Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

Very inspiring again! ...Must start humming in my voice recorder from now on : )

Oh btw omg all those schedules, days, months and whatever. I just hope they feel right for you guys..

Because you know, even thousands of years after you finalized it, it'll still be played and enjoyed like that.

oops I don't mean to pressure you guys even more ; )

But it must be fine I guess, it looks like there can be told quite an amazing story throughout this fresh new world you've been creating.

Awesome documentary!

Well that was an awesome episode. Lots of interesting stuff going on.

Getting more and more excited.

Love the stuff with the sound guy, seems like a very cool dude :) who definitely knows his stuff.

At the end of the episode, where is that place the soundguy is out walking in this hills ?, that looks like a really awesome relaxing place.

Ahhh amazing ep! That music is just sounding downright gorgeous, love it

edit: for my two cents on the length topic, I'm not worried in the slightest. Sure Full Throttle was somewhat short, but it's all damn amazing and makes for probably my favourite Schafer game, sooo... not worried at all. I for one like the argument of polish over length.

Enjoyed that episode a lot, thanks.

What was the crazy looking chair Peter was using? Is it something to make it easier to play instruments sitting down or something?

I've posted here once. But I've been following every post and every video. And, I really just want to say that I love what you guys are doing. These episodes really show how much you genuinely care about not only the game, but the backers and the gamers as well. You are really putting a lot of work into this, and it shows.

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

Great episode! I loved all the music stuff especially.

I paused the video to see some of the actor's names and was surprised to see folks like Ali Hillis, Cree Summer, and Grey DeLisle on some of those audition files. I have a feeling we're gonna get a good voice cast. :)

I didn't understand why it's hard making music for something strange and foreign though. I hope that the final music won't sound too much after a mix from different earth cultures because whilst some instruments/sounds always work there are also others which can drag you out from an alien world because their references to those cultures are too strong/obvious.

I think you've answered your own question! When you're designing music for a world that's based in an existing culture (he used Grim Fandango as an example), references to the music of that culture will immerse you deeper in the game. You still have to decide what effect you're trying to achieve (happy or sad? fast or slow?), but a lot of the music 'vocabulary' is already established for you.

Designing for a non-Earth setting is much harder, because you're starting from scratch in terms of instruments, melody, beat, etc. And you're still an Earthman who has only ever heard Earth music, and you have to use Earth instruments to create something that will evoke the right feelings in an Earth audience. The only way, really, is to try to blend Earth things in an unexpected-- but still harmonious-- way. (Even if you just say, "The Xedrons are space-Russians, so they get space-Russian music," you still have to figure out how to convey the right amount of "space"-iness.) It's a lot more complicated, precisely because you're trying to avoid dragging the audience out of the experience by specific references that are too strong/obvious.

(Disclaimer: I don't compose music myself; I'm sort of guessing, based on my experiences with visual arts. But I think he mentioned something like this in the video.)

That was a great episode. It's a shame so many people ran hog wild with so much misinformation but whatever. Loving the sound direction so far and can't wait for more.

Any one else getting the following error?

Sorry

Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here.

Screen shot attached.

[Edit]Fixed! The issue is that Vimeo checks the HTTP referer header, once I enabled the header again it worked![/edit]

video-error.png

video-error.png.7e3f660a42d6a93a78a2659b

"Sorry. There was an issue with playback."

Over and over and over and over again. I never got this error message for the "Look, the Clocks..." sidequest. I'm stuck. :(

EDIT: Unable to stream with either Chrome or Firefox. Actually had to turn to IE to play the video.

Great stuff, especially the glimpse into voice work and sound design. I have so much respect for musicians and composers of film, TV and game work, so it was nice to see the process of Peter O'Connell.

What does it take to be considered a rockstar writer? Because I would commit bloody murder to write on a game like Broken Age.

Maybe they should do a writing audition on the forums? Even if nothing comes out of it, it would still be incredibly fun.

They're pretty obviously working hard on this. They're a little incompetent on the management front, but artistically I have no doubt it'll be beautiful, and the team has real soul.

Edit: Also, I loved how he focused on African themes for the scenes with the black girl. I don't even think this is problematic -- it sounds great and fits my prejudices just as well as his. I love it.

This was a really great episode! Lots of interesting content about all aspects of sound design. And duuude. How many instruments does Peter actually own / know how to play?

Also, there was this....

NCC4Y7d.png

What a tease!

I love to write, but the last "junior writer" was Erik f***ing Wolpaw, and I am under no delusions about my talents and humor relative to his. That's a tough act to follow.

They're a little incompetent on the management front,

wtf?

Edit: Also, I loved how he focused on African themes for the scenes with the black girl. I don't even think this is problematic -- it sounds great and fits my prejudices just as well as his. I love it.

wtf?

wtf?

wtf?

Was there something confusing about what I said?

I've talked about their obvious management problems in other posts; no need to rehash it here. They're obviously no good at budgeting and time-/team-management.

Did you miss the African instruments and musical themes used in the girl's sections? He spent almost 5 minutes demonstrating them.

wtf?

wtf?

Was there something confusing about what I said?

I've talked about their obvious management problems in other posts; no need to rehash it here. They're obviously no good at budgeting and time-/team-management.

Did you miss the African instruments and musical themes used in the girl's sections? He spent almost 5 minutes demonstrating them.

Making games is an art, not a science. Schedule and budget changes happen on pretty much every game ever. You just don't hear about them because people usually don't talk about their games this early. It's the reason people are cagey with release dates until the game is almost shipped.

African/Scandinavian, yes. I supposed you missed that last influence. What does that have to do with the girl area anyway?

Edit: Greg gave you a good explanation about your other "dilemma". An explanation that has been retold a couple of hundred times by now, but if someone (like you) don't listen you won't hear it.

Thanks for the response, Greg. I guess the difference here is that most games don't need to scrounge together 200% of their budget and release half the game early to (hopefully) make ends meet.

But I support your cause, so try not to get too edgy about a little healthy negativity. You and the other managers aren't world-class, but you're trying and your hearts are in the right place.

African/Scandinavian, yes. I supposed you missed that last influence. What does that have to do with the girl area anyway?

What makes you think I missed it? The Scandinavian part wasn't as funny, and the music ended up sounding quite tribal, which I believe was the intention. I think it's awesome!

What does it take to be considered a rockstar writer? Because I would commit bloody murder to write on a game like Broken Age.

I also wonder what it would take to break into the game writing industry, especially if you don't have any prior accolades or "experience" (although I've played a shit ton of adventure games).

Can't watch Episode 11. Something wrong with my setup?? I tried 3 different browsers, get the same message. First time I'm having trouble, and apparently I'm not alone. HELP!

Re-energized my enthusiasm for the documentary. Last couple of ep's- and the sidequests- have left me a tad cold, but this one was great.

Loved the Peter McConnell stuff.

I am outraged that the game environments and characters influenced by African culture and art also happen to have African-inspired music.

Outraged.

Now I'm going to write a letter to James Horner expressing disappointment for using bagpipes in his Braveheart score.

This is my new favourite episode.

With regards to game length:

- My play time on Monkey 1 and Monkey 2 etc. would have been much shorter if it wasn't for the high difficulty of some of the puzzles.

- It seems the easiest way of extending game length is to increase the number of inventory items and the number of things that they can interact with.

For example, in Monkey 2 I ended up trying every item in my inventory on every item in the Gift Shop on Booty Island.

But is that enjoyable? Not really. Or at least, not as much as continual progression through the game and through puzzles of reasonable / enjoyable difficulty.

Without increasing the money/time spent on the game, there comes a point where extending game life = reducing game enjoyment, because the only thing you can extend is the amount of time players spend in the same content.

Sign in to follow this