Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

(sets up pins for someone to knock them down)

That TWD Season 2 trailer was quite light on content...

Well it is a teaser.

You bowled a gutter ball.

Yes, of course it's a teaser, that's the joke... people complain about TT games being light on content, and so was the teaser. ;)

Well Kevin said in the reddit there is no chance for a season 4 of sam & max..but perhaps a smaller "poker night" type game.. not great news...

They also mentioned how their zero gameplay for walking dead was why it was a hit.. thats where I think they are wrong. Sam & Max Season 2 was just as good as TWD..got the same high ratings on metacritic.. the reason TWD was a hit was because they made a game for the highest rating show on television..an extremely hot property..it had nothing to do with the gameplay.. but telltale has misinterpreted this as.. see look our no gameplay game sold millions of copies we must do that from now on and abandon any adventure/puzzle type gameplay we used to do..that was holding us back.. *double sigh*

Sorry. The only people I've seen say that are you guys. It wasn't obvious to me.
No need to apologize. :)

I was being facetious, but perhaps I came across poorly.

Sorry. The only people I've seen say that are you guys. It wasn't obvious to me.

That'd be because we are used to telltale games being... well... games instead of pure stories.

Personally I'm fine with this approach and love walking dead already, so these games aren't issues for me(Fables however, I'm keeping back until I hear it's good multiple episodes in), but for those that want adventure games telltale used to do, then yeah they will notice and despise the lack of "game" very quickly.

I've already given all my adventure game love to Daedalic. The Deponia games just kept on getting better.
I need to play Goodbye Deponia. Waiting for a sale.

Daedalic doesn't nearly get enough love.

I've already given all my adventure game love to Daedalic. The Deponia games just kept on getting better.
I need to play Goodbye Deponia. Waiting for a sale.

Daedalic doesn't nearly get enough love.

Goodbye Deponia is good, maybe even great. I bought it at nearly full price and found it well worth the expenditure. It really ties up a lot of loose ends that the previous two games had. If I had to compare it to another game, I'd say it was kinda like their version of Rise of the Pirate God. Well, it had the same feeling for me.

Goodbye Deponia is good, maybe even great. I bought it at nearly full price and found it well worth the expenditure. It really ties up a lot of loose ends that the previous two games had. If I had to compare it to another game, I'd say it was kinda like their version of Rise of the Pirate God. Well, it had the same feeling for me.

I'll go for 'great' here. About the same reason I disliked Daedalic's Dark Eye games - the extremely dull and uninventive language - was about the prime reason why Goodbye Deponia rocks. This is a lively, modern, playfully creative and still grammatically complex variant of German - maybe not to everyone's liking, the 'language guardians' might certainly be shocked out of their wits - and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I'm not sure if anything like this was or could even be transferred into the English language. Not without a great deal of adaptation at least, and certainly not without routinely cost-efficient Daedalic coughing up considerably more dough.

As to the second part of the game, the mechanics were certainly lacking a bit. They try to copy the 'Day of the Tentacle' feel, which doesn't work out perfectly. The same flaws are apparent (shovelling batchloads of items from inventory to inventory repeatedly) while the individuality of DoTT's three settings and three characters is unfortunately not mimicked.

Nonetheless - Goodbye Deponia is hot shit. After my heartbreaking encounter with King Art's considerably depuzzled 'Raven' and the somewhat disheartening first "Wolf among Us" episode (which excels in about every single aspect of games besides the actual player interaction, and shows this lack with far more pride than The Walking Dead's first episode), this is pretty much the first good adventure game I've enjoyed in half a year.

Telltale has another IP in their grasp

They're hinting it's Star Wars.

Telltale Games is working on a selection of "dream IP" alongside the upcoming season of The Walking Dead that it "can't wait to announce".

Co-founders Dan Connors and Kevin Bruner discussed the developer's future in an Ask Me Anything on Reddit – hinting at the possibility of a Star Wars title.

"A Telltale Star Wars game would make me VERY happy!" said Bruner. "We've got some IP coming up that pretty much checks all of my personal favourites, which absolutely amazes/honours me."

"Coming from LucasArts we have so many people here that love Star Wars and have worked with the license so that would be a great fit and very cool," added Connors. "In addition we will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those."

If they ever make a Star Wars game the world will end in one giant blast of irony.

If they ever make a star wars game, people will then be forced to admit that The Force Unleashed games really weren't THAT bad.

If they aren't going to do anything with Sam & Max, I hope they just let them go and not pull a Disney/Lucas and just sit on them. Yeah, that's not going to happen. Farewell Sam and Max games. I'll miss you.

In the AMA they basically said their only plans for Sam and Max are more 'Poker Night' style games and not a full season...

And they said even that might not be for a long time...

If they aren't going to do anything with Sam & Max, I hope they just let them go and not pull a Disney/Lucas and just sit on them.

They don't sit on them. They always only ever lent the rights to Sam & Max if I remember correctly.

This is true. Steve Purcell retains his rights to his characters and, it seems, the ONE thing he aggressively defends in negotiations is his ownership rights.

Here's a quote from the AMA that will surely raise some eyebrows:

What's your take on the difference in reaction by gamers to, say, Back to the Future: The Game vs. The Walking Dead?

Why do you think The Walking Dead was the first game to really take off like it has? Is there some resentment of the lack of recognition of your game history?

I think gamers responded differently to our past games because they were more traditional in their approach to gameplay verse Walking Dead which really evolved the mechanics and made gameplay more intense which was more gamer friendly especially console gamers. We have no bad feelings about any of our past games because they have all led to where we are now in one way or another and we take pride in their quality.

By "evolved" I guess he meant "removed". I make that mistake quite often myself.

How does it make gameplay more intense to merely include shock value sequences? That makes /story/ more intense, not gameplay.

How does it make gameplay more intense to merely include shock value sequences? That makes /story/ more intense, not gameplay.

Have you played the recent games? The story IS gameplay now. Who wants to do anything that wont advance the story anymore? No one according to Telltale.

I watched a Let's Play recently of That RPG Chick playing AGDI's KQ3 Redux. She had never beaten it before, and was basically going in half-blind. As a result, she clicked on nearly everything in the game there was to click on, and took 4 hours and 45 minutes (on the game clock, which doesn't count dying and such) to finally defeat Manannan because she had no idea what to do next for a while. It was really fun to watch and it made me want to play a game like that again.

I watched a Let's Play recently of That RPG Chick playing AGDI's KQ3 Redux. She had never beaten it before, and was basically going in half-blind. As a result, she clicked on nearly everything in the game there was to click on, and took 4 hours and 45 minutes (on the game clock, which doesn't count dying and such) to finally defeat Manannan because she had no idea what to do next for a while. It was really fun to watch and it made me want to play a game like that again.

But mainstream idiots like to feel smart, not dumb. They don't want anything that challenges them to think about something other than whether they'll buy their next shirt at American Eagle or Abercrombie & Fitch.

No they don't. Absolutely not. That's just the wrong idea one journalist got from not understanding what people write on reddit. I mean, I can understand the guy. No one understands reddit. But he's kinda sorta been extra stupid at it.

The next Star Wars games will be EA/Origin games. Not Telltale games.

... I can see them borrow another space opera IP directly from Electronic Arts though.

No they don't. Absolutely not. That's just the wrong idea one journalist got from not understanding what people write on reddit. I mean, I can understand the guy. No one understands reddit. But he's kinda sorta been extra stupid at it.

The next Star Wars games will be EA/Origin games. Not Telltale games.

... I can see them borrow another space opera IP directly from Electronic Arts though.

Take a deep breath...in...out...in...out...

I didn't say they did have SW, I pointed out that Telltale has said they have some other IPs they're working on, and they've given some hints about it being SW. That doesn't mean it's true. Yes, EA currently has SW exclusivity for game development, but it's possible that TTG could get the rights to make their own SW game. Possible is the key word with a wide spectrum of probability. I personally don't care either way.

It's not Star Wars.

The hint they gave as to what it was is "Comics and TV/Books".

If I had to guess at anything I'd say Futurama (which would pretty much make Telltale my favourite developers), but I know deep down it'll actually be something I can't stand.

Take a deep breath...in...out...in...out...

No offense here. I was mad at the journalists, no one else. Turns out there are quite a few who conveniently 'misunderstood' the reddit conversation. ;)

I don't want it to be Futurama. I'd have to play it then.

Don't worry, I know it wont be. I'm just saying that it'd be awful.