Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Is there anything different about this 30th anniversary edition or is this just a "next gen" re-release? Because if it's the latter, then this really is a rip off. Then again, I'm the kind of person who keeps the their previous generation console. Well, that and I got this game on PC anyway.

The email I just got through from backtothefuture.com said:

Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition features textures that take full advantage of current-generation console capabilities, and updated voice work from Biff Tannen's original movie actor, Tom Wilson. This edition also includes in-game access to new, exclusive content: a behind the scenes video featuring interviews with movie trilogy co-writer and producer Bob Gale, original movie cast member Tom Wilson, members of the development team, and AJ LoCascio - the voice of young Marty McFly.

Is there anything different about this 30th anniversary edition or is this just a "next gen" re-release? Because if it's the latter, then this really is a rip off. Then again, I'm the kind of person who keeps the their previous generation console. Well, that and I got this game on PC anyway.

The email I just got through from backtothefuture.com said:

Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition features textures that take full advantage of current-generation console capabilities, and updated voice work from Biff Tannen's original movie actor, Tom Wilson. This edition also includes in-game access to new, exclusive content: a behind the scenes video featuring interviews with movie trilogy co-writer and producer Bob Gale, original movie cast member Tom Wilson, members of the development team, and AJ LoCascio - the voice of young Marty McFly.

Yep, that's it really. updated textures (although not on the Xbox 360 port it seems, as it's pretty much identical to the 2011 version from what I could tell), Tom Wilson voicing Biff, and a short video featuring old interviews from 2011 with Christopher Lloyd, Bob Gale, and AJ Locascio, mixed with new interviews with the development team and Tom Wilson.

I'm happy with my purchase though just because of Tom Wilson as Biff. He really adds a lot to the role and is a lot more varied in his performance. I liked Andrew Chaikin's wimpy Biff when I first played the 2011 version, but Tom gives more range in even the Wimpy Biff persona than Kid Beyond did, and it really helps the game (the Citizen Plus Biff especially really benefits from Tom's performance, as he's given a whole new vocal style rather than just mellow wimpy Biff, and really sells the eerie feel that you're supposed to get with the idea of the Citizen Plus program).

Plus, all of the other voices besides Biff remains the same, so you still get Owen Thomas as Kid and Beauregard and Andrew Chaikin as Cliff and Riff. I know people were hoping that Tom would voice all of the Tannens like the films and the animated series, but it really works much better if they're split among actors (Biff, Cliff, and Riff especially work much better now that they don't sound nearly identical). It is a bit weird though that they didn't have Biff voice Beauregard though, as he originated the role in the animated series, but he's supposed to have mellowed out in his older age since the Civil War, so Owen Thomas' vocal performance does reflect that well.

My original Telltale username idea: The Brofessor
My original username at the Telltale forums was Mickey, which was my childhood nickname due to my last name McMurray, and the fact that it was both my grandfather's nickname (for the same reason) and my mother's nickname (not for the same reason, obviously, hers was a nickname for Madeline Jackson - probably because Mickey sounds better than Mackey) when they were kids too.

So, another Telltale game is no longer available. They pulled Law & Order: Legacies from digital storefronts, and posted about it in their support center as they did Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures. I ended up picking up all of the Telltale games I didn't already have on Steam, as it's pretty much unclear what games are going to stick around, and they don't seem to give advance warning before their license to sell the game expires.

Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures and Law & Order: Legacies were available at retail so those games will still be available in some form to those who want them. But the same can't be said for Puzzle Agent 2, Poker Night 1+2 and Hector: Badge of Carnage. If they lose the rights to sell those games, the ability to buy them will be lost forever.

Law & Order was only available on Steam recently in the full developer bundle. I never bought it since I own everything else I was interested in. Was it that bad? I heard the usual folks didn't like it, but that came out right when TTG was pissing us off with their departure from adventure.

Law & Order was...not great, to put it bluntly. It's quick, there's no challenge, and I can't remember a damn thing about it beyond that. Probably the blandest of the Telltale Games.

Law & Order: Legacies isn't close to being Telltale's best game, but if you want to pick it up on Amazon while it's still only $3, it is worth picking up at that price, in my opinion.

The writing is quite dry, and it's a very casual adventure game (like a mix between Telltale's CSI games and Phoenix Wright, but without the humor), and the voice actors don't sound like the people they are playing (although their performances are good otherwise, so it might not be a problem if you're not a Law & Order superfan). However, it's really faithful to Law & Order, as you first play as a detective, searching for evidence and interrogating witnesses, and then play as a prosecutor using the evidence you collected to try to convict the accused. Plus, just like the show you are able to lose your case in court. Losing your case doesn't result in a game over, just a different outcome, which is actually pretty cool.

Law & Order was only available on Steam recently in the full developer bundle. I never bought it since I own everything else I was interested in. Was it that bad? I heard the usual folks didn't like it, but that came out right when TTG was pissing us off with their departure from adventure.

It was pretty hit or miss at times, they didn't put a lot of effort into these episodes, and it was a totally railroaded experience. Still, particularly for someone who's not an English native, the court scenes with their dynamic objections and true fail states were actually challenging. With L&O:L (LOL?), I think they were still going in a certain direction that today they wouldn't even casually look into.

It's one of their more quickly made titles, but I thought the gameplay was alright (I picked up the first episode on iOS a few years back when the series premiered). The production qualities are a bit low, but the gameplay is actually alright. As Vain and Jenn said, there are actual fail states and a few logic puzzles. When you answer people's question with dialogue options, the game follows up on your dialogue choice and asks you why what you said was true, which adds some challenge. You can tell it was made by a small team for mobile first and PC second, but if the production qualities had been higher, it could stand somewhat closer to the typical Telltale titles around the time.

If you missed out on it, I imagine it was similar gameplay-wise to their earlier CSI titles (which I have not played so I wouldn't know), so it's not a big loss unless you want another piece of Telltale history. Wallace and Gromit was by far a bigger title for Telltale to lose in terms of which game out of the two had higher production qualities.

I hope that, in the future, they announce if more games will expire. I had got a Telltale Everything Steam code through watching a TTG staff member's charity stream (and bought several TTG games including W&G years before), so I'm good on owning the older titles except for CSI, but it would suck for new fans to potentially miss out on some of TTG's better titles from their older phase.

Well I guess the Bruce Wayne in that trailer did look like the DCAU Bruce, so who knows. Then again, for all I know this theme might return.

yXz-N_-CdiQ

If they don't get Kevin Conroy, they're doing it wrong.

There's a fair chance they can pull that off.

The game certainly won't be of Arkham City quality, but we'll see.

Man, I'm really starting to feel for the older TTG Forum crowd that left at this point. I mean, I wasn't a very active member prior to when most left so I'm not going to go on about the "good old days" since I wasn't as active of a participant then, but still, - I was open minded about the forum layout, new users, etc, and even I'm reaching a point to where I'm wishing there were more mature people on the forums.

How in the hell are they gonna be able to pull off the combat in the Batman game

How in the hell are they gonna be able to pull off the combat in the Batman game

They could pull it off like they did with Wolf. Come to think of it, Batman as a whole could actually be a really good spiritual successor to Wolf. Both could be good noir detective games with a more fantastical twist, both could have an amazing comic art style, and both could present you with morally ambiguous choices about how to use your power.

Why would they need combat?

...because it's Batman. And Batman kicks people's asses when he isn't being a detective.

They could pull it off like they did with Wolf. Come to think of it, Batman as a whole could actually be a really good spiritual successor to Wolf. Both could be good noir detective games with a more fantastical twist, both could have an amazing comic art style, and both could present you with morally ambiguous choices about how to use your power.

I'd like to see how far they can push the I Will Never Kill rule.

By demanding the player presses 'X' or 'O', when prompted to do so, via a QTE.

It's remarkably true to life; I've often used this strategy when confronted by a Friday night, post pub scrap. However, for some unknown reason, it almost always fails.

There I stand, shouting "X" at some neo-nazi nutjob...

"Take that 'X' straight to the face, Mr. Scary Pub Adversary. Wait... why is this not working?! Oh dear god, my vital organs!"

Video games are a f**king lie! Damn you, TellTale!

Bastards.

Man, I'm really starting to feel for the older TTG Forum crowd that left at this point. I mean, I wasn't a very active member prior to when most left so I'm not going to go on about the "good old days" since I wasn't as active of a participant then, but still, - I was open minded about the forum layout, new users, etc, and even I'm reaching a point to where I'm wishing there were more mature people on the forums.

There probably are a lot, but they're drowned in juveniles. When I look at those forums today, I don't even think that those torrents of immaturity poured in come TWD Season 1 any more. That happened, for for better or for worse, with TWD Season 2. :(

By the way, here's a video from Ian Danskin (whose six parter "Why are you so angry" is sort of required watching for people interested in game culture), discussing the difference between Seasons 1 and 2 of the Walking Dead Game. He draws some interesting conclusions that aren't necessarily all scathing for Telltale, but may still put people at unease with the second Season.

Incidentally, when was the last Banang! reference in a Telltale Game? Has it been in the more recent stuff?

Incidentally, when was the last Banang! reference in a Telltale Game? Has it been in the more recent stuff?

ThiluX9.jpg

Banang has been in most of their recent stuff actually: The Walking Dead: Season One, 400 Days, The Walking Dead: Season Two, The Wolf Among Us, Poker Night 2, and Tales from the Borderlands.

It wasn't in Game of Thrones, and it hasn't yet popped up in Minecraft: Story Mode (as far as I know), but I'd be really surprised if it didn't show up there, as it's a comedic season.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

You're telling me that there's still anybody left at Telltale who still remembers that they did Sam & Max?