Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Wasn't LeChuck trying to send everyone on a death coaster through a volcano to make his undead army? But anyway, why did he build it on MI??
Because Big Whoop is a portal to Hell. It is unclear whether The Giant Monkey Head /is/ Big Whoop, or else The Giant Monkey Head /leads/ to Big Whoop. In SOMI, Guybrush says he always thought there'd be mushrooms in Hell; in COMI, LeChuck describes going through the portal and becoming undead, and the tourists are turned undead by going through the Giant Monkey Head and plunged temporarily into the lava underneath it. This is where I say EFMI makes no sense. SOMI's Giant Monkey Head has a giant monkey skeleton attached to it--there is no room for a robot.
I thought that he never really hated Harry, but had to pretend to because it was so important that he stayed within Voldemort's inner circle.
My wife says this. I disagree. Snape hated Harry long before he knew Voldemort was still around. Philosopher's Stone describes how Snape seemed to hate Harry since Harry's very first potions class. What it comes down to is that Snape completely despised Harry's father (akin to Harry and Draco), but he absolutely adored Harry's mother. The 8th movie also portays the situation in that Snape was extremely jealous of James for stealing Lily away from him. Anyway, Harry looks (and, to Snape's mind, acts) so much like his father, that Snape can't help but to hold on to this very old grudge. And yet, Snape loved Lily so much that he is willing to agree to protect her son. His love is also evident in that his patronus is still the same as Lily's was. Of course, Voldemort can not comprehend love, and so Snape can use this at his advantage, making it easier to hide his love for Lily in the guise of mere sexual desire.

Which is kinda ironic considering that Harry is so much more like Lily than he is like James. On the outside he has a few more of James' qualities, like looking like him, being good at Quidditch, or disregard for the rules... but personality-wise he's far more like Lily. But since he's always hanging around James' friends they only comment on how he's like James and Lily's closest friend refuses to see anything more than a tiny James. So he never really gets to hear how similar he is.

Just wondering if you've played 'The Curse of Monkey Island'? That game's last act takes place at the amusement park on Monkey Island and it explains why it's there and what it is.

It didn't explain jack S-H-I-T.

Yes it does. It explains that MI2's ending was lame and stupid, and it does its best to recover from what originally was no more than a huge WTF brain fart of Ron Gilbert's.

Yes, MI2 is a great game overall but its ending is crap, and one thing I learned from being in a school band is that the 2 things people most remember about an event are the first impression and the last impression.

Yes it does. It explains that MI2's ending was lame and stupid, and it does its best to recover from what originally was no more than a huge WTF brain fart of Ron Gilbert's.

Yes, MI2 is a great game overall but its ending is crap, and one thing I learned from being in a school band is that the 2 things people most remember about an event are the first impression and the last impression.

You're lame and stupid. Except when you had a fight with Kevin Bruner....that was awesome.

I want to say it was over the new site and the non-classic adventure games Telltale make now, but I think I'm wrong about one of those, so I won't say anything just to be safe.

As far as I remember (and I actually just checked to be sure) it all started when Kevin came into the forum improvement thread with a post that was both dismissive and patronizing and kept posting in the same manner, even though a lot of valid concerns were raised.

The argument with Kevin got pretty messy but at the point most of us had already decided we wanted to move over here and didn't really care about what happened any more...

He was very dismissive and made it clear they didn't care about any of their current users and was just reliant on new people arriving upon TWAU and TWDS2 announcements...

Ah yes, that was it. I think this was Kevin's first post in that thread (just checked - it was), so read on from here for the whole mess.

I feel an overwhelming need to repost my contribution to that discussion, and the subsequent insanity that led from it. So here it is!

Darth: OK, just so we're clear - this post is not made as a mod. Hell, for the purposes of this post, just forget I even AM a mod. I say the following as a long-time user of this forum, and as that alone. OK? Good.

"It has been argued that this will encourage people to childishly down vote a user in a punitive fashion. I have more faith in our community than that."

I'm glad you have faith in people, Kevin. As a realist and someone who's motto in life is "People are stupid, but some hide it better than others", I do NOT have faith in people. Because people are stupid. You give them even the slightest chance to show this, and they will always rise to the occasion. Every single time.

The thumbs up/thumbs down feature hasn't been abused YET. But it will. Once TWAU launches, we're going to get an infux of people, most of whom will adhere to Gabe's Internet F**kwad Theory. I don't doubt that most of the people posting will act like kids (or will ACTUALLY be kids, age limit be damned) and they will downvote the hell out of anything they even remotely dislike.

The fact that you've made the decision to stick with the Reddit-lite style, despite the overwhelming negativity you got every time you showed it to people is incredibly discouraging. I get that you've invested time and money in it and you want to give it a fair chance - believe me, I do. Probably more so than some of the other disgruntled foru- sorry, community members. But the fact that you seem so determined to stay with it, so convinced that it will work despite everything leaning to the contrary... it just gives the impression that you're out of touch with what people want from this place.

I don't want to go back to the old "oh, it's not the same Telltale any more, they spit in the face of old-school adventure fans" argument, but you really do just see to be making it yourselves with actions like this. We have given you solid feedback, time and again, and it really does seem like you've done nothing with it. It makes us feel like you don't care about us. I HATE feeling like that. I used to love you guys. I want to love you again.

Communicating with us like you are now is a great step forward. It's awesome that you're taking time out of what must be a rather busy period to chat with us in this way. I just wish you had more positive things to say. Even if it's just a glimmer of hope. A "we're open to reviewing things down the line if they don't work out the way we'd hoped" really would mean the WORLD to us. And I get that what I'M saying probably isn't gonna change your mind and make everything better. I don't expect it to (which in itself is kinda depressing - I'm talking to the VP of a company and I know that nothing I say will really matter).

But please - just try and think about this from our point of view for a second and see if you can understand why we're so upset. This used to be home for a lot of us. Now most of us have moved out and this is just a place that exists, devoid of everything that made it so welcoming. It's not a home any more - it's a hotel, and I suspect most people brought here from TWAU will treat it as such. Once they leave - and they WILL leave - we're gonna have to clean crap off the walls, replace broken furniture, recarpet the floor, torture analogies... :P

Maybe time will tell. I certainly hope it will.

Pretty sure that was the first time I did the foru-COMMUNITY bit. Oddly appropriate.

Kevin: Though I'm aware you'd like to demote me, I'm the co-founder, president and CTO of the company. We started this whole thing in my apartment 8 years ago. Despite that, what you say does matter! It's a pity that your instinct is to assume that participants in the discussion are defaulted to stupid. I will say I'm not too comfortable with a mod on our forum who's first instinct is to assume that about the people posting here. You've been around here for a very long time and always had great things to contribute. Please take a step back and try not to be elitist and remain objective.
Well, obviously I couldn't let THAT go unchallenged.
Darth: OK, let's go through this.

"Though I'm aware you'd like to demote me, I'm the co-founder, president and CTO of the company. We started this whole thing in my apartment 8 years ago."

My bad, I got your position mixed up with something else. As for demoting you... I don't think ANYONE wants to demote you. Lots of other things, maybe, but not demote you. :P

"It's a pity that your instinct is to assume that participants in the discussion are defaulted to stupid. I will say I'm not too comfortable with a mod on our forum who's first instinct is to assume that about the people posting here."

I wouldn't assume anything unless experience has taught me to do so. This is the internet we're dealing with, after all. If people prove to be intelligent, then I'm happy to treat them as such, as I'm sure most people will attest to Unfortunately, The Walking Dead launch has taught me that the new guys tend to be... well, very 'noobish', shall we say.

"Please take a step back and try not to be elitist and remain objective."

I do. Well, I try to. Same difference.

Right. That's the two lines of my post that you decided to pick on for no real reason. Any thoughts on the other five paragraphs?

I regret using the word 'noobish', as my later post will confirm. I meant it though - they really can at times.

Kevin: We are inviting lots of "noobs" to the site. That is what the site is for! Everytime we get a new license (The Walking Dead, Fables, much more unannounced stuff) we are going to be flooded with "noobs". You simply have to get used to this. It's who we are. And they are going to be who they are going to be. You're stating your disrespect for The Walking Dead fans, and presuming that the Wolf fans will disrespectfully "trash the place" like a hotel room. You don't want to sound like an old curmudgeon who just wants old fans and rejects all the new, do you? As a mod, please attempt to make them feel welcome. The rest of your post sounded to me like questions that have been asked and answered repeatedly. Was I missing some new aspect of your argument?

(to be continued in next post)

I love how dismissive he was of the many actually important points I brought up that, in all honesty, still to this day have not been satisfactorily answered (despite his claims), and how focused he was instead on my own personal feelings that in no way affected how I act as a moderator.

Actually, love is quite clearly the wrong word. Feel free to substitute your own.

Darth: ...y'know what? I had a big long post here defending myself and explaining my views, but when I went to look back on it, I realized I didn't care.

If you think what I said prevents me from moderating this forum, than by all means, strip of me of my modship and I will leave, head held high and never looking back But I can tell you right now that my personal opinion has not stopped me up until now, and I have no intention of letting it stop me in the future. I am fully capable of acting in an impartial manner, even when I'd rather not. I am fully capable of acting in a professional manner, even when I don't want to. I am fully capable of moderating this site, even if I'd rather be doing something else.

I can't be bothered to defend myself further than that. If you really want to focus on this, then go ahead. But I'd say we have far bigger problems, and I am not one of them.

Edit: OK, looking back at my previous post, I probably picked the wrong word. Replace 'noobish' with 'immature' and you have closer to what I meant. New people can act incredibly immature, and they can drown out everyone else. We got this with TWD, and we're probably going to get it with TWAU. If we don't... I'll admit I was wrong. If we do... well. Then I get to do a "I told you so" dance.

And this post... wow, this one came across as angry. I guess I got a wee bit defensive there. But you know what? I don't regret saying ANY of it. Like, AT ALL. Seriously.

[At this point, I addressed someone else who waded into the conversation]

I wouldn't outright ban anyone for breaking a rule. If anything, I'm known for being too LENIENT with people. It's how I tend to approach things on the forum. My personal opinion doesn't affect how I act on the site, which since becoming a mod has been in a (somewhat) professional manner. I am aware of who I represent and I try to ACT accordingly, even if I may not personally THINK that way.

The mods are negative about this foru-COMMUNITY for many of the same reasons everyday posters are negative about it, and for a few reasons that you aren't seeing (the mod tools, among other things). We're not just mods - we're also people who loved the site, and the changeover has been... complicated to say the least, so yeah, we're not gonna love everything about it. The fact you're surprised at this surprises ME.

I'm going to pick one sentence that you posted, because it's phrased so awkwardly that I have trouble making sense of it:

"I respectfully request to believe in people till they do something to remove your confidence. Rather then believe they all are stupid."

...I really hope you aren't asking me to change how I feel about people. Because that... that's just not gonna happen, and certainly not because you just up and asked me to. You can ask me to change how I act on this forum, but don't ask me to change how I feel.

As for that last line of yours... I phrased my post awkwardly and that, I suspect, kicked things off, for which I apologise. I didn't mean to actively insult newcomers, just point out that some of them - a rather vocal some - can act rather childish.

After that, he stepped away and didn't return. So yeah, that was MY contribution to the argument. Hope you enjoyed the read (and insight into the man-child that I am)!

Is this thread the equivalent of the 'Whatever's on Your Mind' thread from TTG? Because I've been using it like one and I don't know if there's some fabulous posts going on in some other thread! Anyway, here's what's on my mind...

I'm just putting the finishing touches to an audio reading of my favourite short-story, 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream'. I wish YouTube didn't impose a 10 minute limit on videos for people who don't get much traffic, like me. I've had to split my narration into 5 parts, which breaks the pacing of the story somewhat. Oh well, it's better than nothing I suppose.

Wow Darth Marsden that was interesting. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. I've met Kevin and he is actually a really nice guy. I did the savesamandmax.com site and he actually ordered one of the "Max Lives" t-shirts a fan had designed and wore it into LucasArts after they'd all been told they were fired. When they first created Moderators for the Telltale site I was the first person they thought of. I was the first mod of the forums, I was also one of the first members of the Telltale forum. When they changed the forums recently I was removed as a moderator and no one even told me or told me why. I guess that shows how no one really knows their history over there. I was always looking at the Sam & Max forums and there was nothing really to moderate because it seems they've abandoned that series too. If Jake still worked at Telltale I know that would never have happened. Anyway I'm glad I got to visit Telltale and meet Jake, Doug & Emily. I'm glad i got to meet Dan & Kevin. I'm glad I organised those gift baskets for telltale workers after each sam & max season. I'm glad I was there when Telltale was good.. but these days I just have no love for what they are doing..they have abandoned their history for no real good reason and shunned all the old school fans. It's a real shame.

Oh, Hero1? I didn't realize that was you!

I also got to meet Kevin in person, last year at PAX Prime. Between that interaction and what I've seen on the Telltale boards recently (or at least as recently as when I quit the mod team last month, as I haven't been back to the forums since), my impression is that he's a really nice guy who genuinely wants to do what's best for his community but has some really unfortunate ideas about how to do that. He's not making these decisions about the community for some evil, mean-spirited reason. He's just making stupid decisions with good intentions.

Whatever. He touched me. On my hand, with his, sure, but he touched me. I feel violated. Evil, I tell you. He's evil. I can't trust someone named Kevin, especially if I'm a burglar on Christmas Eve.

Wow Darth Marsden that was interesting. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. I've met Kevin and he is actually a really nice guy. I did the savesamandmax.com site and he actually ordered one of the "Max Lives" t-shirts a fan had designed and wore it into LucasArts after they'd all been told they were fired. When they first created Moderators for the Telltale site I was the first person they thought of. I was the first mod of the forums, I was also one of the first members of the Telltale forum. When they changed the forums recently I was removed as a moderator and no one even told me or told me why. I guess that shows how no one really knows their history over there. I was always looking at the Sam & Max forums and there was nothing really to moderate because it seems they've abandoned that series too. If Jake still worked at Telltale I know that would never have happened. Anyway I'm glad I got to visit Telltale and meet Jake, Doug & Emily. I'm glad i got to meet Dan & Kevin. I'm glad I organised those gift baskets for telltale workers after each sam & max season. I'm glad I was there when Telltale was good.. but these days I just have no love for what they are doing..they have abandoned their history for no real good reason and shunned all the old school fans. It's a real shame.

Speaking of the savesamandmax.com site...

...should we try to bring it back?

Ignoring us was never going to work...

Telltale had done that for years and it took them breaking the foru-COMMUNITY to get rid of us...

Ignoring us was never going to work...

Telltale had done that for years and it took them breaking the foru-COMMUNITY to get rid of us...

If anything, we get more persistent when ignored.

Ahh, it's not perfect but for fan art it's pretty good plus it captures a certain mood.

Imagine it would play like Indy 4, i would buy it, right now.