Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

Hey guys, is there any post about internationalization? In which languages will the game be released (I mean subtitles, of course). Thanks!

I would assume at least German, considering the size of the adventure game market in Deutschland.

Man.. That was such a relief to watch.

Like, I have never been in doubt about DF's capabilities, but.. Just watching you guys do what you do best, your smiles when you get things to work. That alone is worth every dollar I donated for this project.

Keep it up guys! And thanks for brightening mine & (I presume) everyone's day.

Transparency wasn't the issue, the issue was how they worded it. They should have been more clear about some things. While I appreciate his ways of writing messages to the fans, he should have made it 100% sure that there were no room for misunderstandings. He should have just put the most important details at the start, in bold, without any excuses. And then he should have continued with his personal message.... Words.

Then main problem was that Tim's post was written assuming that the people reading it had backed and were following the development by watching the documentary. Once it leaked out onto the internet it was divorced from that context.

I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe that a statement intended to be a press release for public consumption than just another piece of on-going informal communication with a self-selected community would have been very different

Transparency wasn't the issue, the issue was how they worded it. They should have been more clear about some things. While I appreciate his ways of writing messages to the fans, he should have made it 100% sure that there were no room for misunderstandings. He should have just put the most important details at the start, in bold, without any excuses. And then he should have continued with his personal message.... Words.

Then main problem was that Tim's post was written assuming that the people reading it had backed and were following the development by watching the documentary. Once it leaked out onto the internet it was divorced from that context.

I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe that a statement intended to be a press release for public consumption than just another piece of on-going informal communication with a self-selected community would have been very different

I agree with this, the statement was never designed for the public, and they had no reason to expect it would be leaked because nothing before that had been leaked, for a whole year. There would have been a much more careful announcement.

Very easy to say with hindsight though. I'm sure many of us have experienced saying something that we thought was fine or well explained and thought through, but then people react differently to how you expect or take it the wrong way or misunderstand. And later you can maybe see how the misunderstanding happened, but it's easy to miss at the time.

Well, if it wasn't known before, then I guess it's lesson learned. And the lesson isn't to be less transparent. It really isn't. You can still have that.

I agree with this, the statement was never designed for the public, and they had no reason to expect it would be leaked because nothing before that had been leaked, for a whole year. There would have been a much more careful announcement.

And my opinion about that is the same as I've posted before, it's native to think that something like this wouldn't be leaked.

Previous updates wasn't leaked because they weren't as newsworthy. But this was the most loaded progress report so far when it comes to the major gaming kickstarters. You have to be prepared for that.

And considering it's something that was distributed to over 90 000 people, who could all send it forward with Ctrl+C without any traceability back, yes of course it would get "leaked" and made into headlines. Not saying it's right, but that's just how it is.

Hope the game music is good and "unforgettable"!

To me psychonaut music was good but forgettable. So was grim fandango's music good but forgettable.

Monkey island's music was good and "unforgettable" - many of us still remember it. It was made by Land.

is there any chance that we could get the scratch voiceovers as an option in game? isa really sounds like she would be a great mom with her get-your-feet-back-on-the-ground-young-man stern, yet maternal approach. and considering the way she was presented in the documentary so far, i think it would fit perfectly. also greg kicked ass as the dialogue tree so he would rule as well. "we're done here." i think it would work very, very well for the backers since we have your voices associated with the game very tightly.

also the third merrick sounds really nice. would be even better if he sounded even more like a teacher.

and wow, brian sounded "a bit" irritated. but it was understandable given the rather stressful situation :). anyways, peters music heard later on was amazing.

Hope the game music is good and "unforgettable"!

To me psychonaut music was good but forgettable. So was grim fandango's music good but forgettable.

Monkey island's music was good and "unforgettable" - many of us still remember it. It was made by Land.

I think Grim's soundtrack was insanely unforgettable! Agree with you on Monkey Island though. Tehe

Re: music, MI2 is probably my favourite soundtrack of all time, but Grim Fandango is a close second, and every so often they switch places. It's really just that back in the Monkey Island days, the approach to music was very different for all sorts of reasons, including:

1) Music was generally MIDI based, and designed to work on a wide range of soundcards. That means that you can't really do much fancy stuff with the performance, so most music relied on strong tunes to loop.

2) Music was also a much bigger percentage of the sound design. Almost all the audio in the first two Monkey Islands is music, and that changes how you approach things. You need to fill the space that would ordinarily be filled with speech or impressive looking action in a film or a talkie game with a soundtrack that is up to that task, while with a game like Grim Fandango, there's a lot of voice work going on, and so sometimes the music can get away with being a bit subtler.

I love music with catchy and memorable melodies and harmonies, those early games really inspired me as a composer. But it's very clear to me that Peter McConnell loves melody too - not only was he one of the main composers on Monkey Island 2, but the melodic work on both Psychonauts is phenomenal. Most of it is a little more understated, but it's no less powerful for it, and certainly to me some of the most memorable game music ever made.

I've every confidence he'll do it again.

P.S. Top trivia fact - this tune from Grim Fandango was actually originally written for Monkey Island 2, but they couldn't use it. It was ressurected for Grim Fandango. Even before I knew that I always thought it shared something with Largo's Theme.

is there any chance that we could get the scratch voiceovers as an option in game?
I'm afraid not. Part of being allowed to work with professional voices means not using scratch.

is there any chance that we could get the scratch voiceovers as an option in game?
I'm afraid not. Part of being allowed to work with professional voices means not using scratch.
Oh, it's a union thing? That's too bad though. That might have been a fun end-of-game unlock.

Great episode. It was especially cool to see Peter work on the music. When they were talking about using "an hour of music" for an "eight to ten hour game," despite the fact that it sounds like they resolved it by bringing on two more composers, I still have a thought ringing in my mind:

Both the Cloud Colony setting and the Spaceship setting seem to lend themselves to a combination of ambient music and ambient sound. If the music pieces have very subtle beginnings and very subtle endings, you can sort of have the music come and go without the player noticing. I remember when I played Myst 3, and I was very surprised when I saw an option that controls "how often music plays." I hadn't noticed it, but the game only plays music occasionally, and it's mixed in with the ambient sound in a really intuitive way. I realize that Peter's score is more melody-based than Jack Wall's mostly-ambient Myst score, but I still think that the "flowy" sound he's going for in both settings would work quite well blended in the same way.

On an unrelated note, I think the end credits to the final episode of the documentary should be an extended montage of Tim solving all of his Rubik's cubes

Hmm, ambience sounds are kind of a two sided sword. They can work out pretty well but they also can be so exchangeable, wishy-washy can provide a less intensive and memorable experience than strong melodies/themes.

Hmm, ambience sounds are kind of a two sided sword. They can work out pretty well but they also can be so exchangeable, wishy-washy can provide a less intensive and memorable experience than strong melodies/themes.

That's why I'm inclined to suggest intermingling them. The ambient sounds tend to work well in the moment-to-moment interactions with the game but the melodies are what your mind remembers and associates with the game

That's why I'm inclined to suggest intermingling them. The ambient sounds tend to work well in the moment-to-moment interactions with the game but the melodies are what your mind remembers and associates with the game

Yeah, it really depends on the moment. As much as I'm a fan of strong melodies (to the point that I actually really wish I was better at writing more 'backgroundy' stuff for my own games), I just can't imagine, say, this scene in Grim Fandango being improved with something with a really memorable line:

But McConnell is clearly capable of doing catchy when it's demanded, and tends to be melody focused, so I think we'll find the right balance. One place he seems to frequently employ themes, for example, is in a location which is particularly focused on a character (Cruller's theme, Maximino in Grim Fandango... oh, and Doug the Moleman of course, as three examples off the top of me head)

That first wolf voice was awesome.

Additionally, great episode, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. I could feel the project of love coming from my computer screen as I watched the documentary video.

Greg's talk about longer games diluting the experience did things to me that weren't decent.

Unfortunate flipside of that is, of course, that Tim's "there's nothing we can do to make this game feel too or be too long" rubbed me wrong all kinds of ways - said with this sincerity, it's just not true.

I prefer "short" games. There's so much content, and probably upwards of 90% of it diluted because there's too much (like every franchise), that there's an intrinsic value to pristine storytelling. I was expecting something between 6 and 10 hours, which I would've been very happy with (although I wouldn't have felt ripped off if it were five short, albeit significant, hours). A 20 hour adventure, for instance, I probably wouldn't have been interested in.

So, based on these episodes, Greg seems to be a pretty great producer.

now im going to a corner and cry myself to sleep :XXXX. but i hope you understand why it would be a great idea if it was possible.

now im going to a corner and cry myself to sleep :XXXX. but i hope you understand why it would be a great idea if it was possible.

I think all of DF is also sad to not be able to share our hilarious scratch dialogue as some sort of unlock weird mode. that would be amazing. While professioal VO is super awesome, the unintentional comedy of some scratch will be sorely missed :)

Also hi guys! It's lovely to read all these comments as I am joining the Broken Age team, feeling very wrapped in love and joy.

Glad to hear you're now on the team, Jane! Lots of going and coming on project Broken Age! :)

Also hi guys! It's lovely to read all these comments as I am joining the Broken Age team, feeling very wrapped in love and joy.

Finally! :)

SAG?

I played Full Throttle for the first time earlier this year (it was the last LucasArts game I hadn't played). It really is quite short. Loom *might* be longer.

Great Episode guys, loved the music and sounds segment. I loved Vella's village track, I thought it was extremely appropriate for the the setting. Wasn't so keen on Shae's scene although I did like the heartbeat thing going on, that was nice. Cool to see all of Peter's instruments, and that he was also playing them all.

Props to 2PP for the parallels between Peter's hilltop walk and Vella's scene, that was some nice editing.

It was also nice to see the team's reaction to the negative press, the flow was nice in how you dealt with that issue and then moved back into the production side of things.

Have to say also thank you to Tim for sticking to his guns about keeping transparent with this. While it may have short term consequences, I think in the long term people can look back on this and point to the documentary and say "That's how a video game is made", and it will stand on its own as a piece of history that can be reviewed.

I don't believe I've seen a 'Making of.." documentary that shows anything but the good side of production, I think this idea is forward thinking. I'm not saying that everyone should start doing it, because that would be silly, but good on Double Fine for doing it.

I'm just sad now because we have to wait another month for the next episode :-(

Keep on pushing Double Fine, we're cheering for you!

Sign in to follow this