Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

Episode 11: Ship It

Yes. Yes. Yes! Great episode!

1: My knee-jerk reaction to a two hour game time is disappointment. However, when I think of other short games, like Journey, I realize that it isn't the length but the impact, experience, and ending that matter to me. This is going to be tricky with spreading the game into two parts. Chapter one has to set the stage, introduce the characters, begin them on their journeys....and then somehow end well without irritating your audience. Thinking about the trajectory of Campbell's monomyth, the only way I can think of doing this successfully would be to have your characters reach the point of revelation in Chapter one without conquering the abyss. Star Wars did exactly that at the end of Empire Strikes Back. Luke realized Vader was his dad, but didn't overcome that final obstacle till the next chapter. Tim did mention that he hated the end of that movie specifically....but perhaps the revelation in Broken Age is easier to wrap our brains around?

2: I like that everyone seems to be cooperating through problems. There isn't overblown drama. Thanks for keeping it real.

3: When Khris Brown was sharing the actual 15yr old girls voice and called it out as "Bitchy," I think it sounded kind of like the Sexy Baby Vocal Phenomenon (Lake Bell coined the phrase. It refers to exactly what it sounds like). Girls in their tweens/teens sometimes adopt the SBVP while trying to find thier own personal voice. Adolescence is the phase of cementing your identity and the SBVP is an emulation technique modeled on media and other social references. All this makes me wonder if Tim is consulting with any women as he writes a coming of age tale for a female character. Not that it would be imperative he do so, I am just thinking it might help to have some personal insight into the dark scary world of pubescent girls.

4: Watching Peter McConnell work is incredible. He wove sounds together like magic!

is there any chance that we could get the scratch voiceovers as an option in game?
I'm afraid not. Part of being allowed to work with professional voices means not using scratch.

now im going to a corner and cry myself to sleep :XXXX. but i hope you understand why it would be a great idea if it was possible.

I think all of DF is also sad to not be able to share our hilarious scratch dialogue as some sort of unlock weird mode. that would be amazing. While professioal VO is super awesome, the unintentional comedy of some scratch will be sorely missed :)

Also hi guys! It's lovely to read all these comments as I am joining the Broken Age team, feeling very wrapped in love and joy.

Oh dear, here comes the massive influx of cats in Broken Age! :) I kid, I kid...

is there any chance that we could get the scratch voiceovers as an option in game?
I'm afraid not. Part of being allowed to work with professional voices means not using scratch.

now im going to a corner and cry myself to sleep :XXXX. but i hope you understand why it would be a great idea if it was possible.

I think all of DF is also sad to not be able to share our hilarious scratch dialogue as some sort of unlock weird mode. that would be amazing. While professioal VO is super awesome, the unintentional comedy of some scratch will be sorely missed :)

Also hi guys! It's lovely to read all these comments as I am joining the Broken Age team, feeling very wrapped in love and joy.

Oh dear, here comes the massive influx of cats in Broken Age! :) I kid, I kid...

Cats sleeping on stylized Cave-sque rocks. Brilliant stylized rocks.

i understand. and i also understand that if youve "accidentally" leaked that none of those pros could ever work with you again :(.

also, welcome back.

Hi guys!

Once again, an outstanding episode.

As several others, I really liked the section about the music. Being a Finn and a music enthusiast, I kinda feel ashamed that I didn't recognize the opening instrument of the trailer as kantele. On the other hand, that only shows the skill of Peter McConnell. Even when the inspiration and the instruments come from Africa and Scandinavia, the instruments fuse so well together, it sounds like an entity instead of a collection of elements glued together.

For those interested, here's a classic kantele tune from Karelia, eastern Finland:

Watched this a couple days ago. So awesome seeing the audio guys at work. Got my hopes up that Jack Black would voice the lumberjack, though xD.

Another awesome episode. Thanks!

Great update.

Honestly I've just grown fond of seeing these vids and has just solidified my devotion for Double Fine.

It will be bittersweet when the game is finally released.

Yes, we will have an utter masterpiece to play, but will no longer be graced with these episodes.

3: When Khris Brown was sharing the actual 15yr old girls voice and called it out as "Bitchy," I think it sounded kind of like the Sexy Baby Vocal Phenomenon (Lake Bell coined the phrase. It refers to exactly what it sounds like). Girls in their tweens/teens sometimes adopt the SBVP while trying to find thier own personal voice. Adolescence is the phase of cementing your identity and the SBVP is an emulation technique modeled on media and other social references. All this makes me wonder if Tim is consulting with any women as he writes a coming of age tale for a female character. Not that it would be imperative he do so, I am just thinking it might help to have some personal insight into the dark scary world of pubescent girls.

It would be good if that "rockstar second writer" they discuss potentially bringing on was a woman. I do think it's a good sign that the girl's story more or less begins with a potential "damsel in distress" making the decision to rescue herself, but you're right, in terms of being a girl that age, there's a lot that a woman writer could bring to the table there. I would think that he's probably at least doing brainstorming sessions with women when mapping out what happens in her story.

I think we're all missing the really important part of this awesome episode, which is how amazingly tall Greg looks in the final few shots as they leave the meeting room. Is he a giant? Is everyone else at DF super-small? Why haven't we noticed this before?

The people of the internetz must know his earth height!

I appreciate Double Fine's transparency with the new release plan and admire their dedication in reading so much feedback over it. Y'all have my support, and I look forward to playing the game!

Today I realized what I look like with my headphones on (~24min). I’ll stay away from the windows.

Another great episode, good luck to the programmers for the next few months.

Ship it!

I think we're all missing the really important part of this awesome episode, which is how amazingly tall Greg looks in the final few shots as they leave the meeting room. Is he a giant? Is everyone else at DF super-small? Why haven't we noticed this before?

The people of the internetz must know his earth height!

I believe he's 6'8".

@Mikree

When did Tim say that the game time would be 2 hours? I seem to recall 8-10 hours?

He never did. I misheard Tim at the 29:00 mark. I thought he said he didn't want a two hour game, but he actually said three.

So, I'm 10 minutes in the episode and they are talking about the whole "some people want Kickstarter business model to die. We gotta deliver a great end product!".

Let me just tell you that all the episodes and sidequests are already f*cking epic and are well worth the money I put onto this.

I understand some people have paid a different, much larger, amount of cash, but those people probably weren't worrying too much about it to begin with.

*backtotheepisode*

@LuigiHann

Yay, it obviously also depends on what kind of game you're making and the situation/feelings you want to explain/express but what would the LSA headquarters be without the fantastic music? Running around in the Mi2 dock without the Woodchuck variations (always thinking of Woodclock instead first), Torchlight 2 illustrated how a more ambience like sound significantly lowers the quality of the experience, ... there are situations where you don't want melodies but if you can then it's much more juicy. Online games used to utalise ambience sounds quite a lot due to the restrictions of the file sizes or when a tracker/softsynth wasn't available but a strong melody combined with a good rhythm rocks.

@Mikree

When did Tim say that the game time would be 2 hours? I seem to recall 8-10 hours?

He never did. I misheard Tim at the 29:00 mark. I thought he said he didn't want a two hour game, but he actually said three.

I thought Tim was being fictitious when he said that? He was responding to Greg about the game being a core experience, and nothing more. Double Fine won't know how long it'll be until they playtest it. I guess Tim just doesn't want another Full Throttle: A great game, but that lingering disappointment that it could have been much, much better.

Hey. Not sure if Schafer\Greg will read this.. but I REALLY appreciated Tim's firm stance about the game's length.

I HATE this current budding trend of "experience" games which last you 2 fucking hours.

@Mikree

I thought Tim was being fictitious when he said that? He was responding to Greg about the game being a core experience, and nothing more. Double Fine won't know how long it'll be until they playtest it. I guess Tim just doesn't want another Full Throttle: A great game, but that lingering disappointment that it could have been much, much better.
Still liked full throttle the most of the lucasarts adventures just because of the story.

The addressing of the funding controversy in this episode I think is important but it also reminded me of how much the controversy bothered me to begin with. I mean, we funded this game to release Double Fine from the restrictive and counter-productive nature of big business game publishing. The negativity that emerged from the plan of a two part release really got me down. All I ever wanted from this is for Double Fine to make the game they wanted to make and make it as great as it can be, that's why I backed. I don't care so much about the schedule or how the whole project is funded, I care about their freedom to make a great game. Perhaps the focus on the issue in the episode amplified its importance, it seems like the crew got over it quickly enough. I just wish we could bathe them in never-ending positivity even though I acknowledge people have a right to their own opinions. Maybe I'm just too biased towards empathy, which would make me a terrible game publisher :D

Anyone who gets through an adventure game in 2 hours is probably cheating by looking up the solutions on the internet.

No sympathy there.

Same goes for other games like Fez or Portal or Braid. They are shorter indie games - true. But if you looked up the answer to each Fez puzzle you didn't get straight away - the game might only take you a few hours. Same for Braid.

But why would you do that?

Fez took me about a month of playing five to eight hours a week, because I refused to look up the answers on the internet.

Does anyone remember the pre-internet days when you had to glean hints from your friends or magazines on how to solve games?

It took me probably three or four years to finish The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

If I finished Zork I tomorrow, I guess you could say I've been playing that game for 25 years.

Tim/Greg - don't worry about the length of time it would take someone who knows all the answers to the puzzles to finish your game. I sincerely hope you're not building a game for them anyway.

Think about that bakers who want to spend a month or more living in your world and playing Broken Age and won't be looking at the internet for help.

TL;DR If you want longer games - don't cheat by looking at the internet

Hello, Backers!

Another documentary episode has been delivered from the geniuses at 2 Player Productions! Enjoy!

[vimeo]73389636[/vimeo]

Still broken on my end I have tried 3 OS and 4 different browsers as well as a different internet connection!

Bummer

I hope it is fix soon

Was so expecting Ron Gilbert to walk into the room @ "rockstar writer" :P or does he not do much writing? Anyways, loved the music section and really looking forward to the game!

Still broken on my end I have tried 3 OS and 4 different browsers as well as a different internet connection!

Bummer

I hope it is fix soon

I posted about the same problemm here and at the Kickstarter updates. Please respond, 2PlayerProductions...?

Thanks. Loved the episode and don't let whiners ruin it. All that matters is the end product.

Don't read these posts. Don't even read THIS one.

Just keep up the awesome.

I paid $15. I got so much more. It's not about the game anymore, for me at least.

Stay real. Stay genuine. There will always be haters, and you can't fix Stupid.

Sign in to follow this