Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Yeah that's another thing that's been annoying me about TWD Season 2 and TWAU. It's taking way more time to make the episodes than their other games yet it has less play time. You also have to remember for the other games, they have to come up with puzzles, jokes and comments for clicking on random things and more in their old games.

I'll give them that it takes a little longer to come up with ways to have comments and actions meaningful in later episodes but still when it comes to the old games, it just makes me wonder exactly how they have more game time in their older games which also had puzzles that needed to be thought out where and how to have them work in the game but yet they got them out every month (With sometimes small delays)

The final chapter of TMM is coming in 2 weeks. The epilogue will be released the day after.

While the episodes are shorter (though not as much as people think), it is also impossible to see all content in one play through.

I'll give them that it takes a little longer to come up with ways to have comments and actions meaningful in later episodes but still when it comes to the old games, it just makes me wonder exactly how they have more game time in their older games which also had puzzles that needed to be thought out where and how to have them work in the game but yet they got them out every month (With sometimes small delays)

Puzzles are really just a game design document issue, which if I remember correctly in interviews and commentaries and such, Telltale had mostly finished for the complete season before the season had finished. It's the programming of all of the branching that's causing it to take so long now.

As an example, the adventure game I'm working on now has dialog for every thing you try to look at, talk to, or pick up. Since it's all part of the same room script, I can get all of those comments and jokes in there in a minute or two. I have one branch in my game, where it looks to see if you did something in one room in order to access something in another (and it was independent of the inventory function which isn't an issue since it's designed to keep track of items from one room to the other). Writing that code took me at least five times as long, since I had to keep track of actions in multiple scenes and in multiple rooms.

Yes but to balance that out, most people would rather just wait until the whole season comes out and do a full replay. To be fair here, you will only be seeing different reactions and different lines but it will still be the same story, gameplay etc only once again with different lines and reactions.

But is that enough to justify more development time for less game time when the older games had far more replay value in that you can explore everywhere and always find new jokes and comments for new things and yet had a longer playtime, and had a month between each other instead of 2-3 months.

Even then you can make the same comment for BTTF The Game which had moments where you had to pick only one line and then would have to replay it in order to find new jokes such as in Episode 3 during the Citizen Brown interview.

While the episodes are a little shorter I do have to point out that they're a heck of a lot less buggier than their releases of old. It was a regular occurrence for me to have at least one episode in a series where the game crashed during a specific scene every time. These news releases, while the menus can be highly irresponsive at times, the actual gameplay has been pretty bug free.

I understand that developing a branch is harder than making comments and jokes Jen, but again to be fair, we have to compare it to earlier games made by TTG. This is another reason why going back to the style of S&M can benefit them. By doing that, they can go back to their roots, win back some old fans, show them they do care about them after the whole TWD and new forum situation, hopefully go back to their normal development of 1 month per episode etc, and giving everyone a nice break from TV or Movie licensed games.

For example there is games like Sam & Max and Strong Bad who people really want to see another season for it. Even in Strong Bad's side, it would be a spectacular return for Homestar Runner after such a long time since it got updated (Not counting April Fools 2014).

But for people who remember back when the new forums were launched, Darth and a few other members including myself got into a whole debate about the whole system with one of TTG's staff (I can't remember exactly who it was though) where it was discussed that with both TWD and TWAU, Things were just going to turn into a worst repeat of TWD Season 1. Anyway this went into a whole debate that TTG's new style was just adventure games refined and better while others believed that it changed the gameplay completely by getting rid of puzzles and making it more based on branching.

Here's where two main problems of this comes in. 1.The branching causing stupid complaints, such as a character who will not be named dying and then everyone demanding she magically return saying ''Oh hey guys, oh yeah I managed to survive getting killed, ran here extremely fast, and avoid zombies all at once!'' and secondly inconsistent dates of when the episodes came out.

This is where I am split. Because one side believes that a good chunk of debates about the dates were stupid because people were demanding the episodes, 1 or 2 weeks after another episode even ruining an anniversary post that all the old members of the forums was happy to get by complaining ''OMG WHERE IS THE NEXT EPISODE!?'' This is stupid. especially after only a week or two after the last episode.

But then on the other hand, there was also the EU PSN delays and delays that went until two months between episodes. On top of this there was when Ep 3 was very glitchy when it came out, people spoiling the episodes with fake titles etc and I'll admit it was either Episode 3 or 4, I actually did go on a rant about the EU delays although to be fair, this was after having major parts of the episode spoiled for me and I was feeling angry about the episode being spoiled.

To put it simply. This time was a complete and utter nightmare for the mods including Darth,Jen, and Vain (and I think Guru but I'm not sure) as they mainly kept their eyes on the TWD forums. So on top of all this, there was also a flood of spambots on the forums which ended up making things harder. My point here is that with all of this, TWD during episodes 1-5 was a complete nightmare to sort through. Mind you that's not to say there was no cool members who joined because there was some members who joined just to be able to discuss the game and were nice to have joined the forums.

So the longer dates for the episodes to come out now coupled with less game time, honestly just make things worse and It does begin to give these members a fair point. TWD and TWAU as well can't be any easier for the mods because while I don't visit the TTG forums as often anymore, I do remember when the Suggestions thread along with the TWD forums was flooded with fighting and threads that were made to say how good a character is etc and along with this....

Most of the mods left at this point as well having finally put up with enough of the forums, having had survived TWD Season 1 but when the forum update hit with most people giving TTG a lot of advance warnings saying that the new forums is shit when it was in beta, and most left, having finally had enough of putting up with the new forum.

I'm sorry for going into this whole long description of what went down but honestly, I just had to give my thoughts on it. The old forums was a great community of members who all had interesting discussions, for example Darth in the R&C thread, or TGWTG thread, or NoName in the Batman thread of his TTG murder mystery, it was a really great community to have. That's what the whole story of TWD,the new forums and everything did. It managed to break up a great community with most of them coming here.

There is also a great thread that was posted by a former mod on the TTG forums that was a brilliant retelling of the whole story from his Point of View and it really is a great thread although there's no telling how far back it is since if I remember, it got sunk which mean't it couldn't be bumped by comments. Once again, I'm sorry for going really off topic here but I just wanted to give my opinion on the whole thing.

The new Telltale games are really a different genre (or sub-genre at least) compared to what they were doing before, and even the Telltale team acknowledges that as they are branding them as cinematic story games. I'm not sure if they intend to go back to graphic adventures or not (no one knows what they have on their plate as they are a lot less open to talking about their in development projects until a year or so before release, which honestly is probably a good thing after the Jurassic Park and King's Quest situations).

If it wasn't for Poker Night 2 (and Kevin Bruner's comments that they are still planning on doing smaller Pilot Program style games, with Sam & Max included in them, no less), I'd probably assume that the cinematic story games are the only ones they would be releasing. But, hopefully they have plans to release some games in other genres soon, since I agree they should take a bit of a break (even in the early days, they had their CSI games to break up the game releases of the same type of game). It would be great if they pulled a situation like Poker Night 2, and released a Pilot Program game after The Walking Dead Season Two ends.

I doubt we'll be seeing any full seasons of games outside of their cinematic story games though, unless they publish a game developed by a different developer, like they did with Hector (actually since Hector's developer is working on multiple new projects now, it would be great to see another one of them come to fruition with the help of Telltale).

To be perfectly honest, I've given up all hope of Telltale doing classic adventure games any more. They've moved on to this new style of games which I like to call 'character-based RPGs', and all I can really hope is that they tackle a license I find interesting.

It's not just the new direction Telltale's taken game-wise, it's also how they interact with their fans. They used to do that all the time - I'm sure others who were around TTG forums before me will tell you of this - but now there's... well, there's nothing but vague "soon" threads.

It's really depressing that they've turned from one of my favourite companies to something so generic.

And now, because you demanded it, here's my post explaining what happened to the Telltale forums.

Also, I've been wondering what the difference is between "a massive crush" and being in love. PzGxpjS.gif

It is sad to see the change. I really miss the Halloween contests the most.

It's good that some of the good things are coming back though, like the collector's DVDs for just the cost of shipping (hopefully the features are more like the Sam & Max DVDs and less like the Wallace & Gromit one).

And, since you posted the crush quote, I have to say that most of all I'm hoping Telltale still knows how much 80 dollars is.

Yeah the link that Darth post more or less goes more into detail of why people were outraged with the new forum while my post more or less goes into the whole story starting from TWD to The new Forum and explaining why the whole thing was just a plain nightmare for mods and forum members alike when TWD came along. Darth's post is a very good description of the whole mess that the new forum turned into and I suggest people read it to truly understand in detail why we left the forums.

@Darth Love is a two way thing imo.

Eg: We love Double Fine, but have a massive crush on Telltale.

To a lot of us, we are TTG's scorned ex-lover.

That is very true though.

@Darth Love is a two way thing imo.

Eg: We love Double Fine, but have a massive crush on Telltale.

I wonder what the difference is between having a massive crush and being in love.

Hi again.

I finally played 'Broken Age: Part 1' and let me just summarise by stating what's already been stated many times over by other human beings with hands...

* Graphics are lovely and divine. I literally tried making love to my monitor upon first booting the game up. Due to my bodily fluids being incompatible with the current version of the game, I ended up in A&E. Hopefully, this will be patched for a future release.

* The voice acting is marvelous. The way the actors use the sound emanating from their throats to convey both a state of blissful happiness and sheer indifference in equal measure is stunning. Also, they pronounce their words correctly. Not once did someone say "sausage" instead of "hello".

* The puzzles are quite easy but then again, so are hookers and I love hookers.

* Game needs more llamas. Hire Jeff Minter for Part 2.

Bye again.

That is a very nice and accurate review. In addition I also really liked the story. My only issue with the game is that I'm not so fond of hookers. Oh, and I sorely missed a dedicated "look" button.

As I said over on the Telltale site - can someone explain why that video is funny? 'cause I'm not seeing it.

Me neither.

Also, me neither. And to think that video has 70,000+ views, when there's much funnier videos on YouTube that struggle to break 100 views. I guess that's the "Peter Kay effect" for you!

I didn't find the commentary that funny myself(except for the fan pun), it's the modding itself that really interests me. Being able to change such a "dramatic" game like that until it's completely ridiculous, I mean.

As I said over on the Telltale site - can someone explain why that video is funny? 'cause I'm not seeing it.

Me neither.

Also, me neither. And to think that video has 70,000+ views, when there's much funnier videos on YouTube that struggle to break 100 views. I guess that's the "Peter Kay effect" for you!

Keth Lemon uses that effect.

I didn't find the commentary that funny myself(except for the fan pun), it's the modding itself that really interests me. Being able to change such a "dramatic" game like that until it's completely ridiculous, I mean.

Yeah. But all he did was swap out models. Which could be funny but those models then have no animations which kills it for me.

Yeah, the mod to make Bigby pole dance was actually funny. I don't know what people are seeing in this.

Oh look, I come home from work to find 35 notifications in my feed, most of which are people begging Telltale for information and complaining when they don't get any, despite this always being how Telltale's worked.

cooooooooooooooome on telltale, pleeeeease release it, pleeeeeeeease i am begging over here!
Liartale is extremely late once again. Well done, Liartale. You can't find the word 'loyalty' in the corporate handbook.
Is there any news??
This takes to long
Nothing yet? Omg, I'm gonna hurt myself with the closest object. I'm so impatient, because I'm sure the end of waiting is gonna end very soon, with the right meaning of soon. But I don't know when exactly.

...I f**king hate that foru-COMMUNITY.

Why don't you leave? At the end of the day, it is just a forum. One for a company that has fallen out of your favor. Unless I'm missing something here, and this is an actual job for you.

I am indeed a mod. And seemingly the only one around at around 8:00 GMT, when a bunch of spambots tend to appear. Yay.

If it weren't for the fact that I AM a mod, I'd have left when the site changed, much like everyone else. But I kinda feel like I owe it to Telltale to keep going with this, to help try and keep order in the place - especially since there are so few other mods. It's just a shame that Telltale seem hell-bent on making our jobs so much harder than it should be.

Seriously - it's only now, at around the 8 MONTH MARK, that we're finally going to be getting the option to automatically delete someone's posts at the same time we ban them. 8 MONTHS. I just... it staggers me how badly put together this entire thing was.

Oh look, I come home from work to find 35 notifications in my feed, most of which are people begging Telltale for information and complaining when they don't get any, despite this always being how Telltale's worked.

Ye olde community appeared more patient, but it had to have less patience usually - and it possessed more trust through experience to begin with.

The 'insult to improve' communicative strategy, however, was applied by both the Walking Dead crowd as well as the Sam & Max crowd eventually, with none left on the moral higher ground. :(

He's a mod, I guess he feels sorry for the other mods. But is it worth it in the end?

Substitute pity with loyalty and you're on to something here. Yet eventually, mods mod for the community as part of the community. It's a community service and nothing else. No infunctional forum and no lost connection to the game mechanics of the company kills the enthusiasm if your bond to the community is strong. But if the connection to the community ceases to exist... your wish to mod the forums does too. Eventually, that might end my reign as well.

I... dammit, why do you always have to find a way of phrasing things so much more eloquently than me?

There's a reason I love hanging out here. It's because we're all just friends, hanging out and chatting, sometimes messing around (hi hot!) but generally having decent conversations about stuff. It's a nice place to hang out.

Telltale... it's a f**king schoolyard over there, and I grew out of that sort of thing YEARS ago. I don't like hanging out in that place because it's not the sort of crowd I like to associate myself with. I wanna chat with people who know stuff, people I can engage in a healthy debate with, people who appreciate the value of proper grammar. I simply can't find that over there. I can here.

...well, most of the time (hi coolsome!).

Frankly, I think you should relinquish your command. You're the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dam. Leave and let nature take its course. Maybe then the king and his court will finally wake up.

TTGs little Dutch boy. lol Sorry, but that's kind of funny.

The community isn't any more impatient. The people Telltale brought into their community by altering their demographic are. They asked for it and are telling all the mods to deal with it. They have become more closed lipped than ever in the age where the target demographic demand more information than ever... but that's not their problem. It's yours.