Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

We know you want that Mr.Bean adventure game, but it'll just have to wait.

Silly Johro! That's not how you spell

!

Am I the only one surprised with the games people are coming up with that TTG should do? On top of always making their own thread instead of using the Telltale should make thread that is right at the top of the general chat.

I'm pretty sure people did that quite a lot before the ForuCOMMUNITY...

Having had a little look the suggestions in the thread and the front page they are kind of what I'd expect...

Breaking Bad, Halo,Shining, Harry Potter, Titanic etc...

It actually wasn't that bad when The Telltale should make thread was made a sticky but when the new forums came in, that's when new users decided that A.Their game idea was just so amazing it required its own thread (which they didn't) or B.Ignore It.

Also those ideas for games are crap with the only two I even see could work being Harry Potter although if you want my opinion, the worst idea in that was Halo. Borderlands from what I've played of Borderlands 2 and Poker Night 2, seems to be more of a comedy shooter with its cel-shaded look and could work in the style of The Wolf Among Us. Halo in my opinion just wouldn't work.

EDIT:
Hey everyone :) Well another person from the TTG forums has joined :P
Hi, Ryan.

Hi Chyron :)

We know you want that Mr.Bean adventure game, but it'll just have to wait.

I would actually like a Mr.Bean game, the comedy would be there and it would be good for puzzles, for example, a puzzle could be having to rush to the dentist like in one of the Mr.Bean episodes but Mr.Bean has lost his keys and needs to get ready. A Mr.Bean adventure game could be fun.

Am I the only one surprised with the games people are coming up with that TTG should do? On top of always making their own thread instead of using the Telltale should make thread that is right at the top of the general chat.

I'm pretty sure people did that quite a lot before the ForuCOMMUNITY...

Having had a little look the suggestions in the thread and the front page they are kind of what I'd expect...

Breaking Bad, Halo,Shining, Harry Potter, Titanic etc...

It actually wasn't that bad when The Telltale should make thread was made a sticky but when the new forums came in, that's when new users decided that A.Their game idea was just so amazing it required its own thread (which they didn't) or B.Ignore It.

Also those ideas for games are crap with the only two I even see could work being Harry Potter although if you want my opinion, the worst idea in that was Halo. Borderlands from what I've played of Borderlands 2 and Poker Night 2, seems to be more of a comedy shooter with its cel-shaded look and could work in the style of The Wolf Among Us. Halo in my opinion just wouldn't work.

Nope!

The problem is that the General Chat section (or whatever it's called) is so well hidden these days that people don't even know it exists, leading to 'Telltale should make...' threads popping up in the other sections.

And when people DO find General Chat (or whatever it's called), they just don't bother to skim the stickied threads, instead preferring to create their own. That's nothing new though - it's just that we can't merge threads any more, so we can't make these threads vanish like we used to.

As for people's ideas... I've yet to see a genuinely bad one, but I agree that a fair few of them haven't really been thought through all that well. Breaking Bad, for example, is a fairly self-contained story with liffle wiggle room to insert a new one... unless it featured a side character as the protagonist of the game.

I could actually see a Halo adventure game working fairly well if they went that route. Maybe don't make it about Master Chief, but one of the Earth-bound techs or something. Halo has a pretty rich universe, and it's not like there haven't been games in other genres, so why not a Telltale-style 'adventure' one?

The thing is, Telltale's games barely qualify as adventure games any more. By their own admission they tend to think of them as RPGs, and if you stop to think about it you can see they're kind-of right - TWD and TWAU play like a combat-less version of Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol. Once you start thinking of making games in THAT style as opposed to proper point-&-click adventures, you'll see lots of different franchises working.

Hey, i want to post on a 101 thread's page too.

Hmm, maybe, nah, ahh, do there exist more bad or good games with bones in it?

Dungeon Master/Grim Fandango/Bone/... vs. ?

I guess due to how bad games usually outnumber good ones they win this category as well.

You are pretty whiny.

*Sir Duke*

WINE? I REQUIRE MEAD! THE FINEST OF THE LAND AND ALSO THE SAUCIEST OF WENCHES! BRING HENCE FORTH!

I'm surprised at how at home I feel here now. Sure, I can look fondly back on TTG but pretty much everything that kept me going there (towards the end anyway) I can find here, and more. I sure as heck miss the fan interactions from (my) early days. Actually feeling like you were getting to know the developers, getting an insight into the industry.

But hey, DFAF is awesome in its own way. Well, the locals are.

One day I might even make a post in the universe outside the universe outside double fine.

I miss back when they'd just post a thread asking for playtesters. Like, it was something special, seeing that thread, sending them an email and getting a response back inviting me over for pizza. That first time, stepping in to the studio was pretty special... immediately bumped into Will. I brought along a friend without telling them, but they wouldn't hear of her sitting around waiting, so they just cleared off another desk, loaded up the game, and let her play as well. They brought candy for Halloween, one of my friends left some random programmer the gift of a dozen origami turtles on their desk, I met Marius when he was working there, got a line of dialogue and an item into ToMI...

Also, on not one, but two occasions, developers drove my friend and I back from the playtest. Then things started changing and it just felt so... corporate there. Like the last time I was there, they didn't allow any unscheduled people play the game, they set up specific playtesting stations, and most suggestions made by the playtesters were ignored. I mean, the people were still nice, but I didn't know any of them anymore and it just felt very different.

I miss back when they'd just post a thread asking for playtesters. Like, it was something special, seeing that thread, sending them an email and getting a response back inviting me over for pizza. That first time, stepping in to the studio was pretty special... immediately bumped into Will. I brought along a friend without telling them, but they wouldn't hear of her sitting around waiting, so they just cleared off another desk, loaded up the game, and let her play as well. They brought candy for Halloween, one of my friends left some random programmer the gift of a dozen origami turtles on their desk, I met Marius when he was working there, got a line of dialogue and an item into ToMI...

Also, on not one, but two occasions, developers drove my friend and I back from the playtest. Then things started changing and it just felt so... corporate there. Like the last time I was there, they didn't allow any unscheduled people play the game, they set up specific playtesting stations, and most suggestions made by the playtesters were ignored. I mean, the people were still nice, but I didn't know any of them anymore and it just felt very different.

I can't remember, was there a change in management or something after ToMI? That's when things seemed to change big time.

Also what was your item/line? I'll have to look out for them next time I get round to playing it.

Well, in Lair of the Leviathan during the manatee mating part, I really wanted there to be a funny answer for using "Do you know the Heimlich Maneuver?" and I heard that they put in some non-standard response if you choose that one for a specific question.

And then in Rise of the Pirate God, the bit where you chill with Winslow on the raft and have to dive down to the manatee mating grounds to grab some stuff? So when we were playtesting it, nobody knew you could dive down there and people were getting stuck at that part. The design team was thinking that maybe to fix this they'd make you spawn down there so the player would know it was an option, but I suggested to them that a more subtle (and easier to implement) approach would be to put the Manatee Mating grounds buoy in the background since that would be enough information for players to realize they could dive at this location. And that's what they ended up doing.

I really can't remember what was said in reply to "Do you know the Heimlich Maneuver?", but if it wasn't "No, but you hum it and I'll try and sing along" I will be VERY disappointed.

This pretty much sums up what happened to Telltale..they were a very small company and were great with the fans but as they got bigger they kind of lost their soul..

I do think I am very lucky though that I got to visit the studio..I play tested a wallace & gromit episode, talked with joe pinney the designer, got to meet Dan & Kevin.. and Mike Stemmle & Chuck Jordan .. and got to have lunch with Dave grossman, emily, jake & doug. great memories!

Depends on what you're looking at.

Looking at the DFA it already happened, utalising a niche but moving away to a mass market.

Regarding the forum i doubt it or it will take some more time. They are able to watch all the mistakes TTG is doing in this respect (badly choosen/setup forum software, community mods, not interacting/listening anymore, ...). Obviously a different minded audience also has an impact. As long as DF doesn't operate on this level, it should be safe®.

:

Depends on what you're looking at.

Regarding the forum i doubt it or it will take some more time. They are able to watch all the mistakes TTG is doing in this respect (badly choosen/setup forum software, community mods, not interacting/listening anymore, ...). Obviously a different minded audience also has an impact. As long as DF doesn't operate on this level, it should be safe®.

:

Preach it brother. The ways DF involves their fans and creates a community are the yin to the yang of TT. Right around the first Walking Dead, it just went to hell. Their PR team is beyond incompetent, they normally don't have release dates for even the tentpole games until sometimes the week of release, and the community team is non-existent. The community mod concept not only doesn't work, it actually highlights the fact that the company can't be bothered to interact with the fans, and expect the fans to sit over in the forums and take care of themselves.

The agony and teeth-gnashing of literally 100s of threads on tech support forum from gamers whose PC save system was broken and couldn't play the game months after its release, while a single staffer would swoop in every week or so to tell everyone they "couldn't replicate the problem".

The current release disaster of The Wolf Among Us, where the first episode drops in October, and the second episode disappears into the ether (still as of yet unreleased), with 70 odd pages of posts over 3 months begging for an update and total silence from TT until the complaints blew up on reddit, and TT was forced to respond with a "coming soon" update, and then tried to pretend like they were going to respond to the forums that day, anyway. Not to mention they made the first episode free, and there was a 20% price drop on the pre-released game steam, completely undercutting all of the loyal fans who had pre-purchased the game early.

I enjoy the games, I for one don't mind the cinematic experience, I think its good their trying something creative and new. But they're putting zero effort into the fan community building that DF thrives on, and it shows.

Yeah, their community/fan/...-Dingsbums is 0/10, who cares as long as the games sell. I think different about the cinematic experience though, i certainly would prefer an adventure (wouldn't mind if they would do both) but you have to confess that TWAU is a pron star of video games, it looks and sounds great but with almost no brain (not saying that pron stars can't be clever though, no idea, just using the cliché, reminds me of a woman named Angel i once meat on a train down the east coast, hum, no story for a forum) TTG's blogs and posts once were interesting and entertaining, but now, adjectives like embarrassing and premature (in a unfunny way) spring to mind, maybe that's what a certain percentage of the audience expects.

I don't really treat the new cinematic adventures like a game but more like I would a TV show or movie. I know its going to take me about 2.5 hours, and that I'm going to be entertained by the story, not by the puzzles (more like quicktime decisions, really). 400 days was something quite spectacular, not necessarily because of the story or mechanics, but because its an extremely innovative way to approach storytelling, connected but non-linear in either time or order, but still allowing the viewer to influence the outcome. It was like playing a TV show in all the right ways. But I wouldn't call it an adventure game, really.

I do wish we could see another season of their actual adventure games like Sam and Max, or Monkey Island, or even some other new property, but know that they're making megabucks with the new licenses I don't know if those days are coming back. I don't mind, there's plenty of other companies offering adventure games, and I like the community here. Everything changes eventually, and given enough time and success everyone goes corpo.

I do like Telltale's new games but I'd pick another season of Sam and Max, W&G, ToMI or Strong bad ,over every else they are making, in a heart beat...

However if they are going to Narrative experiences over adventure gaming I am least glad they decided to go in the direction of TWD and not Jurassic Park...

I do like Telltale's new games but I'd pick another season of Sam and Max, W&G, ToMI or Strong bad ,over every else they are making, in a heart beat...

However if they are going to Narrative experiences over adventure gaming I am least glad they decided to go in the direction of TWD and not Jurassic Park...

Did you like Back to the Future? I bought and played literally every TT game up to that point, including the CSI ones, but for some reason Back to the Future just didn't grab me. I enjoyed it, just not memorable.

As someone who loves Back to the Future I enjoyed the game but the puzzles were laughably easy and the only time I ever got stuck was on that stupid door puzzle on Episode 5 mainly because the game kept glitching out and I was unable to click on the doors...

But overall I did enjoy it (probably a bit more than TWD) but it wasn't Telltale at its best...

For the record, I gave up on BTTF:TG early on in Episode 2 when I realized it wasn't going to get any better.

It's hard for me to accept that Telltale's turned into such a typical corporate machine, but unfortunately that's pretty much what it is these days. Sad, really. I used to love those guys, and now there's... well, there's no-one to love. Just a machine.

*sigh*

For the [del]freebies[/del] [del]power[/del] [del]freebies[/del] [del]ability to lord over others[/del] [del]freebies[/del] simple fact that I'm needed.

@Arch-Stanton

I stick to that looking a playthrough of their current games is more fun than playing them on your own and this contradicts the purpose of a video game. I don't miss another Sam & Max from them this much because they almost never got it right and Tales depends on the specific episode as well, also, if TTG isn't allowed to alter the universe and things reset at the end of a series, it feels kind of superfluous to me, like those TV shows with numberless episodes which go on and on without that something really happens.

I would like to see a complete Bone series (oldskool), a good new Puzzle Agent, something like TWAU but as an adventure and something new, very very unlikely to happen though.