Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Now you did it. They are going to make an animated gif out of that and post it until the official end of internet forums. :)

Bracing for impact! ;)

It's just, while I enjoy these games, I don't enjoy them as much as TTG's old games and I seriously don't agree with how much they keep trying to claim it's a massive progression on Adventure Games because when the gameplay keeps getting more and more limited to QTE's then I begin to consider it as an interactive movie more.

Coincidentally, this was another thing that came up at the GDC panel earlier this week: http://www.gamesradar.com/developer-telltale-games-doesnt-care-if-its-products-are-called-games-or-not/

Kevin and Dan were also coming out with some SUPER interesting anecdotes while prepping for their PAX East session, stuff that was unknown to even me and Job after having worked with these guys for years... kinda gave me a different perspective on the company's history and current trajectory. I'd definitely recommend checking out the session if you're at PAX East or if it's streamed. If it's anything like the conversations I heard, it should be pretty fun. Probably also embarrassing!

One thing is for certain, I'm pretty sure Telltale didn't expect things to turn around on that large of a scale. Personally, I wish the games included a little more interactivity nowadays, but I still like both gameplay styles though.

Both of the panels so far were interesting and really gave a lot of perspective on Telltale's history.

As much as I do not like the games they are producing now, I would trade all that negativity in if they did another Sam & Max. Even if it does end up being a messed up hybrid, them, using all their popularity to introduce a new generation to these types of games, would be amazing. I'm beyond the point of "hope" that they ever make a traditional P+C again. That ship has sailed.

They do need to fix the issue of their jerry-rigged engine though. The biggest complaint even the fans have is the engine issues and it leaves us old folks explaining why there are so many issues with their new games.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid at all actually. Something like The Devil's Playhouse with their current choice model would work perfectly, especially if they went the Wolf Among Us route and had choices to go where the action happened in the other location no matter which one you chose (the choice where you go with Sam & Max would of course be more full of destruction than the place you chose not to visit).

I actually think they could have a lot of fun it, blending classic Telltale with modern Telltale, and would love to see it.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid at all actually. Something like The Devil's Playhouse with their current choice model would work perfectly, especially if they went the Wolf Among Us route and had choices to go where the action happened in the other location no matter which one you chose (the choice where you go with Sam & Max would of course be more full of destruction than the place you chose not to visit).

I actually think they could have a lot of fun it, blending classic Telltale with modern Telltale, and would love to see it.

Yeah, I agree. As I said before, I think that using the context sensitive Inventory system from Telltale's newer games (instead of using items directly from your inventory, you have the option to use an item when looking around in the environment) with less abstract/more logical and contextual puzzles (kind of like the Toys of Power puzzles in Devil's Playhouse) would make for a fantastic hybrid of the old and new gameplay styles combined.

Heck, if Telltale could make an "immersion" mode with more hubs/general interactivity and the return of puzzles (or whatever else fits the source material), and a "cinematic" mode that plays out like Telltale's current format, that would be even better!

Not sure if you guys were aware of this or not, but Jared Emerson-Johnson has a "Vault" section where he is uploading various songs from the OST of classic Telltale titles onto SoundCloud. It's a great way to indulge in some Telltale nostalgia. (Sure, there is always Telltale Music Extractor, but I think I recall hearing that he went back and remastered some of the songs to where they would be suitable to be listened to on their own, as opposed to being looped for the game).

http://www.jaredemersonjohnson.com/the-vault/

So that's how they sustain their peculiar eating habits:

Overheard at TTG: "We just need to figure out how to infantilize him in a very specific way".

Source

EDIT: I realize the joke is a bit of a stretch, and isn't as funny as it sounded in my head. Sorry about that.

Not sure if you guys were aware of this or not, but Jared Emerson-Johnson has a "Vault" section where he is uploading various songs from the OST of classic Telltale titles onto SoundCloud. It's a great way to indulge in some Telltale nostalgia. (Sure, there is always Telltale Music Extractor, but I think I recall hearing that he went back and remastered some of the songs to where they would be suitable to be listened to on their own, as opposed to being looped for the game).

http://www.jaredemersonjohnson.com/the-vault/

Today, Jared put up a bunch of songs from Episode 301 of Sam and Max. I'm bringing this up as I recall reading that some were disappointed the soundtrack for Season 3 was never released.

I know it doesn't really matter much, but it would make me very happy to see Telltale lose in this contest. They're currently dominating Monolith, inexplicably.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/21/

Telltale beat Valve? Pffffft. Get outta my house with that sh**.

and Nintendo was beat out by Monolith, so forget that nonsense.

Go.... oh I dunno. Maybe Bioware could take them down.

Today, Jared put up a bunch of songs from Episode 301 of Sam and Max. I'm bringing this up as I recall reading that some were disappointed the soundtrack for Season 3 was never released.

Wooo! :D \o/

Telltale beat Valve? Pffffft. Get outta my house with that sh**.

Say about the quality of Telltale's releases whatever you want, but Telltale in fact has releases going on. So, yeah, of course.

So I decided to look through the forum games on TTG and there is now 23 pages of them. The problem? They really don't qualify as forum games. In fact, the majority of them are role play threads.

I don't see your problem. Telltale world domination is obviously still a few years off. ;)

Well now I'm hoping for a poker night 3 now that the Hulk is a possibility.

I know a lot of people hate the game (Rather Dashing hates it especially) but I like Back to the Future The Game. Alright, sure the puzzles weren't anything on Monkey Island or Sam & Max level of greatness but I did really like the story in it (except the ending, that was a anti-climatic way to end the series) but TTG really did do a brilliant job making it feel exactly like the movies, from the interactions from the characters to all the references and more.

Plus, I felt that if the gameplay had been expanded on, we would have a really good balance for both the old and new fans of TTG. Have more hard puzzles on the lines of Sam & Max and Monkey Island for the old fans but include the very detailed hint system featured in BTTF The Game along with the Story So Far option so that then they'd still be able to have a good time with the game. It's a shame TTG just fucked the entire thing up and decided to make every game onwards into an Interactive movie.

They can call it whatever bullshit name they want, but it's more or less a interactive movie, even lasting about 90 minutes to 120 minutes at this point per episode, the average running time of a movie

For anybody who might be keen, Game Club is finishing up with the first episode of Telltale's second Sam & Max season, Ice Station Santa in about 8 hours. We've got Dave Grossman, Heather Logas and Jared Emerson-Johnson joining us.

It's a text chat thing, so everybody can join in. We hang out in #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net, but if that sounds like gibberish, there's a chat widget over here.

There will be chat logs, so anybody who can't make it, but is still interested can find those here.

The latest sidequest made me interested in taking a look at Puzzle Agent. What are people's opinions of that game?

The latest sidequest made me interested in taking a look at Puzzle Agent. What are people's opinions of that game?

The first one is better than the second.

It's a very stylish Professor Layton-style game. If you're in it for the art, both games will suffice, they're excellent at capturing the style used in Graham Annable's Grickle comics and shorts.

Tt5lB-RoAi4

Personally, I recommend it.

Also: The game frequently dips to 99 cents when on sale.

Hmmm, I haven't played Professor Layton, but I'm generally not a big fan of those types of puzzles. I hated that shit in Machinarium for example.

This depresses me. At least it would if I weren't in the perfect mood to hear this news - ie: pretty drunk.

I have never given a crap about The Walking Dead. The only reason I even played any of it was so that I could properly moderate the [del]forums[/del]COMMUNITY, and the minute that was no longer necessary I abandoned the thing. I didn't enjoy it and I never want to touch the thing again.

What baffles me though is the fact that Telltale can't seem to move on. They've got several other successful games going on - why do they have to keep going with TWD? Why can't they do something more original? And weren't they doing something with Marvel? Who gives a damn about more Walking Dead when they've got a MARVEL game in the works? That's (not) literally a money-printing device! Why do they need more?

This depresses me. At least it would if I weren't in the perfect mood to hear this news - ie: pretty drunk.

I have never given a crap about The Walking Dead. The only reason I even played any of it was so that I could properly moderate the [del]forums[/del]COMMUNITY, and the minute that was no longer necessary I abandoned the thing. I didn't enjoy it and I never want to touch the thing again.

What baffles me though is the fact that Telltale can't seem to move on. They've got several other successful games going on - why do they have to keep going with TWD? Why can't they do something more original? And weren't they doing something with Marvel? Who gives a damn about more Walking Dead when they've got a MARVEL game in the works? That's (not) literally a money-printing device! Why do they need more?

Because it's a cash cow franchise?

I mean, even as a person who liked The Walking Dead, the fucking story didn't need to continue past Season 2 and even then, all of Season 2's endings sucked horribly, along with the fact that the writers of TWD Season 2 managed to make almost every single character into unlikeable pricks makes me hate the fact they're doing this.

I mean forget Marvel, they have a fucking Minecraft game in development. Say what you want about Minecraft and how a story is going to be extremely hard to make from it but Minecraft is one of the most popular things out there right now, both that, Marvel, and even Game of Thrones should be giving them much more money than TWD at this point.

I seriously wish they'd announce a Back to the Future Season 2. At least that story ended on a cliffhanger, and it's 30th anniversary would at least give a reason for it. I'd prefer Strong Bad, Sam and Max, or any of the other better ones but at this point, Back to the Future is probably the only one we'd even get a chance to get.

Just saw that Telltale has built a new video studio. If this means what I think it means, I am thoroughly glad for them. The oddly ethically sketchy way they let IGN do their TWD promo videos had to stop one day, and not just because the presenter of the Season 1 "Playing Dead" vids had a much larger fanbase than this Miller guy. :)