Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

To the uninformed, "marketplace realities" was the reason LucasArts gave for cancelling their Sam & Max: Freelance Police adventure game.

Edited by Chyron

It's a shame that the sudden fame got to Kevin Bruner's head. Conversely, I'm glad that Dan Connors was mentioned as being a decent guy. He always seemed genuinely nice whenever he popped into the forum back before Telltale got huge.

Now that Kevin's out, and the environment there is less hectic and the staff is less creatively stifled, I'm really excited to see their game play changes. I haven't really played a Telltale game in a while, even though I used to be a massive fan. I have Minecraft Season Two, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Batman Season Two just sitting on my Steam account and I really haven't had much motivation to play them. I'm glad they're now given some creative freedom, so hopefully they can pull out of the slump they've gotten themselves into with the repetitive gameplay.

There was a post by AlfredJ in the comments at the International House of Mojo that summed up my thoughts on Telltale too:

Back in the day, even with their limited budget, it felt that almost every new game would twist the formula to fit the vibe of the world they were presenting - Strong Bad had the goofy collectibles and arcade games, Puzzle Agent went for an entirely different puzzle style, Monkey Island went deep into the season wide story arcs and added inventory combinations, etc. Sometimes big changes, sometimes small, but every game felt unique and had its own creative voice while still fitting in their Telltale style.

Hopefully something good comes out of this. I'd love to enjoy a Telltale game again.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jenni said:

Hopefully something good comes out of this. I'd love to enjoy a Telltale game again.

God, me too. Me tooooo. :x

The Verge article is giving substance to what a lot of us felt and suspected for many years. Maybe a bit of a cheap move by Farokhmanesh to point at just one responsible person at the end, but at the very least she's putting the whole case file into a background of woes that the entire industry suffers from. Telltale, with its episodic game structure and therewith perpetual crunch time, has always been an extended cautionary tale of sorts. At least now we have that in writing.

And, honestly, not just Telltale should take note.

These conditions almost always hit one group the hardest: developers, or the people who actually make the games. Layoffs are a pervasive fact of life, even at successful studios where developers are often hired en masse to help hit tight deadlines and then fired to cut costs after the game ships or is canceled. With the next deadline, the cycle begins anew.

I e. g. see this kind of company strategy at work at Double Fine just as well (or at least saw it at work during the time the DFA was produced). This is horrifying. It must stop, and that may be particularly difficult in the US game industry.

I must say, I don't really see how something good can come from all of this. Telltale won't change course, won't try something different. I guess for six years now they've been trying to remix the TWD formula into something that clicks with their audience just as well. The company has become increasingly more risk-averse. What kind of 180 can they pull off in this situation?

Wishing them all the best, though of course now none of my heroes still remain there.

They're all gone, each and every one.

By the way, I've checked the Telltale forums and there's of course a thread on the same article. However, the contributions to that thread are surprisingly balanced. Something you'd expect from an adult community. I'm impressed.

Edited by Vainamoinen

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

They're all gone, each and every one.

Mark Darin is still there. He did some amazing design work during Telltale's early years. He's leading the final season of Telltale's The Walking Dead. I doubt that episode 1 and 2 will be much different than what came before, since going by past comments by Telltale's designers, the design document for those episodes are probably locked in now. It would be great if Telltale gave him more leeway for the remaining season though. I'd love to see what Mark Darin could come up with in the universe of The Walking Dead if he had creative freedom to make the game his way.

I doubt they'd give him complete freedom, considering the IP, but hopefully they can give him enough to noticeably leave his mark on the game.

The need an original IP or something less constricting.  I really feel for their creativity.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jenni said:

Mark Darin is still there.

Ooooops my bad. That's actually the only Telltaler I've ever met in person! And, yes, nicest guy in existence. I don't quite remember our chat any more, the only thing I do remember is that eventually I said something casually yet wildly inappropriate about his hands and henceforth was too embarrassed to speak any further.

Oh shoot, now I wish Campo Santo hired him. :|

Edited by Vainamoinen

I haven't played one of their games since Walking Dead Season Two, which I really enjoyed. I just never got around to Lost Frontier, then started hearing incredibly mixed reactions to it. I'll probably grab it soon, so I can dive into the final season. They kind of pulled me back in by saying it would be the end of Clementine's story. I played the first episode of Borderlands and thought the writing was actually better than the main Borderlands games, but never got around to finishing it.

I just want them to drastically rebuild their engine. Preferably from scratch. Or just license Unreal or Unity. They've been using the same engine for over a decade now. It's showed it's age a long, long time ago.

3 hours ago, Leroy Octopus said:

I haven't played one of their games since Walking Dead Season Two, which I really enjoyed. I just never got around to Lost Frontier, then started hearing incredibly mixed reactions to it. I'll probably grab it soon, so I can dive into the final season. They kind of pulled me back in by saying it would be the end of Clementine's story. I played the first episode of Borderlands and thought the writing was actually better than the main Borderlands games, but never got around to finishing it.

I just want them to drastically rebuild their engine. Preferably from scratch. Or just license Unreal or Unity. They've been using the same engine for over a decade now. It's showed it's age a long, long time ago.

They're moving to Unity in the near future.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jenni said:

Kevin Bruner's head.

Good band name.

12 hours ago, Blind Sniper said:

Campo Santo just got bought out by Valve, so Jake and Sean essentially had a career trajectory of going from Telltale to Valve. Quite impressive!

https://kotaku.com/sources-valve-buys-firewatch-developer-campo-santo-1825445890

I thought it was really impressive going from Telltale to winning their independence as a game developer with the release of just one game. Seeking the coat tails of Valve, you can imagine, doesn't at all seem impressive to me. In fact, it's a huge leap back. And of course, that GOG cooperation is surely nixed. So that's it for In the Valley of the Gods, a Valve game™. I guess I'll just rip up all that unfinished fan art. Damn it, I loved those guys!