Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

Any good lets players?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpoilerWarningShow/videos

The point of this show is to talk about what they like and dislike about the games they play rather than being funny all the time but since having meaningful discussion about the games for 10+ hours is kind of hard it's usually full of puns and bugs in between those points.

And if you like reading let's plays these are fantastic: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?page_id=16499

Apart from Cr1tical and PewDie, are there any other good let's players around that I should know about?

Wait, PewDiePie? Good? Not making this thread about him but I'd classify him as the opposite of that word.

Apart from Cr1tical and PewDie, are there any other good let's players around that I should know about?

Wait, PewDiePie? Good? Not making this thread about him but I'd classify him as the opposite of that word.

I love his older vids, back when he just did horror.

I love his older vids, back Ywhen he just did horror.

Yea tbh I haven't really watched him, but what I have seen composed mainly of screaming and weird jokes.

He's quite controversial given his popularity. Can't blame him for being successful, but I think with him it's more about the gimmicks than actual quality commentary.

Anyway, I like TotalBiscuit and Kikoskia among others.

Two Best Friends Play are just the best.

Qe-SpjInztQ

They have a series on Machinima where they take a brief look at different games and then full LPs on their channel and other stuff. They also just started a really great podcast a few weeks back.

I mostly watch laid back LP's for Sandbox and Strategy games. Mostly to learn how to play the game.

I watched DireWolf20 and Ethoslab to learn tricks/get ideas for Minecraft.

captnduck is the Dwarf Fortress LPer and probably the best to learn the game from.

And I recently started watching Quill18 who has been LPing Europa Universalis IV, learning a lot from those. I'm also enjoying his Dwarf Fortress LP.

Also trying out aKiss4Luck who has been a guest commentator on some of Quill18's videos. She's a very sweet, pleasent person and I enjoy her commentary. It's like if Mary Steenburgen did Let's Plays which is too awesome.

DarkSydePhil is alright, but beginning with mid-2011, he began to go downhill by treating some of his fans like crap and let the money get to him instead of playing games for the fun of it. I remember how great his Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption playthroughs were.

My experience of Let's Plays to date has led me to one overarching conclusion:

Let's Plays almost exclusively attract people who should never, ever, ever be given a microphone.

My experience of Let's Plays to date has led me to one overarching conclusion:

Let's Plays almost exclusively attract people who should never, ever, ever be given a microphone.

It always bugs me when people say this. It just shows that the loud, obnoxious people end up overshadowing the genuinely great Let's Players out there.

I'll acknowledge that some people are capable of doing a good LP, having an acute sense of when to talk, when to shut up, what to address when talking, what things to point out/comment on, when to shut up, how much explanation is sufficient and how much explanation is too much, and also when to shut up.

The people who are bad at it, though, are really very bad at it.

You guys should all check out retsupurae. It's like an MST3K type thing for bad Let's Plays. It's made by some of the guys from the Something Awful forums who pretty much started Let's Plays. It's pretty entertaining stuff.

NVmVr-4Y6M4

They also do their own Let's Plays of bad flash, horror, and adventure games.

You should also check out slowbeef's Let's Plays before Retsupurae. His Metroid Prime one is one of the most popular. Three words: Jersey accent Ridley.

"HOW YA DOIN', SAMUS? HEY, WELCOME TO UNIDENTIFIED SPACE VESSEL! HOW D'YA LIKE MY PLANET TALLON IV?"

I've been meaning to check out some of slowbeef's stuff. I have been watching diabeetus' Mario Galaxy 2 Let's Play off and on and it's pretty great.

I've been watching AlChestBreach religiously the past few weeks. He usually sticks with Fallout New Vegas though.

ChipCheezum is basically the best let's player I am aware of. He's great at games, he's great at commentary, he's great at editing, and he has his own separate retsupurae channel that's pretty great.

He's basically the only person who can competently show off Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance while providing entertaining commentary.

ChipCheezum is basically the best let's player I am aware of. He's great at games, he's great at commentary, he's great at editing, and he has his own separate retsupurae channel that's pretty great.

He's basically the only person who can competently show off Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance while providing entertaining commentary.

Two Best Friends Play pulled that last one off, but yeah, everything I've seen from Chip is fucking great.

Kikoskia has started a LP of The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (albeit in the original graphic mode and, err, doing the voices himself).

Game Grumps/Steam Train/Steam Rolled

AGirlNamedBob

I mostly watch LP's because they're playing a game I don't have the right console/amount of money for/it was never ported/it was before my time.

Sign in to follow this