Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

Where?!
What? When did that happen?

Twitter. They put up a Vine about it, they're available (or at least on display) at PAX.

Oooh, nice! The part with the composer was GOOD. And I may be biased as a person who works with sound and music myself, but I'd be really awesome to see more sound design/composition stuff.

I always love watching these episodes, it's really nice to know more about a company I love in this sort of way. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it honestly.

Mostly I can say is, I always feel super inspired after watching an episode. I just want to make something. I'm never sure what, but I always feel inspired. Keep it up you guys!

Where?!
What? When did that happen?

Twitter. They put up a Vine about it, they're available (or at least on display) at PAX.

Oh boy, oh boy... I WANT them, NOW! :-)

I think this was my favorite episode so far. I really like the close look at content creation on display here. Peter McConnell's music sounds perfect for the game and watching him make it was the highlight of this episode.

Also I loved seeing the Lucasarts cross cursor and font in game.

Man, there's some really tired looking people in this video (especially Greg at the beginning). I also kinda hope that "bitchy-sounding" 15 year-old doesn't watch the documentary, but then again I suppose actors hear that type of thing pretty often.

Great episode, though!

On the subject of game length, which you guys talk about a little bit in the video, please don't artificially pad the game.

A great example would be The Cave: the puzzles are fun, the characters are interesting, but having to play through the game 5 times, repeating the same 3 puzzles every single run is incredibly boring. It would be a much better experience if you could play all the characters in one run (so you only have to play through the game twice, for the bad endings and good endings) or if they let you skip the parts you've already solved.

For me this is the best episode yet. I'm always amazed of how important soundtrack and sound design are to a videogame.

You play great games with ok-ish soundtracks and they are still great but when you play great games with great soundtracks they become amazing.

I may be biased though. I like collecting and listening to games soundtracks.

Video won't work for me ;_;

It didn't work for me in Firefox. It works in Chrome and the latest Internet Explorer.

Great update. Was nice to see a bunch with Peter McConnell and nice to meet Khris Brown. These are names I remember because they showed up in the credits of so many of the games I loved in the 90s. Never would I thought 15-20 years ago that I'd be able to finally all these people that had been behind experiences that mean more to me than just simple entertainment.

Great episode! You know what, forget about all the non-backer haters, you're making this game for all the people that believe in you - like I do! So just do your thing, I have all the faith that this will be a most enjoyable game true to the adventure game tradition! Keep up your good work, with all that talent you guys have - what could possibly go wrong? :D

Great episode, but I have to ask 2PP - please don't do those fast horizontal camera movements like in the first part of the episode.. Not sure why they appeared (maybe some new guy was filming?) but they looked very artificial and quickly became physically uncomfortable when viewed on full screen. And small vertical shifts when camera missed someone's face after panning seemed a bit amateurish..

Again, nice episode overall, this is just small nitpick.

THANK YOU!

This episode was awesome. The game looks terrific!

:o HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT AFTER ITS ONLY BEEN AVAILABLE FOR 6 MINUTES??? O_O

No need to be nasty in this forum...

And, the post he made was 6 minutes + 1 hour after the video was posted.

This made me go "Wait... is there's a soundtrack as part of the package listed?"

I can't recall if so, but I really hope the people who pledged enough (and those didn't can purchase separately) a soundtrack with ALL of Peter's sketches and suites.

Great episode as usual! Some random thoughts that nobody should care to read:

- Loved the piano music before credits.

- LOL @ Tim saying, "WTF?" regarding the end of ESB.

- Interesting discussion on current age of kickstarter reactions. The bar seems to have been set high by last year's rush, and people seem hungry to see results of games they funded before supporting more projects.

- I'm glad the forums were discussed. I think sometimes reactions are too hot and cold. It's important for us to keep the big picture stuff in mind.

- Really enjoyed seeing/hearing some of the voice work.

- LOL @ an audition described as 'b***hy'.

- Maybe it's just me, but there were some "new" faces in this episode that I hadn't noticed before (not counting Brian). It was nice to hear from a few other team members, not to say it isn't great to hear from the regulars.

- 8-10 hours sounds very healthy and reasonable for the game length. That seems par for the course for most adventures these days.

- As others have said, it was really cool to have a window into Peter McConnell's thought process.

- Were those the Marin Headlands at the end? Wonderful place. Seeing it at the end of the video gave me some good memories of bike riding many of those trails.

I think Broken Age is shaping up to be a beautiful game.

After watching this episode I have to say I feel kind of worried. I feel like the team maybe even the whole studio is feeling a bunch of pressure because of this whole leak thing. As far as I can tell we the backers seem to be very happy with the project and understand that this whole thing was an investment on our part. The more I talk to people who are on the outside of the project (without spoilers) the more I find that people are hoping for some sort of horror story. I realize that you guys can't ignore the outside world but I really feel like you guys should tune out the comments section for the article on Kotaku. In my opinion I think we; who actually gave you guys the money for this thing, are happy and will support the studio 100% no matter what.

Honestly even if I get a white boxed broken game I wouldn't care. All I wanted from this project is some industry insight from a studio like yours. I have received that 10 fold and want nothing more. It was also my understanding in the beginning that that's what I was giving you money for in the first place. The game was just going to icing on the cake. I think that a bunch of people need to realign their expectations here, because of the fact that this project like almost every game project has and will continue to change. This isn't a movie it's a game and all games change in scope, size, sometimes even name and style! It's just the nature on the business. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, the outside expectation of the world on you guys in the studio is too much. I hope it's not affecting you guys or bringing any of you down. Please, don't let what the naysayers and idiots say affect you guys. 90,000 of us said that we believe in you guys and what your doing no matter what. If we really are 90,000 of your closest friends, then from one friend to another I trust you and I believe in you. So please keep doing what you're doing.

This made me go "Wait... is there's a soundtrack as part of the package listed?"

I can't recall if so, but I really hope the people who pledged enough (and those didn't can purchase separately) a soundtrack with ALL of Peter's sketches and suites.

Yes there is $30 or more nets you the soundtrack.

Did anyone else see the PS4 controller at 25:36... Is that an editing error or an announcement?

Is it the plastic rifle or the wooden stick? (Sony is taking up the fight with Nintendo for most "unique" controllers...) :-)

Either way they were "working" on a different project, so no announcement as far as BA is concerned.

Tim is shrinking.

Its amazing :P we will forever have Tims progression in these videos. Almost looks like a new person :D

Here's a note for Greg:

Don't - make - it - too - short - , - Full - Throttle - is - definitely - too - short - !

Second! When I think of games that were too short, Full Throttle is the first one that comes to mind... Which is actually somewhat of a compliment, since I would only care and remember if a great game was cut short and would just forget about less quality games. Anyway, since it was short Full Throttle will forever be at the bottom of the list for my favorite games, but it is on the list.

More recently, I felt the same way with the Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded remake... high quality, just way too short compared to the best of the best.

Both of these games were too short but had different ways of feeling it. In FT, I saw the end in sight at a time I felt I was just getting into it so I was worried about the game ending in what felt like 30% of the already short game. In LSL, I assumed there was going to be a whole other Part 2 and it just ended. This didn't ruin the 30% of the game but it had more of a depressing shock at the end.

In summation, I don't think it has to be a really long game. It just needs to be long enough so your initial response to finishing is "this can't be the end" or "WTF, already?". You know, kind of like most women think in bed. No marathon needed, but don't sputter out before you can really get into it. Ok, point made and dead horse beaten.

Great episode! Wish they would come out more often. Like a few others have posted, it's nice to see that you look at our chatter for feedback. For better or worse, I am now more inclined to offer my two cents. Keep fighting the good fight!

Sign in to follow this