Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

23 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

I haven't played any of the Walking Dead Season 3, but... after this review, I think I know exactly how it feels.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/22/the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier-review/

Haven't played any games in the series, and won't either as I don't play zombie games or watch zombie movie/series. But I thought that was a pretty awful review, John Walker in the essence - he finds one or two aspects of a game that's not for him, shreds everything in the game based on that. And then isn't satisfied with just disliking something, but is provoked by anyone having a different opinion than him. His behaviour in the comment field is downright pathetic. 

Edited by CecilRousso

3 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Haven't played any games in the series, and won't either as I don't play zombie games or watch zombie movie/series. But I thought that was a pretty awful review, John Walker in the essence - he finds one or two aspects of a game that's not for him, shreds everything in the game based on that. And then isn't satisfied with just disliking something, but is provoked by anyone having a different opinion than him. His behaviour in the comment field is downright pathetic. 

Indeed. I don't think I will lend any more credibility to RPS after reading any of that.

Edited by Chyron

I regularly read RPS and have developed very mixed feelings on John Walker. I used to see him as just a relentlessly negative ass hat, but the fact is he's extremely positive just as often as he is extremely negative. It's the "extremely" part that gets him into trouble. Not so much in the positive department, because nobody minds extreme positivity. (Lord knows gaming culture could use a bit more of that.) His extremeness when he doesn't like something, though, is pretty hard to watch.

I mean, his opinion of Telltale and the games they produce is actually probably pretty consistent with what I've seen a lot of ye former Telltalies express, which is that Telltale used to be good, but then everyone there who was good left, and now it sucks. Or maybe it already kind of sucked and that's WHY they left. Either way, Telltale has an impressive knack for not understanding what they are doing right and/or learning the wrong lessons from their successes.

He kinda goes on a mini-tiff about it in his recent glowing praise for Oxenfree:

I don’t want to be a dick about this, but I think it’s pretty important to say how Oxenfree really demonstrates how hacky and half-arsed is the majority of what churns out from Telltale. The script is written by Adam Hines, who was the lead writer for Telltale’s only not-awful recent series, Tales From The Borderlands. And just like how their losing The Walking Dead’s Sean Vanaman to see him co-create Firewatch, losing Hines suggests they’re simply not able to facilitate their top talent to unleash their creative best. Because Oxenfree takes those key elements of those Telltale games – dialogue choice defining progress, character relationships adaptable to the decisions the player makes, story ruling over puzzle – and shows you how they can be bloody masterful.

This one quote pretty much epitomizes everything you need to know about John Walker:

If John Walker enjoyed your game: YOU ARE THE MESSIAH. WOW. HERE ARE ALL THE AWARDS. SOMEONE LIQUIFY AND BOTTLE THE ESSENCE OF THIS GAME SO THAT I CAN DRINK IT WHILE I PLAY IT, AND THEN WHEN I'M PISSING MYSELF WITH JOY I WILL BE PISSING MORE OF THE GAME ALL OVER MYSELF THAT IS HOW MUCH I ENJOY IT.

If John Walker did not enjoy your game: This is the worst f***ing pile of sh** garbage I have ever played in my life. What were they thinking? Are they stupid? I can only assume they are stupid. Every moment I spent with this festering trash heap I just wanted it to be over. Not just the game, but all of it. I just wanted to be put out of my misery. That's how utterly unenjoyable this turd was. Oh you disagree? Think I'm being too harsh? Well suck my d**k. I'm right.

Edited by Anemone

To be honest, I thought Batman turned out to be decently alright. Although keep in mind, that's coming from a Batman fan who enjoyed it more for bringing a few new twists to a Batman mythos, and enjoyed seeing a Batman that has his emotions and kind nature to innocents being brought further to the forefront, rather than Arkham and Injustice's Batman that's just constantly grumpy all of the time, even towards his teammates. 

The gameplay still kind of sucked though, at least in my opinion.

I must say, I've seldom read Walker pieces, but he experienced the same thing playing The Walking Dead Season 2: I really couldn't be bothered to finish it. It's obvious that his beefs lie with the zombie genre in general and Telltale's type of games specifically. So no way he can get to a balanced judgement here, and he makes that clear from minute one. But in retelling his experience, he does describe mine just as well:

Hammer at Q, press E. Wait eight minutes. Choose to say one thing rather than another thing that someone will “remember” (which is to say, later vaguely allude to it as the exact same events that would have happened either way play out). Wait four minutes. Press right, press E, press down. Wait seven minutes. Get told to walk forward for literally six steps, then sit back again as it takes over. Then a short sequence where you “look at” three interactive spots in a room, where for some reason the game only shows the character’s face doing the looking, rather than the thing he or she is looking at, and then wish for the biting chomp of the undead to take you away from all this.

Interpreting Telltale's TWD as a child torture simulator, that's the prerogative of the father of two young children, and the thought isn't new as well. Compelling arguments can be made to show one of the most beloved characters from the first two Seasons as a deeply abusive asshole.

With both of his main beefs, I agree.

I've seen more merit in Season One than Walker, that much is certain, but then again, Sean and Jake deviated from the source material a whole lot – with e.g. off screen main character deaths that the hardcore fans couldn't fathom – so much in fact that they didn't ask the question that TWD now is exclusively about, i.e. what inhumanity do you choose to survive. That was always clear for Lee Everett, protect Clementine at all costs, with his own survival only the second thought. That was a moral pillar the game centered about and one I could, though sometimes with difficulty, relate to.

Say what you will about the "tone" of the review or the reviewer's often polarized viewpoints: I can relate to his subjective feelings as well as his objective arguments, hence I feel this is a successful review.

u4XgRNv.png

:(

(This is on top of the three episode DLC they also made last year...)

Edited by Blind Sniper

I gave up hope for anything that I consider "good", years ago.

The whole interactive movie thing hasn't been doing it for me.  I felt Batman was a wasted opportunity, to be honest.  Too many QTEs for one thing.  The worst part was the decision to make most of them pointless for the sake of fluidity.  The parts of the game which were detective-based, were ruined by making almost every interactive object useful and, like Jurassic Park, turned the "puzzles" into "which order am I clicking things".

This story-driven concept is destroying the company for me.

I liked The Wolf Among Us quite a lot, but it would have been better as a movie or a three part miniseries. The "game" aspect of it was minimal, and mostly underwhelming. The episodic aspect didn't work for me either, as the wait between episodes was too long.

I'll probably buy it if the reviews are good, but after all the episodes are released.

The Walking Dead Season 4 will be the final season.  How will it end?

10 minutes ago, epic said:

The Walking Dead Season 4 will be the final season.  How will it end?

They made sure to specify that it was the final season of the current story arc.

It will end with everything being in the imagination of Clementine's mother as she died.

What the heck! I just randomly found out that for the 30th anniversary Telltale rereleased the BTTF game on consoles with newly recorded Tom Wilson voices?? Is this available on PC as well? Please don't tell me no....I already despise Telltale enough as it is.

Nope.

The game initially released on PC, PS3 and iOS.  The releases for PS4, XB360, XB1 have the new voice.

It wasn't actually re-released.

9 hours ago, Johro said:

Nope.

Are you sure?

Initially, Earl Boen's LeChuck was only available on physical copies of Tales of Monkey Island. But at some point, they unceremoniously replaced the voice in the digital PC version as well. (I know only because I at one point checked.)

So I'd bet money that Telltale will do the same with the digital PC version of Back to the Future.

Reading up more on this, they toted the rerelease as a remaster. The copies they offer for download on PC aren't the remaster. With TOMI it was just a matter of swapping voice files, this is probably a whole different ball game being a brand new version of the game.

Screw Telltale.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

9 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Reading up more on this, they toted the rerelease as a remaster. The copies they offer for download on PC aren't the remaster. With TOMI it was just a matter of swapping voice files, this is probably a whole different ball game being a brand new version of the game.

That assumes the remaster isn't and/or won't be available on Steam or TTG's  web store, which I doubt.

Again, I bet it will become available, but they will make very little ceremony about it.

Edited by Chyron

... It's been 2 years.  I don't think it's going to happen, man.  This isn't like TOMI, Telltale has moved on, sequel cancelled, TWD up and out every orifice.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:17 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Screw Telltale.

I've got the BTTF 30th Anniversary Edition - it's a shame that Telltale won't release the Tom Wilson audio on PC and Mac too. It really is a lot better with Tom Wilson as Biff. I wonder if it would be possible to use the Telltale translation tools that are available to replace each line of Kid Beyond's Biff with Tom Wilson's lines.  I'd imagine if it were possible, it could be released as a patch (or perhaps as a batch file that automatically runs the required tools, like the Monkey Island Talkie editions that LogicDeluxe created).

You'd need a way to get at the speech files themselves. And PCs won't read console discs like that AFAIK.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:05 PM, Johro said:

... It's been 2 years.  I don't think it's going to happen, man.  This isn't like TOMI, Telltale has moved on, sequel cancelled, TWD up and out every orifice.

Was there ever even a second season in development in the first place?

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

Was there ever even a second season in development in the first place?

Christopher Lloyd did say he was going to be in another Telltale game.  But, I'm thinking that was supposed to be Poker Night 2, since they stated they were thinking about using Doc Brown until they got licenses that didn't mesh with the PG rating of that franchise.

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

You'd need a way to get at the speech files themselves. And PCs won't read console discs like that AFAIK.

I know there are utilities that can extract the speech files from within Telltale's ttarch format. I think there are utilities to import speech as well, but I'm not positive.  

I'm pretty sure there are utilities to extract Xbox 360 files from a disc.  That'd probably be the best bet out of the three, since the other systems use Blu-Ray discs, and Blu-Ray readers for PC aren't too popular (and I'm not aware of any program that reads the drive on PC for these consoles anyway).

32 minutes ago, Jenni said:

Christopher Lloyd did say he was going to be in another Telltale game.  But, I'm thinking that was supposed to be Poker Night 2, since they stated they were thinking about using Doc Brown until they got licenses that didn't mesh with the PG rating of that franchise.

I actually still play Poker Night 2. If a third one came along, I'd be down for it.

I was honestly hoping that's what the recent announcement was going to be.

As far as BttF2 goes:  If they did start development, it didn't get past the writing stage.  We didn't really know until after TWD that they even seriously planned for it and at that point, it was done with.

BTTF is a terrible adventure game. Its only saving grace is the story which is great and was written in consultation with and received blessing by Bob Gale. That's the only reason I care. I care nothing for Telltale or anything they make otherwise. And if they actually made a BTTF2 game and it had the annoying timed dialogue choice sequences everywhere, I wouldn't play it.

I recently gave a copy of Minecraft Story Mode a go on the Wii U and I couldn't believe it when I saw those same dialogue sequences there. What does that have to do with Minecraft?? Is that really what kids are looking for in a Minecraft Story Mode? That Story Mode title carries a lot of weight and is quite misleading. It makes it sound like Minecraft's gameplay but with story. But this is just another post-TMI Telltale game with Minecraft window dressing. It should just be called Minecraft: A Telltale Series like the rest of them.

Alright I'm done now. Exiting thread.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

On 8/18/2017 at 9:32 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

I recently gave a copy of Minecraft Story Mode a go on the Wii U and I couldn't believe it when I saw those same dialogue sequences there. What does that have to do with Minecraft?? Is that really what kids are looking for in a Minecraft Story Mode? That Story Mode title carries a lot of weight and is quite misleading. It makes it sound like Minecraft's gameplay but with story. But this is just another post-TMI Telltale game with Minecraft window dressing. It should just be called Minecraft: A Telltale Series like the rest of them.

My 6 year old nephew loves Minecraft: Story Mode.  He can't really handle Minecraft yet, since he has a real short expansion span, so building would make him bored quickly. He even has troubles staying focused on some of the puzzles in Story Mode.  He just likes the characters and the world, since he watches the kids playing it on YouTube.

I'm talking about kids who are already playing Minecraft and know what it is. To them "Story Mode" wouldn't seem anything like Minecraft. And I know because my kids found it utterly boring. It's just another Telltale game with a Minecraft coat of paint. It's not Minecraft Story Mode, it's Telltale: Minecraft Skin Pack.

Apparently, PewDiePie got a takedown notice for one of his Firewatch streams because he said n****r. I was sort of only half paying attention to the story (because I don't care for Pewds' content) until I read that it is Sean Vanaman (formerly of TTG) who founded the developer in question.

https://kotaku.com/indie-dev-calls-for-copyright-strikes-against-pewdiepie-1803099736

Game developer Sean Vanaman announced on social media today that Campo Santo, the studio behind the indie game Firewatch, will be filing a takedown against Felix “Pewdiepie” Kjellberg on YouTube over footage featuring their latest game, as well any future releases. This came hours after widely circulated footage showed Kjellberg say the n-word while streaming an online shooter.

“There is a bit of leeway you have to have with the internet when u wake up every day and make video games,” Vanaman wrote on Twitter. “There’s also a breaking point.”

Vanaman appeared to be reacting to the latest controversy surrounding the YouTube star, as this afternoon, a clip in which Kjellberg called a Battlegrounds player the n-word spread widely on message boards and social media. “What a f***ing n-” Kjellberg said, while killing an opponent. “Sorry, but what the f***. What a f***ing asshole.”

Campo Santo declined to comment when asked by Kotaku if Vanaman was responding directly to the video clip, but Vanaman’s tweets are pretty clear. “He’s worse than a closeted racist: he’s a propagator of despicable garbage that does real damage to the culture around this industry,” Vanaman wrote.

Previously, Kjellberg uploaded a full playthrough of Firewatch that has been viewed 5.7 million times on YouTube, and in the description for that 2016 video, he calls it “a wonderful story driven game.” If Campo Santo goes forward with its plan, the Digital Rights Millennium Act would be invoked to protect their copyright over Firewatch, meaning the video could be taken down. UPDATE 7:28 PM: the video is currently unavailable.

Kjellberg did not respond to a request for comment, but has been in the spotlight over the last year for a number of contentious reasons, including jokes about Jewish people, ironically embracing nazi references, and tussles with mainstream media. This latest flare-up is actually not the first time Kjellberg has said the n-word on his channel. Actually, on YouTube, hearing a personality with a large following say the n-word isn’t particularly out of the ordinary. The Battlegrounds community is also permissive here: players sometimes scream the n-word before matches start, and in some cases, offensive antics are considered a spectacle by viewers.

“I am sick of this child getting more and more chances to make money off of what we make,” Vanaman wrote on Twitter.

Vanaman also urged other developers to do the same, stating that he would “be reaching out to folks much larger than us to cut him off from the content that has made him a millionaire.”

EDIT: I've removed the video of PDP saying that word. People can easily find it on YouTube with a quick search if they want to see it - TG

Edited by TimeGentleman