Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

He's about. I'll let him know that you're back and he'll probably put in an appearance.

Cool, thankski verski muchski, budski.

It would be great to catch up with his good self generally speaking but I also really wanted to get a copy of his work-in-progress adventure game, again; generally speaking (I've been meaning to ask him about that for sometime) but also because now that I've started working on my own indie adventure, I want to see how ol' Fawful's approaching his project. Maybe we could give each other feedback... or herpes.

He's about. I'll let him know that you're back and he'll probably put in an appearance.

It would be great to catch up with his good self generally speaking but I also really wanted to get a copy of his work-in-progress adventure game, again; generally speaking (I've been meaning to ask him about that for sometime) but also because now that I've started working on my own indie adventure, I want to see how ol' Fawful's approaching his project. Maybe we could give each other feedback... or herpes.

He's actually got a demo now. I played through it and it's great.

The smoking simian returns! Too cool for school, Coolsome. Too cool for school...

He's actually got a demo now. I played through it and it's great.

Sweet. I'm looking forward to trying that out. I've seen some screenshots and it certainly looks the part.

Glad you came over. I hope everything is going well for you these days, we do miss you... okay... I, I miss you. You're a fun guy.

Glad you came over. I hope everything is going well for you these days, we do miss you... okay... I, I miss you. You're a fun guy.

Thanks, Johro. Very kind words, Sir. You're a cool guy.

I miss not being able to check in on the forums (was 'TellTale Games'; now 'Double Fine') and catch up with you all on a regular basis anymore. The people in this thread are really affable, decent sorts; who are fun to chat to online. Ho hum, I'll get the Internet at my flat at some point I'm sure. Until then, I'm going to make the most of the Internet (and of course this forum) over the next few days. I've got some stuff lined up for my YouTube channel (I'm recording a couple of things for it tomorrow).

By the way, is there a 'General Art' thread on this forum? I want to post some old art pieces that I dug up whilst clearing out some space on my harddrive. I've noticed the 'Fan Art' thread but none of my stuff is "fan" art, so surely it doesn't belong in there?! Thanks in advance, I don't want to create a separate thread if it's not necessary.

By the way, is there a 'General Art' thread on this forum? I want to post some old art pieces that I dug up whilst clearing out some space on my harddrive. I've noticed the 'Fan Art' thread but none of my stuff is "fan" art, so surely it doesn't belong in there?! Thanks in advance, I don't want to create a separate thread if it's not necessary.

Why of course there is!

Oh yes, hello Davies!

tumblr_mvvv60sBfl1t0bevyo1_250.gif

Davies is one of those folks that you see on TV as a serial killer(okay the photo doesn't help) and think "he was always such a nice guy". A man who has maintained positivity and humility through the ups and down, has had fun and been original on the forums without resorting to blatantly breaking rules or shock humour. We've never conversed outside the forums, but he is a great guy... Even if he doesn't like the film "Aliens".

;) I had to add that last jab. It's the way I am. lol Every compliment has a sort of backhand. It keeps folks humble and myself true.

In short... Davies is the man I've always wished I could be.

Definitely. At very least, my persona. The classiest thing ever was when he was gone for a long time and then came back to post a picture of himself smiling against a police car and leaving ourselves to guess for a while. I would've ranted from my phone a page long about that crap. That was class. I really don't mean to gush, but I know for a fact that there's pieces of himself that he hasn't been overly open about on the forum. It does take wisdom to know where to draw the line though and that has left an impression on me as someone who has taken the time to study psychology and sociology and still not immediately know it. Good form.

Why of course there is!

Thanks, matey. Much obliged. I now have somewhere to post my pictures of stick figures rutting like rabbits.

Davies is one of those folks that you see on TV as a serial killer

Um, yes... on TV. Not in real life. At all. *cough*

...Even if he doesn't like the film "Aliens".

Hey! I like 'Aliens', it's actually a pretty good movie...

I just don't like the way that it turned a masterpiece of science-fiction horror into a commercially orientated, popcorn munching, happily ever after flick. Also, some of the dialogue is incredibly cheesy (none more so than as that ridiculous "get away from her, you bitch" line). Oh and any movie that prominently features a screaming little girl for much of it's running time is sure to grate.

... Actually, what am I talking about?! I bloody hate 'Aliens'! It's a terrible movie. In fact, I'd sooner spray myself with skunk pheromones, adorn a sign that reads 'An Easy Lay, This Way Lies' and dance the hoochie coochie, than watch that sorry excuse for a movie again. Still, beats watching 'Avatar' I suppose.

In short... Davies is the man I've always wished I could be.

Oh, that's easy. You just need to survive on a diet of 'Monster Munch', smoke 20 a day, have a exclusive relationship with online skin-flicks, moan about "the bloody weather" at every available opportunity and be absolutely atrocious at percentile mathematics.

I know for a fact that you're a fellow Brit, so I'm sure that you already have the weather part down to a tee.

See, you're already 90% like me.

Davies was once voted sexiest male on the TTG forums.

That's an outright lie and you know it. I was however voted the most sexist male on the TTG forums. To my credit though, I am quite a sexy sexist.

This thread is now all about massaging Davies' ego.

Quite. As flattering as it is, I must ask you all to kindly stop now, lest I turn redder than a Russian baboon's bottom.

Why of course there is!

Thanks, matey. Much obliged. I now have somewhere to post my pictures of stick figures rutting like rabbits.

I could have sworn that's what the Dropchord subforum was for...

Davies is one of those folks that you see on TV as a serial killer(okay the photo doesn't help)
He looks like Aragorn to me. =p

I once dated a girl but she turned out to be a real tell-tale tit.

My friends; they cursed her but I really couldn't care one bit.

Content with shallow praise and riches she had become,

But you know what? No real harm done.

Yes, alright, so she left me for a trendy, new-age crowd.

Those teens who are brash, abrasive and not to mention, oh so incredibly loud.

It really is time to accept that the girl I once loved has gone,

But I hold no grudges; if you like her now then I readily say "play on".

I soldiered forward through torrential rain and mist,

Consumed by lovelorn, I did clench my fist.

Searching for a new companion but to no avail.

Eventually though, I did find my holy grail.

My love, my saviour; my shiny new pearl,

I now love you, my one and only girl.

She who is the goddess that I now exclusively dine.

The one who is so exquisite, I simply call her 'double fine'.

This is brilliant. Telltale, the ex that forgot you were there through all the good times and bad.. but has left you for something far more shallow

I once dated a girl but she turned out to be a real tell-tale tit.

My friends; they cursed her but I really couldn't care one bit.

Content with shallow praise and riches she had become,

But you know what? No real harm done.

Yes, alright, so she left me for a trendy, new-age crowd.

Those teens who are brash, abrasive and not to mention, oh so incredibly loud.

It really is time to accept that the girl I once loved has gone,

But I hold no grudges; if you like her now then I readily say "play on".

I soldiered forward through torrential rain and mist,

Consumed by lovelorn, I did clench my fist.

Searching for a new companion but to no avail.

Eventually though, I did find my holy grail.

My love, my saviour; my shiny new pearl,

I now love you, my one and only girl.

She who is the goddess that I now exclusively dine.

The one who is so exquisite, I simply call her 'double fine'.

If you put writing like that into a videogame Davies, you would have yourself a bloody good game on your hands man.

If you put writing like that into a videogame Davies, you would have yourself a bloody good game on your hands man.

Thanks. Writing is a skill that comes fairly naturally to me so I have no doubts about the quality of writing in regards to the adventure game I'm making. Puzzles and graphics on the other hand...

Actually, it just occurred to me that it could be fun to make a very short adventure game, where the entire story is told through rhyme. Does anyone know if such a thing already exists?

Thanks. Writing is a skill that comes fairly naturally to me so I have no doubts about the quality of writing in regards to the adventure game I'm making. Puzzles and graphics on the other hand...

Actually, it just occurred to me that it could be fun to make a very short adventure game, where the entire story is told through rhyme. Does anyone know if such a thing already exists?

Rhyme is one thing. I'll start getting interested if you also do the whole thing in iambic pentameter.

Not sure myself Davies, but it would be nice if it was an adventure game narrated by a slightly sarcastic and patronising british person.

(Kind of like Steven Fry when he's talking in Little Big Planet! xD)

"Charlie picked himself up an apple,

The reason why? he did not grapple"

"At the door stood an elf who looked most sour,

Charlie thought that he might like a flower,

And he gave him this flower, thinking it might brighten his day,

But the elf decided to kill him anyway..."

Rhyme is one thing. I'll start getting interested if you also do the whole thing in iambic pentameter.

Whilst I do enjoy a good challenge, writing an entire game using iambic pentameter is just too rich for my tastes. I think I'll stick with something easier, for example; climbing Mount Everest.

Not sure myself Davies, but it would be nice if it was an adventure game narrated by a slightly sarcastic and patronising british person...

Well, I am British and according to my ex-girlfriend, I'm certainly not lacking when it comes to "relentless sarcasm" or being "a patronising dick", so it looks like I'm the man for the job.

Oh, you want to know how my game is going? It's not. That's how it's going. I have no puzzles written. After five years of trying. At various stages I've had various numbers of puzzles written and I keep throwing them out because they suck. Imagine being in love with a girl. This girl loves your best friend. They get together. Your friend lives with you. They have loud splashy, squicky sex in the other room every night. You have to listen to them climax connected together every night. Sometimes you accidentally walk in on your best friend shoving his pole in her greedy hole, shoving the shaft in with continuous squick noises, feeling sick to your stomach at the sight of their pleasured, inhuman sex faces. Finally, one night, they move into your room and proceed to make love in front of you, while the girl screams about how much better this is than it would be with your sorry ass, and how ugly you are, how you don't deserve love because you're gross, and how you should kill yourself to spare yourself the misery of never getting to do what they're doing at the moment. Imagine running out crying, running to the closet, getting a rope, throwing it over a ceiling fan, and sobbing as you remember how your father told you you were ugly and worthless and your mother called you the mistake, as they loudly orgasm in the other room. Imagine jumping from a chair, the rope tightening around your neck, tears rolling down your face as your final moments are them laughing at your demise, happiness in their faces, as the world goes cold and dark.

That's how I feel every night as I look at an empty design document, unable to write, screaming on the inside because I'm trying SO HARD.

Welcome to Double Fine, Davies. I'm glad you're here.

@Fawful REALLY bad idea to write a design document, just let the ideas flow onto random scraps of paper and such. I know you can write, you've just proved that.

@Secret Fawful

Sounds like you're too ambitious and getting nowhere. Try to take smaller steps and iterate on them. Once you can walk with them you can try to make bigger ones again. So, instead of trying to plan A-Z upfront, think about A-B or U-V only, look at them, does it feel right to you? Maybe you want to try it from a different angle? Try out A2-B2 maybe then B-C, A3-B3, B2-C2, ...

There are tons of ways to get started, don't take things too serious in the beginning, play around with them, things don't have to be perfect. Just write something down, scribble around, play some music, try different places, do something else (still a certain part of your brain might work on the problem), talk to others (talking to one person can lead to nothing whilst talking to another one can make kaboom) or you could constrain yourself on purpose to focus, alter the colour of your paper/pen/light/skin... just do it and as written before, iterate. Sometimes ideas hit you out of nowhere and are perfectly right, sometimes it's hard work coming up with the right ones.

The best ideas or the spicy details might not show up sitting in front of an empty paper (or text editor, btw. there are tons of different editors with different kind of moods/capabilities) first but normally they show up once there is something on the paper already and whilst you're doing it, when writing down idea A, idea B comes up to your mind which introduces you to idea C and a better version of A etc. Anyway, over time, the more you get used to it, the better/faster you should get at it (and also less compromised by all that stuff). If the problem doesn't enhance at all then you might better stop and return to it sometime later. If this and other tactics don't lead to anything then try to be honest with yourself and consider if you're old/talented enough already. There is a difference between liking something and being good at creating the same thing on your own. Many people also need to make experiences on their own first (to have lived a certain part of their life already) before they can tell good stories.

I'm sure there exist tons of books & materials (try to avoid the artsy fartsy stuff) in how to get your creative

, how to write or how to design a game. Sometimes it's good to know some theories (and from a certain size under certain conditions on you also need to know what you're doing), sometimes it can be counter productive (if you're more a natural and considering all this theories is holding you back). People are different (at least slightly) but like so often in life the golden line might be somewhere in you personal middle. Some of this knowledge silently floating around in the back of your head whilst your brain is open and the sight is clear.

Fawful is always their own worst critic. Extremely hard on himself. Supposedly, puzzles are easiest to design starting backwards. Z-M, getting further from your result without leaving the realm of reasonability. Then go to where you're starting and work A-L, meeting where you left off. From a game perspective, Fawful would know better than most of us though. He may be going through a rough patch but he's a connoisseur on this topic. All the tools for a fantastic game are locked somewhere in his head. I guess it's just a matter of translating what he loves and what's been successful into his own game in his own way. Don't give up on it.