Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

I know a lot of fixes are in the pipeline, I know the web team genuinely wants to polish the site up as best they can, but there's not a lot of time before TWAU launches, and those new fans are going to be coming to a forum with a lot of broken or missing features.

Absolutely, Guru. It's Disneyland all over.

The difference to me is that in the places on the internet where it is used, it's for commenting and not really for discussing.

I've really helped set up this distinction. I won't step back from it now. The thing this probably DOESN'T mean is that yesterday we've all had meaningful discussions in the old forums, and today it's just a community of hit and run commenters. We've had a lot of people who only were 'commenters' back then, and we still have people with a fair bit of discussion culture now.

Even if new fans have never experienced anything other than threaded discussion on that particular forum, chances are still slim to none that they've ever experienced threaded discussion on any other gaming forum anywhere. [...] I do expect that some number of them will be deterred by the threaded discussions. Certainly not all of them, likely not even the majority, but some significant number.

Whether or not I believe the same, that theory will likely always just remain a theory. Because the potential new people who do get scared away by threaded discussion will not be vocal about it. Essentially, it's a theory with which I can't work, because we will never have the statistics to support it. Here at last is one digital data witchcraft DjNDB can not provide.

And it really is too early for constructive criticism to get through (even without distracting flames) because the response is just going to be "wait and see how it works out" until the new forum has had a good trial run. If the general feeling toward the forum is still negative six months from now, and if people are voicing this without resorting to angry flaming, then maybe something will change.

My view is, in a way, more negative. The old 'uns had an interesting opportunity to discuss the subject of change with an official. They've unfortunatly ruined it with a vengeance. Now the only way the (one!) central thing that bothers us will change is if it proves to be functionally inappropriate, experienced by regular, somehow faithful users without even the faintest wish do purposefully demonstrate the problem. That CAN still happen, it really can. I give it a 50-50 chance though.

I don't expect that to happen anytime even remotely soon. Right now, the barely functional system works through cookies. To fix it, they'd have to put together something to store the data for each individual new comment siteside. What I suspect is that this is much more difficult to store for threaded discussions than it would be for linear threads.

This is so crazy, isn't it? We've all known that threaded discussion would need a fair bit more navigation than linear, regardless of support or rejection of the feature. And exactly here, Disneyland day one. I believe a lot of people who would have had absolutely zero problems with threaded discussion got a bad taste for just that reason.

I would think that everything would be running much smoother given that the forum software is based on Vanilla. What I would guess is causing all the unpleasantness is that Vanilla isn't built to handle threaded discussions (I looked it up, it's not), so the Telltale web team had to hack Vanilla to bits to force it to support threaded discussions, and now nothing works right.

Huh. Let me research that for a bit. It's certainly daring to reprogram a forum template that has excluded threaded discussion for a reason. But if it was never meant to work that way, chances are it never will. That's more or less the moment of truth that brings the forum back to linear eventually. But don't count the web team out of that equation. They've come so far already.

I know that I left during a time of turmoil,

I don't think you did.

and Laura's lack of response towards me quitting makes it feel like she sees it that way, which is really disappointing to me

Then again, Guru, she hasn't even demodded you yet. Had she 'seen it that way', that would have been one button to press rather quickly. It's the weekend. Give it a bit more time, this is hard stuff to swallow for anyone.

Oh, I've been speculating about that sort of thing for a while, and it honestly scares the crap out of me. I feel like ever since they snagged the Universal licenses, Telltale has had too much success in a too short amount of time, and I'm afraid they're getting swept up in it. Without time to adjust, I feel like it's causing them to lose their way. I'll definitely be interested to see where they go from here. I just don't feel that I can go along with them.

I can think of a rotten two dozen video game companies I would hate to get those licenses. But not Telltale. They're not ruining their franchises, they're actually trying hard to do them justice. They're good at that IP stuff!! The main problem just is that they're not willing to give these franchises the stop and think adventure game twist any more - THE reason the old folks had been coming to the company in the first place. I'm not sure where the company goes, I have no idea. What I do believe is that the 'episodic story game' is extraordinarily limited in gameplay scope, and sooner or later fans will recognize that and development will hit a brick wall, making Telltale become dissatisfied with the experience they're providing. I'm really interested in seeing what happens then.

You might think Telltale was at a crossroads three years ago and went the wrong way. You may possibly know that I believe they actually followed a straigt, determined path from minute one. The crossroads is yet to come.

Well, I couldn't miss out on that, could I? I feel like I should be taking advantage of the backer videos, though. I haven't watched any of it except for the episode preview at the PAX 2012 panel.

I'm pretty sure I'm a fan of Double Fine...

I think so at least I buy quite a few of these games at some point...

Though I haven't really kept up to date with Double Fine and don't necessarily look forward to their games I do like them when they come out and play them to completion...

I will admit I came here for the people after the Forums got mucked up not the games whilst I went to Telltale for the games and then grew to like the people...

Hopefully that is good enough...

Well, I couldn't miss out on that, could I? I feel like I should be taking advantage of the backer videos, though. I haven't watched any of it except for the episode preview at the PAX 2012 panel.
They're really quite good. Gave me a whole new perspective on how games get made.

They're also very entertaining and are clearly built around an unspoken narrative. The forum updates, especially the ones by DF Oliver and DF Lee, goes much further in actually explaining how games are made. I recommend skimming through all of those threads as well. Tim Schafer also have some very interesting updates about writing and character creation.

It really hammers home the old saying of "time is money" to me. I always heard that in the context of stereotypical rich assholes saying it in movies and TV shows. Seeing how money translates to more time to work on this game has shown me the saying actually holds water.

Don't. It's not worth it. At this point, if you're really upset about the new forums, the best message you can send is to contribute to it being a ghost town. Trust me, making trouble is not helping you out at all behind the scenes, so if that's all you're still going back there for, the best thing you can do is just leave.
It is a ghost town. As far as I recall, the only people there are the mods, ryannumber1gamer and MtnPeak. No one who would actually appreciate my having repost it is there anymore. So there isn't much point.

Honestly, I didn't come here as a form of protest. I joined these boards last year to talk about Broken Age, but then had too much shit to get on that I couldn't keep up my foruming. Now, I'm here because that's where the people are. And I'm one of those people who wants to stay in touch with people.

Honestly, I didn't come here as a form of protest. I joined these boards last year to talk about Broken Age

Our join dates really are proof enough. ;)

I tried to join during the campaign but it didn't work because the site was broken from the traffic. I got frustrated and ultimately gave up joining.

That's pretty cool. Now I kind of regret not waiting a couple of days to join. Still, I'm more of a fan of Pi approximation day. My wife and I originally planned to get married on that date. Then a friend of mine suddenly was going to get married a couple of days before, so we ended up just picking the first day available at the courthouse.

I joined because A) I'd already had this place recommended to me several times in the past and B) I knew others would follow.

I never did so to find a 'replacement' Telltale site - the fact I'm still going over at TTG shows that somewhat - but it's always nice to have somewhere where I'm not a mod and don't have to worry quite so much about being silly, purple leprechaun jumping over the bucket of dreams.

Plus, y'know, it's actually a FORUM. I like forums.

I joined because of Double Fine's games (well game since there was just Psychonauts at the time of my joining, and the first four flash games - I love Tasha's Game, I can't say that enough), left for a while because I was overwhelmed by the amount of posts right after the Broken Age kickstarter, came back for Amnesia Fortnight and Middle Manager of Justice, and then became a semi-regular poster because all of the familiar faces from Telltale showed up here. :)

I joined to show my support for what would eventually become Broken Age (aka one of the best games of 2014 EVER!)

Now, since the Telltale Forums have turned into... well... THAT... I think I'll be posting here more often!

I joined to show my support for what would eventually become Broken Age (aka one of the best games of 2014 EVER!)

Now, since the Telltale Forums have turned into... well... THAT... I think I'll be posting here more often!

I'll sound stupid saying this, but who are you?

Obviously. But that doesn't help me to know he was at the Telltale forums.

Yeah, but now you look like the wise veteran with the low post count that only says things that are deep and profound.

Myself, I waited a year and a half to make my second post.

Coolsome got it. I thought everyone remembered him from his Sam & Max Abridged series.

Crap, I totally missed your big reply, V.

Even if new fans have never experienced anything other than threaded discussion on that particular forum, chances are still slim to none that they've ever experienced threaded discussion on any other gaming forum anywhere. [...] I do expect that some number of them will be deterred by the threaded discussions. Certainly not all of them, likely not even the majority, but some significant number.

Whether or not I believe the same, that theory will likely always just remain a theory. Because the potential new people who do get scared away by threaded discussion will not be vocal about it. Essentially, it's a theory with which I can't work, because we will never have the statistics to support it. Here at last is one digital data witchcraft DjNDB can not provide.

You're absolutely right. I don't expect anyone to know that these people are being scared off, and I don't expect it to reduce the forum activity to a level that will cause change. I just expect it to result in slightly slower forum traffic than there would've been otherwise, by some unknowable quantity.

I would think that everything would be running much smoother given that the forum software is based on Vanilla. What I would guess is causing all the unpleasantness is that Vanilla isn't built to handle threaded discussions (I looked it up, it's not), so the Telltale web team had to hack Vanilla to bits to force it to support threaded discussions, and now nothing works right.

Huh. Let me research that for a bit. It's certainly daring to reprogram a forum template that has excluded threaded discussion for a reason. But if it was never meant to work that way, chances are it never will. That's more or less the moment of truth that brings the forum back to linear eventually. But don't count the web team out of that equation. They've come so far already.

It's just amazing to me, that all this time we thought that they spent the time and money to build a barely functional forum from scratch, when it turns out that they spent the money on proper forum software (just like we wanted them to), but then they spent the time and money on top of that to break that forum software and disable a lot of its features just so they could force it to support a feature nobody wanted. I'm not saying it's not going to work out for them (it may or may not), it's just baffling logic to me.

I know that I left during a time of turmoil,

I don't think you did.

Well, at the very least, I left during a trying time. Knowing that you guys have a lot to deal with made it much harder to leave just because I didn't want to leave you even more short-handed.

and Laura's lack of response towards me quitting makes it feel like she sees it that way, which is really disappointing to me

Then again, Guru, she hasn't even demodded you yet. Had she 'seen it that way', that would have been one button to press rather quickly. It's the weekend. Give it a bit more time, this is hard stuff to swallow for anyone.

I was mainly concerned about it because I'd seen that she'd posted on the forums since I'd put my thread up and I knew she wasn't happy with Kurt. Her response today was a huge relief.

I can think of a rotten two dozen video game companies I would hate to get those licenses. But not Telltale. They're not ruining their franchises, they're actually trying hard to do them justice. They're good at that IP stuff!! The main problem just is that they're not willing to give these franchises the stop and think adventure game twist any more - THE reason the old folks had been coming to the company in the first place. I'm not sure where the company goes, I have no idea. What I do believe is that the 'episodic story game' is extraordinarily limited in gameplay scope, and sooner or later fans will recognize that and development will hit a brick wall, making Telltale become dissatisfied with the experience they're providing. I'm really interested in seeing what happens then.

You're absolutely right there. In spite of whatever decisions they've made as a company, I've enjoyed everything I've played from them, with the exception of Back to the Future (I didn't play Jurassic Park), even if the types of games they've been making aren't necessarily the types I've been wanting to see from them. I long for puzzles, but I still really enjoyed The Walking Dead. I'll probably skip The Wolf Among Us, but that's mainly because I'm really incredibly disinterested in the source material. I'm almost definitely getting TWD season 2, though.

You might think Telltale was at a crossroads three years ago and went the wrong way. You may possibly know that I believe they actually followed a straigt, determined path from minute one. The crossroads is yet to come.

When I said it scares the crap out of me, this is what I meant. It's not where the company has come to from where they started, it's where I see that path leading to that worries me. But like you said, it's a crossroads. There's still a chance they won't choose the wrong path, and that's what I desperately hope to see. Telltale still means a lot to me, and I genuinely do want to see them do well.

Coolsome got it. I thought everyone remembered him from his Sam & Max Abridged series.

oh, yeah...

yeah, okay

I was at the Telltale forums too, I swear! I was the dude that did the thing. Remember? When all those fire trucks showed up?

I was at the Telltale forums too, I swear! I was the dude that did the thing. Remember? When all those fire trucks showed up?
Did you get your stapler back? :P

Tasty tasty pie.
Sorry, that pie is for Massive Chalice backers only.

Somehow I'd never even heard of Massive Chalice before I joined here. Woops.

There was a lot of controversy over Double Fine starting another Kickstarter before delivering on their first and just before announcing that the first part of Broken Age would be released as a Steam Early Access game. I think there even was a lot of discussion about it in the Kickstarter thread on the TTG forums. Maybe the name didn't come up much but it got a lot of attention in gaming circles.