Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

I do 't understand this shipping thing. Nor why they are pissed at a story not tur ing out the way they wanted.

Hey, let's not make hasty conclusions. I'll read through the entirety of that thread for a balanced opinion and will be back in just a few minutes.

Just 69,200 comments to go.

Good to see that The old Place is still the old place.

http://imgur.com/a/MUUvQ

Spoilers for TftB I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hahaha, wait. I'm not a TTG vet like you guys and not sure I get it, but let me get this straight....

These people go to the TTG forum and post their "ideas for stories" and their fan fictions and expect TTG to "notice them" and put their ideas into the games??? And if that doesn't happen they get angry???

Oh that is too cute. Adorable.

Also, "I'm letting the REAL big bad wolf out today" sounds like a coolsome post.

These people go to the TTG forum and post their "ideas for stories" and their fan fictions and expect TTG to "notice them" and put their ideas into the games??? And if that doesn't happen they get angry???

Not quite - rather, it's that they want the two main lead characters to be romantically paired in game, which they call "shipping." The complaints aren't coming from no characters being "shipped" at all, but rather that Telltale already had listened to a different portion of fans who instead wanted one of the main characters to be "shipped" with a side character instead.

For the newer series, Telltale will make minor changes or additions to the story from fan feedback (at the cost of traditional "monthly" releases from their older puzzle titles) since their newer titles are much more story driven, so the fans from that thread are basically mad that Telltale had catered to a different group of fans.

I'm not judging the whole shipping thing, but at the same time to give context to outsiders, there wasn't a lot of lead in or foreshadowing the two characters liking each other within the earlier episodes. However, around the third episode, Telltale all of a sudden gave two characters lots of romantic chemistry after months of people making threads on the forums about how they wanted to "ship" characters together.

They even gave it a shout-out in one of the episode descriptions:

After a dizzying escape from a very-near-almost-certain-death scenario (involving statuesque buttocks), Rhys and Fiona find themselves looking for another piece of the puzzle that will lead them to the untold riches of Vault key ownership. Lost in the mysterious jungle of an Atlas terraforming facility, Fiona finds help from an unexpected mentor, Rhys continues to share brain-space with the disembodied mind of a dead dictator, and love is in the air. Pursued by the ruthless criminal 'Queenpin' Vallory, and with very little help from Vaughn's accountancy skills (or stellar abs), getting anywhere near the Vault will be entirely up to you.

I don't mind the "shipping" stuff, but I'm surprised to see it got big enough to where Telltale included it in the middle of the Season onward. I think it'd be better for the story if they had led into it more naturally instead of jumping straight in, but still, it's cool to see Telltale is in a position to where they can be responsive to fans a little more than they had been for their older titles.

...however, an interesting upside of all this is that fans are starting to acknowledge and finally catch on that things made by Telltale beyond the purview of Walking Dead or Game of Thrones are actually good. When games from niche and/or unexpected franchises like Borderlands or Fables (with Wolf Among Us) were first announced (or reintroduced in Wolf's case), people were mad that it wasn't something bigger like Breaking Bad/Star Wars/Hunger Games/insert big franchise.

However, now, I'm actually seeing a surprisingly large crowd of users from the post-Walking Dead era say they'd rather have more Seasons to games like Wolf or Borderlands as opposed to seeing more Walking Dead games. I'm not knocking Walking Dead as I do play and like those games, but rather my point is that I'm glad to see that even the newer fans are broadening their palette beyond Walking Dead. It gives me hope that they will be more receptive to Telltale taking on more unique franchises that are a change of pace.

Telltale doesn't care if their current fanbase is receptive or not. They only care whether their games make a profit. They'll sacrifice their fanbase on the altar of the almighty dollar just like they did with us, and nevermind whether the community approves of their business decisions just like they didn't care whether we liked the new website or not.

Why "shipping"? That sounds like a horrible term for hooking up.

maybe because they're hopefully wrapping that shit up when they do it.

why put them in Level 1 of Tomb Raider?

Don't question the mad genius.

Something something Titanic?

I still haven't watched that damn movie and I never will. =P

Overrated bunk. Cameron is all style and no substance whose only really good movies were True Lies, The Terminator and Terminator 2.

Anyway, for once I'm actually looking forward to seeing a new M. Night Shyamalan movie

don't be dissing titanic!!!!!!!

nearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr

whereever u rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZuKqhA3V7qM

don't be dissing titanic!!!!!!!

nearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr

whereever u rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ZuKqhA3V7qM

Titanic was built by the Irish.

That explains a LOT.

Overrated bunk. Cameron is all style and no substance whose only really good movies were True Lies, The Terminator and Terminator 2.

Anyway, for once I'm actually looking forward to seeing a new M. Night Shyamalan movie

I hate James Cameron because he owns the movie rights to Battle Angel Alita (aka GUNNM) and has been promising he's going to make it into a movie since like 2004, but he keeps not doing it.

What did he do instead? Visually stunning but otherwise total sh** Avatar.

Then I was like FINALLY HE FINISHED STUPID F***ING AVATAR AND CAN MAKE ALITA.

No. No, now he wants to make seven more Avatars first.

head-desk-bartlett.gif

Enough blue skinned amazon cat women!

More butt-kicking cyborg girls that can punch a dude so hard in the face that his head literally explodes (that is a real thing that happens)!

But on the inside she is just a girl trying to understand her robot body and find meaning and identity in a cruel universe

high-definition-battle-angel-alita-2.jpg

She also has a cool sword that is basically a sword-sized butterfly knife:

alita-blade.jpg

STOP MAKING STUPID AVATAR, JAMES CAMERON. I HATE YOU.

Battle.Angel.Alita.full.262897.jpg

It's from "relationship" afaik.

oooooh, well that makes sense. Still kind of a lame term, though. I mean, I wouldn't ask a girl out by asking if she wants to "ship with me".

I would only ask her that if I were pirate captain inviting her into my captain's bunk.

what about Battle Angel Vegeta tho...?

VHAs2SG.jpg

Bwahahahahaha

Not quite - rather, it's that they want the two main lead characters to be romantically paired in game, which they call "shipping." The complaints aren't coming from no characters being "shipped" at all, but rather that Telltale already had listened to a different portion of fans who instead wanted one of the main characters to be "shipped" with a side character instead.

I think I like Ragnar Tørnquist's approach to fanbase driven storytelling better:

Say, if players love a certain character, (s)he is more likely to suffer a terrifying fate. That’s just fair.

oooooh, well that makes sense. Still kind of a lame term, though. I mean, I wouldn't ask a girl out by asking if she wants to "ship with me".

I would only ask her that if I were pirate captain inviting her into my captain's bunk.

It's not a term for hooking up. It refers to when googly eyed fangirls support a relationship, whether it's against canon or not (though bonus points if their ship is canon).

Example: OMG I totally ship Harry and Luna Lovegood!

See Also: Team Edward/Team Jacob, perhaps the most infamous shipping incident of all.

It's not a term for hooking up. It refers to when googly eyed fangirls support a relationship, whether it's against canon or not (though bonus points if their ship is canon).

Example: OMG I totally ship Harry and Luna Lovegood!

See Also: Team Edward/Team Jacob, perhaps the most infamous shipping incident of all.

Fanboys also ship, FME.