Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

AHH IT'S SO AWESOME! The changes to the hill that the girl sits on look incredible with the pink sky, extra atmosphere effects like the smoke and fog and all the little details in there. The music was perfect. The score created a connection with the visuals that I rarely experience, similar to Swords and Sorcery, just awesome. Don't worry about the bad press either. Their just doing what they do best, taking a quote out of context and making up a fictional story based around it. The way I see it Broken Age is just getting its name out there more and more through all this press and so more people are going to hear about the inevitable success of it once it releases. The game looks damn good, the music sounds incredible and I can't wait to play this game. Awesome episode as always guys.

Quote of the day goes to "Let's just make the game great, get it out there, and then track them all down individually and kill them."

Greg Rice is merely a metaphor for the project's scope.

Hahah well put. Over scoping is the name of the game when it comes to making video games.

Great episode you guys, keep it up. The game is looking better and better each time we get one of these and I am super stoked for January!

Greg Rice is merely a metaphor for the project's scope.

Hahah well put. Over scoping is the name of the game when it comes to making video games.

Yeah that's why Greg Rice has the perfect length.

Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the confusion, I totally should have introduced myself! I'm the producer on MASSIVE CHALICE. As some of you noticed on my LinkedIn profile I've done a lot of programming. I'd love to get in there and do some coding on the game but I don't know if our lead engineer, Chad Dawson will let me. ;)

Every now and then we have to cover for each other here at DF, so I posted this last update for Broken Age while Chris, Greg and the gang were out at PAX.

Thanks for supporting Double Fine and see you guys around!

- Anthony Vaughn

In all the standups, people seem to be talking about what they did in the past week and what they will do in the next week. Do devs at DF only have one scrum a week?

p.s. I always title my scrum notes as 'scrumm vm' at work.

p.p.s. A friend of mine titles his 'scrum dumpster'

Every time I watch one of these videos it just makes me more and more excited about the game. It looks so amazing, sounds so amazing, and just has so much more meaning behind it than just the game itself. I hope I'm not in the minority when I say keep going strong and you have my support all the way. I wish I could quit my job and come help you all out...maybe I'll dress up like a rock star and show up on the doorstep with a pad of paper.

In all the standups, people seem to be talking about what they did in the past week and what they will do in the next week. Do devs at DF only have one scrum a week?

p.s. I always title my scrum notes as 'scrumm vm' at work.

p.p.s. A friend of mine titles his 'scrum dumpster'

It differs between projects and between phases. I think Broken Age has been at one standup per week for a couple months now, whereas other projects (especially ones earlier in production) have daily standups.

I love these documentaries giving a real insight into game development, for me it's worth the backers money alone. I Agree with Tim that length and story arc is important... Even if that means cutting up the game into multiple parts as they do in Telltale games. I think cutting up the game is fine providing assurances are made that it all gets made... Also offering all parts free to larger game backers with smaller backers only getting the first part free (I fall in the smaller backer part and would be fine with this).... One thing though I don't think having famous people doing voices is sensible way of spending the money (unless they do it mega favor cheap)...cameos of previous Lucas Arts would be cool..I would love to hear Richard Sanders (Bernard) Denny Delk (Hoagie) and Jane Jacobs (Laverne) from Day of the Tentacle again. But to be honest some of the in house staff doing the voices sounded really good and I would rather money going on extra gaming content than extra polish....

Actually that is one thing that really struck me in watching this episode that is systematic with what I feel a lot of game developers get wrong... So much time is spent on unnecessary bumf such as ooh look at the cool reflection techniques..or transporter effects and not concentrating on what really makes a game great which is the actual game-play... Look at any hugely popular games of recent times... such as Mine Craft, Angry birds, cut the rope, Candy Crunch or even TellTales adventures they didn't get caught up on perfection but on the game-play its self... For adventure games graphics isn't that important.. you just need it to look believable with everything that looks like it should interact is intractable... Then you need the most important stuff which is Dialogue and Good Puzzles.... Everything else is nice to have but not at the expense of core the game-play, which to be honest sounds like is happening...

Also a good way to extend a games life with relatively little effort is to make hidden things collectable in the game... Have tiny cute furry little "Bugz" (game glitches) that are hidden around the game and have an Animal Crossing museum like building where you can see them all stored with a little information about each... You could also do fish or even little cartoon members of the team (and other game developers) which can be collected up and stored in a little zoo .. its of course important like a sticker book to know you are missing some and how many are left to collect... You can then also stick in simple side quests by NPC's or areas only accessible until you find a shrink ray gun or beansalk like beans. All this will compel gamers to replay and explore your worlds and get so much more from your games.

I really hope for success for this game as I would love to see Double Fine reuse its engine and make more adventure game video games..who knows with Lucas Arts recent demise Day of the Tentacle 2 and Grim Fandango 2 could be a possibility?

As for keeping financially afloat as a lover of Retro games (my channel http://www.youtube.com/thedrisk attempts to chart video games history) I think there are a wealth of games out there that I think would be relatively easy to create but be good little earners for you and well suited to the new world of gaming...

Obviously you would need to adapt the games to be different enough to be original. But I think these games would mostly work very well with touch screens and I personally think would be good little money earners for whomever were to update them.

1. Pieces by Atlas on the SNES

2. Shufflepuck Cafe by Broderbund on the Amiga

3. Puzzli by Banpresto in the Arcades

4. Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure on the Gameboy

5. Jack the Nipper by Gremlin on he Spectrum.

6. Hexion by Konami in the Arcades

7. Antago by The Art of Dreams on the Amiga.

8. 180 by MAD on the Spectrum.

9. Why is there no decent Advance Wars clones on tablets?

10. Barcode Battler a handheld device released by Epoch in 1991... With most phones able to scan in bar codes now.. you could use this to create your own hero... so the modern equivalent would be skylander or Disney Infinity... and kids again can go frantically around scanning in household items to find barcodes that create the best hero. There is definitely huge scope with this one.

Anyway all the best and keep up the good work

I have just tweeted about it. Watching these documentaries is great. Currently I read Jordan Mechner's ebook about the making of prince of persia and what happens along the making of Broken Age has quite a few similarities including the part in this video where the question is whether to bring in a second writer.

I wish Tim would find the time to write about this project later on and even make an audio book. I am sure this would be a hit.

I'm also getting the "Aw snap this video can't be played with your current setup" message, in the same Chrome session that I just watched the previous Sidequest in. Sorry if this has been covered already, but I don't want to scour 13 pages and there's no mention of it edited into the first post- is there a solution other than "try IE"? I'd really rather watch it in Chrome!

Thanks!

There was this answer from Greg:

Still broken on my end I have tried 3 OS and 4 different browsers as well as a different internet connection!

Bummer

I hope it is fix soon

I posted about the same problemm here and at the Kickstarter updates. Please respond, 2PlayerProductions...?

Hey guys, sorry we're all out at PAX and haven't been able to get to a computer to look into this. We'll do so when we're back tomorrow!

Tomorrow was yesterday (good name for a Time Gentlemen, Please! sequel?) though, so it doesn't look like they were able to fix it yet.

Other than that; try Firefox? ;)

Thanks Flesk. I guess as there's radio silence I'll have to give another browser a shot and hope I can remember my forum password!

PS That title isn't a bad enough pun.

EDIT: IE and Firefox have the exact same problem, though they both play Look, The Clocks fine. No one found any other methods to fix the video? Someone was talking about direct Vimeo links earlier. Anyone at DF or 2PP taken a look at this yet? Thanks!

Thanks Flesk. I guess as there's radio silence I'll have to give another browser a shot and hope I can remember my forum password!

PS That title isn't a bad enough pun.

EDIT: IE and Firefox have the exact same problem, though they both play Look, The Clocks fine. No one found any other methods to fix the video? Someone was talking about direct Vimeo links earlier. Anyone at DF or 2PP taken a look at this yet? Thanks!

Are you accessing the website via http or https? I just tried http using Firefox and it works fine, but https cannot play the video.

HTTPS Everywhere added a rule to the website, but not only does it screw up the layout, it also doesn't allow access to the vimeo videos, probably because they are not streamed using a secure connection or the referrer doesn't work for https.

Edit: oddly the sidequest work for https, so it fits your problem description.

I've just tried to type out the address with http:// at the start in FF but it makes no difference (I also turned off autofill and told it to forget about the site). It always hides the http(s) though, so I don't know if it's switching at some point. I occasionally get it to the point where if I click on it either nothing happens or the bar looks as if it's buffering, but then nothing further happens. IE shows me the http but still doesn't work.

Is there something extra I need to do?

Then you are not using https.

From what I can tell for some reason vimeo of this video is html5 while the sidequest is flash.

One option I see is to disable html5 for your browser, maybe that will force it to use flash.

Just another quick thing you should check before changing that setting, sometimes I had to click the video blank area after pressing play and only then it would start. This was not always the case (sometimes it just worked), but worth a shot.

Great episode!

Even though we are still a ways away I still feel like things are getting to beginning of the end phase.

Gutted to think there is a world where I do not have game updates to look forward to.

I hope Tim does double down on transparency so that his game development career is like a show on the internet that only he can cancel.

I brought up the video playback issue with Paul from 2PP and he says they have no way to force Flash over HTML5 through Vimeo. As TimeGentlemen pointed out, individual users can disable HTML5 in Firefox:

http://www.trishtech.com/internet/disable_html5_media_in_firefox.php

And as usual, those with playback problems should also try disabling any ad blocking software and/or loading the page in another browser. Beyond that there's unfortunately not much we can do.

Good luck!

Tried that still don't work for me on 2 difference OS

So what now!!!

Edit: Make that 3 OS now and 4 diff browsers and 2 different internet connection with html5 disable!!!

You guys are going to have to do better then can help!

This is now more than 4 days I have been trying to get this working FIX IT it works for all the others!

I brought up the video playback issue with Paul from 2PP and he says they have no way to force Flash over HTML5 through Vimeo. As TimeGentlemen pointed out, individual users can disable HTML5 in Firefox:

And as usual, those with playback problems should also try disabling any ad blocking software and/or loading the page in another browser. Beyond that there's unfortunately not much we can do.

Good luck!

So what now!!!

Edit: Make that 3 OS now and 4 diff browsers and 2 different internet connection with html5 disable!!!

This is now more than 4 days I have been trying to get this working FIX IT it works for all the others!

Geez, what's up with the hostility? Chris just came into the topic and said there's not much they can do on their side to fix the problem. It's Vimeo. Show Vimeo your hostility. I bet all future videos will have the same problem.

Wow TrueStoryGuy... are you really the great Tim Schafer himself? Or are you just using his picture? If it is you then that is so cool that you actually bother to spend the time to read the forums. I wonder if you read this if you could spend the time reading my last post a few above... particularly where I give 10 old games that are well suited to mobile phones and tablets... I am only raising them to DF simply as I would hate to see a company like yourself ever go under (especially after watching the videos where I feel I know the whole team)... Anyway I think there is a lot of possibility with those games to make them again and make relatively easy money.

So what now!!!

Geez, what's up with the hostility? Chris just came into the topic and said there's not much they can do on their side to fix the problem. It's Vimeo. Show Vimeo your hostility. I bet all future videos will have the same problem.

Lincolnep - it would be better to describe what you are experiencing other than "it doesn't work" with exclamation points. I sent the html5 option only after realizing a difference between this and the sidequest which happened to be in flash. This was only possible since TimeGentleman described one has worked and the other hasn't. Also, it took a bit back and forth as you can see in the communication. So what have you tried and are you able to view any of the videos? What do you get when you hit 'play' for this video? Try to be more descriptive and maybe someone here will have a direction to assist.

Side note: the suggestion that TrueStoryGuy is Tim Schafer is hilarious. But who knows, maybe like Henry V, Schafer disguised himself as one of the backers.

Good luck!

There's one thing you can try and that is to use the old vimeo API for the forum 'vimeo' tag. I know vimeo states it is deprecated, but vimeo themselves are using it when the browser does not support html5 and they still need to support websites that have embedded videos using this code. Hopefully by the time the API stops working they will fix their html5 video player bugs, but that could be many months.

If it works, you could make it optional, for example, in the user preferences.

Would uploading to youtube work?

In youtube it's easier to share the video by just providing the link so 2PP won't want to use that (remember the intent is to sell the documentary after it's complete).

Would uploading to youtube work?

Unfortunately YouTube doesn't offer the same site-based privacy Vimeo does; we wouldn't have any real way to keep the videos backers-only on YouTube.

Good luck!

There's one thing you can try and that is to use the old vimeo API for the forum 'vimeo' tag. I know vimeo states it is deprecated, but vimeo themselves are using it when the browser does not support html5 and they still need to support websites that have embedded videos using this code. Hopefully by the time the API stops working they will fix their html5 video player bugs, but that could be many months.

If it works, you could make it optional, for example, in the user preferences.

That's a good idea! I'll start rooting around in the forum PHP when I get a moment.

Sign in to follow this