Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Take a deep breath...in...out...in...out...

No offense here. I was mad at the journalists, no one else. Turns out there are quite a few who conveniently 'misunderstood' the reddit conversation. ;)

I can't blame people for misunderstanding it. DC and KB talked about having dream IPs and also said they'd love to do SW. To many that would appear to be a cryptic hint.

But my reason for posting was just to be the messenger of sorts, as apparently hope for a TT SW game is spreading around the web. I don't think that's going to be, but speculation is rampant.

I can't blame people for misunderstanding it. DC and KB talked about having dream IPs and also said they'd love to do SW. To many that would appear to be a cryptic hint.

I will blame anyone who believes this to be a 'cryptic hint', at least anyone who has actually tried to analyse the original reddit conversation in yesterday's form. Because these people would undoubtedly have seen how the topic "Star Wars" entered the AMA... and it indeed wasn't originally brought up by either DC nor KB.

But I do concede that it's kind of hard following any reddit discussion - especially when the member in question even edits the post that brought the Lucasthing into the discussion originally. :(

Interestingly, the message that originally suggested Star Wars as a new Telltale IP and to which Connors and Bruner were only replying now reads:

If you could create a game with any IP of your choosing, what would you make?

EDIT: Disregard star wars, please makr Firefly

That's what Darth would call "delicious irony". ;)

(Forget Star Wars. There's the faint hope that there will be a good movie again, but the game franchise is now in Electronic Arts' clutches. Which, fittingly, are the modern day LucasArts in word and deed)

(Forget Star Wars. There's the faint hope that there will be a good movie again, but the game franchise is now in Electronic Arts' clutches. Which, fittingly, are the modern day LucasArts in word and deed)

What does EA having the franchise rights have to do with allowing TTG to develop a game? How does this automatically mean it's impossible? You really think EA's going to look at the success of TWD and say "F YOU TELLTALE, WE'RE NOT GOING TO LET YOU USE THIS LICENSE AND SHARE YOUR FREE MONEY WITH US"?

What does EA having the franchise rights have to do with allowing TTG to develop a game? How does this automatically mean it's impossible? You really think EA's going to look at the success of TWD and say "F YOU TELLTALE, WE'RE NOT GOING TO LET YOU USE THIS LICENSE AND SHARE YOUR FREE MONEY WITH US"?

Actually, I think it would be more Telltale being smart enough to not take whatever bullshit deal EA would end up giving them. Considering the money would end up being split between EA, Disney, and Telltale, I'm thinking two of the biggest corporations in the world might try to give them the shaft.

I will blame anyone who believes this to be a 'cryptic hint', at least anyone who has actually tried to analyse the original reddit conversation in yesterday's form. Because these people would undoubtedly have seen how the topic "Star Wars" entered the AMA... and it indeed wasn't originally brought up by either DC nor KB.

If someone else brought up a particular IP, and DC/KB weren't allowed to speak about it yet, then all they would be able to offer is pleasantries. To many that's subtle hint - "We'd love to do that IP....we're thrilled about the IPs we have in the future."

It's up to personal interpretations but I think you're forgetting that people probably don't know the full situation with SW games. Someone asked, got a reply, and there you go. Now this has devolved into a psychoanalysis of how people interpret vague generalities. ;)

Here's a better take on the situation.

he folks at Telltale are presumably throwing crumpled pieces of paper into an already full trash bin while crafting new episodes for The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season 2, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have their eyes on other properties as well. When asked what IPs they’d like to use in a new game, for example, Bruner said he’d love to do something in a galaxy far, far away.

“I'll also say a Telltale Star Wars game would make me VERY happy,” Bruner said in the AMA. He then hinted that, “We've got some IP coming up that pretty much checks all of my personal favorites, which absolutely amazes/honors me.”

While I’d be more than happy to see a Telltale rendition of the Star Wars franchise, that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon, considering that EA locked that license up back in May. It’s possible that Telltale could develop a game and publish through EA, but that ventures deeply into hypothetical space.

I’m more interested in the intellectual property that has Bruner amazed and honored. The best guess I can make is it’s probably not Star Wars. That doesn’t narrow things down too much, but hey, it’s a start.

That's how I view it - unlikely but not entirely impossible that Telltale could secure the rights to make a particular SW game. As I said, I don't care too much either way, but it's interesting to speculate and see what people want them to do. Seeing a vast array of suggestions in various forums/sites suggests to me that the wide audience Telltale has acquired will be interested in almost anything they do associated with a known or beloved IP. That's their bread and butter.

If I hold the rights to a popular IP and want to garner more fans or venture into new mediums, I'm looking at the success Telltale had with TWD and getting in touch with them. I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale largely has their pick of the litter (not saying among the biggest names/brands, but ones that are popular enough).

That's how I view it - unlikely but not entirely impossible that Telltale could secure the rights to make a particular SW game.

Electronic Arts announced to have acquired exclusive rights for Star Wars titles. That's what they're going to do. They can't re-lend the license at their convenience, and they certainly won't have anyone but their own bought up studios work on Star Wars titles.

If Electronic Arts thinks a Telltale style Star Wars game would be a good idea, they'll order BioWare to make it. Or, what the heck, Maxis. Or Dice. Criterion. Phenomic. Pandemic. Visceral Games. What have you.

If I had to guess at anything I'd say Futurama (which would pretty much make Telltale my favourite developers)

ahem... Obligatory repost:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/577513#Comment_577513

Darth Marsden - Posted Jan 20, 2012 at 9:16am

Allow me to cleverly put you in your place with a far superior script.

Scene: The Meeting Room. Bender, Fry and Leela are sitting around the table.

Fry: Huh. I wonder where the Professor is.

Leela: Yeah. he said he had some big announcement.

Fry: Oo! Maybe he's finally getting that hair transplant!

Bender: He said big, not stupid, stupid.

Fry: They're not mutually exclusive!

Professor Farnsworth enters

Prof: What's not mentally expensive?

Leela: Never you mind. What's the good news?

Prof: Good news? Oh yes! Good news, everyone! Some formerly talented video games company is making a bunch of games about us!

ALL: Yay!

Zoidberg leans in through a window that shouldn't be there and will in fact not be next time the camera pans past the wall

Zoidberg: Hurray! Finally Zoidberg's dream of a fish eating minigame has come true!

Fry: So what type of game is it, Professor? Another platformer?

Leela: I hope not. The last one wasn't very good.

Bender: Speak for yourself. I was very happy with the senseless mutilation and destruction of innocent creatures, heh heh.

Fry: Yeah! And I got to shoot stuff! Shooting stuff is fun and useful!

Farnsworth: Oh my, no. None of that, I'm afraid.

BENDER & FRY: Aww...

Farnsworth: No, this one's going to be a heap of adventure games!

Fry: Wait, does those make me use my brain thingy?

Bender: And I don't get to jump around and smash things?

Farnsworth: No, you have to use things with other things to make all new things! Oh, it's like a dream come true!

Fry: Aw, that's no fun at all! I wanna see stuff go kablouey!

Leela: Maybe you'll get to combine items to make a 'kablouey', whatever that is.

Fry: Aww, you always know just what to say.

Bender: Oo, oo, maybe you can combine me with a girder and I can bend it! I'm good at that!

Farnsworth: Oh now, let's not get too excited. These things have to be easy to solve so more people will buy them.

Fry: Cool! Easy stuff is more fun!

Farnsworth: Yes, it'll probably be full of puzzles like picking up that universal doohickey on the table there.

The game instructs you to pick up the 'Universal Doohickey' from the table.

Fry: Like that?

Farnsworth: Yes, I suspect that's probably as complicated as things will get.

Fry: I'm not sure I like things being THAT easy. What would I use it on?

Fatnsworth: Oh, I don't have time for your shenanigans. Try using it on someone else.

The game instructs you to use it on Zoidberg, who's now inside the room. The window has completely vanished. using the item on Zoidberg makes Fry walk up to him, hold the doohickey in his hand for a second while he ponders it, then throw it at Zoidberg's head.

Zoidberg: Ow! What was that for?

Fry: I dunno, the game made me do it.

Zoidberg: I don't like this game any more. I'm going to go and practice for my fish eating minigame.

Zoidberg makes to leave from the window, but of course it's not there. He shrugs and walks out the door instead.

Fry: Wow. Adventure games are fun.

Electronic Arts announced to have acquired exclusive rights for Star Wars titles. That's what they're going to do. They can't re-lend the license at their convenience, and they certainly won't have anyone but their own bought up studios work on Star Wars titles.

If Electronic Arts thinks a Telltale style Star Wars game would be a good idea, they'll order BioWare to make it. Or, what the heck, Maxis. Or Dice. Criterion. Phenomic. Pandemic. Visceral Games. What have you.

I'm not sure you understand how marketing or contract law work, but they almost certainly have the ability to contract out game development for a game they're publishing. They have the rights to develop and publish Star Wars games, that doesn't mean they'd magically be excluded from contracting development out to a studio they don't own.

Also, "From the makers of the award-winning 2012 GOTY: The Walking Dead, comes Star Wars: The Search For More Money" sounds way the hell better as a sales pitch than "EA tries to cash in on TWD formula with bad Star Wars rip-off"

I'm not sure you understand how marketing or contract law work, but they almost certainly have the ability to contract out game development for a game they're publishing. They have the rights to develop and publish Star Wars games, that doesn't mean they'd magically be excluded from contracting development out to a studio they don't own.

Also, "From the makers of the award-winning 2012 GOTY: The Walking Dead, comes Star Wars: The Search For More Money" sounds way the hell better as a sales pitch than "EA tries to cash in on TWD formula with bad Star Wars rip-off"

Of course I haven't got a clue about contract law. What I have, and I concede in advance that it's not much, is having thoroughly read and signed about three dozen subcontractor agreements. And for a very fair share of them, I had to call my client again asking "hey, guys, what about our freelancers, are they even allowed to do or even see this stuff by the letter of that contract?".

There ARE regulations and provisions for contracting out WORK, I'm sure of it. But contracting out the LICENSE itself, that is not something Electronic Arts can do. Disney won't sign a contract which allows Electronic Arts to decide which company can put its logo on a Star Wars game. As for doing it with Disney's consent, I am REALLY sceptical. "Exclusive rights" means "exclusive rights" after all. This is more or less a "we do the mobile shittyshit, you do the real games" agreement. With a manpower exceeding 9,000, EA doesn't have to look around much for help. Telltale doesn't enter the picture.

Of course I haven't got a clue about contract law. What I have, and I concede in advance that it's not much, is having thoroughly read and signed about three dozen subcontractor agreements. And for a very fair share of them, I had to call my client again asking "hey, guys, what about our freelancers, are they even allowed to do or even see this stuff by the letter of that contract?".

There ARE regulations and provisions for contracting out WORK, I'm sure of it. But contracting out the LICENSE itself, that is not something Electronic Arts can do. Disney won't sign a contract which allows Electronic Arts to decide which company can put its logo on a Star Wars game. As for doing it with Disney's consent, I am REALLY sceptical. "Exclusive rights" means "exclusive rights" after all. This is more or less a "we do the mobile shittyshit, you do the real games" agreement. Telltale doesn't enter that picture.

They have the right to develop any game using any resources they deem essential. Game development, especially AAA titles, almost 100% of the time involves contracted work to other studios. Look at Aliens Colonial Marines. Gearbox had the rights to make that game, but Timegate ended up making a good portion of it. There are almost NEVER provisions in a contract that would explicitly forbid them from having an outside studio work on a game. EA can have whoever they want develop a Star Wars game, since they are the license holder. When Lucasarts held the Sam & Max license, they could have had any random independent studio they wanted produce a game, but they didn't.

Video game development is far different than many other businesses, because limited resources and project deadlines are so tight that they almost always end up needing contract work, even if it's just contracting out some texture production to a team in Singapore, or something like that. No contract in the video game world that's even somewhat coherent would exclude a company from being able to contract development out.

I don't think they'd do it unless TTG agrees that the game will be Oridong exclusive.

Honestly, with as money hungry as TTG are lately, I wouldn't put it past them to climb on board with that.

I don't think they'd do it unless TTG agrees that the game will be Oridong exclusive.

Honestly, with as money hungry as TTG are lately, I wouldn't put it past them to climb on board with that.

Wouldn't that be a reason to not put it on origin? No one would buy it.

Wouldn't that be a reason to not put it on origin? No one would buy it.

Not if EA were offering them a sweet pile of cash to make it Origin exclusive.

I once dated a girl but she turned out to be a real tell-tale tit.

My friends; they cursed her but I really couldn't care one bit.

Content with shallow praise and riches she had become,

But you know what? No real harm done.

Yes, alright, so she left me for a trendy, new-age crowd.

Those teens who are brash, abrasive and not to mention, oh so incredibly loud.

It really is time to accept that the girl I once loved has gone,

But I hold no grudges; if you like her now then I readily say "play on".

I soldiered forward through torrential rain and mist,

Consumed by lovelorn, I did clench my fist.

Searching for a new companion but to no avail.

Eventually though, I did find my holy grail.

My love, my saviour; my shiny new pearl,

I now love you, my one and only girl.

She who is the goddess that I now exclusively dine.

The one who is so exquisite, I simply call her 'double fine'.

A finer entrance there could not be.

Welcome, old friend. Pull up a seat and tell us of your travels while the barkeep draws you an ale.

Gimme the rundown on this guy.

It's from the old site, but this Let's Play thread of his works pretty well for that.

Hopefully now he can continue it here.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot that Imageshack ate a bunch of the images from it. What's left is still pretty good, though.

A finer entrance there could not be.

Welcome, old friend. Pull up a seat and tell us of your travels while the barkeep draws you an ale.

No ale for me, my good Sir.

I need not a drink to make me purr.

For a feeling of pain has struck my poor abused liver,

Sweet Jesus, believe you me, did it ever make me shiver.

Seeming you are so keen to indulge,

The full tale I shall now divulge.

These playful rhymes; please do no misconstrue.

For you see, every word you see and I say is true.

Returning from the pub a fortnight ago,

Basking in that hazy, moonshine fueled glow.

I stumbled around in the dark,

a foolish 31 year old who thinks he's just having a lark.

Searching for that front door key,

A reflection in the mirror I did see;

a slumped, stinking, alcoholic bore.

Well and truly rotten to the core.

The doctor shook his weary head as he said;

"Carry on and in fifteen years you'll be dead!"

At that moment, a change I knew I must make,

if nothing else, for my family's sake.

"Avast ye, booze hound of old";

"I cast you out, you have been told".

My mouth slurring those words like a festering maw,

In that very moment I quoth the word "nevermore".

Here I stand today,

Two full weeks of keeping booze away.

Get wasted again, I hear you say?

Pah! That'll be the day.

Woo Davies made an appearance.

Indeed, after so much time, I made an appearance.

Though as I continue to rhyme, you could say that it's closer to incoherence.

Sadly, I must say with some regret,

That soon I must depart the Internet.

For only four days I possess,

Before I must return to my home address.

DAVIES!

Okay, the move is now complete. No one else can move over from TTG.

Somewhere, a lonely cock is weeping,

Or to put it another way he's seeping.

Now his only friend is a sheep.

My dear friend, how can you sleep?

No ale, you say? Well, in that case, a round of lemonade for our good friend! And if not lemonade, then whatever you desire! This place appears to have no limit to the range of beverages it contains. Somehow.

It's with a heavy heart that we shall lose you, and so soon after welcoming you to your new home! Life moves in mysterious ways it seems.

You have no idea how saddening it is that we'll only have you for four days, Davies. Obviously, Cockerel needs an introduction before the time is up!

No ale, you say? Well, in that case, a round of lemonade for our good friend! And if not lemonade, then whatever you desire! This place appears to have no limit to the range of beverages it contains. Somehow.

It's with a heavy heart that we shall lose you, and so soon after welcoming you to your new home! Life moves in mysterious ways it seems.

Aw, don't fret, my friend. I'll be checking back here every few months or so to annoy you lot with my terrible sense of humour and the pungent stench of cheap Stilton that follows me everywhere (yes, everywhere - even over the Internet). After-all, I love you fellow social-misfit-freaks (or "forumites" if you insist on being polite about it) like a dog loves a rabbit (only, my love is marginally less savage)... Actually, no. That's an awful metaphor!

I love you all like a dog loves a bone (only, I slobber all over you peeps considerably more than a dog drools on a bone... whilst you sleep blissfully unawares no less)... Nope, it's still an absolutely dire metaphor.

Okay, I've got it! I love you all like a Vietnamese prostitute loves a long time. No really, that's a pretty apt metaphor considering I'm willing to service every single one of you for a dime (or a nickel if your name happens to be Coolsome).

On a slightly more serious note (yeah, I'm capable of that from time to time); By giving up drink, I'm saving a whopping £300 a month (yeah, I drank that much at my peak - which by my estimates is enough to get six burly men or two-dozen heavyset dwarfs drunk for a month) which means I can finally afford the means to keep in contact with you all on a regular basis. That's right, I'm going to hire a professional bad-sort (like you see on that Eastenders programme of visual entertainments what appears on that there yonder magic box in the corner) to kidnap you all. I'll keep you all locked up in a cupboard and run experiments on you to see how long a human being (or in this case, more likely a nerd - they don't qualify as human. In fact, they're slightly below gophers on the food chain) can survive by consuming their own feces.

It was either the kidnap thing or perhaps it was something to do with getting the Internet... I forget which.

You have no idea how saddening it is that we'll only have you for four days, Davies. Obviously, Cockerel needs an introduction before the time is up!

Now now, 'mortis. You know as well as I; that I only whip my cock out on special occasions. For example, kids parties.

Welcome to the refuge Davies!

Jennifer! Yays! Rejoice one and all. It's so nice to catch up with all you peeps from the TTG forum.

I'm thinking of joining the community over at 'Mix N Mojo' as well by the way, so I'll probably see you over there as well.

Now, where the devil did that Fawful get to? Or should that be "now, where the Fawful did that devil get to?"