Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

So, Mr Schafer has decided I am no a spam bot!

*waves*

I heard horror stories about the wait to actually post something, and when I tried to join just after DFA's kickstarter ended I simply COULDN'T even after trying at it for a solid couple days, so I was surprised when the whole process took less than five minutes for me personally this time around.

We used to get insane amounts of spambots here. Hence the crazy protections they put up. Some of the spam could be pretty funny though. Actually, it was more us responding to the spammers that was funny.

Okay, so here's how things went down. The previous incarnation of the Telltale website was created around six years ago. Unfortunately, after Doug Tabacco left the company, there wasn't really anyone left who knew how to properly manage the backend of the website. This caused a lot of things to fall apart and not work correctly after a few years. On top of that, there was a downtime every night that lasted at least an hour and usually more like four. The site was in bad shape and in need of replacement. We were all eagerly waiting a new site. Boy, did that come back to bite us.

Wow, was it really up to four hours? That downtime system was a really quick hack for db backups that was definitely not scalable. I'm sad it lasted that long without someone investing in a proper replication system for the database.

You can't talk about spam without posting a Monty Python video! It's like the law or something.

vBulletin seems to be the best forum software. I'm not sure why some sites have moved away from it in the past year or two.

Are there security concerns with vBulletin?

vBulletin seems to be the best forum software. I'm not sure why some sites have moved away from it in the past year or two.

vBulletin's licensing got weird with version 4. And honestly, at this point, I'm much happier with IP.Board (which we use for Idle Thumbs). From the admin side, it's easier to use, and it has better SSO support should we need it (the SSO in the telltale forums was a hack based on reverse-engineering vB's auth code). But also it retains the more manageable "Buy once, then pay maintenance for upgrades" licensing of vB from the Jelsoft days.

If you're fighting about spam you need to understand it and the only way to do that is to know its history...

So, Mr Schafer has decided I am no a spam bot!

*waves*

Boop boop

Greetings human.

I am indeed no spambot.

I've been wondering what the difference is between "a massive crush" and being in love. PzGxpjS.gif

I've been wondering what the difference is between "a massive crush" and being in love. PzGxpjS.gif
Was that something a spambot said on the TTG forums? We always just got obama air jordans! The sickest kind of air jordans around.

Was that something a spambot said on the TTG forums? We always just got obama air jordans! The sickest kind of air jordans around.
'twas indeed. One said it, then others copied it, and it kinda became a thing with us.

Ah, good times.

Wow, was it really up to four hours? That downtime system was a really quick hack for db backups that was definitely not scalable. I'm sad it lasted that long without someone investing in a proper replication system for the database.

Wow, I haven't seen you post about Telltale site issues in YEARS. Déjà vu is so strong here I'm getting vertigo!

Was that something a spambot said on the TTG forums?

The largest thread on TTG was the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread, basically the TTG forum version of Everybody Get Random. The first post in that thread was the "massive crush" thing, without any emoticons or anything.

YEARS later, spambots started to post in the Whatever thread, copying that exact post, usually adding the same "Please" emoticon to the end. Because it had been SO LONG, the first few actually had a couple users trying to re-answer the question, which was amusing the first couple times.

Then the bots just kept coming.

Wow, I haven't seen you post about Telltale site issues in YEARS. Déjà vu is so strong here I'm getting vertigo!

I post about site issues on the Thumbs forums now :)

I used to be an admin and then co-leader for a clan on Runescape (it's an MMORPG). We used IPB (Invision Power Board). The full blown version, not InvisionFree.

I liked it a whole lot. Way easier to add forum plugins to and more intuitive admin tools than vBulletin.

Don't use InvisionFree. It sucks.

By "used to be an admin/leader", I mean I was until attendance just fizzled out to the point that we disbanded. Since then, the clan re-formed with many of the old members, but they're a warring clan, and I have a real life now that prevents me from attending clan events.

I post about site issues on the Thumbs forums now :)

All right, aaaaall right. No one on the TTG forums tell the TWD fans that Doug's posting here.

'twas indeed. One said it, then others copied it, and it kinda became a thing with us.

Get your history straight, eager nostalgic traitor. The first poster was Avistev, and she ain't no spambot!

Get your history straight, eager nostalgic traitor. The first poster was Avistev, and she ain't no spambot!That's not what I heard...

Are you secretly spying on us?

No, I'm doing it the American way, with a proper introduction on page 1 and no shame at all.

Hey everyone. I come back to the TT forums on Tuesday, and.... uh.

I actually cannot read them. As the TTers know, I have some eye issues. And the new site doesn't scale!

So I guess I'll chill here until the mess blows over.

I actually cannot read them. As the TTers know, I have some eye issues. And the new site doesn't scale!

You've given the web team fair warning, that's for certain. Isn't there anything the NoSquint Firefox plugin could do for you?

You've given the web team fair warning, that's for certain. Isn't there anything the NoSquint Firefox plugin could do for you?

I know. It was one of the first things I commented on when they had the moderator beta. But, hm.

Also, I don't use Firefox. And the Chrome enlarger pushes things off the screen, like in the mobile site, because the toolbar doesn't move.

Okay, okay, I'm here too now. Yay!

This also means that I'll start playing more Double Fine games at some point in the future, when I get a better PC (donations are welcome).

Wow, this is the first time I've seen anyone offer any explanation whatsoever for the downtime. That clears things up a bit.

Yeah, the site would go down at around 1:15 am Pacific every night. If you were lucky, you might catch a brief window where it worked half an hour after that. Then it'd be down again for at least another half hour. After that, it was always hit and miss until around 5-6 am, with miss being the more likely. Sometimes it'd instantly give a database error, sometimes it'd just try to load for a few minutes and then give up. It was no fun for night owls and Europeans.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen anyone offer any explanation whatsoever for the downtime. That clears things up a bit.

Yeah, the site would go down at around 1:15 am Pacific every night. If you were lucky, you might catch a brief window where it worked half an hour after that. Then it'd be down again for at least another half hour. After that, it was always hit and miss until around 5-6 am, with miss being the more likely. Sometimes it'd instantly give a database error, sometimes it'd just try to load for a few minutes and then give up. It was no fun for night owls and Europeans.

The original idea was, because we didn't have a second server to replicate mysql to, we had to stop mysqld to get a consistent nightly backup. At the time it was pretty quick (maybe 15 minutes) so we sort of called it 'okay for now' and moved on. From what you described, I'm guessing other stuff has been tacked into that time window, because the original backup job pretty much did "stop apache, start lighttpd (which served the downtime page), mysqldump, stop lighttpd, start apache". Not exactly elegant, but it worked okay.

Okay, so I'm double posting at Double Fine (pr not, because you guys type FAST). I'm not sure how much of a shootable offense that is. Let me introduce myself!

I was(am?) a moderator over at Telltale for about 2 years, started volunteering the same time as Guru. Actually, I was asked to mod the day I fled Japan after the Tohoku earthquake (I went to school in Hachioji, and was actually in a train car that got derailed when it hit. Luckily, I was uninjured other than shock and a few bruises, but that's another story).

Anyway, I stopped modding back in late March/early April to finish my Master's thesis. I was going to come back immediately thereafter, but I moved across the USA, got a full time job, and settled in. Once I felt that I was financially secure and with a proper place to reside, I came back to Telltale on Tuesday.

I missed all of you guys and was stoked to see everyone again.... but the new forums are physically impossible for me to navigate.

Griping aside, I am excited to see all of you here, there, or somewhere in between.

Feel free to nag me on STEAM, name's divisionten or division-ten. I can never remember with these things.

Also, also, I turn 26 in 2 weeks, so that's exciting. I bought myself a 3DS as an early birthday present, so if anyone is planning on getting Pokemon X or Y. friend me!

Wow. Tons more Telltale people are here since yesterday. Welcome! :)

Has this at least changed now?

I had so many Yikes errors in the time until I left. I can't imagine how many there are on a normal day.

cupw.png

Why yes, it has! Now I can freely browse the new unusable forum at 3 am!