Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Firewatch looks interesting. From a gameplay perspective, it doesn't look thrilling in the traditional gamey sense. It appears to be upping the ante on the "walking simulator" genre (cf Dear Esther, Gone Home, etc). I'm fine with that, if the exploration, dialogue, and story are good.

Although I'm not super thrilled with them using the old game cliche of a second character who sees your every move and talks to you over an omnipresent speaker/camera system, they at least contextualized that old cliche in a way that has it make a little more sense than usual.

Anyone else getting an Alan Wake sort of vibe there at the end? Stranded in the wooded mountains.... watch towers... type writers... spookiness... oOoOooh...

I didn't like the protagonist voice at first, but he grew on me. I liked both voices, but I thought the space between them seemed weird at first. The female character sounded more like typical voice acting whereas the male character seemed more natural... neither of them bad... it just at first seemed like the voice acting equivalent of hollywood talking to home movies. But like I said, it grew on me and didn't seem weird anymore after a minute. Still way better than the type of VO/dialogue we usually get.

Main character looks a bit more cartoony than I expected. He's got... like.. Wreck It Ralph hands kinda...

I AM INTRIGUED

Thanks Vain. I knew of Campo Santo, but nothing about the game. Those 17 minutes... damn.

Oh, I hear you thinking: Can I throw the boombox in the lake? The answer, of course, is yes. :)

Anyone else getting an Alan Wake sort of vibe there at the end? Stranded in the wooded mountains.... watch towers... type writers... spookiness... oOoOooh...

Yes of course. Mystery's a big part of this.

Warren Spector got a blog post published on Gamasutra earlier this week, where he argues that what Telltale Games makes aren't games but interactive movies. It contains this illustrative description of how he perceives their recent works:

Without meaning to disparage anything or anyone in any way, I often describe the Telltale (or David Cage) approach as jamming several movie scripts together and, then, refining those scripts so they intertwine with one another to give the illusion of player choice, rather than the reality of it.

Thought that might be of interest to some here. I haven't played any of those games, so I don't really have an opinion of my own on the subject, but I thought it was an interesting read.

Warren Spector got a blog post published on Gamasutra earlier this week.

The title of the article is "Telltale May Not Make Games, But They Do Make Magic".

I thought it should be: "Telltale May Not Make Games, But They Do Make Money".

Alright guys. Time to fess up to something horrible.

I never played Sam & Max. Still haven't played Hector: Badge of Carnage.

I never played Sam & Max.

Any of them?!

Any of them?!

None of them.

They do take patience as they are one of the series that rewards you for doing things "wrong". So entertaining.

Any of them?!

None of them.

But...but...we accepted you as one of us!

Any of them?!

None of them.

You talk a lot about movies and books, but have you even played a video game at all? :coolhmm:

I'm going to guess that NoName has at least played every single Batman game ever made..!

I just never got around to it. I know they got seasons 2 and 3 available on Mac, but I'm hesitant to give Telltale any more of my money.

Well I did play Tales of Monkey Island and Wallace and Gromit.

You talk a lot about movies and books, but have you even played a video game at all? :coolhmm:

I game all the time. If you saw the size of the stack I keep next to my Xbox and PS3, you'd be surprised. I also have an old Nintendo 64 which I use to play Goldeneye and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Also, I have my old DOS which I can use to play the original Lucasarts games originally owned by my brother.

Remind me of the time chyron insisted one couldn't be a Telltale mod without having played King's Quest before...

Teheheee, that was one great Telltale game. :)

I just never got around to it. I know they got seasons 2 and 3 available on Mac, but I'm hesitant to give Telltale any more of my money

Then wait for a sale. I assure you, the money devs get out of these absurd 80%, 90% off sales is really just pennies you'd throw at a bum.

Should I get Curse of Monkey Island?

You never played Cu...the list of offensives is really piling up!

I've played it, and beat it, I just don't own a copy.

Should I get Curse of Monkey Island?

You never played Cu...the list of offensives is really piling up!

I've played it, and beat it, I just don't own a copy.

Oh that's fine people just download it now anyway.

Just bought the first two seasons of Sam & Max on Xbox Live. Will probably get season 3 on Mac.

After all these years, I need to get in on this.

The Devil's Playhouse WAS Telltale's finest hour.

Narrative genre switched with each new episode... episodic gaming will likely not ever churn out something similar.

I don't know about you guys, but my personal favourite TTG game will always be either Tales of Monkey Island or Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse. They were both the peak of TTG storytelling and design for me personal, the final two episodes of Tales of Monkey Island still give me chills playing through them.

My favorite is Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures because they got the feel of the shorts down, and the final boss puzzles were awesome in all four episodes (they're the best in any Telltale season in my opinion).

When it comes to Telltale's puzzle adventure games, Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (plus Sam & Max: Season Two, as I feel it has the best puzzles, while The Devil's Playhouse has the best story and episode structure), and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People are right up there among my favorites too.

Tales of MI really nailed a certain vibe that I can't quite describe, but it made me incredibly nostalgic for it and I love it to bits. I think it's about time for a replay.

Did anyone ever hear anything about Harrison Pink streaming Sam & Max season 2? I'm just curious whether he hasn't gotten around to it yet or if he did it and I missed it.