Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

Okay guys, I'm now forcing the site to load the old Flash-only Vimeo player. If you were having problems previously, please post an update on your current status.

I couldn't see why anyone would be upset for this team making certain decisions on getting the game out to fans... I say do what you have to, as long as the cameras are set to record, and I'm part of it, you have my wholesome support. Anything I see from DoubleFine just makes me want to start creating things...

No video showing up on iPad / iPhone etc.

That's because there is no flash support on iPhone/iPad so it won't work on these platforms until Chris makes it optional or adds code that detects the user agent (but detecting and generating different code per type may be an overkill in my opinion). I'm assuming he'll leave this code for a few days to get feedback and then work out this part.

Temporary solution for Kickstarter backers who would like to view this on their mobile device: go to the kickstarter update, that video should still play.

Slacker Backers will have to wait for the permanent solution or watch on a different device.

Okay guys, I'm now forcing the site to load the old Flash-only Vimeo player. If you were having problems previously, please post an update on your current status.

Hi Chris, that fixed it my end - now works in Chrome with no jiggerypokery as per all previous vids. Thanks!

PS - Baboo.

Temporary solution for Kickstarter backers who would like to view this on their mobile device: go to the kickstarter update, that video should still play.

Slacker Backers will have to wait for the permanent solution or watch on a different device.

Thanks for this! My wife and I watch the DFA episodes via iPad -> Apple TV, and were having a tough time figuring out why this one wasn't working. I'll play the video from Kickstarter for now, but it'd be great if this could be fixed for mobile devices in the future.

- David

Sweet thanks!

Sorry about the mobile problems, guys–yeah, as gsm stated, many mobile devices do not feature Flash support so this change does indeed bork mobile playback.

One thing I could look into is checking for a mobile user agent and then displaying the HTML5 version of the player, and otherwise displaying Flash. This is sort of complicated because of the weird way the forums are built, as a collection of CMS software and plugins and custom PHP, but I will look into it when I have some time.

Ideally Vimeo would just fix their privacy controls and this would all be fine!!

Sorry about the mobile problems, guys–yeah, as gsm stated, many mobile devices do not feature Flash support so this change does indeed bork mobile playback.

One thing I could look into is checking for a mobile user agent and then displaying the HTML5 version of the player, and otherwise displaying Flash. This is sort of complicated because of the weird way the forums are built, as a collection of CMS software and plugins and custom PHP, but I will look into it when I have some time.

Ideally Vimeo would just fix their privacy controls and this would all be fine!!

(@gsm kindly redirected me here from this thread.)

+1 for mobile detection :-)

Thanks!

p.s. could a temporary compromise of Flash in "DISCUSS ON THE FORUM" and HTML5 in "READ ON THE SITE" be viable?

Thanks

Thank You So much Chris it is working great for me now!

Sorry if I came across Rude.

Thanks One very happy.

Lincoln

Great ep! The story, programming, art, music, and now even voices all seem to be coming together beautifully! Not that the real fans ever had any doubt. The Escapist and other poorly reporting media outlets can suck it. Things are going great and Broken Age is going to be the next Grim Fandango!

Ok, let me rephrase- it's going to be the next Grim Fandango and profitable keeping DF in business so they can continue making innovative fun games! Whereas no one can predict what the sales will be, everyone knows there are limitations to the Adventure Game market.

And that's really the whole point: yes, the Adventure Gaming community is smaller than the big blockbuster action video gaming community, but so what? This Kickstarter was to prove that enough fans are willing to pay more for a well written, artistically crafted adventure game and show there is still a profitable market in making them. Both Grim Fandango and Psychonauts did prove to be profitable over time (earning more than the total cost of its production and release) and are two of the most memorable "adventure/story based" games in history.

We all know there will always be those detestable forces wanting to say "I told you so" no matter how well Broken Age does. If profits are small, they will claim it is a failure. If profits are big, they will say- we were expecting bigger. This game is not for them. It's for those contributors who just want to play a Double Fine crafted game.

Great. That's why I couldn't view any videos on my ipad.

Tips for people: Videos seem to work just fine on the Kickstarter website. If you're having trouble viewing them here, then going there seems like a good solution.

This is VERY easy to do, btw.

Anyways, regarding the documentary: Loved the episode! Especially enjoyed having a little Peter McConnell side quest at the end.

It's great seeing the game finally come to life. What a struggle making a video game is!

A catch-all mobile user agent check isn't necessarily very easy, if that's what you're talking about. There's a reason projects like WURFL exists. There are thousands of different user agents depending on device OS, browser vendor and version, and though many of them contain the string "Mobile", not all of them do. It's also very common to use a desktop user agent on mobile devices to get proper versions of sites with awful mobile versions of sites. I pretty much always do that, since I have a big enough screen resolution to comfortably do that.

Another technique that's pretty common these days, and that's often used in combination with user agent checks, is to check for viewport size and display content based on that. It requires that the viewport meta tag is added to the site, but that's easy enough to implement here, since DF probably controls the content on the site, and the headers are probably contained within one or a limited number of header templates.

There are problems with the latter technique too though. There's bound to be some overlap in screen resolutions between large tablets and small notebooks. Still, it's not impossible to make fairly good assumptions based on a combination of both techniques. Either way it's a lot of work for a solution that really should have been fixed on Vimeo's end.

Works fine for me now. Thanks! :)

I was finally able to watch the new episode on my iPad via the Kickstarter update and it was definitely a good one. Just keep them coming more regularly!

A catch-all mobile user agent check isn't necessarily very easy, if that's what you're talking about. There's a reason projects like WURFL exists. There are thousands of different user agents depending on device OS, browser vendor and version, and though many of them contain the string "Mobile", not all of them do. It's also very common to use a desktop user agent on mobile devices to get proper versions of sites with awful mobile versions of sites. I pretty much always do that, since I have a big enough screen resolution to comfortably do that.

Another technique that's pretty common these days, and that's often used in combination with user agent checks, is to check for viewport size and display content based on that. It requires that the viewport meta tag is added to the site, but that's easy enough to implement here, since DF probably controls the content on the site, and the headers are probably contained within one or a limited number of header templates.

There are problems with the latter technique too though. There's bound to be some overlap in screen resolutions between large tablets and small notebooks. Still, it's not impossible to make fairly good assumptions based on a combination of both techniques. Either way it's a lot of work for a solution that really should have been fixed on Vimeo's end.

I still think the easiest option is a toggle button. it could be in the preferences or next to the video itself perhaps saving the last selection in a cookie. The only requirement is to cover both cases and that's easier than auto detection.

I still think the easiest option is a toggle button. it could be in the preferences or next to the video itself perhaps saving the last selection in a cookie. The only requirement is to cover both cases and that's easier than auto detection.

Yeah, I agree. It's a lot easier to implement and no one is locked to a single option that may or may not work.

Okay guys, it now displays Flash by default but will instead display HTML5 if a mobile user agent is detected. Please let me know if anyone is still having problems. I could do a toggle option but I don't have time right this moment. If a lot of people want it I'll put something together when I get the chance.

Timecode notes:

Thank you for this! (Moment between Tim and the voice producer (~17:00 mark))

33:22 - this is great, so real! ‎

38:57 - this music sounds amazing!

41:38 - amazing! (violin hit)

41:13 - just perfect! -- So excited for this music in the game!

44:43 - this outdoor stuff is just awesome

45:26 - awesome shot (vista)

sweet docu-mentary!

Thank you! Thank you Thank you!

Okay guys, it now displays Flash by default but will instead display HTML5 if a mobile user agent is detected. Please let me know if anyone is still having problems. I could do a toggle option but I don't have time right this moment. If a lot of people want it I'll put something together when I get the chance.

I tested several user agents (some fake, some real), it worked for all modern ones I could find, some of the older ones display flash but that's probably a good thing since I don't believe html5 existed when they came out.

In short, I think it covers most, and possibly even all cases.

Sign in to follow this