• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

No offence guys, but even if TTG made a Season 2 of BTTF, I very much doubt they'd even pull off stuff like multiple timelines and such. At most, I can see stuff like "So and So will remember that", but the story being the exact same, with maybe three alternative endings that are all pretty bad, like TWD Season 2 had.

Not on a large scale, no, but the story of Back to the Future: Season 1 as a whole does seem like it would translate very well into the choice based gameplay format. Even prior to Walking Dead, it felt like that Season's story had focused a lot on the ethics of time traveling, which is why I bring that up.

Is there any indication that the new version of BTTF is coming to computers?

No need to get nervous. The console versions are actual disc versions, that's why Amazon has them listed while the undoubtedly all digital PC version remains as of yet unconfirmed. But I'm sincerely sure it'll come. Telltale just hasn't started the hype machine. We'll know more when Laura has finally put something on the official blog, which is in Minecraft (story) mode right now.

By the way, Strong Bad hits GOG.com's front page this weekend. Nice to see the little guy so big again. :)

By the way, Strong Bad hits GOG.com's front page this weekend. Nice to see the little guy so big again. :)

But how does he play video games when he wears boxing gloves?

No offence guys, but even if TTG made a Season 2 of BTTF, I very much doubt they'd even pull off stuff like multiple timelines and such. At most, I can see stuff like "So and So will remember that", but the story being the exact same, with maybe three alternative endings that are all pretty bad, like TWD Season 2 had.
I doubt they'll have timelines on the scale of Citizen Brown's or Edna's Hill Valley be determined by gamer decisions, but even the conversation based choices and consequences that Telltale's games are now known for have the potential to have a lot more impact to the gamer in a game like Back to the Future than in any of their other choices and consequences games.

If, for instance, you travel back in time and say something to Jennifer's grandfather, which causes Jennifer to react differently to Marty in 1986, that simple choice in dialog would make the gamer feel the impact a lot more than if your choice makes Kenny hate Lee or makes Auntie Greenleaf hate Bigby.

Stop trying to handle his style.

tVtAFoS0GyM

All of Telltale's games are on sale this weekend on steam, both classic and modern games, with the complete bundle being $55.

One of Telltale's engine programmers has started working on a Linux port and is looking for testers. The post doesn't say, but their Minecraft game recently got a Linux depot on Steam, so that's probably the game they will be testing.

So, TTG are now trying to rip people off in the UK. Back to the Future The Game 30th Anniversary Edition released on the US Playstation Store for $20. But in the UK, it released for £20, which roughly comes out to around $30 according to Google.

Well, nice work TTG. Guess who's gonna be waiting for a sale now.

Is there anything different about this 30th anniversary edition or is this just a "next gen" re-release? Because if it's the latter, then this really is a rip off. Then again, I'm the kind of person who keeps the their previous generation console. Well, that and I got this game on PC anyway.

I think it's just the same game, only with Thomas Wilson as Biff, and a few extra features.

Oh, and as a notice, on top of BTTF costing more in the UK, TTG's newer games like Tales from the Borderlands? It's £15.

So it costs more than a newer game? My best guess is that they're just doing this because of the whole anniversary thing and "Back to the Future day" or whatever people have been calling it.

Why am I not a mod here yet?

I mean, I've probably gotten my wife to make me a /couple/ sandwiches in the 10 years we've been married, and I have a daughter who is too young to understand a word I say when I tell her to stop getting into mischief.

So I'd be perfect. What's the hold up?

I mean, I've probably gotten my wife to make me a /couple/ sandwiches in the 10 years we've been married, and I have a daughter who is too young to understand a word I say when I tell her to stop getting into mischief.

You're too awesome.

If you become a mod, you need this in your signature.

tumblr_mo5rxrNp8b1su68szo1_500.gif

If you become a mod, you need this in your signature.

tumblr_mo5rxrNp8b1su68szo1_500.gif

Or maybe this?

twDoLkF.gif

I got to go down to New York City to play Minecraft at a Telltale event, and I have to say I'm beyond pleasantly surprised. It's actually my favorite Telltale premiere since their puzzle games (in fact, they even have a real puzzle here in the form of a switch based puzzle at the end of the game). The story is actually pretty good (a monster is unleashed, and the group has to find people who can stop it. The part of the story that elevates it beyond that premise is that the villain is actually pretty nuanced, once you realize his motivation, you almost feel sorry for him and understand why he did what he did).

The best part about this game (and the reason why I rank it so high among my favorites), is that it addresses so many of my concerns about modern Telltale games, especially the shallow gameplay. It still has quick time events, but there aren't as many. Most of the action is in actual direct controlled battles with a hit counter. This is so much better than quick time events, and I really hope it becomes the standard for Telltale's games from here on out. There's also more exploration than in their usual games, the inventory is actually used with multiple items when it comes to crafting items (in one part, you have to escape a room, and the item you use to escape depends on what you craft, and what you can craft depends on the items that you picked up throughout the game earlier).

It's really surprising that it's Minecraft of all licenses that caused them to deepen their gameplay experience, but they've done it.

Most of the action is in actual direct controlled battles with a hit counter.

Does it require good hand-eye coordination and/or reflexes?

The flexible inventory puzzles sound cool..!

Most of the action is in actual direct controlled battles with a hit counter.

Does it require good hand-eye coordination and/or reflexes?

Somewhat. But, the hit counter is high enough and the creepers are slow enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Of course, there's always the possibility that they'll have faster enemies in later episodes.
The flexible inventory puzzles sound cool..!
There's a lot of possibilities here with this one, for sure. There's also a second item that's available to craft the first time you make a sword, and I missed that my first playthrough. I'm going to play through it again to see what happens when you craft it. I like that Telltale is adding optional puzzles (and just puzzles in general, honestly) to their games again.

It's a pleasant surprise to hear that feedback! It sounds like they've at least found a few ways to stay true to the original Minecraft.

On Steam, there are quite a few negative reviews, some of which talk about the lack of creativity control the player has (which was to be expected), but personally I love the idea of inventory puzzles to craft items. This is a great quality that I can imagine appealing to both puzzle game fans and Minecraft fans alike.

Controlled battles sound alright too, although I wasn't aware that Telltale had been putting quick time events in their recent games! I remember when Daedalic made fun of quick time events in adventure games in "Harvey's New Eyes" though. I wonder if they were poking fun at Telltale at all?

Ah well, sounds like they've made some nice decisions with this game. :)

So, I finished Tales from the Borderlands. I can easily say it's TTG's best Post Sam & Max Season 3 game, along with The Wolf Among Us. A lot of the characters grew on me, and by the end, I wanted to see them all get through the story, which was a massive improvement considering I hated almost every single character in Season 2 of The Walking Dead.

The advantages are the characters were really great, and with voices like Troy Baker, and Nolan North, they add a lot of likability to the whole thing. The story was really great with all the twists and turns, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Borderlands, the game's world really engrossed me here. On top of that, each episode must have lasted around 2 hours, or 2 and a half hours. But that said, I still have a lot of problems with it.

It's absolutely crazy how linear this game was, and it really got noticeable in the final episode, where there is literally only two sections in the final episode where you can explore, and even then, one of those sections is simply walking down a linear path with Fiona.

Glitches. One major one that really annoyed me was in Episode 4. Right at the end, Handsome Jack offers you the Hyperion throne. I at first agree to it, simply thinking it'd be something that Rhys does to the computer systems, until I see the wire plug thing, and realize right away Jack was up to something, so I back out of it.

I get the ending where Handsome Jack takes control of Rhys and forces him to plug him into the system, with Rhys then getting pissed of. Fair enough, I wanted to be a team player, and stick with the other members of the team. My choices also say I rejected the Hyperion Throne. So I start up Episode 5, and suddenly, the game thinks I accepted it.

Finally, the final thing, and the one that's really been starting to piss me off with Telltale lately. CLIFFHANGER ENDING.

For those who want it spoiled, Rhys and Fiona open the vault chest, they suddenly disappear, and it ends there and then.

I am so sick and tired of the games having just a completely crap ending just to set up a sequel that may or may not happen. BTTF, Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Season 3, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead Seasons 1/2.

Saw Nerd³ play Telltale's Minecraft game. Still not entirely sure why someone thought this was a good idea.

lDkizAZjCrc

If its popular with children, that's why. I would've loved something like that when I was a lot younger.

Yeah it's clearly aimed at kids, and it looks like it'll do a fine job at that, no qualms from me.