Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

My soon-to-be wife asked me to flight out with her to Elmira, New York to meet her mom and dad. There goes my weekend fishing trip.

But who knows? It might be fun.

Woah, that's weird. I never thought I'd see my hometown mentioned on a forum. o_O

(unless the forum was related to Mark Twain or something I suppose)

Elmira's not too bad anymore (they've been trying to fix the stupid stuff previous city administrators did, like selling off everything from the amusement park at Eldridge Lake that was part of Elmira since the early 1900's), although there's not much to do this time of year.

@Johro

Lemon shaped sounds nice. Lime shaped too, maybe for the smaller and more tasteful choices/situations. Anyway it doesn't have to explode into a quad tree like structure but spicing up the conversations with options which make you feel that they matter, adding some real alternative routes/dead ends here and there, making better usage of personalizing the game for you based on the decisions you've made (default: locally), maybe, maybe even adding something to think about (puzzles, ohwhowhowh we don't want to anger the new god of gameplay FLOW, at least not too much) where it makes sense (hey, it's up to the design and writing), ... such things could enhance the experience and turn this more into a game again.

In a game with multiple multiple story branches, not only could you only experience a small fraction of the programmed content per playthrough, but potentially several branches lead to dead ends. I seem to recall people hating Sierra adventure games for their dead ends, and it also occurs to me that those Choose Your Own Adventure books I read as a kid were really rather short in story compared to the thickness of any one book.

It's a balancing act but at some points you need multiple branches, otherwise it wont feel like a game and only be a film like experience. I don't want death in LucasArts like adventures but they do fit in these more story driven experiences depending on the license, f.e. i don't see why there should be a problem to die in a franchise like TWD if you're doing something stupid (action or choices related, especially when you could offer multiple steps leading there). The overall gaming time might be shorter (or the dev needs to invest more resources) but it turns such a product into a game at all and adds replay ability.

Aww, I totally missed this thread until now.

I used to hang out a bit in the TTG forums and sort of drifted away after S&M S3 due to a lack of time, though I did try to keep the Linux thread up to date with my experiences with new releases under Wine. I think when I was active I was still using a photo of me with a stack of Weighted Companion Cubes as an avatar. Some may remember the odd piece of fan art here and there.

The lack of community management and erosion of the existing community culture when TWD was picked up was super disappointing for me to see - that more than anything else was the killing blow for me. I really hope puzzlebox has managed to turn things around. I don't envy her her job there.

I started to get active in the DF community when the DFA crowdfunding campaign launched. Now I coordinate a bunch of community stuff \o/

Wow, was it really up to four hours? That downtime system was a really quick hack for db backups that was definitely not scalable. I'm sad it lasted that long without someone investing in a proper replication system for the database.

It's neat to finally get a picture of what was going on. This happened to coincide with when I arrived home from work every day, so getting to download/play a TTG game was next to impossible for me by the end.

I used to hang out a bit in the TTG forums and sort of drifted away after S&M S3 due to a lack of time, though I did try to keep the Linux thread up to date with my experiences with new releases under Wine.

I remember that thread, but don't remember you from it. I think I mostly recognized you from your site and Desura when I started getting more involved with the DFAF community.

I used to hang out a bit in the TTG forums and sort of drifted away after S&M S3 due to a lack of time, though I did try to keep the Linux thread up to date with my experiences with new releases under Wine.

I remember that thread, but don't remember you from it. I think I mostly recognized you from your site and Desura when I started getting more involved with the DFAF community.

IIRC, there were a couple of incarnations of that thread. I think my first post in the current thread was about S&M Season 3 (so a good few pages in I imagine).

I'm considering never going back.

Me too after visiting about an hour ago. Not even general chat is the safe haven it used to be anymore.

And yet, I feel like I still have to. Just to announce updates/new chapters on TMM.

BTW, I just started working up a concept for the sequel, TMM 2: Sunburn.

And yet, I feel like I still have to. Just to announce updates/new chapters on TMM.

Everyone that cares is here too.

Also what happened over there. I haven't been there in months.

Since I know it's you, der_ketzer, I figured I'd let you know: not only are you in the sequel, but you're also the victim.

Also what happened over there. I haven't been there in months.

It looks like the TWD crowd all suddenly discovered general chat at once. There are threads like "The Official Tell Us Your Real Name Thread!", "Who are the people with most likes ?", "EVERYONE APPRECIATION THREAD" and "OFFICIAL jokes and puns and also pick-up lines thread!" popping up that get 100+ posts within a couple of days, with a very generous amount of gifs. It's possible that there are still interesting discussions in there, but it's next to impossible to find that for all the meaningless chit-chat that seem to fill every single thread. And it doesn't really help matters that paging through threads is a painful experience to begin with with the new foru-COMMUNITY solution.

It looks like General discussion wasn't hidden that well compared to the discussions of all of Telltale's old games hidden beneath all those links...

It does look like the upvotes and downvotes created the kind of 'Community' we expected with threads dedicated to telling people to Upvote each other and talking about who has the highest like bar...

It looks like emigrating over here was the correct choice after all...

It looks like the TWD crowd all suddenly discovered general chat at once.

How did that happen? The last I heard Telltale tried very hard to hide anything that isn't The Wolfing Dead Among Us from the public eye by hiding it under more and more layers of links.

I have no idea. I just looked and general chat hasn't become any more visible. Tales from the Borderlands have gotten its own forum preview, similar to TWD and TWAU though.

TftB has had its own foru-COMMUNITY preview since shortly after it was announced, which was months ago. Why we haven't got a Game of Thrones one yet is rather puzzling. Rights issues or something, probably.

I didn't even realize people were posting in the General Chat section until you guys pointed it out. Now I've got a whole other section to manage, and I can't even do it properly because it's pretty damn well hidden. Zod DAMMIT Telltale...

It looks like the TWD crowd all suddenly discovered general chat at once. There are threads like "The Official Tell Us Your Real Name Thread!", "Who are the people with most likes ?", "EVERYONE APPRECIATION THREAD" and "OFFICIAL jokes and puns and also pick-up lines thread!" popping up that get 100+ posts within a couple of days, with a very generous amount of gifs. It's possible that there are still interesting discussions in there, but it's next to impossible to find that for all the meaningless chit-chat that seem to fill every single thread. And it doesn't really help matters that paging through threads is a painful experience to begin with with the new foru-COMMUNITY solution.

I'm actually glad to see General Chat get used again. It was a ghost town in there.

As for the goofy gif/meme threads/etc. There were always threads like that at the Telltale forums, but they were always in Forum Games. The discussion is not actually that different than it was before, it's just that the faces over there are different now.

While it's good to see General Chat getting some use....Yeah I think It's a double edged sword. To be honest, there just isn't many interesting topics being talked about in my opinion. Even the new ones that are on when I checked today (Which was just a quick look through General Chat) were top 10s and stuff like TTG's community and features such as likes which as Jen said belong in the Forum Games section. I'll admit I made a lot of threads about different games and comics but at least a fair amount of them were fun to discuss, things you could give opinions about etc. Even the Batman thread made it to over 50 pages and if I remember over 1000 posts which was amazing as Batman is one of my favourite superheroes. Ratchet & Clank was another of my favourites because I was able to talk about the series with other fans...and compare trophies when the HD Trilogy came :P. Now there just isn't any threads that interest me, Honestly what I see from looking at the first page is maybe 1 or 2 interesting threads (First Telltale game you played which I believe was made into a thread before) Other than that is stuff that should probably be in forum games, threads that could easily go into the thread that's even a sticky, Telltale should make thread or things like Likes, Top 10's, and others.

TMM 2 character list

Abe Fawful

Wilson Derketzer (Isn’t it obvious)

Steven Brush (StrongBrush1)

Benson Milford (original character)

Danny MacTavish (Haggis)

Joseph Smirnoff (Comrade Pants)

Rebecca Flesk

Ryan Clinton ( Ryannumber1gamer)

Colonel Harold Triton (Blind Sniper)

Natasha Smirnoff (original)

Alice Thatcher (original)

Captain John Wolf (Silverwolfpet)

Orson Welles

EDIT: Edward Monk (Friar)

Remember how I made the mistake of making Alcoremortis' character a guy? Well, making flesk a woman was completely on purpose this time.

Aw not my corpse? My aspirations of a weekend at bernie's-esk fate dashed. Darn. Well it was good to die.

Aw not my corpse? My aspirations of a weekend at bernie's-esk fate dashed. Darn. Well it was good to die.

Oh, you appear in a nightmare sequence, so you've nothing to worry about.

Also, I give you full permission to write a spin-off featuring your decaying corpse.

TMM 2 character list

Abe Fawful

Wilson Derketzer (Isn’t it obvious)

Steven Brush (StrongBrush1)

Benson Milford (original character)

Danny MacTavish (Haggis)

Joseph Smirnoff (Comrade Pants)

Rebecca Flesk

Ryan Clinton ( Ryannumber1gamer)

Colonel Harold Triton (Blind Sniper)

Natasha Smirnoff (original)

Alice Thatcher (original)

Captain John Wolf (Silverwolfpet)

Orson Welles

Darn, I didn't make the cut again. Ah well, Friar for TMM3!

Looking forward to reading it nonetheless! Do we have a start date? Also, I had an e-mail saying I had an unread PM from you the other day (which I assume was this post), but there was nothing in my inbox... Yay technology!

Y'know what? I'll try to work you in.

No start date, seeing as how I'm still working on TMM 1. Perhaps in Q3 of the year I'll have an update.

As for TMM 3, it's a long shot but if you guys want it after 2, then I'll do it.