn't really on my radar but it seems cool. should i buy it y/n?

Just watch it on youtube. Same experience.

Disagree entirely =P The very act of doing things yourself makes it different, even if what you are doing is limited. (This is a general video game thing, not just for Wolf)

And I found the stuff I was doing in Wolf to be not so limited in regards to choices? Talking to people and choosing what to say is interesting to me. Knowing that you liked Walking Dead, hot, you'd probably like this more.

I'll wait until a couple of episodes are out before I play it to see if the story is any good first. Walking Dead I knew the source material beforehand and knew I'd have enjoyed(or whatever you do with Walking Dead) it beforehand. I know nothing about Fables.

A complaint I've been hearing is that Bigby's voice "isn't what [the reviewer] imagined when [they] read Fables."

Which is something that a lot of people feel when they watch or play an adaption of a non-auditory medium that they've been exposing themselves to for however long Fables has been out (it's gotta be at least ten years, right?) It unfortunately can't be helped.

Why does no one like BttF? I thought it had a great story and some good casual gameplay.

Here's the problem with BttF. Back to the Future is my favourite film of all time. I LOVE it and I have great nostalgic memories of it. Adventure games I feel the same way about. I grew up with Monkey Island and Back to the Future.

Combining the two things ought to have been a no-brainer for me. But it wasn't. I played the whole thing out of a sense of obligation, but I didn't really enjoy very much of it. It was incredibly disappointing, and I think the reason is that it was at a stage where Telltale were struggling to find their voice.

They'd just about got the hang of old school adventures by the time the third (excellent) season of Sam and Max rolled around, but whenever they worked with a franchise more popular which they wanted to give a broader appeal to, it ended up as this sort of mushy middle ground thing that was neither story-compelling enough to please the casual audience or puzzle-satisfying enough to please the adventure gamers.

That's why I'm pleased that they found a new way with The Walking Dead, and now The Wolf Among Us. In both cases they've realised that you don't need to make a puzzle heavy game if you make the interesting part about the game be how characters react to you, a relationship that develops over several episodes, along with a few key decisions.

Sure, it's not the adventure games I grew up loving, but it works, and it feels like a much less conflicted way of doing things. I still love the puzzle type, but I think it's very exciting that Telltale have found a really compelling way of presenting story driven, episodic material.

I finished The Wolf Among Us the other night and I was mostly impressed with the sharp writing, and the very high standard of voice acting. I do wish they'd use some of their new found success to update that engine though. It looks GREAT, but it chugs and is choppy on consoles.

They make their users happy. If you remember back in the Day when HIB1 started there were no Steam keys. And after VALVe changed Steam key registration to: free for developers they added them.

What's the business model? Get more users on Steam and they WILL buy stuff there later.

I thought you'd at least provide an official link or anything. Because I still don't buy it. What might have worked well as a Steam boarding incentive for fans of a budding new indie dev pretty much is a bad idea for established studios such as Telltale games. Four years ago, OK. Post TWD, nah. But even IF your theory is 100% correct and free keys do lure new customers to Valve, my original comment that handing out those keys tantamounts to throwing money at Steam stands uncorrected, n'est-ce pas? ;)

But all right, all right, imma shut up.

Here's the problem with BttF. Back to the Future is my favourite film of all time. I LOVE it and I have great nostalgic memories of it. Adventure games I feel the same way about. I grew up with Monkey Island and Back to the Future.

Combining the two things ought to have been a no-brainer for me. But it wasn't. I played the whole thing out of a sense of obligation, but I didn't really enjoy very much of it. It was incredibly disappointing, and I think the reason is that it was at a stage where Telltale were struggling to find their voice.

Yeah... that really was the biggest disappointment because the expectations were astronomical. Favorite movie of all time plus then-favorite video game studio plus favorite game genre, wham, best game ever. Damn, the amount of fan art I made gearing up to the release. And then.. it just didn't hold up to the adventure standards Telltale'd set over the years. Getting over BTTF was really hard. Compared to present games, it was even puzzle intense! But the amount of cutscened exposition was so damn high that you just sat around doing nothing most of the time. *big sigh*

I'm convinced they're doing a second Season in 2015...

Fhqwhgads is right about the 'free keys for devs' thing. I remember someone (it might have been Greg?) Talking about it a while back in relation to Broken Age and how Steam would allow them to hand out free keys to backers for the game, but if the backers wanted it on iOS then they would have to buy it due to Apple's policies.

Fhqwhgads is right about the 'free keys for devs' thing. I remember someone (it might have been Greg?) Talking about it a while back in relation to Broken Age and how Steam would allow them to hand out free keys to backers for the game, but if the backers wanted it on iOS then they would have to buy it due to Apple's policies.

90,000 free keys is a high number already, but probably linked to the eventual percentage DF gets from Broken Age sales, especially now that the first half is a rotten Steam exclusive. I cannot but assume Valve made a good deal here, although it soothes me that this at least means that no part of my backer money goes go to Valve directly. It speaks for Ketzer's theory (sorry man, I really won't adapt the new name) that these keys are given so readily from Telltale to customers although next to no fuckup has actually occurred on their side. But as no real evidence can be found for either side of the argument, and any real confirmation of this practice dates back to the beginnings of the Steam platform, I'll assume that times have changed and Valve drew in the reins far more in the last year, resting in the sound knowledge of their invulnerable market position.

Yeah... that really was the biggest disappointment because the expectations were astronomical. Favorite movie of all time plus then-favorite video game studio plus favorite game genre, wham, best game ever. Damn, the amount of fan art I made gearing up to the release. And then.. it just didn't hold up to the adventure standards Telltale'd set over the years. Getting over BTTF was really hard. Compared to present games, it was even puzzle intense! But the amount of cutscened exposition was so damn high that you just sat around doing nothing most of the time. *big sigh*

What makes you think so? Was it particularly successful?

Anyway, my whole thing is that actually, if they ditched the puzzle-game facade, they could make a great episodic BTTF series in the style of The Walking Dead/The Wolf Among Us.

I'd love that. It'd obviously be a much more lighthearted thing, but I can imagine them shifting the decision making focus to be about how you want to change history, and that having some subtle consequences for how the story turns out.

And skateboard-chase sequences clearly have potential for the action scenes that I actually find moderately entertaining in TWD/TWAU

I think there's just no need for puzzles in a BTTF adventure. In the films he just bumbled from one misadventure to the next, doing very little investigation. Any that he did inevitably ended up going wrong (like trying to investigate Biff's movements in BTTF2).

So, my wishlist for season 2 would be:

More like Telltale's latter games.

Much, much better writing/choice of actor for Biff

Cooool time travel consequences

... but I just don't see it happenin'.

Just finished episode 1, I really liked it.

At the end I realized my choices have been the least popular ones, good to know.

now that the first half is a rotten Steam exclusive. I cannot but assume Valve made a good deal here, although it soothes me that this at least means that no part of my backer money goes go to Valve directly.

...how does it being on Steam early access have anything to do with "Valve making a good deal"? It's going to be on there because they need funds, not because of some backroom exclusivity deal. It's also the easiest way for them to continually push updates and patches until the game is fully finished.

There's no point releasing the DRM free version when it's not even close to finished yet, because then they'd be forced to constantly release new builds and deal with tons of people complaining about bugs that the newest released build has already fixed. With Early Access they just quick pop the new build on Steam and it auto-distributes, so they completely avoid being flooded with complaints about things they've already dealt with.

I know you don't like Steam, but in this application, it's the only thing that makes a reasonable amount of sense given their needs.

There's no point releasing the DRM free version when it's not even close to finished yet, because then they'd be forced to constantly release new builds and deal with tons of people complaining about bugs that the newest released build has already fixed.

You describe the meaning of Steam Early Access aptly (i.e. let customers pay for beta testing), but not Broken Age part one.

Which, as Tim has said explicitly, will be released "finished and polished".

You describe the meaning of Steam Early Access aptly (i.e. let customers pay for beta testing), but not Broken Age part one.

Which, as Tim has said explicitly, will be released "finished and polished".

Even if that's true and it does release with absolutely no bugs or updates required, it's not like Valve is going to pay them for timed exclusivity. That makes no sense.

Even if that's true and it does release with absolutely no bugs or updates required, it's not like Valve is going to pay them for timed exclusivity. That makes no sense.

You're right, absolutely, that is not the nature of Valve's contracts. The exclusivity is completely coincidental. Yet by no means less lucrative.

What makes you think so? Was it particularly successful?

Yes, but that's not the reason. I just think it would be a rather fitting year. ;)

Anyway, my whole thing is that actually, if they ditched the puzzle-game facade, they could make a great episodic BTTF series in the style of The Walking Dead/The Wolf Among Us.

Well, it would get a big sad from me. :(

Much, much better writing/choice of actor for Biff

Thomas F. Wilson won't do it, and I knew that even before I read his memoir "The Masked Man"...

hey weenies this game wasn't really on my radar but it seems cool. should i buy it y/n?

Just watch it on youtube. Same experience.

Disagree entirely =P The very act of doing things yourself makes it different, even if what you are doing is limited. (This is a general video game thing, not just for Wolf)

And I found the stuff I was doing in Wolf to be not so limited in regards to choices? Talking to people and choosing what to say is interesting to me. Knowing that you liked Walking Dead, hot, you'd probably like this more.

thanks, I might get it

I have to say I quite enjoyed it. I also feel sorry for the people who think you'd get the same experience watching it on Youtube. Is the story still going in a predefined direction no matter what? Yes but there's still a lot of room for variation in-between. Especially this time around if the dev interviews can be trusted. They've said that your decisions are going to matter more this time around than for TWD.

When I'm playing the game, I'm making decisions, I have control over what the main character is doing and it's far more absorbing than watching a video of it. Nor is it the same experience every time either. I've played it all the way through twice now and there were some pretty big differences between the two playthroughs.

The biggest and most unexpected being a part where I had to examine a room for clues to try and drag the truth out of someone. The first time I played I thought I had exhausted all my options and was only left with roughing up the character. I did so and hated myself for it and everyone else hated me for it too. Second time around, it turns out there were more clues I had missed the first time and the whole thing went down a lot more amicably. Now I have to live with the fact that I scared a child needlessly on my main save. You can't get that kind of experience from watching someone else play.

On a final note, if you were able to play all the way through TWD without forming any kind of connection with Clementine there's something broken inside you.

On a final note, if you were able to play all the way through TWD without forming any kind of connection with Clementine there's something broken inside you.

Oh I know that already. I'm completely broken inside. Thank god she's dead.

Thanks for the spoiler man.

Oh I know that already. I'm completely broken inside. Thank god she's dead.

Thanks for the spoiler man.

He's joking. It's been confirmed she's coming back for Season 2.

Four days later and without any warning or some information, a Mac version materialised in the download section, hope it's not accidentally there, again.

I don't have the time to play the game right now, this would have been nice on the weekend, but from watching the playthrough already and walking around a bit in the game, the art looks very good. I like the atmopshere of the game. It lacks more investigations which you're doing on your own, which involve this thing called thinking. The game seems to work on 256MB VRAM machines as well (which is a lot more reasonable considering today's Mac world). It once crashed whilst loading a new scene. It also has its issues with swapping the screen resolutions properly.

The Xbox 360 controller is supported nicely, all the buttons and axis are mapped properly, do you hear that DF (thinking of The Cave)?! From the little bit i've played, i'm unsure if it wouldn't be better if the right thumb inspection thing would kind of follow the character instead of standing still, so that you don't have to pull it all along the way from where it once was to the new place you want it to be. The confuse-the-player-in-action-scenes-with-different-types-of-inputs is, well, it would be okay if there also would be more reasonable things to do outside the action thing. They also use many buttons, to me it feels like they're using too much and this could be reduced. The steering in the game and selections aren't perfectly thought through. For instance why can't you just scroll through the text areas with both thumb sticks instead of just one?!

For these detective kind of investigations the limited time for your answers doesn't work as well as in TWD. It often feels misplaced being forced to answer when you're standing around more relaxed, looking at a scene, at the the character and want to imagine what an answer could mean, the pressure to answer within a given time destroys this moment and is annoying. Wouldn't it be more interesting instead if the waiting also could change their behaviours, like you're staring into their eyes of a woman or looking around and getting some inspriration from the surrounding during this conversation and this changes her/your behaviour and so offers you more/different options to ask for/talk about?! ...

Anyway, i guess there are situations where this pressure makes sense but they didn't care to design/balance this mechanic properly to its full potential and suiting the situations in the game, at least according to material i've seen so far. I think if you're buying this game you're doing it primary for the art and the atmosphere.

Yeah, the sudden appearance of the Mac version is a massive surprise.

TTG really haven't been very good at letting people know what's been going on - they weren't with TWD, and they aren't now. It's left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and I can't say I blame people for getting upset.

It's not been great from a mod's perspective - though I dare say Vain will have a bit more to say about it that I.

I didn't follow the TWD release too closely, actually TWOU is the first TTG product i bought since quite some time (years) but yeah i can see that such situations also aren't comfortable for the mods.

It's such a shame. What a beautiful game but the game mechanics feel so wrong. The action parts are so unenjoyable and stupid. I don't know what's going on in the minds of those who think this should be fun. The interactions with the characters are screwed up through the time limits, the writing sometimes is good, sometimes it's not. The rest mostly is clicking on everything which is available one after another, there is nothing to think about.

What a waste. This could have been such a great game. It was more fun to watch it as a playthrough. The game's only relevance is to enjoy the wonderful colours when you're in control. So awesome, sad and almost frustrating at the same time.

Despite that you can't do more reasonable investigations on your own, a number of gamers are speculating about how the story goes on, who the killer(s) could be, what their motivations might be etc. Somehow on a meta-level it's the only thing left to do.

Anyway i was talking with a friend about this and i think it's hard to say.

You have no idea if the story is finished already or if this is more a feedback driven process where the writers let themselves being influenced/inspired, f.i. for the last or the two last episodes, by the so far expressed feedback and suspicions.

You don't know how serious they're taking the writing. It could be a solid script where everything makes sense throughout the story and in the end with a few maybe unsuspected clever twists and turns in between but following a logical central theme. It also could be more kind of a rollercoaster where they try to manipulate you thinking into different directions by weird character behaviours and more artificial set up scenes (thinking of the rather clumsy scene at Mr. Toad's place).

You have no idea how many characters they'll intend to introduce. I'm not an expert on Fables, which i see a plus for the game, but they have tons of options with weird characters and constructing just every background story to bend things right as needed in the end, which you can't forsee.

Obviously when you were watching more closely they presented you a number of candidates already who should draw your attention (this red haired shepard, ...), offered some inconsistencies (Grendel's eye, ...) and noticeable things which are asking for questions you should direct at characters (Faith, mirror, Snow,...) but which you sadly can't due to the limited railed nature of the game there are no options to more investigations.

Again, it could all make sense but it also just could be smoke and mirrors, some cheap red herrings or budget related reuses/glitches.

One person for some strange reason no one brought up so far is Bigby on his own. It's surprising how secure the player's character seems to be although you could come up with a number of issues as well. He could have a violent backstory, amnesia, being misused by someone else, ... Why weren't his knuckles bloody after the fight with Woody but when he arrived at home or even before when he met Beauty? Colin draw your attention towards this as well. His cigarette brand was in the fridge as well as the trash can (almost the chinese food). Faith's ribbon could remind you of the green ribbon story but the colour purple a.o. also can stand for Lupus (latin, wolf), he has very sharp claws and so on and so on.

You could do this for a number of characters in the game and this would be a lot of fun if you could do investigations on your own and rely on/trust TTG that they took the writing serious instead of maybe just bending things together at some point as they please. The only thing which remains strange to a certain degree regardless of how it's done is that this, as far as i know, is a prequel to the comics, so, that you know that certain characters will return, no matter what happens here.

Dunno, i'm unsure if it's worth giving it a shot. Often these things aren't worth the thoughts and time people invest into them. If TTG does this right, then it could be a real win but so far their track record in writing isn't the best. Video games generally have a hard standing here and need to regain lost ground compared to other media.

If TTG does this right, then it could be a real win but so far their track record in writing isn't the best. Video games generally, have a hard standing here and need to regain lost ground to other media.

I always thought that writing was one of the areas where Telltale's games have always excelled. With the exception of the mobster disguise in Back to the Future: The Game (which was really more of an art problem than a writing problem, as the scene would have worked without changing a line of dialog if they just tweaked the Marty model so that it appeared he had makeup on rather than just a mustache for the facial part of his disguise), I have always enjoyed the stories in Telltale's games.

I think their writing varies, in a few (especially older) episodes it was great, the majority isn't great nor bad and some are just plain stupid. What i'm lacking so far (based on the majority of TTG's games i've played/watched) is the confidence that they took this serious from A to Z so that it makes sense for the player thinking things through and paying attention to details. You know like when you're reading a book from a quality crime author who draws his plot carefully and chooses his words wisely without screwing with you.

Haven't played it yet. I'm going to assume that the story is already finished or at least mostly finished since this is supposed to be a canon prequel to the comics.

Sign in to follow this